Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Is it normal for guys to ask personal questions before meeting you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 clooneystutor
Msg: 26
Is it normal for guys to ask personal questions before meeting you?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Does this mean it's ok for a proctologist to ask me about....nah, won't go there...
 gtomustang
Msg: 27
I'm not a doctor, but i play one on TV
Posted: 6/25/2015 10:43:00 AM
I'm sorry Clooney-toons, you're looking for the post about a-holes. that's two up and off to the right.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Is it normal for guys to ask personal questions before meeting you?
Posted: 6/25/2015 12:18:22 PM

How many sex partners have you had? and details about what I did with guys I've dated in the past.

That's the sounds of an overly-jealous guy. Not cool. I could see questions about what you find gets on your nerves about guys, what gets you going well with guys, etc. To get a feel for how you flow, dos and don'ts, etc. But that's about it.
 asiangal246
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/25/2015 2:40:03 PM
^^ Yeah he also asked if I am talking to other guys online and asked if I could stop going on dates & only focus on him. I'm a grown women, I can do whatever I want. I never said I wanted a relationship with him. I have the right to see/talk to more than one person during the dating stage if that's what I want. Definitely a red flag that he could be the jealous/possessive type.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/25/2015 2:50:15 PM

Does this mean it's ok for a proctologist to ask me about....

I dunno clooney, I saw a sign at the proc's office at the med center..... for a faster more efficient customer service experience..please back in

OP, ditch the guy.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2015 8:21:32 PM
I knew a few guys that had some really****yed ideas about dating and women. One told me that he thought that women were sluts if they had sex twice. I then asked Mr. Stupid if he was going to have a ton of girlfriends after he got married, or go celibate after he had sex once with his new wife. For some strange reason, I didn't get an answer.
 gtomustang
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/25/2015 8:57:11 PM
I had a proctologist who looked like he wanted to ask me a question yesterday. I guess something was bothering him, but he just couldn't put his finger on it.

There are weird guys out there. there are guys out there with weird ideas. if they expose themselves (so to speak) before meeting, they actually did you a favor--you won't waste your time getting to know their weirdness.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/27/2015 2:07:34 PM
If someone asks questions that are too probing, shut them down. You have a right to maintain comfortable boundaries.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2015 7:14:41 PM
I used to assume the guys that asked the probing personal questions would not be showing up anytime soon but I was wrong. Went along with a guy who was being very personal, asked him the same sort of questions and he didn't like it. Out of curiosity I did meet him but all he talked about was sex..... pass.....
 BarbieJ13
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/14/2018 9:37:13 PM
I think it's unfortunately the "way" some people think they are "getting to know you." However, I think a lot of questions before meeting you are way too intrusive! I mean, you haven't even MET this person, and they want or expect you to divulge your most intimate or personal questions to them online! It definitely shows extreme poor taste, lack of judgment, and that they don't have a sense of proper boundaries! And in my opinion, it's no one's business ever -- except you and GOD -- how "many" partners you've had!
 BarbieJ13
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/14/2018 9:40:23 PM
Isn't it funny how someone who hasn't even met you, or established a relationship with you, wants you to just 'stop everything' and put them first. No. How do you even know you will like him once you get to know him? Relationships take TIME, and far too many people think this is some kind of a race or that they have an "expiration date." Respect yourself and set boundaries.
 BarbieJ13
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/14/2018 9:43:33 PM
Absolutely agree! This is a first meeting folks. Just because it's online should make NO difference.
 from site to sight
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/15/2018 6:33:45 AM

...far too many people think this is some kind of a race or that they have an "expiration date."

People want some sort of guarantee, that if they are to meet a stranger from the internet, that it will be like a fairy tale, where it's love at first sight, get married shortly after, and live happily ever after. Dating without an immediate promise of marriage is a waste of time to a lot of people who are mate shopping. They want a perfect mate right now-if not sooner.

The problem is, if dating is treated like a business, dates become like job interviews, and questions via text feel like filling out a job application form. And the dating phase will become like a probationary period.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2018 7:03:05 PM
I recently blocked a guy from here, who in Text messages to me (after days of regular ones, and we were going to be doing a meet fairly soon) He ask me,, "so no BF who loves all over you" It didnt click at first. I said im not seeing anyone, what did you q mean,, he repletes it.
-----I messaged back that that was a q that was no concern of his, and that he otta know better. stupid man,,,,
 Tyro327
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/22/2018 10:23:22 PM
I think it's all about where your comfort zone is if you feel a sex question is don't answer it, them it's none of their business cause really it is not. Personal to me starts right in the generic I don't like giving that sh!t out to begin with, so to strangers yeah it kinda took some getting used too.
 hemingway234
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/23/2018 10:43:29 AM
Yes it's too fast. One of the biggest problems in dating is men moving too fast. So talk to a better one.

Yes, I know this thread is old. So am I.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2018 11:19:54 AM

I think a lot of questions before meeting you are way too intrusive! I mean, you haven't even MET this person, and they want or expect you to divulge your most intimate or personal questions to them online!

It's desperation or fear of who they're mingling with. As if they're getting into an arranged marriage and about to meet the parents upon 1st meet. Some people do need to chill-the-hell-out when it comes to the dating scene... they just cause themselves trouble ("But I'm looking out for myself!!"; no, you're ruining it for yourself).

That said, asking how many people you porked isn't a question you want to be asking, pre-meeting, after meeting, or once dating. I can see it when you're college age, with only the # of years one would be having sex countable on 1 hand. But even then -- you're only being weird about it.

Better ways to check for red flags. They show through soon enough. Usually, not requiring any weird history on anything -- usually, it's just a lack of liking the other enough.
Posted: 6/8/2018 9:11:18 PM
I've had dates tell me some very personal things about themselves without me asking. It just came out as part of their life story.

As for asking the number of people someone has slept with, some men (okay, a lot of men) and some women don't mind talking about it. A lot of us aren't 20 anymore. I'm wondering how people even remember their number now.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2018 10:51:46 PM
Q: How many sex partners have I had?
A: Not enough. At least - not yet.
 lulz567
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2018 3:09:33 PM
They only understand your personal boundaries by a Block, Next approach.Then ask someone else, till they get the desired results. It’s hook up questions. No cherry or fancy frills, just straight up getting to the point , while engaging by the information received, how easy or willing your bones might be to jump. Working out if it will cost them a McDonald’s and numerous hours ,before they can go in for the sex, that’s if they want to meet you, some do it just for stimulating sex chat at home,because they don’t want to pay a dollar a minute phone service. Randy but Randy cheap is the kind.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Is it normal for guys to ask personal questions before meeting you?