Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Should you move..... A fairy tale....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 daynadaze
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Should you move..... A fairy tale.... Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Depends on the outcome you want, since your business is sucking you dry, I'd want to know if that was going to continued, and if it was then you'll be in the same place in no time. So is the hole plugged up in the business and is it going to provide you with enough income to cover the living you want, or is it the business you need to fix?
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 27
Should you move..... A fairy tale....
Posted: 7/1/2015 3:01:28 PM
wait a minute, how can there be a shiat storm in Canada? I don't believe it, this cannot be true. Canadians are so polite, and they have free healthcare. what could possibly go wrong?
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/1/2015 3:08:51 PM
HAPPY CANADA DAY, EVERYONE!! (If that's not too forward.)
 sealady111
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/1/2015 3:22:13 PM
Thank you all.

As always independent wisdom is welcome.

Live on the boat? Illegal and impractical. Boat is only 25 foot long. A floating small caravan size with sails. Certainly not suitable for 2 dogs long term.

Business. My recent ideas to reinvigorate it have been underwhelming. Not sure what else to do. Need to do more thinking.
It is still break even or a bit up or down from there. Due to the economic downturn staff is minimal and we all telecommute from home.

Expenses. I have had unexpected expenses due to having to find alternative accommodation for my dad. Hence my debt.
Fixing up my house and repairing damage turned into making the house suit me and I admit I do enjoy the house.

Location. Where I live is lovely. 1 hour drive from my boat. Family, mortgage belt semi rural area which is rapidly becoming more suburbia. I prefer trees to concrete. Sydney is experiencing a housing price boom or bubble. The average price of a free standing home is nearly $1million. Doubled in the last few years. My house is in this average range and it would probably sell to a young family. How they find that sort of money I have no idea. Noone knows if these prices will continue to skyrocket or burst.
In my opinion the soaring prices are fuelled by Chinese investors, Self Managed Superannuation (Retirement) Funds and record low interest rates.

Am investigating various new locations.

Friends are scattered geographically. I do not have local friends only acquaintances.

Family also are scattered geographically.

Am getting a second opinion on the value of my place from another real estate agent today.
Will also ask about renting option.

Other than moving here due to divorce all my moves have been as a married couple or previously -over 30 years ago as a single person when everyone else was young and single. Being a single woman moving into a family area has major challenges. Wives are not welcoming.

Am I financially comfortable? Certainly not enough to support myself for the rest of my life without an income.

Debt... how much now? If my business picked up to previous levels I could clear the debt in a couple of years.

Am still thinking.

Thank you all...

to be continued.....

Happy Canada Day.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/1/2015 4:08:41 PM

Live on the boat? Illegal and impractical. Boat is only 25 foot long. A floating small caravan size with sails. Certainly not suitable for 2 dogs long term.

I can see where the Dogs might be a problem..... But Illegal? Don't you have any live aboard Marinas. there?
I lived on a Owens 30' Express Cruiser for a while, the Marina had toilets & showers.....
You do need some form of off the Boat Storage for some things, like winter clothes during the summer...
 Mummymania
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/1/2015 4:38:14 PM
Sounds like you are in a self described housing bubble to me. The us went through that and the ultimate outcome was not pretty. The us is also in an aging bull market and the fed, when it raises interest rates, may well throw the us into a recession. If not, the business cycle will throw the us into a recession. Either way a recession is coming, probably within 18 months at the latest, and as goes the us so goes the world. If you can get 1 million now, you may only get 500 k 2 years from now. Something to consider. Good luck.c
 sactownromantic
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/1/2015 5:00:29 PM
I like the idea of what we North Americans call "snowbirds": you keep your property and spend the winter there, in the summer you live by the ocean. It works if you have the financial means.

BTW: Happy Canada Day to our friendly neighbors to the north.
 sealady111
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/1/2015 5:15:34 PM
Yes it is illegal to live on a boat in Australia.
The concern is sewage.

That being said, lots of people do live on their boats and the boat moored beside mine (swing mooring) has a single man and 3 dogs living on board. His is a much bigger boat.

I would not want to live on a marina anyway.

Second Real Estate Agent has come back with about the same price.
+/- $50K of $1 million.

I agree these prices could burst.

Am not rich enough to have a Sydney property plus another elsewhere.
Other than the place I bought for my dad in the outback.

Now to start looking at potential new places.
 123nightmoves
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/1/2015 5:54:02 PM
I was just in Vancouver looking; one million is a "fixer upper".
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2015 6:22:39 PM
sealady

I live right on the water but over an hour north from Sydney where real estate is still cheaper. If you don't have to commute for work then you can virtually live anywhere. I am close to all amenities and in fact do not really need a car. I live quite simply and what money I have is spent on travel. There are many clubs and societies for the older or more mature person to join and no one ever really need to feel lonely. I have no immediate family nearby but have friends and neighbours that I connect with.

Have you thought about the Central Coast?? If you buy then you can have your pets but not if you intend to rent, very difficult. Worth a thought..
 purplerider1200
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2015 7:03:48 PM
Can I feel like I live in the low rent district now? Those figures scare me.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/1/2015 8:08:35 PM

Is it possible you're being too selective, where no guy will ever be perfect enough for you?

How can you even suggest such a thing about a woman who has met 600+ men from online dating , and has little to show for it besides a lot of croaking:

The only men she met were frogs.

Ribbet.......ribbet........

His is a much bigger boat.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Should she sell and move?

Move where?
Another part of Sydney?
Another Australian coastal city?
Out of Australia altogether?
Is Sydney the only city experiencing a possible housing bubble, or is the whole of Australia?
If it's just Sydney, then yes, depending on what your tax situation might be, selling now might be the best thing you could do, if prices are likely to crash at some point.
Australia does have a lot of coastline for someone with a boat.

Do you know of an area that's frog free,

No.
But I know of an area that is snake-free...........Ireland.
(at least the kind of snake that has scales and slithers on the ground)
 Seki1949
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2015 8:55:24 PM
rennips1949 is wise.
 sealady111
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:07:15 PM
Ha ha

I am looking to move out of Sydney.
Have started my search.

Do not want a bigger boat.
Bigger is not always better.
Current boat for me is perfect.

Yes only Sydney and Melbourne are experiencing this 'bubble' with Sydney much moreso than elsewhere.
My initial hunting in suitable areas are near sailing water.
Not too many crocodiles, stinging jellyfish or cyclones.
Warmer than Sydney.

That discounts the really tropical areas and anywhere south.

Don't think my problem is being too fussy.
I actually went to a relationship adviser who told me I should raise my standards and stop even trying to meet anyone who does not meet basic criteria. Yes he, the relationship adviser is male.

Basic criteria:
Available - as in not married and no restraints
Ready to commit - as in not sowing wild oats
Intellectual and financial equal

He also said to have a NO SEX TILL AFTER 10 dates minimum.
(Weeeeellllll I have not stuck to that one as I think that is a smidgen long)

These days I am lucky to even get to a first meet if I discount the not available and not wanting sex on the first date.
 123nightmoves
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:15:23 PM
I hope you didn't pay the relationship adviser as that is basic common sense. Why would you look for anything else, men are looking for the same criteria. It ain't rocket science. I do disagree about the 10 dates, a supposed adult should figure out what works for them in the sex department.

And really, you have a home, mortgage, small debt, a job and a sailboat; nothing intimidating about that. Many are in the exact same position with a few minor changes.
 sealady111
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:31:38 PM
123nightmoves

Yes I paid him.

You would be surprised how many men do not have anywhere near that.
It has surprised me.

The ones that are solvent tend to prefer women significantly younger and who can fit in a bikini.
And get them.
I do not fit that criteria.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:42:02 PM
Your dilemma, as I see it, is one I faced after my divorce 4 years ago....

I put myself out there, dating and dating, having lots of fun along the way but not ever finding 'The One'

I noticed I was always conscious of being debt free and trying to have extra money.

For what though?? My next LTR?

I stopped thinking about being VERY solvent for my next partner. Fvck that

Bottom line?

Be happy alone and don't focus on attracting The One...

OP, your post sounds like you are too focused on meeting a mate, rather then being happy alone.

Been there and done that.

Live for you now. Create a lifestyle that pleases you and leaves you just an itsy bitsy lonely, but not much :)

p.s....

Might catch some flack for this, but that 10 date thingy? Total rubbish.

Keep your expectations LOW of finding The One and live for now.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2015 10:45:49 PM

The human species has beat me down to the point that I actually use the term "hate" when seeing what I see nowadays.

Wish you could live in my world for a while Walts. You might be renewed.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:00:55 AM
Sealady111- I would like to stay in your prose of dreams, but I must talk reality here, for you, I hope you appreciate that.
Don't make a decision based on what one real estate expert says, get several opinions, do some research yourself.
Look at what similar houses have sold for recently in your area, this will give you an accurate picture of what your house can sell for, verses the vested interest of real estate agents.
If, after you do this, you find yourself sitting pretty to sell, then this is the point where you REALLY have to think.
Waterfront properties abound, more with liability than others due to flooding.
I found this one out the hard way.
Research any potential waterfront property through FEMA, they can tell you EXACTLY how many time the house has flooded, if ever.
You don't want to loose your house because your flood insurance payments are equal to, or more than, your mortgage.
I had this happen and it broke my heart, I lost my house, so research, PLEASE.
Now, getting past this issue, are you genuinely wanting a change, or thinking a change will fix everything?
When you answer, I will advice your further.
 sealady111
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:07:53 AM
Hello Bamagrl

I am thinking through carefully about my reasons for wanting to move.
Have thought about moving every now and then for the last few years.

Had a good chat with my accountant today.
He is not concerned with my level of debt.
Debt about 10% of my total assets including retirement savings.

Yes I have looked at recent sales in my area but the market is going up so fast it is hard to judge.

Current thinking is to have someone care for the house and dogs while I take a holiday.
Go and look at these potential places and see for myself and talk with some locals.

At this stage my ideal would be:

Small acreage where I can build a dream house.
Views of the water.
Easy access to the luxuries of life, cafes etc A reasonable taxi trip.
Warmer than a Sydney winter.
Protected sailing.
Easy access to an airport.
A mixed demographic. All sorts of people with at least some singles my own age.

Insurance - yes that is on my list to investigate. I know it is higher in cyclone areas and almost impossible to get in other areas.

Aim of move?
Have more like minded people nearby to spend time with doing like minded things.
More things locally to do with other people to keep loneliness at bay.
Be closer to sailing.

e.g. Nearly everything I do is about 1 hour drive each way.
Community theatre, trivia, sailing. All in different directions.
My sailing buddies are scattered all more than 1 hour drive away.

In 10 years since divorce have only dated one man within 30 mins drive.
Met him in real life.

I grew up in a town with a greater sense of community.
That does not really exist where I live now as most people are married with kids and commute from here to work.

Who knows the holiday could be sufficient.
In the past whenever I have taken a holiday my business picks up.

Clooney -I have answered you privately but for the others.
I am a single woman with no kids.
My reasons to be financially reasonable are because I need to take care of myself as certainly is noone else who will take care of me.

Yes you are right.
I have made some unwise financial decisions with past lovers and hope I have learned from my mistakes.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:43:58 AM

bamagrl68:
Research any potential waterfront property through FEMA, they can tell you EXACTLY how many time the house has flooded, if ever.

I'm sure your heart is in the right place, Bama....
But I'm not sure how much use the USA's Federal Emergency Management Agency is going to be for someone in Australia....

VVVVVV....I know Diana is talking about moving, but I don't think She wants to Move that far from Australia...... VVVVVVV
 bamagrl68
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:49:07 AM
sealady111- I have no idea how much you have to invest, but your ideal, given what you have said, would be to diversify.
Buy two properties, one that you will rent out that covers as much of your costs as possible, and one for you to live in.
Given the sense of community that you seek,
a good possibility is Key West.
What I suggest is a two prong approach, as much as I encourage your dreams, the practical has to come first.
Can you afford to live there?
Can your afford both a rental and a house for you to live in?
Sit down and do the numbers, do the research.
I am NOT killing your dreams, I am encouraging you to approach this the smart way,
If you do things this way, you are STILL looking into your dreams, the only difference will be "What the heck did I do", verses, "I am so glad I did this".
I hope it's clear which way I hope this goes for you :)
Good luck :)
 sealady111
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/2/2015 1:26:37 AM
Thank you but I am in Australia.

I already have an investment (rental) property which is paying for itself.

Yes depending on the area and how much each property costs I certainly could have more.

But NOT in Sydney.

The central coast, just north of Sydney is a possibility.

This research could be fun.

BlueEyes.
Considering how many handsome, charming men are in the USA perhaps I should!!!

Also your real estate is MUCH more affordable. In certain areas.
What we hear is that if you cannot afford your mortgage you can just walk away.
Debt is forgiven.

Not here.
That debt will follow you forever.
Not sure if non locals can buy property.
 Dee4166
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 8:20:44 AM
DO IT!!!!

Having just shaken up myself and my Life by moving to the other side of my country and finding new digs, a new job, etc., well, so far...BEST thing I've ever done!!!

Sometimes we need a change of pace, scenery and just a new perspective....

You are financially stable, and it sounds like the debts are weighing on you, so if you have no serious attachment to the house, why not???

As far as meeting someone goes, well, I won't say that will happen for sure, but I actually DID meet someone, who lives even FURTHER away from me than before!!! lol

it really had nothing to do with the move per se, more the fact that once I started opening myself up to new experiences and a new way of Life, I was also more open to new people and risks....

Don't know if ANY of it will 'work out' in the long run, but I DO know that I'm happier today than I've been in a LONG time, just being in a beautiful place that fills my soul....

It's NOT always, about 'running away' or anything like that...sometimes it's just about starting over with a fresh perspective...Good luck, whatever you decide! ;-)
 DietFree
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 10:05:47 AM
I'm sure that whatever decision sealady makes will be the right one.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Should you move..... A fairy tale....