Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sealady111
Msg: 51
Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.Page 3 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
Crookcatcher.

Thank you.
My dad is also tall and would never try on clothing.
Would have his lower back bare whenever he bent over then complain of the cold.

I tricked him once.
He was attending a fancy wedding so I dragged him to a 'discount' tailoring outlet where the salesman 'tailor' took over and when he was fitted out with clothing that fit he looked resplendent. He had no choice. Although I secretly suspect he enjoyed being fussed over.

There is something special about a tall man wearing well fitting clothing and standing tall because he knows he is, and looks, fabulous.

Again your main picture with the open neck shirt showcases your face and shoulders.
I am sure it is working for you in attracting the ladies.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 52
Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.
Posted: 6/30/2015 6:12:44 PM
@sealady

You are too kind :) unfortunately my journey continues on the quest for the elusive "one". I thought I came close the other day at the grocery store, I passed a woman in an isle and after passing she said "excuse me, what are you wearing?" (cologne) as she walked back up to me. I told her and she said...wow, that smells delicious. Just as I thought the tide had changed...she said I've got to get that for my husband.

It was a long slow walk to the dairy case. :(
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/30/2015 6:17:47 PM
^ Tip: Change your profile headline to "I've still got the handcuffs."

Better yet, just give me your password - I shall make you a star ;)
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/30/2015 6:25:35 PM

Perception is reality.

And con men everywhere and scammers in Nigeria count on people believing that, so that the money will keep rolling in.

Appearances can be deceiving.

A better saying would be, "Perception can be deception".
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/1/2015 2:04:07 PM
"Any illusion can be chosen to be the reality."
- Nadine Shelley (sp?), Poet

Crook Catcher: You actually did it! Does it seem to be working?? Tell us, NOW!
 ohenryx
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2015 2:15:44 PM

Having a long torso it's tough to find shirts long enough.

Yeah, tell me about it. 6’2”, with a 30 inch inseam == long torso.

You are too kind :) unfortunately my journey continues on the quest for the elusive "one". I thought I came close the other day at the grocery store, I passed a woman in an isle and after passing she said "excuse me, what are you wearing?" (cologne) as she walked back up to me. I told her and she said...wow, that smells delicious. Just as I thought the tide had changed...she said I've got to get that for my husband.

It was a long slow walk to the dairy case. :(

What, you didn’t ask her if her husband ever went on business trips? You, my friend, are a man of true virtue. Or something.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/1/2015 11:22:54 PM
Whatsamatterbaby- I've never taken it upon myself to point out what I think may be errors in their height,
What I find myself VERY interested in is your last line.........
"I wonder how common it is for people to lose sight of what they really care about due to the mechanisms of online dating?.
Wow, that's really a new thread, but one that needs to be addressed.
How many of us THINK we want one thing, when what we really want is something else? I wonder about this myself sometimes.
People will say "PC" things about what they should or should not want without any genuine thinking. Forgetting about "PC" altogether" and just say, this is what I want and I'm going to find it and to heck with what other people think.
I wonder How much pain we would save ourselves by admitting what we want verses what we should want (myself included),
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:33:02 AM
After chatting with someone (back when there was messenger chat) for a while and him telling me about his previous marriage, kids, etc I pointed out that his profile stated his longest relationship was under one year. He thought the question meant what was he looking for now as far as length of a relationship. As you can imagine, having under one year and being in his 40's wasn't going to go over well.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 8:13:33 AM

The woman who answered "That's just the way it is", was spot on. The clothing industry for women follow no rules. There is no standardization for sizes. Company/Manufacturer "A", can produce a size 10 pair of jeans, unlike Company, "B", "C", or "D", etc. A woman could try on 20 pairs of jeans, ALL size 10 and only one or two of them will fit right.
LOL I pretty much hate shopping for jeans!!!!

OT, Would I contact a user to notify them, there is an error in their profile? Only from the "Profile review" thread in the Forums. Otherwise, no.
Send a message to compliment a person for something in their profile? Yes, why not?

I wonder if that has to do with marketing. Company A knows their consumer base is loyal and designs their clothes based on those consumers. Levi assumes that you'll buy Levi jeans knows that you'll probably buy their size 10 jeans over others because you know their jeans fit you.

For guys it's different, I can wear 36/32 and no matter the manufacturer it's going to fit, my polo's may be slightly tighter than Rocawear or Red Monkey but they're going to fit just fine. I know boot cut and regular cut jeans are going to fit regardless of the manufacturer.
 OogaBooga68
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2015 11:54:02 PM

Do men have the same issue?
I certainly know men who 'never' try anything on prior to purchase.

As a sorta tall guy I feel I can answer this while humming an old Randy Newman tune... " short people got no..."

Yes. Jeans, pants, shorts, shirts, jackets...

Cars, trucks, doorways...

It's all made in the land of little people nowadays, and it sucks. :(

As an extreme example... I climbed into a truck the other day after sliding the seat all the way back. I promptly tried to forcibly remove my kneecap with the steering column. The offending truck? A 2015 Freightliner Cascadia. Made in Mexico. You would almost think that a semi tractor would still have room for a large person in it... Not anymore... It may as well have been a Prius.
 11qq
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/2/2015 8:58:51 AM
I think you'll enjoy this story.........

first off, I am comfortable with myself at 5'4 as i'm blessed in many ways.
being that height is about the same as a man being 6'10
or a woman 6'
it's got it's good and not so good.

in an experiment to widen my dating base I put "I'd like to date a tall lady" as my headline.

a woman 5'6 and 54 years old wrote me and in my first email I reiterated my 5'4 height. we wrote back and forth 5 times in one day. finally she wrote "is that a mistake on your profile being 5'4 ?"

I replied, "Oh yes it is. thank you for pointing that out. i'm actually 6'4."

she replied, "WHEW! THANK GOODNESS! that was a close one." her actual words! like she just escaped death by the guillotine. Lol
she then asked me to meet her for dinner in St. Petersburg and/or go to the GeckoFest in Gulfport over the weekend.

I replied that I didn't realize that she was 54 and that I thought she was 44. "i'm sorry you're just too old for me."
to my delight she then RAKED ME OVER THE COALS because I was actually older than her and how dare I BE SO SHALLOW AS TO THINK THAT AGE WAS A VALID REASON TO NOT DATE SOMEONE.
I replied that I expected her to respect my preference. she said age was not a preference and how rude I was to call her old.
we went back and forth in this manner until she finally said "I'm glad I found out what a shallow jerk you really are. you'll be lonely for the rest of your life OLD MAN!"

I LOVED IT. I never did actually give her my real height. after all, it's in the profile and I reiterated it in my second email to her. I guess i'm just shallow huh? the pot calling the kettle black. too funny. WHEW! THANK GOODNESS. that was a close one"

and NO Crookcatcher and KJ, I did NOT ask her to go Dutch!! i'm rolling...LMAO
 clooneystutor
Msg: 62
Profile errors, height, values, and the Runway
Posted: 8/2/2015 9:56:33 AM
I used to be one of those guys that never tried anything on.

Never liked those dressing rooms with no mirrors.

Had to walk out and check myself out in the hallway while the public watched me on the Runway.

After bringing home a few irregular shirts with bad seams?

I'll just have to bite bullet and strut my stuff now :(
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/2/2015 9:59:58 AM

I passed a woman in an isle and after passing she said "excuse me, what are you wearing?" (cologne) as she walked back up to me. I told her

As a cologne connoisseur, I have to ask what cologne this was?
 shirleywonton01
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/2/2015 12:02:36 PM
I'm here for the forums hence no photo however you never know, prince charming could decide to create a pof profile. That said I was just contacted by a rather nice looking man on his profile said 51. It only took a few, well 7 messages before he divulged his real age of 64.

You just ask questions, I asked a couple of times if there was a difference in age in his photos at the end of each message in a completely different conversation.

I must say I was a bit shocked and felt sad for him. I wrote back to say there are many great looking and healthy 64 yr olds in the world and to embrace it, not be ashamed to the point of misrepresenting himself. But I wouldn't be able to get past the lying, good luck with the next one, hopefully you post your correct age.
 11qq
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/2/2015 12:16:57 PM
Shirley,

the age fibbing has to do with the POF 14 year age restriction. 14 years plus and minus.

it would be rare and i'm not ruling it out but generally speaking what am I going to do with a nearly 80 year old woman?
 gtomustang
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/2/2015 2:35:17 PM
^^and the expected response is...it Depends :)

OK, cheap shot. The size commentary reminds me of car shows, where I see an original Model A Ford or even better, the Model T that predates it. Talk about lack of hip room...we were definitely a smaller population back in the day. As for Asian clothing sizes, my father used to have good luck with the "Hong Kong tailor", who likely no longer exists in hotel rooms anymore.

I still have to agree with a prior post somewhere else around here, meet someone who's hot, and even if they don't match their profile, we're likely to "pay for their Timmies".
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 67
Posted: 8/2/2015 3:51:49 PM

As an extreme example... I climbed into a truck the other day after sliding the seat all the way back. I promptly tried to forcibly remove my kneecap with the steering column. The offending truck? A 2015 Freightliner Cascadia. Made in Mexico. You would almost think that a semi tractor would still have room for a large person in it... Not anymore... It may as well have been a Prius.

The Big Rigs from the late Sixties/Seventies were like that....... Knees hitting the dash & My head hitting the roof was common in them.......

I have more room in My friends Prius, than many of the Trucks I drove back then.....
 Olivoil
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/2/2015 4:17:59 PM
and the lady thinks she is a tall woman, at 5'6" ?
 flamingjune1960
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2015 4:32:33 PM
I would't dream of calling someone out for a mistake in their profile unless I met them and they were completely different from their pic or description. Thankfully that has never happened to me.
On the subject of height, I will admit my preference for 6' or taller is just THAT my preference, not a requirement. Take as you wish ladies and gents, this is the land of make believe is it not?
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/2/2015 5:25:40 PM
Msg. 26

In the case of pregnancy, I'd only have to half-worry that the child may be short.

What kind of reason is that for wanting a tall man? A child should be loved unconditionally regardless of how tall they turn out to be.
 sealady111
Msg: 71
Posted: 8/2/2015 5:49:48 PM
I had a few dates with a man from here who used to be involved with a clothing factory in China.

One of the problems were large variations within the one size.

He discovered that they used a band saw - similar to what butchers use to cut a high pile of fabric to a pattern.
As the pile of fabric became higher the band saw would bend.
So they had sometimes 2 inches difference between the cut on fabric at the ends of the pile vs in the middle.

Meaning there was massive variation even in the same batch.

CC I think you have been fortunate or wise in your choice of clothing brands.

Who said internet dating is a waste of time? It is a great way to meet people and learn lots of new stuff. n

Where has Clooney gone?
Did we scared him off?
Has he met someone so he can take down his profile and concentrate on her?
I hope he has met someone nice.
 07songsungblue
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/2/2015 6:07:37 PM
^^. All is well with our friend.
 11qq
Msg: 73
Posted: 8/2/2015 7:18:25 PM

What kind of reason is that for wanting a tall man? A child should be loved unconditionally regardless of how tall they turn out to be

i'm 5'4 and my mother still loved me <3

I sometimes wonder if i'm some kind of exception to the short rule. I hear lots of complaints from short men I've known in the real world and O.L.D. sites that they can't get enough dates or that it's very difficult. while it's true that I rarely get a date with a woman who is 5'5 or taller, I don't have much problem with the 5'2 and under girls. maybe it's because I really am comfortable with who and what I am.
I played football from 9 years old and one year of semi pro baseball and I have a long drive in golf of 310 yards perhaps because I've played that game since I was eleven. worked in a steel mill for 30 years alongside guys 6'5 and did everything they did. in 30 years I went outside with 7 guys and never got beat up. one was 6'2 and while I didn't knock him down he didn't knock me down either. four years ago at a Slayer concert at AE Stage in Pittsburgh I jumped into the mosh with a bunch of young guys and yes I DID get knocked down but I got right back up. in my mind i'm just as big as anybody else around :-)
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2015 8:16:44 PM

first off, I am comfortable with myself at 5'4 as i'm blessed in many ways. being that height is about the same as a man being 6'10 or a woman 6'. it's got it's good and not so good.

No, it's not a pro/con thing. Bobby Brady got to crawl out of a small window to rescue people locked inside a walk-in freezer. That's about the only true Good. And if there's a really hot gal under 4'11", the guys under 5'7" can find an advantage there (a good amount of the time). Other than that, no matter how one wants to dress it up, it's SOL.

she replied, "WHEW! THANK GOODNESS! that was a close one." her actual words! like she just escaped death by the guillotine. Lol

Oh man... LOL.

I replied that I didn't realize that she was 54 and that I thought she was 44. "i'm sorry you're just too old for me." .... she then RAKED ME OVER THE COALS because I was actually older than her and how dare I BE SO SHALLOW AS TO THINK THAT AGE WAS A VALID REASON TO NOT DATE SOMEONE.

Yeah, she deserved that. However, you should have told her in the end, so she'd learn her lesson. Otherwise, you getting-back-at-her did nothing. If anything, she's going to carry more of a "men suck" attitude, thus be even More superficially-minded. The true reward is when you lay it out to them and they hit a brick wall when you connect the dots of common-sense.

Being cool about it would help too before revealing things to her, right after she goes ape-sh!t:
You: "Well, it's just a Preference. A PREFERENCE. I can't help it. It's just biology that I'd like a more feminine woman in my presence. If it's a preference, I can do no wrong and it's not my fault, right?"

Her: "It's SHALLOW wanting a more 'feminine' woman! You're a pig and just into looks!"

You: "I say this cordially, I'm not upset as you are, but maybe you'll think to say that outloud in the mirror. I am 5'4". So how was your "Whew! Thank goodness, that was a close one!" not exactly how you described it, if you changed the 5'4" to 54?"

and the lady thinks she is a tall woman, at 5'6" ?

It's not that, though (even though it's a bit above average height, and a bit more than that at around 55 yo+). Most women have a very STRONG preference in guys being taller than they. When it comes to online, people are MUCH more picky about "stats". A typical gal being 5'6" is going to have less interest in the same guy at 5'8" online VS IRL. Both guys and gals are going to be more stringent on age-boundaries online VS IRL, too. Height is about looks, plain and simple. Broader shoulders and muscular physique can help make that up for a guy, as the base reason for it is about the vibe/feel/experience on how his masculine presence compares to other guys, walking with him room to room. Kinda like a guy wanting/liking the experience of a younger-looking, hence more feminine (reproductive) woman when in one's not-young-anymore years.

I wrote back to say there are many great looking and healthy 64 yr olds in the world and to embrace it, not be ashamed to the point of misrepresenting himself. But I wouldn't be able to get past the lying, good luck with the next one, hopefully you post your correct age.

Also, he lied on an electronic public profile to viewers, but not to you directly -- he came right to you about it during early message exchange. Sure, raise an eyebrow... and can't argue having some level of turn-off by it. I'm just saying it's not Quite the same. And a question though -- are you just as attracted to a 64 year old guy as a 49 year old man? A lot of times on these topics we like to say "Oh, well, you lied -- that's 100% the reason I said shoo." Well, what if he was 49 and said "Yeah, well, everyone thinks I lied about my age at 49, so this time I said I was 55. Was interested in seeing the difference, and didn't know I couldn't change it, oh well..." -- would your response have been the same to run? Most wouldn't, as the lying's bad for Wasting Their Time. But when it's not ("Oooh, you're 37? No Barb, I'm not upset that you're not 44!"), it's a different can of worms. :)

On the subject of height, I will admit my preference for 6' or taller is just THAT my preference, not a requirement.

Some people can have a virtual requirement and label it as a preference (when it's pretty much a requirement) for PC reasons. You're 5'8" though, so it'd be too much for guys to give you any glares of you being superficial or something.
 Peas_
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/2/2015 8:25:22 PM
NG...blah blah blah, short guys. Superficial,...blah, blah, blah.....shallow...blah blah blah, they can have all the short women, whatamatta with that?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Profile errors, height, values, and the kitchen sink.