Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HawkingJr
Msg: 351
view profile
History
Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.Page 15 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
“at a certain appearance level and population density, its best to wait for someone to show interest.”

Yup... worked out pretty well for me the last couple of years on here...

“Apparently, you were discussing that, given that you made the comment about not knowing your type - twice.”

Although you can search by supposed personality type on POF, what you suggested is not one of the options, and no one would actually write that into his or her profile. You can search for certain heights, you can search for certain body types, you can search for certain ages, you can search for certain ethnicities, you can search for certain incomes – you cannot search for “misanthropic” or “clinically depressed.” So your suggestion is pretty worthless for this discussion. I need something that is searchable to improve the efficiency of my messaging.

"A good app would be one that logs and signs out a profile every few minutes.:)"

I don't have the app on my phone but haven't many others said that the app logs you on continuously until you sign out of it? Of course, I would imagine that as far as searches go, it only checks when you initially signed on, not when you were last counted as being signed in. In which case, yes, that sounds like a good app to invent.
 ohenryx
Msg: 352
view profile
History
Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.
Posted: 8/12/2015 10:17:30 AM

^ Good Lord. How many women do you need?

Depends, how many you got?:)

+1, a big thumbs up to that!

the majority of any success I had with OLD ( in terms of getting emails and dates ) came from women that contacted me first.

Ditto, I rarely bother sending msgs anymore. Seems futile.

But SOMEONE has to take that first step. If everyone is sitting back, waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting, it is NEVER going to happen!

I have found that this (dating, meeting women, getting dates) is far easier at my advanced age of 64 than it ever was before. And I am fairly picky. I think (stress think, not know) that is because so many men in my age bracket have simply given up.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 353
Posted: 8/12/2015 10:24:59 AM

I think (stress think, not know) that is because so many men in my age bracket have simply given up.

That....or dead. Not laughing at you...laughing with you. I'm right there. :)
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2015 10:51:17 AM

don't have the app on my phone but haven't many others said that the app logs you on continuously until you sign out of it? Of course, I would imagine that as far as searches go, it only checks when you initially signed on, not when you were last counted as being signed in. In which case, yes, that sounds like a good app to invent.

I heard that also, or at least that is what users say when questioned why they are online. :)

But being logged in continuously is actually detrimental if one want to be noticed in searches and online now. Much better to manually log oneself out.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 355
Posted: 8/12/2015 12:19:47 PM
FOX JAZZ CLUB SUPER SINGLES MEET AND GREET AUGUST 12,Page 1 of 1

Welcome to Tampa’s Newest Premier Dating Event at the Number One Nightspot!!!
*Super singles Wednesday* happening at the one and only*

FOX JAZZ CLUB
5401 W Kennedy Blvd, Tampa 33609

In case a certain someone missed the link - 142 signed up currently, IN TAMPA located in the heart of the city. Runs from 7 TONIGHT till 2am. And women who go to these things often [usually] bring friends....
 HawkingJr
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2015 12:53:25 PM
“FOX JAZZ CLUB SUPER SINGLES MEET AND GREET AUGUST 12”

I clicked on the dozen or so who I figured MIGHT be under 40 – turns out I was wrong about most of those, they just looked younger in a thumbnail. Most of the remaining ones actually under 40 were at least 3 inches taller than me. This leaves two that were my height or shorter and under 40. I’ve been rejected by both of them already, both of which have children so I’m not really sure why I contacted them to begin with other than bored or in need of a shot of confidence (not given).

This is actually a pretty typical pattern with me and POF events. Like I said, they skew very old. Plus hanging out with women who have rejected you is kind of awkward. Assuming they remember me. According to my contact history, that was months ago, during the disastrous soul-sucking April blitzkrieg.

I actually have dinner with my best friend tonight, and as a married woman, no, she isn’t interested in going to a POF event. (Actually, she probably would, because she’s been my wingwoman on many occasions, but we already have reservations with another couple somewhere nowhere near the Westshore area, though that is very close to where I work, so in that sense, and that sense alone, too bad. Although there is a forums regular signed up for the event -- would be interesting to meet her, though I have never had a single interaction with her in the forums. But at least she could have been another person to attest to my non-forum personality, since none of you believe the ones that met me the first time.)
 spot4username
Msg: 357
Posted: 8/12/2015 1:55:04 PM

Although there is a forums regular signed up for the event -- would be interesting to meet her, though I have never had a single interaction with her in the forums. But at least she could have been another person to attest to my non-forum personality, since none of you believe the ones that met me the first time.

Next time I am in Orlando will you meet me halfway? What is that... Lakeland (yuck)... I'll just come to Tampa. We can browse POF and attest to how there are no matches for us AND we can validate one another's existence.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 358
Posted: 8/12/2015 2:32:36 PM
^ I can't even believe this, the amount of support this guy gets. Just because I can't prove it mathematically doesn't mean I'm not more pathetic than he is!

Hawking: Hey! You! Get off of my thread! (The Rolling Stones, with a twist.)
 spot4username
Msg: 359
Posted: 8/12/2015 2:40:05 PM

^ I can't even believe this, the amount of support this guy gets. Just because I can't prove it mathematically doesn't mean I'm not more pathetic than he is!

Hawking: Hey! You! Get off of my thread! (The Rolling Stones, with a twist.)

Are you close to me? I'll meet you too sugar! *winks awkwardly*
 6146Catch
Msg: 360
Posted: 8/12/2015 6:56:27 PM
One thing I really hate about being 6'6" is when strangers give me the cross-eyed stare and make stupid blurting noises. I even bought a bright orange T-shirt that says STOP STARING AT ME but it didn't do a damn bit of good.

In my next life, I want to be 3 foot 11.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 361
Posted: 8/12/2015 7:07:26 PM

One thing I really hate about being 6'6" is when strangers give me the cross-eyed stare and make stupid blurting noises

Either you're stepping on their feet or they're trying to hold that dope smoke in. :/
 6146Catch
Msg: 362
Posted: 8/12/2015 7:17:21 PM
Or, they're a couple of cans short of a 6-pack.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 363
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2015 8:21:26 PM

^ I can't even believe this, the amount of support this guy gets. Just because I can't prove it mathematically doesn't mean I'm not more pathetic than he is

Yea really, when I first joined I had a legit goddamn gripe about a girl flaking ou, aot really even complaining just used it as the basis of the topic and I was told to suck it up and then straight up insulted. I should have added some damn statistics to it, made myself 6 inches shorter and wrote a narrative essay.
 gtomustang
Msg: 364
apparently, the squeaky wheel might get hisself well-greased
Posted: 8/12/2015 8:26:56 PM
well, you know what women say about guys who have big posts....

VVVV micheal romeo
 Blackwood85
Msg: 365
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2015 8:32:43 PM

Lima Oscar Lima.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 366
Posted: 8/12/2015 9:57:15 PM

VVVV micheal romeo

Have I ever told you that your sense of humor has made me roll on the floor so many times...
 HawkingJr
Msg: 367
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2015 5:47:15 AM
“Next time I am in Orlando will you meet me halfway? What is that... Lakeland (yuck)... I'll just come to Tampa. We can browse POF and attest to how there are no matches for us AND we can validate one another's existence.”

Interestingly, the only reason I’ve ever been to Lakeland (other than stopping for gas on the way to or from Orlando) was to meet women from OLD. I really have no problem going to Orlando, unless you just want to visit Tampa.

“Yea really, when I first joined I had a legit goddamn gripe about a girl flaking ou, aot really even complaining just used it as the basis of the topic and I was told to suck it up and then straight up insulted. I should have added some damn statistics to it, made myself 6 inches shorter and wrote a narrative essay.”

You do realize that it’s your own fault that I’m even in this thread?

“Hawking: Hey! You! Get off of my thread!”

See above. Actually, I don’t understand why you and Blackwood aren’t happy with my participation in this thread, because I’ve been hammered like Judge Judy’s lectern.
 spot4username
Msg: 368
Posted: 8/13/2015 7:25:51 AM

Interestingly, the only reason I’ve ever been to Lakeland (other than stopping for gas on the way to or from Orlando) was to meet women from OLD. I really have no problem going to Orlando, unless you just want to visit Tampa.

My youngest is at UCF and my best friend lives in Orlando so I pop down there every other month or so. Next time I know I am coming down I'll message you! It would be great fun if we could get a few of the other local forum folks together. I'll take this out of the thread and message them as well when I have a time frame.

On an aside the OP never responded to my offer *sadface*
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 369
Posted: 8/13/2015 11:58:06 AM
(So now the thread title is changed in honour of the guy. Good thing it's really really funny, or I would have snapped.)

Spot: The OP was a little offended at the "awkward wink". But then the OP thought about it and decided she was in no position to be choosey, as that was more action than she's likely to get any time soon. Now here's the deal. For me to reach civilization, it's about a three month trec through the wilderness. You're welcome to come to my place but if you bring that funny little man, do be warned that every time he speaks he will likely be sent to stand in the corner. And igloos don't even have corners, so he's bound to be confused.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 370
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2015 12:24:04 PM

Men have to login to send MSGs, but women don't have to login to see if they have any MSG, they will get an email.

Reading the POF message or seeing who sent you one logs you in, just as sending one does. Most people have it via Apps in their phone. If they want to get rid of that alert, they click on it -- and that makes them logged in. Most people use it via their phone most of the time anyway. Even via E-Mail, to check who wrote them or the message -- you're logged in. Plus, not every guy is writing girls Every Single Day, either -- but many women have at least Some messages coming in almost every day. Online within 24 hours is a good size. I've done counts on different days at different times -- the ratios don't swing differently.

Men (likely) spend More time on it, but all one has to do is log in once to click on a received message alert from their phone, or to click on a message / profile from their email, and they're logged in -- just the same as a guy spending 8 hours scheming the 'perfect' message to a gal that day.

Dragon/NG- As for the stats, I would like to see how many are registered in my city but when I tried your experiment with just one age (45) it came out over 700. It comes out over 700 every single age I tried. Just damn too many people here. Being within 5 miles of any zip is like million people.

First do it by Adv Search and stop paging over after it's no longer active-in-24-hours. That's always key. Second, do it by age range that isn't too big. 5m radius of zip code 77015, your general area, doesn't bring in non-fat gals (age 27-30) 700+. It's much less. Also, Log Out when you do it, so your existence doesn't auto-filter. 25 mile radius brings in too many, though.

^ Good Lord. How many women do you need?

2 at one time. Just 2 at one time (...eyes looking up at clouds, dreaming...). Only greedy guys would want more than 2 at one time. POF's ratio tends to be about 2 active guys to every 1 active gal, so I guess one should expect the gal to say "2 at one time". ;)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 371
Posted: 8/13/2015 12:40:24 PM

One thing I really hate about being 6'6" is when strangers give me the cross-eyed stare and make stupid blurting noises. I even bought a bright orange T-shirt that says STOP STARING AT ME but it didn't do a damn bit of good.

A lot of my friends are relatives are tall, my cousin is 6.5 and built sort of like you. The males on my fathers side are all tall. Naturally most of my friends are taller than me, as taller than me is the average . But for some reason many friends are 6.0, 6.2, 6.4, 6.6.

Oddly enough, if I meet someone my height, 5.5 or shorter, I think geez, are they short. Talk about a double standard, I seldom think of myself as short and it's very rare anyone mentions it.

It mostly never causes me to think about height from 5.8- up to maybe 6.6.

But one couple I met in Thailand, I did ask the guy how tall he was. Because he must have been at least 6.9, and his GF looked over 6.0. It was so odd to see them in the hotel lobby and his head was a few inches from the ceiling. He kind of resented me asking, he never told me how tall he was.

Dragon/NG- As for the stats, I would like to see how many are registered in my city but when I tried your experiment with just one age (45) it came out over 700. It comes out over 700 every single age I tried. Just damn too many people here. Being within 5 miles of any zip is like million people.

BTW, here is the way I would look at densely populated area like New York City, using zip code 10010, one way to narrow the results below the 700 max for an advanced search would be pick some preference where we already know the national average, which would be height.

I went with +/- one inch of average height of 5.5 for women and 5.10 for men.

For instance, in 100010 for 55-60 year old, you get 687 women Vs 580 men.

Gender Height Age # of people

Male 5.9 - 5.11 55-60 580
Female 5.4-5.6 55-60 697 (20% more women}

Male 5.9 - 5.11 35-35 352 (109% more men)
Female 5.4-5.6 35-35 168

So at one age group of 55-60 there are 20% more women searching, while at the age group of 35 there are over 2X more men search. Filtering for average height +/- inch for both genders.

It's not perfect, but I think it would provide a pretty good estimate. Of course POF would know much more precisely since they have a better access to the numbers.

I would never use body type for this kind of analysis, but online within 24 hours is sort of OK but I wouldn't use it because it's always going to require a manual count. And if someone never gets MSGs or responses, they will quickly stop going online. But not all of them delete their profile. I would think the most popular people looking for an ego boost or the most desperate would spend much more time online than someone with average results.

Height it easily qualified, so filter by height is the easiest if you need to limit your data pool.

We aren't looking for people to date with this analysis, just looking to see how many men/women in different age cohorts.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 372
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2015 1:28:37 PM
Zip 10010: 5 mile radius, online within 24 hours, non-fat or pref-not-to-say...
Age 18-19: Women: 83, Men: 128 [60.7% men]
Age 21-22: Women: 192, Men: 462 [70.6% men]
Age 23-23: Women: 134, Men: 370 [73.4% men]
Age 25-25: Women: 186, Men: 554 [74.9% men]
Age 29-29: Women: 161, Men: 466 [74.3% men]
Age 32-32: Women: 129, Men: 341 [72.6% men]
Age 35-36: Women: 290, Men: 681 [70.1% men]
Age 40-42: Women: 292, Men: 569 [66.1% men]
Age 45-48: Women: 306, Men: 456 [59.8% men]
Age 50-55: Women: 301, Men: 422 [58.4% men]
Age 55-60: Women: 235, Men: 245 [51.0% men]
Age 60-65: Women: 318, Men: 328 [50.8% men] *10 mile radius for more of the living*
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 373
Posted: 8/13/2015 4:45:59 PM
Although you can search by supposed personality type on POF, what you suggested is not one of the options, and no one would actually write that into his or her profile.
-----------
Oh, excuse me. I read profiles and I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that other people did, too. However, that's not particularly relevant since your comment was that you didn't know what your type is. You didn't say anything about how to search for it.

--------------
You can search for certain heights, you can search for certain body types, you can search for certain ages, you can search for certain ethnicities, you can search for certain incomes – you cannot search for “misanthropic” or “clinically depressed.”
-------------
I never bothered with search parameters, except for age. (Okc doesn't have body type searches except for paid upgrades and that search didn't work like it was supposed to when I was dating.). I read the profiles and those things can frequently be inferred from what women write.

--------
So your suggestion is pretty worthless for this discussion.
-------
It wasn't up for discussion. It was addressed to the comment you made and your difficulty with implementing a search is your problem. Intelligence may be required, so look for some assistance.

--------
I need something that is searchable to improve the efficiency of my messaging.
--------
Efficiency is irrelevant when it takes so little time to send a message. What you need is to stop trolling. You go out of your way to discount any suggestion for improving your alleged dating difficulties, which indicates that you are just trolling and that you have no interest in what anyone tells you beyond wasting their time.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 374
Posted: 8/13/2015 4:48:49 PM
But SOMEONE has to take that first step. If everyone is sitting back, waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting, it is NEVER going to happen!
------------
Exactly, but it's just like the real world. There are people who do things and people who stand around waiting to be told what to do.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 375
Posted: 8/13/2015 4:54:20 PM
and people who quote stats/
Statistics are no substitute for judgment.
Henry Clay
I just read that people will indeed stand (zigzag not around) especially if there are people in a line up. So the more people standing around, more that will join the line.
They even announce fake wait times, so if the line moves faster the waitees are happy.
I'm not seguing well am I?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.