Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dragonbytes
Msg: 26
Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.Page 2 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)

At least 2 are physically a 6.

So does that mean very few above a 6 and the majority below a 6?
 Peas_
Msg: 27
Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.
Posted: 6/30/2015 6:55:47 AM

I thought he was speaking of dress size.

Most women in the US are size 12.
 Cdan1957
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2015 6:57:46 AM

What it actually means is that for whatever reason he feels the need to tell people on the forums that he gets 10 emails a week and at "least" 2 of them are relatively attractive. Thank goodness for the azzhats on this site without them it would be a boring place. Went to this persons profile and he actually has a picture of a Corvette (why orange though, looks like a pumpkin).....that is some funny sht. Jokingly I once told my girlfriend I was going to buy a Vette, she said "Have fun riding in it by yourself, I don't ride in penis cars"

Clooney, you be a funny dude!!! It looks like you looked up how to be an online azzhole and followed the steps...you actually posted a picture of your car!! funny stuff.
 Maleman999
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/30/2015 8:17:52 AM

I thought he was speaking of dress size.....
Most women in the US are size 12.

Further proof that men and women speak different languages. Guy's sizes go by actual measurements. If a guy buys pants that are a 32 waist by 34 inseam, it means the girth of the pants is 32 inches and the inseam length is 34 inches. Very logical. But a woman's size in clothes is some arbitrary number picked out of thin air that has no direct bearing on a woman's size. Whenever I asked a woman for an explanation of the numbering system for sizes, the usual answer I get is: "That's just the way it is."
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/30/2015 9:23:59 AM
I have to agree that even though no two sets of clothes are cut EXACTLY the same way, at least a 32 inch waist is remotely in the same ballpark - give or take an inch or two. Dress sizes (from what I'm told) provide almost no consistency between different production lines, even if they are sold at the same store under the same label.

Shopping at thrift stores I've found out is where a lot of mis-labeled size clothes end up. I've never seen so many one-person camping tents marked as a "Men's Medium" before. I suppose one could take pride in 'fitting' a particular clothing size provided the mis-labeled item is marked in their favor. Truth be damned.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/30/2015 9:27:51 AM

............woman's size in clothes is some arbitrary number picked out of thin air that has no direct bearing on a woman's size. Whenever I asked a woman for an explanation of the numbering system for sizes, the usual answer I get is: "That's just the way it is."

The woman who answered "That's just the way it is", was spot on. The clothing industry for women follow no rules. There is no standardization for sizes. Company/Manufacturer "A", can produce a size 10 pair of jeans, unlike Company, "B", "C", or "D", etc. A woman could try on 20 pairs of jeans, ALL size 10 and only one or two of them will fit right.
LOL I pretty much hate shopping for jeans!!!!

OT, Would I contact a user to notify them, there is an error in their profile? Only from the "Profile review" thread in the Forums. Otherwise, no.
Send a message to compliment a person for something in their profile? Yes, why not?
 gtomustang
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/30/2015 9:31:09 AM
anyone got a box of DingDongs? I have a sudden craving...as for mismatched sizes at consignment shops, I thought it was merely my experience. Like maybe the clothing had contracted in the wash or expanded upon use. In the case of consignment (outside wealthy Yuppie cites seems best), I finally understood why stereotypically, women in general enjoy shopping. you never knew what funky, neat, special article of clothing you might find.

otherwise, if I need something...I just wanna walk in, try, pay, walk out and get back to doing whatever I enjoy.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/30/2015 9:35:56 AM

............woman's size in clothes is some arbitrary number picked out of thin air that has no direct bearing on a woman's size. Whenever I asked a woman for an explanation of the numbering system for sizes, the usual answer I get is: "That's just the way it is."

The woman who answered "That's just the way it is", was spot on. The clothing industry for women follow no rules. There is no standardization for sizes. Company/Manufacturer "A", can produce a size 10 pair of jeans, unlike Company, "B", "C", or "D", etc. A woman could try on 20 pairs of jeans, ALL size 10 and only one or two of them will fit right.
LOL I pretty much hate shopping for jeans!!!!

OT, Would I contact a user to notify them, there is an error in their profile? Only from the "Profile review" thread in the Forums. Otherwise, no.
Send a message to compliment a person for something in their profile? Yes, why not?

I try to end my bad assumptions with the same stereotypical biker chick crowd that seems to show their faces every summer,.............

LOL, Much appreciated, Sweet Danimal!
 Peas_
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:28:29 AM
Ding Dongs, lmfao!

I agree ladyinred. Same with bras also. When I was a teenager I hated Lee jeans because they cut my gut in half whenever I sat down and rode up my crotch. That's when I discovered the "low risers" of my older brother's jeans in the dryer...lol.

Never shop at WallyWorld for pants. Ever. I think it's a conspiracy of the short Chinese clothing manufacturers that they shrink up the length after two washings to be high water short peoples pants. Consumerism at it's finest. grrrrr
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:59:22 AM

1) I like to inform people if they appear to have made an error on their profile that might reduce their chances of meeting someone to love them forever and ever. But here's where I get stumped: When a guy's profile says he's under five feet tall. What if I point out this error and it's actually true? But I know it can't have been true EVERY time I've seen it. Yes, these are the sorts of things I spend my time worrying about.

I think you can get a taste from the pics as to whether he's NOT under 5'0". If it looks like that's possible, no, don't say anything -- no need to. If your curiosity is so overrun and you HAVE to say something to that stranger where it's up in the air as to whether he's under 5 foot even though he doesn't Seem like he is but you can't say for sure, you can just ask politely.

Before that I hadn't noticed that he was shorter than me. Naturally, I didn't care. But later, with online dating, I found that when someone's profile would appeal to me I wouldn't message him if he was under 5'11".

Yeah, that's a standard thing. A guy around the same height as a gal isn't a shocker to see. Especially with gals wearing heels out and about and she even being a bit taller than he, if she's taller than most women. When it comes to Online: We're more picky with Prospects. We deal with data, hypothetical visualizations, etc. Many people are WAY more picky about it all -- mainly about LOOKS. Height is a big Looks thing, and it's specifically numeric -- so that cut-off is going to be huge online.

Yeah, some gals can say "Oh guys will lie about their height and height isn't looks, it's just a [insert excuse-BS here]," but really when it boils down to it -- it's about looks and it's about the common/natural thing being overly-picky when it comes to online. IRL, height does matter a lot, but a guy who's shorter, if clicking/meshing well with a gal has a much better chance of making it not mean quite as much. ESPECIALLY if he already knows her socially, and then has romance spark. For a guy who relies on engaging with strangers for dates, notably ONLINE, his below-average height is going to not mean as much. After all, when it comes to height for a guy, the key is more how he compares to OTHER GUYS in the environment, in terms of a gal getting that feel.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/30/2015 11:29:29 AM
The "no rules" thing for women's clothing is sooooooo true.

I buy colorful wacky leggings off ebay, and I have to order the 3XL size, HOPING I'll be able to squeeze into them. I've ordered XL size leggings that would barely fit a ten year old.

I mean we are talking "extra extra extra large"....what exactly would that look like, in your mind.

I end up with a pair of pants that would better fit a 13 year old.

Some of these pants, I think, are manufactured in Asia, and the sizes are DRASTICALLY different from American ones.

Re; height..I like short men and do not wear heels. Height, of all things, has never been an issue. Just not important.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/30/2015 11:55:06 AM

cdan1957:
It looks like you looked up how to be an online azzhole and followed the steps...you actually posted a picture of your car!! funny stuff.

How can you expect anyone to take your argument about pictures seriously, when you don't have a picture on your profile?

Are you implying that women posting pictures of their cars, motorcycles, boats, etc, are also azzholes?

I have a picture of my bike, and would love to meet someone who also rides. What's wrong with a guy displaying who he is and what he enjoys?

Anyone who doesn't like to see vehicles on a member profile have the choice to skip to the next profile. Is that simple.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/30/2015 12:30:28 PM
Some blocked out their pictures because they are forum dwellers and not date-seekers any more. There's nothing wrong with posting what you enjoy to do in your dating profile. People do it all the time. What you have no control over is how people decide to INTERPRET the value of your pictures. They don't have to be remotely close to what you consider 'valuable' - and often are not.

I one issue I see with your pics is having the copyright in the upper right corner of every single photo. That tells me you are vain about your property and feel the need to claim it everywhere - including a dating site which is really not considered a 'public' media outlet like your own web page or blog would be. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something, but that's the spin I get in just a glance, and that's pretty much all the time people spend on a profile.

A lot of people base their opinions on previous experiences. If they met a guy who had pics of their motorcycle or car in their profile and he turned out to be a materialistic douche, they assume by association you may be guilty of the same thing. Like I said - you have no control over what people think of you over the internet. Right or wrong, they are always 'right' until they decide to find out the truth.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/30/2015 12:58:17 PM
Sweet_Danimal, you just made a very valid point.

All the images on my profile showing a watermark/copyright, are also used on my personal blog.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/30/2015 1:31:47 PM
^ Your baby has facial hair. They seem to go through puberty younger and younger these days.
 Cdan1957
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2015 1:37:58 PM

Some blocked out their pictures because they are forum dwellers and not date-seekers any more. There's nothing wrong with posting what you enjoy to do in your dating profile. People do it all the time. What you have no control over is how people decide to INTERPRET the value of your pictures. They don't have to be remotely close to what you consider 'valuable' - and often are not.

Exactly correct Danimal, it is stated clearly in my profile that I am not here for dating but merely a forum dweller. I had my picture up for a while but thought if by chance someone just saw the picture without reading the profile they would get the wrong idea so I took it down.

Showing a bike may be trying to tell people you enjoy riding. Showing a picture of a Corvette doesn't really convey the idea that you enjoy driving. As I have heard many times and tend to agree. Perception is reality. Clooney comes across as a real DB and I am guessing he does it on purpose...it makes me laugh.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/30/2015 1:43:22 PM
Cdan - regarding your previous post: I'm very sorry that your girlfriend doesn't like penises :(
 Cdan1957
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2015 1:46:05 PM
She likes them just fine. Riding on them good, riding in them, not so much. I am partial to boobs but....I think you get the drift.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/30/2015 1:51:52 PM

Whatsamatterbaby:
Your baby has facial hair. They seem to go through puberty younger and younger these days.

Good observation. Children grow up too quickly nowadays. He has so much facial hair, we affectionately call him "mini-me wolfie". lol
 overunity
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2015 1:59:19 PM
"Showing a picture of a Corvette doesn't really convey the idea that you enjoy driving."

^^^ How does it miss the mark over a bicycle pic?
 Cdan1957
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2015 2:35:29 PM

How does it miss the mark over a bicycle pic?

First off, it wasn't a bicycle he was showing, it was a motorcycle. Some people ride and some don't. If you do ride it is probably something you would want a potential match to know. Most everybody drives. I tend to believe the purpose of having a picture of a Corvette is to say "Hey I own a Vette". not to convey that you have a valid drivers license. Once again, this is my interpretation.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/30/2015 2:40:37 PM

tend to believe the purpose of having a picture of a Corvette is to say "Hey I own a Vette". not to convey that you have a valid drivers license.

Ya think? LOL

I am not very good with cars, and I have more than once unwittingly given offense by not recognizing the awesomeness of a man's car :(
 sealady111
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/30/2015 5:30:53 PM

I buy colorful wacky leggings off ebay, and I have to order the 3XL size, HOPING I'll be able to squeeze into them. I've ordered XL size leggings that would barely fit a ten year old.

I mean we are talking "extra extra extra large"....what exactly would that look like, in your mind.

I end up with a pair of pants that would better fit a 13 year old.

Some of these pants, I think, are manufactured in Asia, and the sizes are DRASTICALLY different from American ones.

^^^ Volcano you are not alone here.

So many items of clothing are made in Asia for Asian ladies.

Do men have the same issue?
I certainly know men who 'never' try anything on prior to purchase.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/30/2015 5:34:38 PM
a Chevette :)
And yes I have had the fun of getting a package from China I couldn't get my leg into.
They must think we are giants
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/30/2015 5:43:11 PM
^^^^^
@sealady
Me personally, once I find a clothing line that I like, it fits and the quality is good. I stick with it. So no trying on is involved. Having a long torso it's tough to find shirts long enough. Don't care to try other stuff that often, with the exception of outerwear like pullover windshirts, visors etc. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.