Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Should you move..... A fairy tale....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CharminC
Msg: 51
Should you move..... A fairy tale.... Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Really? I have always heard such great things about BC! What's so terrible about it? !

BC itself is fantastic. Walts is referring to specfics. Neighborhood and people.
Walts, just move to a more rural area. You KNOW you'd love that.
Hell... come the right time, I'd be your neighbor. The rural areas are beautiful and....................quiet.

and more normal?

Don't know if ANY of it will 'work out' in the long run, but I DO know that I'm happier today than I've been in a LONG time, just being in a beautiful place that fills my soul....

Congrats Dee!
Sealady, follow your guts. Sometimes it truly is that simple. :)
 newoldgirl
Msg: 52
Should you move..... A fairy tale....
Posted: 7/2/2015 11:49:40 AM

He also said to have a NO SEX TILL AFTER 10 dates minimum.
(Weeeeellllll I have not stuck to that one as I think that is a smidgen long)

Did he give any rationale for this dictate? I think the longest I have ever waited was five dates. I don't regret my choices. When things haven't worked out, sex was generally the least of the problem.

I noticed I was always conscious of being debt free and trying to have extra money.

For what though?? My next LTR?

I stopped thinking about being VERY solvent for my next partner. Fvck that

You deserve to be solvent and debt free for YOU !

Bottom line?

Be happy alone and don't focus on attracting The One...

Yep :)

I would like to meet someone someday, but there is no great, aching void in my life. I am healthy, active, have great friends and family,a good career, financial security ( as much as possible, in this economy) and a retirement plan. That's nothing to sneeze at.

An old saying goes: Never put the key to your happiness in somebody else's pocket :)
 J3LV3HL_WV3JP
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:16:16 PM
I've heard the States are nice this time of year.

Just sayin'...
 Qura
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 5:08:38 PM
If you are staying b/c you think you live in a place more likely to yield the right guy, then let go--and follow the plan that seems to be best for you in all other ways. You will be happier, and more relaxed. While location affects who is available, it's no guarantee of *anything,* as you well know. Better to be financially and emotionally happy as a single person rather than living with some stress and disappointed hopes.

You never know what you may find on your next adventure--it might not be love, but it is likely to be good. And you can always, always, always change your mind and move back to a place with a larger population--or use your improved financial picture to travel more, or whatever.

Good luck!
 sealady111
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/2/2015 6:00:00 PM

He also said to have a NO SEX TILL AFTER 10 dates minimum.
(Weeeeellllll I have not stuck to that one as I think that is a smidgen long)

Did he give any rationale for this dictate? I think the longest I have ever waited was five dates. I don't regret my choices. When things haven't worked out, sex was generally the least of the problem.

^^^
Yes his reasoning was it takes time to get to know someone and find out if you are really interested in each other as people rather than only playing with what in inside their underwear. Taking your time shows that you are serious about wanting a relationship rather than a one night stand and you can find out if they are as well.

If a person does not want to spend time getting to know you before having sex they are not interested in a relationship.

It weeds out the people who are not serious.

..................................................................................................................................

Have started to put things in place so I can take breaks and investigate different places.

Woke up this morning realising it has been ages since I have had a proper holiday where I am not taking care of other people.

From a purely population viewpoint, Sydney is the most populated area within Australia, so from a mathematical viewpoint this is the place to be, but there are more women than men.

purplerider1200
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 6:14:12 PM
Ohh, the debt follows you here in the states. Some may claim that it doesn't, not so.

Since I live in the "Armpit" of the Midwest, my digs sit on ten acres, but not worth more than $150k (With my thumb on the scale) Now, mine is all paid for, but I have made enough property tax payments to have paid for my place - twice.

I'm sure Australia gets you coming and going with taxes. Very much like we get it. Whatever you decide, it's totally your call.

I just gotta wrap my mind around not moving south because it's colder, and that it's the winter season down there. Apparently, whomever coined the phrase "A cold day in July" was never south of the equator.
 sealady111
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/2/2015 6:22:01 PM
@##@$&^#$@ cold day in July here today.

Below zero overnight and expected to be colder tonight.

Am getting precut firewood delivered later today.
Nice and cozy.

Yes lots of taxes but at least our respective economies are better than Greece.
Taxes are necessary.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/2/2015 6:22:58 PM
I say go for it!

Maybe you need a change of pace!
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 7:49:41 PM
I think you should do it.

The estimates you're getting may be inflated just to get your business. So be careful, cautious, stay informed.

I've been doing a lot of weeding, LOL.

Yes his reasoning was it takes time to get to know someone and find out if you are really interested in each other as people rather than only playing with what in inside their underwear. Taking your time shows that you are serious about wanting a relationship rather than a one night stand and you can find out if they are as well.

If a person does not want to spend time getting to know you before having sex they are not interested in a relationship.

It weeds out the people who are not serious.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/2/2015 7:54:21 PM
Momma says there is no fairy tale Steve, and pressing the reset button gets old .

She has the same marital track record I do. She left all of them too.

Maybe I should listen up, but then again, momma might feel different if she were catching the attention of Richard Gere...

I'd rather burn out then fade away.

There's a few things I'll be taking to the grave, one of 'em is a big fat smile :)
 sealady111
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/2/2015 8:32:35 PM
Bugger!!!!

My #1 choice of area has an even bigger over supply of women. According to census data.
More men up to age 30 then many, many more women.

So other than being paradise from a dating viewpoint would be worse.
 Mummymania
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/3/2015 6:53:10 AM
The number of available women vs men shouldn't matter in the least if you have things going for you, like relatively Good looks for your age and financial independence. Why would you concern yourself with the competition if you have confidence in yourself?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/3/2015 7:34:33 AM
I'd make new friends if I liked the area (I don't depend on men solely to keep me company anyway) and if I didn't, I'd move to where I could make new friends or be close to the ones I already had.

Men are everywhere and frankly, not a requirement for happiness...and you will always meet frogs regardless of location. The real question is what type of adventure you want to go on and when. Build your choices around that.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/3/2015 7:41:37 AM

The real question is what type of adventure you want to go on

Very true.

What experience are you looking for?

Thelma & Louise?

Hangover?

Something about Schmidt?

Eat Prey Love?
 ohenryx
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2015 10:37:03 AM

sealady111
Her business is cloud based so she can work from anywhere.
She has nothing holding her to this location.

Most of us aren’t that lucky. I work in downtown Houston, the 4th largest metropolitan area in the US. And I absolutely hate long commutes, so my choice of where to live is very restricted.

Now when I retire …

adventurejoe70
OP perhaps you can afford to do your version of the snowbird!

Now this is something I really want to do, AFTER I retire. I love the mountains, I would love to spend the summers high up in the mountains. Where you don’t need air conditioning to sleep, even in summer. And you can see a million stars at night.

Then, when the snow flies, head south for the winter.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/3/2015 11:48:36 AM
sealady111- Sorry for the slip up, not realizing you are in Australia, OOPS!
Rarely do I get to use the computer in peace, I share it with my son and daughter, also, when I'm posting, I stop to do laundry, dishes, let the dog out, etc., sometimes I miss things.
Any way, there must be some way to look into the flooding issue in Australia, glad to hear you were already going to do that.
Being an hour away from friends and your activity's would get old, heck, I'm only a half hour away from where I'm originally from and rarely make it over there.
I'm semi addicted to watching house hunters, so taking a vacation to search sounds like a lot of fun, DO IT!
All the research in the world can't top actually going and looking to get the feel of a place.
Good luck in your search and keep us posted :)
 sealady111
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/3/2015 3:54:20 PM
Well POF wisdom is proving to be true to form.

I sent out a dozen messages to men about my age who live in my areas of interest.
100% reply rate.

Now admittedly I am asking questions about moving to their area and utilising their local knowledge expertise but all have been charming and helpful.

Some great suggestions and warnings about some areas to avoid.
Local knowledge is the best. :)

Only one has approached the 'creep' factor. He is a man I have met here who expected sex on the first date, when that did not happen he vanished. He is visiting that area on holidays.

Yep. My holiday to search is a definite.
Will pack the tent and explore to my heart's content.
Need to decide whether to drive the 4WD or the convertible.
(First world problem...)

FYI one area that is high on the list is called
Tin Can Bay..... At the south end of the Great Barrier Reef.

Love the sound of the name and whales go to that area for the winter and to calve before heading back to Antarctic waters.

Have been to the general area - PARADISE - but need to explore housing.
So much like paradise that for decades I have joked that if Sydney was hit by 'the bomb' that is where I would go because even I could live off the land. Fish basically jump on your hook.

Mainland side of Fraser Island. In case anyone wants to Google paradise.
Fraser Island is my all time favourite 4WD destination.

What is my adventure experience aim?

To live a blessed life in paradise.
If I am destined to be single for the rest of my life I may as well be in paradise.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/3/2015 4:03:16 PM

Yep. My holiday to search is a definite.
Will pack the tent and explore to my heart's content.

On a hippie trail in a fried out Kombi?
 dragonbytes
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/3/2015 4:46:01 PM

sent out a dozen messages to men about my age who live in my areas of interest.
100% reply rate.

Now admittedly I am asking questions about moving to their area and utilising their local knowledge expertise but all have been charming and helpful.

It's a small step to take this to an actual date. If they end up showing you around the town is a lot like a date.

Maybe you should try this with many locations?
 sealady111
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/3/2015 6:16:45 PM
Have already had a few offers to show me around.
Will also loiter around yacht clubs and try to wrangle a sail or two... again for local knowledge.
'Where women glow'.
 Peas_
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/3/2015 6:34:30 PM
and she's off and running, using her social networking skills! Yesssss! You go girl!
 sealady111
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/4/2015 12:53:12 AM
I have put together a 'wish list' which I am using as a base.

FYI

Diana’s paradise wishlist:
Warm
Within 30 mins drive of available moorings and protected water sailing ( 1.4 metre deep keel)
Broad demographic with a range of different types of people (Where I live now is nearly all married couples with children.)
Good broadband internet
Mobile phone coverage
Houses or house sites ¼ to ½ acre within a reasonable taxi trip from town if enjoying a wine or three.
Community atmosphere welcoming newcomers (i.e not needing 3 decades to be considered welcome)
Choir, community theatre, trivia and other activities
Areas to walk dogs and swim
Friendly and safe

No Crocs nor stingers
Not too many cane toads
Preferably no or not many leeches or ticks
Not too many cyclones
 Nosunlightsinging
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/4/2015 5:48:25 AM
@sealady111
If you are going to live in Queensland don't go kissing any thing that looks froglike without wearing glasses - the cane toads are lethal and I'm not talking about the Bufo species
 Maleman999
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/4/2015 8:21:37 AM

Community atmosphere welcoming newcomers (i.e not needing 3 decades to be considered welcome)

It's funny, how in some places-especially in remote smaller towns, you're always considered as an "outsider" if you haven't spent the majority or all of your life there. In some places, you're still considered an outsider if your family roots in that community don't go back at least 3 or 4 generations. It doesn't matter that one point, those people were the outsiders when there were just native Indians in North America or Aboriginals in Australia.
 Seki1949
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2015 10:47:56 AM

It's funny, how in some places-especially in remote smaller towns,

I have had my cabin 19 years. I'm still the 'New Guy'. There is hope: One more 'Old Timer' death and I think I will be promoted!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Should you move..... A fairy tale....