Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Horrible restaurant experiences on first date      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 26
Horrible restaurant experiences on first datePage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

kinda took offence to this, and said "Uh, is there any way we can get a booth instead?". It felt awkward telling the waitress this, but she had to know this.

First off, don't take offense, but do correct the situation. She doesn't know what you want. YOU DO. I personally hate booths, unless we both side on the same side. I prefer a table for 4 but sit at 45% angles. That way we can talk. If the restaurant is pack, you get what you can get. But if it's not and you see the place half empty ask them with a smile for a different table. If you become cantankerous and mean, you will also get bad service. But if you do it in a jovial way, and appreciate what they are doing, they will give you awesome service and make you feel like a mafia boss. Just remember, tip well. It's not only how they make a living, they will remember you and give you even better service next time.

"Oh, mister Gorilla, you're back. It's good to see you. Your usual table. Let me see, give me five minutes to kick those people off your table and have fresh plates for you and your lady friend."
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 27
Horrible restaurant experiences on first date
Posted: 7/16/2015 8:00:00 AM
I dont know, I guess I was expecting something REALLY newsworthy here, not just being shown to chairs instead of a booth. Like the time I was on a date in a restaurant and the guy started to yell out asking if anyone in the place had any heroin, or the time a date showed up with a lint roller for me wrapped up in a wine bag.

I actually ended up using the lint roller. Mr. Heroin never got a second date.
 MissScawlett
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/16/2015 8:01:36 AM
Offended? Really? Because the waitress had the audicity to offer a table instead of a booth?

Just nicely ask for a booth. I doubt she's going to say no. Problem solved.

I can think of a whole lot more going on in the world that's 100 times more offensive than a waitress not offering a booth.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/16/2015 8:25:41 AM
Here's one:

I once went on a date for a guy who insisted on meeting for dinner despite me suggesting something lighter like coffee or drinks/apps as it was a first meet. So fine, we met at the restaurant, had a couple drinks waiting for our table and when I tried to pay for my drinks (at least) a deal was made where I could get the drinks if I would be OK with him grabbing dinner, so I agreed. So far so good.

Then it went downhill, during dinner he complained to the staff about everything he could including the wait for the order to be taken, and the food to arrive, including how long it took for the water to be refilled. He didn't like his meal, it was over or undercooked (I don't remember) and by the end of the meal the cook and manager were at our table trying to give this guy a free dessert and take a discount off the bill to make him happy.

THAT was a bit embarrassing. Meanwhile at my side of the table everything was fine. The restaurant was busy, we didn't make reservations, I don't pay attention to stuff like water refills or order/meal times unless it's extremely bad - and it wasn't. My food was great, I had no complaints. He wasn't happy that I wasn't complaining.

I have worked in bars, clubs, restaurants, social venues for years. I expect to spend time with my date when I go out, and I am usually sympathetic to waitstaff for the jerks they deal with on busy nights. I am not there to evaluate the staff and restaurant for a Zagat entry - unless of course the service is so appalling that it's hard to ignore and the restaurant is empty and overstaffed. I had just broke up with a guy who was quite the opposite and would eat the wrong meal if he got that because he didn't like making a fuss. Perhaps I saw a bigger contrast because of that. Shrug.

Needless to say there wasn't another date. To me the restaurant should be the backdrop, he made it the focus of the event. Meh.

Now that I think about it we were seated at a table - but until this thread I didn't pay much attention to it.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/16/2015 9:18:39 AM

If I have the correct chain restaurant... they have a fried onion thingy that looks like a flower.

If I have that right, I had a first meet date with the man who invented that fried onion thingy that looks like a flower.

Sealady, sounds you like met a health nut...

Outback Steakhouse's Bloomin' Onion, has more than 800 calories, 58 grams of fat and 22 grams of saturated fat, plus 1,520 milligrams of sodium.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/16/2015 10:29:05 AM
OP and Maleman msg26
Mailman-
One thing to take into consideration OP, is who ever took you to a table doesn't really give a shyt where you sit. It's their job to randomly pick out an empty table.

Not quite right... It is the job of the Hostess to know what tables are open, in which waitstaff's section so she may divide the patrons between staff and not over tax one particular waitstaff or under engage another. Most likely your waitress had no open booth's in her section and you were then seated in some other staffs section to appease you. You knocked someone out of a customer ie tips plus added footsteps to your server.

Yes you are welcome to ask for a booth but sometimes that will add to your wait. Please say, "Donner, party of one. Booth please." It leaves no doubt and gives them the option of adjusting the waitstaff schedule. Remember you are a paying GUEST of the establishment and manners dictate you behave as a guest.

Le Pew
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/16/2015 10:34:41 AM

Outback Steakhouse's Bloomin' Onion, has more than 800 calories, 58 grams of fat and 22 grams of saturated fat, plus 1,520 milligrams of sodium. .

And now:

From Outback's website-

"Any time Kevin HarvickĀ®, driver of the No. 4 Chevrolet SS, finishes in the top 10 in a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race, you get a FREE BLOOMIN' ONIONĀ®* the Monday immediately following the race"

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me............
 WillyT990
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/18/2015 9:37:28 AM
This took place on what might have been my second date with my now ex-wife.

There was this small, locally-owned restaurant a few blocks from the university campus that I liked because at dinner, you could either go with a really formal menu, or order sandwiches off the lunch menu. At the formal dinners, they often served their own recipie of cream of peanut soup that was delicious. I'd taken several different dates there due to its good food and quiet atmosphere.

This particular night must have been this server's first night on the job. We elected to go with the lunch menu, and my date ordered her sandwich without mayo. Server seemed to get it all down and went to turn the order in. We talked and waited, and our food arrived. Well, date's sandwich had mayo on it, and she brought it up to the server. The server responded with, "Oh, that. Well, you can just scrape it off." Pretty well left us at a loss for words. I offered to let her order something else, but she said it would be ok. Must not have been too bad cause she ate the whole thing, but that's neither here nor there...

We were winding up the meal and I asked the server for the check. She said, aloud, "That will be $X.XX." I want to say it was $9.69, but can't quite remember. Maybe it's just me, but I always thought the server was supposed to bring you the check so the amount you owed would be at least somewhat secret from your date. I wasn't completely mean by stiffing the server without a tip, but I left less than I might have otherwise and made a note to bring it up to the owner, a family friend, another time.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/18/2015 9:55:04 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought the server was supposed to bring you the check so the amount you owed would be at least somewhat secret from your date.

Yeah, servers can be flat out idiots sometimes.

One of the downsides to picking a local place to date often, is you get remembered, bringing dates there.

Hi Steve, would you like the usual?

I swear this older female server resented me going there often with a different gal a few times a week, and made a point to embarrass me in front of my date. Found out she's no longer there so it's safe for me to go back again.

Welcome back Steve! What's the occasion this time? at another establishment.

Date proceeds to ask me what the occasion was the the last time I was there...

And then you just have awkward foo foo moments, like being asked if you'd like your picture taken with your date. Awkward.....
 Maleman999
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/18/2015 10:29:43 AM

And then you just have awkward foo foo moments, like being asked if you'd like your picture taken with your date. Awkward.....

I don't know how prevalent it is now, but I recall going to usual hangouts where a flower woman showed up every weekend night, and went to tables where couples were sitting, asking the guy at the table (question always directed at the guy) if he wanted to buy flowers, then look at the woman, while having a big smile on her face.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/18/2015 11:15:54 AM
I remember those. I didn't like it. You want to dance or eat, not hold a flower.
 overunity
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 11:24:47 AM
I remember those too. I'd always reply "no, but do you have any condoms?" The odd one would reply "no, you get THEM in the washroom!" Lmao all the way.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 2:16:52 PM

I kinda took offence to this, and said "Uh, is there any way we can get a booth instead?". It felt awkward telling the waitress this, but she had to know this.

Offense? Why? I was a hostess once (no lie). They rotate incomers into different server sections. I was also a server -- so I know both angles. You can always request a booth, but by default, they're going to seat you in the section of the server who's next in line to get a table... and that section very well may not have a booth! :)

So once ya understand that, then you shouldn't have any hard feelings.

My worst restaurant-related 1st date: One of my first real dates ever. We called her 'Nose', because she had a HUGE HUGE nose. Giant breasts, nice eyes, nice figure, but a massive nose where giving a BJ would be damn-near impossible (so I already ruled out that possibility even before getting her #). ANYWAY, point is, she refused to have me facing her when she ate. No lie. She made me turn around any time she took a bite. I was a complete rookie when it came to dates, as this was my first real date. I was glad to find out later that this was not the norm for girls, and probably just restricted to gals with massive noses.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/18/2015 2:24:38 PM
I'm willing to bet the date suckered for her too.

I'm imagining going on a dinner date when you have a phobia about anyone seeing you eat.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/18/2015 2:45:36 PM

One of the downsides to picking a local place to date often, is you get remembered, bringing dates there.

Hi Steve, would you like the usual?

I swear this older female server resented me going there often with a different gal a few times a week, and made a point to embarrass me in front of my date. Found out she's no longer there so it's safe for me to go back again.

Welcome back Steve! What's the occasion this time? at another establishment.

Date proceeds to ask me what the occasion was the the last time I was there...

Generally being a regular customer and staff recognizing you and calling you by name isn't to spite you - it's pretty common practice to make the experience personal. You may feel weird about it because you have brought dates there before but your date has no idea why you were there last and who you were with...you may just frequent the place with a variety of people because you like it.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 3:01:27 PM
^^True, but I have had a jealous bartender purposely tried to OUT me ! I just said I come here often with a big grin!
 NJgirl116
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/18/2015 3:13:11 PM
There was a seinfeld episode about a girl George dated who had a big nose. She got her nose fixed and went out with a better looking guy I think.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/18/2015 3:25:33 PM
Of course you didn't cry. You knew you could do better than a guy who wasn't bright enough to hang on to you. Of course, you might have to move to Canada.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 5:18:03 PM

It's a bit of an awkward situation to deal with when your date is uncomfortable with you looking at her.

Uhhh, yeah. Just a bit. Only a bit. ;)

But couldn't you be kinder? Everyone has insecurities about certain things.

Hey, I didn't refuse to turn around! Seriously, EVERY bite she took, she asked me to turn my shoulders around and my neck 180 from her. The sad thing is from onlookers, I looked like I couldn't bear to watch her eat or something. I'm NOT lying about this! It's hilarious looking back. Okay -- in all truth, I did peek once, and she caught me -- and started barking at me in anger. Kind of like a mean dog protecting it's food bowl from others. Other than that, I did whatever she told me -- I kissed her ass (and her nose when kissing; but that was almost impossible to avoid since I had virtually no kissing experience and her schnoz was gigantic). I was always Very kind to her, actually! Our dating only lasted about a month. And all this took place in the late 90s.

She most likely got a nose job, which would make her really hot. I'm sure her next BF after her nose job was probably laughing his a$$ off if/when seeing her old pictures. I probably have walked past her before a time or two and not recognized her since it's been so many years.
 WillyT990
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/18/2015 8:34:18 PM

Funny you bring that up... One of the other servers in that place waited on me when over the course of a couple of months, I brought four different girls in there. To his credit, he was discrete.

This made me laugh. It probably wasn't funny then, though.
 StarClassic
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/19/2015 8:20:19 AM

THIS is the worst thing you can come up with? Seriously? Good gravy. Come back in a few years.

+100
Wait until you've had your date vomit at the table.
Uh, EEErp, BLAAAAaa, and the subsequent chain reaction in the dining room.
THAT, my boy, is an horrendous dining experience.
 Peas_
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/19/2015 10:14:56 AM

+100
Wait until you've had your date vomit at the table.
Uh, EEErp, BLAAAAaa, and the subsequent chain reaction in the dining room.
THAT, my boy, is an horrendous dining experience.

bwahaha, yep, I had a date almost do that. Evidently he never had Chinese food before ever in his life. He started retching and gagging on lo mein noodles. I was aghast, and jumped up from the table to clear myself from the potential spray that he was going on and on about for over a minute. No, he didn't need the heimlich maneuver. blech.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/19/2015 4:24:24 PM

clooneystutor :

I agree. Yesterday I was at a nice restaurant near Rockefeller Center and Fifth Avenue with three female co-workers. As we always do when we are together, we asked upfront that we will need separate checks.

The server began by giving me flattering compliments of what a lucky man I was to be surrounded by three beautiful women, and ended the sentence by insinuating that gentlemen always pays. As if that wasn't enough, she then proceeded to lecture my co-workers that a gentleman always pays for dinner, and kept reminding us every time she came to our table. We just ignored her.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/19/2015 6:47:27 PM
^^^
That's pathetic and down right stupid.

You know what they say about ASSumptions...
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 6:59:25 PM

As if that wasn't enough, she then proceeded to lecture my co-workers that a gentleman always pays for dinner, and kept reminding us every time she came to our table. We just ignored her.

Are you fvcking kidding me? WOW. At the first swing by the server, I would have been not so mean but said "Nice, looks like you got a lot of training in being kosher with the customers... we're not swingers, we're co-workers... but if I ran the company, I surely would. But I'm not, thanks." If the server came at me with another swing, I would have talked to the gals about it, and if they found it rude as well (which I'm assuming they did) -- I would tell them that I'll pick up the tabs if they just pay me roughly half their bills, but not to let the server know/see.

I would then put all 3 on my card and left the waitress with $0.25 tip. With a note saying, "This is how much your next date should pay for you, if you are so lucky. Don't keep talking crap to customers. Peace."
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Horrible restaurant experiences on first date