Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > She went on a date and spread it all over Facebook      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 48
view profile
History
She went on a date and spread it all over FacebookPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I use Facebook for friends and family only. Some people like to collect "friends" like notches on a bedpost. Kind of a pseudo popularity thing.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 49
She went on a date and spread it all over Facebook
Posted: 10/13/2015 7:34:26 PM
I don't use Facebook. If I want to say hi to a friend, I call them.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/21/2016 6:44:27 AM
I don't use Facebook. If I want to say hi to a friend, I call them.

---

I'm glad to hear you say that, because the guy I'm currently dating doesn't have Facebook and when I looked at him like he had two heads, he said that he calls people that he knows. I'm still not sure if i should be worried about him not having Facebook. The few people that I know who either hid or quit their Facebook had stuff to hide and were pretty shady. I don't want to get too hung up on that detail with him though, because so far, his actions and words have been matching really well. I'm just so hypervigilant about being lied to again that I'm literally looking for red flags.
 cooldog65
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2016 9:37:11 AM
^^^^^ Karma...I'm not on Facebook either. I just don't understand the fascination with any of those type of sites. I'm a bit old school and I like my anonymity.

Sounds like you have a good thing going with this guy. Don't blow it by looking for red flags.

The title of this thread is the way I feel about the online world. People put too much of their business out there. I'm not a trend follower. I make my own choices.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2016 10:50:39 AM

The few people that I know who either hid or quit their Facebook had stuff to hide and were pretty shady.

I'm not a fan of facebook. Is this high-school? Everyone has to join the silly club to be cool, otherwise you're sneered at? :) Many people use facebook only because they 'have to', and have it minimal. The best thing to do is to turn off other people posting on your page, and turn off people automatically labeling you in pictures. And to not have any of your (at least modern) pictures up there. Basically using it for info & communication purposes, not "Hey world! Look at me! I'm important!" :)

It's not so much being anonymous. It's that you run into people who are like "Oh, you on Facebook?!" and want to do/use that... then when you barely use it "Why don't you use Facebook?!" or "Why don't you post pictures on there?! I want to learn more about you!" Being OFF it gives you the benefit of not having to deal with that crap, especially when it's gals you don't really know. :)
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/21/2016 11:07:57 AM
Last October I posted on fb that I was done with it because I'd prefer to talk on the phone or, even better, actually get together in the real world.

No regrets so far.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/21/2016 5:58:03 PM
cooldog, thanks for the encouragement. I really like this guy, I feel at ease with him, but after having been burnt as many times as I have, I don't quite trust the peaceful feeling. I'm waiting to have the rug pulled from underneath me like in my previous relationships. He still texts me daily and calls me most nights. He's made plans for the future with me, and he assured me that he is not seeing other people. Of course, that could just be smooth words, so I'm still watchful. If he did have a Facebook account, I'd be dissecting it by now, lol.
 lilydreams
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/21/2016 7:01:54 PM
^^ How long have you been dating? How long do you or anyone wait before allowing someone to come on your FB page?
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/21/2016 9:38:35 PM
I met him back in January of this year. Had lunch and then went and saw a movie. Then nothing happened, no date, until last Sunday. That's when things took off, and we're both excited. He just called me and told me that he wants me to be his girlfriend and that he is taking down his profile on the cupid site where I met him. Actually, we are doing it together tomorrow. So I guess that's just as good as a status update on Facebook, lol.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2016 12:15:45 PM

If he did have a Facebook account, I'd be dissecting it by now, lol.

There may not be hardly anything to dissect. Many people just have Facebook to have a link to posted events and alerts that friends/family put up, but they don't really use it. Kind of like some forum posters here have a profile, but don't have a pic and are "just on here for the forums" in it -- you can't glean much from it. Said type on Facebook may have a few pictures of themselves, and a couple posts from many Years ago when trying it out -- but in the end, there's nothing to glean.

When it comes to trust -- one shouldn't take a lack of resources to know them inside & out and top-to-bottom = shady. It'd be a sad day for North American life if having a fruitful+up-to-date Facebook page, open for all to see, as a basic requirement for dating & trust. Although I think Mark Zuckerberg would LOVE that to be a cultural belief. :)
 Llove2laughtoo
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/23/2016 8:22:36 PM

Msg: 10
Dating and Facebook is a recipe for disaster. I only allow friends and family on my page.

My answer from last summer still stands, only friends and family on my page.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2016 2:35:53 AM
did he tell you what he had been doing for the three months he was silent? Any explanation as to why he contacted you again lately. I think if it were me, I would not have bothered to see him again. It is way too early to be his girlfriend
and I would take it slowly if I were you.

I like Facebook but am careful with the security issues. It is only for family and friends and I enjoy it immensely.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/25/2016 10:56:21 PM

I think Mark Zuckerberg would LOVE that to be a cultural belief. :)

He sure would. But some people are just not into it, and I've read boards where as much as someone would have liked to have Tinder, they don't want to have a Facebook account. I can't imagine having an online presence to maintain. Some people are more into pictures than others... Some people like to send funny gifs... my friend recently got Instagram and now she sends me links... I tell her "girl that's funny" or "girl that's cute" but I don't open the links.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > She went on a date and spread it all over Facebook