Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bill Cosby admitted under oath he got Quaaludes to give women for sex      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Viper1j
Msg: 301
Heeeey Hey Hey! Its Fat Chance...for redemption! Page 13 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

At any rate, that is not how it works. He has the right to one appeal. That's it.

Not sure where you got your law license from the that's not the way it works.

First, you can ask the judge for a "reconsideration", which is basically a fancy way of asking the judge to change his mind after sentencing. It's such a formality it's almost never done.

His first "real" appeal will be to the Pennsylvania state Court of Appeals. If his conviction is upheld there, he has the option to take his appeal to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.

If this conviction is upheld there, then he asked the option to take it to the federal level, starting with the 3rd US District Court (I think it's the third.) He gets to hearings there. The first is before a three judge panel, and if either side doesn't like the outcome they can request to be heard before the full court of nine judges.

If he's not happy with the way things have gone up to this point, he can always petition the United States Supreme Court, which may or may not hear his case.

Count on anywhere from 2 to 4 years for each appeal, so you're looking at somewhere between 10 and 16 years before a final resolution. That would make him 96 years old.

And since it appears he's going to stay out on bail pending appeal, considering the money, the lawyers, and his age, it's a safe bet to say he'll never spent a single day in jail.

AND all that presumes he doesn't WIN one of his appeals!
 Viper1j
Msg: 302
Heeeey Hey Hey! Its Fat Chance...for redemption!
Posted: 5/2/2018 2:15:40 PM

Probably a year or so for a ruling by an appellate court, depending on how long it takes to get the legal briefs from the parties filed. It's not like a death healthcare with appeal after appeal.

If you're going to talk about the law, it wouldn't hurt you to spend a few nights at a Holiday Inn Express.
Because right now, you're kind of on the clueless side. The protections of criminal court in this country outstrip by far any protections given to civil court.
 ghostata
Msg: 303
Posted: 5/2/2018 3:07:23 PM
^^wrong on all counts...you have one appeal of right...thats it. You can file a writ in other courts, ask them to review...but it's not an appeal of right. It's discretionary whether another court will hear a case..just like it's discretionary whether SCOTUS will hear an appeal. Good try though.
 ghostata
Msg: 304
Posted: 5/2/2018 3:13:10 PM
Your problem is you don't understand what an appeal of right actually means. For example you indicated you can appeal to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. No you can't. You can petition the court to hear another appeal per below..

In all but a few situations, there is no automatic right to appeal a case to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. You must first file a request, known as a Petition for Allowance of Appeal, that explains why your case is important enough to justify review in the Supreme Court.

On average, approximately 2,000 requests for appeal are filed in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court each year. The Court grants review in 2-3% of these cases. This amount, which is already very low, has been decreasing over the past few years.

Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court grants review only for what it considers to be important reasons. Some of those reasons include:
 ghostata
Msg: 305
Posted: 5/2/2018 3:20:26 PM
BTW, good luck getting the feds to intervene is a state prosecution absent very compelling reasons to do so.

Viper1j
Msg: 306
Posted: 5/2/2018 4:20:54 PM

BTW, good luck getting the feds to intervene is a state prosecution absent very compelling reasons to do so.

First off, ALL appeals are "petitions to said court(s).

If the Pennsylvania Supreme Court refuses to hear an appeal, there is still the option to seek relief at the federal level. People vs. Larry Flynt was a state case that made it not only to the federal level, but in front of the United States Supreme Court as well.

Of course, Lawrence vs. Texas, and Roe v Wade, are two even more famous cases that started out in state court, and were ultimately resolved at the federal level.

Bill Cosby's reasons for appeal mean he will most likely be resolved at the federal level. The most obvious being the abrogation of his Fifth Amendment protections, by introducing testimony from a civil proceeding. Additionally, the number of "bad actor" witnesses were more prejudicial than probative.

I'll give you hundred to one odds, that he'll die before he ever sees the inside of a prison cell.
 ghostata
Msg: 307
Posted: 5/2/2018 4:30:58 PM
So now you are effectively agreeing with me which is there is only one appeal of right for most people that means only one appeal. There is nothing compelling about Cosby's case so that a federal court would take it. The purported application of his Fifth Amendment rights can easily be and will be handled by the state court. And I have news for you, appellate courts often times ignore technical issues that were improperly ruled on by trial judges. In the end they are more concerned about whether error was harmless and ultimately whether the result was just or the correct one regardless of whether the trial court screwed up.

I do think Crosby was screwed. That deposition never should have been used against him. But I would not be surprised at the Appellate Court overlooks that issue because of the politics...i.e....his molesting numerous women. I just don't think the Appellate Court is going to wander into that hornet's nest if it can figure out a way not to have to do so. Whether Cosby spend stime in jail while awaiting the conclusion of his appeal I believe is up to the trial judge.
 Viper1j
Msg: 308
Posted: 5/2/2018 4:48:14 PM
Denying someone their constitutional rights is no small thing. Federal courts cannot and will not ignore that. The United States Supreme Court's primary function, is to determine the constitutionality of laws and issues. They won't ignore that either.

Bill Cosby put up a $1 million CASH bond. If that gets revoked, he doesn't lose that money, they have to give it back. They're in no hurry to do that. That money was to ensure his presence at all court proceedings, and now it's to ensure his presence at sentencing. After that, it will be to ensure his presence at any appeal proceedings.

If he ever does a day in jail, they have to give that money back to him.

The fact that he is at home, on bail, postconviction speaks volumes.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 309
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 4:48:55 PM
I haven't watched much of the news this year, so I didn't notice if anyone women based groups were supporting the sexually assaulted women. Couldn't a judge rule by pressure for what his sentencing would be?
 Viper1j
Msg: 310
Posted: 5/2/2018 4:52:07 PM
Not in Pennsylvania.

Thanks to so-called "mandatory minimum laws", Pennsylvania has a very strict and rigid scoring system.

And all the numbers are in his favor, contributions to the community, this age, lack of criminal history, and probability of reoffending. The only thing that's possibly working against him, is the possibility of rehabilitation, which probably won't mean much, because he won't live long enough for rehabilitation.
 ghostata
Msg: 311
Posted: 5/2/2018 5:35:49 PM
Come on...that's very naive Viper. Criminal defendants are always complaining their constitutional rights have been violated. Just because a state court judge does not agree does not turn that into a federal case. For better or worse, cosby admitted his crime in that deposition. The real issue is whether he had an enforceable agreement with the prosecutor not to use that admission in a criminal court. If he did, the conviction should be reversed on appeal but like I said, if possible the appellate court will find a reason to affirm...and if that means upholding the ruling as not an enforceable agreement because not in writing, that's what it will do.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 312
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 6:04:40 PM
Viper, Not saying this for the purpose of being contrary, but his lack of criminal history is only because all the women didn't come forward over the years. He's been a criminal, just one that wasn't reported.

Isn't part of going to jail a penalty for bad deeds, separate from what it may accomplish? He's one of the worst type of criminals, one that was violent by perpetrating rape. Why would anyone think his age would stop him from being a predator anyway? I know you're just stating what you think may happen, and not personal opinion, but on that predication, the old crimes of the 72 year old Golden State Killer should be thought of the same way, and some may be due to the statute of limitations on rape.
 Viper1j
Msg: 313
Posted: 5/2/2018 8:02:37 PM

Viper, Not saying this for the purpose of being contrary, but his lack of criminal history is only because all the women didn't come forward over the years. He's been a criminal, just one that wasn't reported.

Isn't part of going to jail a penalty for bad deeds, separate from what it may accomplish? He's one of the worst type of criminals, one that was violent by perpetrating rape. Why would anyone think his age would stop him from being a predator anyway? I know you're just stating what you think may happen, and not personal opinion, but on that predication, the old crimes of the 72 year old Golden State Killer should be thought of the same way, and some may be due to the statute of limitations on rape.

Allow me to impose the most extreme example but I can think of, on such short notice.

Regardless of how people might think, or feel about it, if by some miracle, Jack the Ripper were alive today, he could parade down the streets proclaiming who he is.

And under English law, it would be impossible to prosecute him for the Whitechapel murders, because the statute of limitations would have expired.

My point is, that the law is the law. If you don't like it, work to change it. Otherwise, accept it for what it is.
 ghostata
Msg: 314
Posted: 5/5/2018 10:53:18 AM
Hi new yorker

"""Isn't part of going to jail a penalty for bad deeds, separate from what it may accomplish""

The criminal justice system pays lip service to rehabilitation imho. It's mainly punishment as far as I am concerned. I give it 50-50 whether the judge orders cosby jail at the sentencing. If not, he will go to jail if he loses his appeal of right..
 NewYorker58
Msg: 315
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2018 9:20:53 PM
Good can come from being in prison, as so many say they found God, LOL☺ I'm wondering when he's getting sentenced, and I read it has to be within 100 days after the trial.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread. Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not have a penguin
 NewYorker58
Msg: 316
view profile
History
Will someone try to stick a pudding pop up his arse in jail
Posted: 5/6/2018 9:23:54 PM
Good can come from being in prison, as so many say they found God, LOL☺ I'm wondering when he's getting sentenced, and I read it has to be within 100 days after the trial.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread. Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not have a penguin
 from site to sight
Msg: 317
Posted: 5/7/2018 6:43:23 AM
"The criminal justice system pays lip service to rehabilitation imho. It's mainly punishment as far as I am concerned."

True. When someone is convicted of a crime-especially a serious crime, where a victim is badly injured or killed-you don't hear many people say: "I hope the time spent in jail will turn him/her into a model citizen who can return to society and live a normal life."
 daynadaze
Msg: 318
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2018 8:46:02 AM
Prison is not a rehilbitation center for people to find their way, it's punishment. If a person wants therapy, they need to seek it on their own, just like everyone else has to.
 ghostata
Msg: 319
Posted: 5/7/2018 9:08:34 AM
^^^ easier said then done. The problem is many people are in jail because they are mentally ill..... when they should be in psychiatric hospitals instead...if in fact such facilities still existed. Then non-violent drug abusers... really do need rehabilitation. Warehousing them in jail is simply deferring the problem for a period of time.
 from site to sight
Msg: 320
Posted: 5/7/2018 9:30:28 AM
In Scandinavian countries, prisons are all about reform rather than punishment, and their prisons are more like apartment buildings. Surprisingly, the rate of repeat offenders is much lower than in the U.S.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 321
Posted: 5/7/2018 9:31:57 AM
and then they come out to find technology has left them behind, and how do they get a job.

Coz has had a few endorsement contracts...Jell-O, American Red Cross and Ford back in the 1970's...he was popular in his time.
 daynadaze
Msg: 322
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2018 7:16:12 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with therapy for those who are mentally I'll, poorly educated, victims of abuse, etc., but it's not going to happen. A few prisons try, but most them have arseholes ripping off the system and hardly get to help those who need it. As for hospitals, most of those people end up flushed out onto the street and harming innocent people, most should never be mixed with society. It needs to start when they are babies, taken out of abusive homes, but then what?, it is a vicious cycle. We are talking about criminals, they mostly don't want therapy, they want to harm others. Also many great people came from horrible homes, you can't see the future.
 LGL1975
Msg: 323
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2018 6:12:10 AM

In Scandinavian countries, prisons are all about reform rather than punishment, and their prisons are more like apartment buildings. Surprisingly, the rate of repeat offenders is much lower than in the U.S.

They don't have a large black population either.
 47Seagulls
Msg: 324
Posted: 5/8/2018 9:02:00 AM

They don't have a large black population either.

Wow. Just wow.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 325
Posted: 5/8/2018 11:46:15 AM
"They don't have a large black population either. "

>>>and how does that matter?

are you suggesting they don't have a large segment of their population to lock up unjustly?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bill Cosby admitted under oath he got Quaaludes to give women for sex