Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > It looks like POF has already made some changes.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sviitmore
Msg: 26
It looks like POF has already made some changes.Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
With all due respect, I am NOT here to be liked. I am here because I like intense debate. If most people liked me, something would be wrong. I can honestly say that for the last 40 years of my life, it has not concerned me in the least what people may think about me so long as I respect myself and so long as my personality does not damage my occupation. But I am pretty good at getting people to like me when I need and want to. And I was pretty damn fortunate in my younger years in the women department so obviously I was doing something right. No issues on my end. On the other hand, I resent that is so easy that those who don't appreciate my kindness, humor and intellect, are able to have me banned from a public message like POF just because they want to. Hopefully that has changed.
 IL_Capitano
Msg: 27
view profile
History
It looks like POF has already made some changes.
Posted: 7/20/2015 6:59:54 PM

There's a lot more to the story than...oh, he just said something they didn't like....come on

Did you read the National Post article?

I'm going with that article and the stuff that has been made public through the members of the media who are following the trial. If you have other info, post the links. I'd love to take a look.

Whistle_Stop
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/20/2015 7:09:47 PM
Just google it...yourself.
I read the National post one and a couple from the Star and this one...there's more. On my way out.!

http://knlive.ctvnews.ca/toronto-harassment-case-may-show-how-tweets-can-lead-to-jail-1.1628352
 IL_Capitano
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2015 7:20:03 PM

There’s no allegation that Mr. Elliott ever made sexual comments to Ms. Guthrie or the other two complainants in the case, or that he even threatened any of them. The investigating Toronto Police officer, Detective Jeff Banglid, already has testified to this, and Ms. Guthrie has acknowledged it herself.

Cool....

... did you miss this bit from the National Post article?

"There’s no allegation that Mr. Elliott ever made sexual comments to Ms. Guthrie or the other two complainants in the case, or that he even threatened any of them. The investigating Toronto Police officer, Detective Jeff Banglid, already has testified to this, and Ms. Guthrie has acknowledged it herself."

I suppose I'm missing a lot of stuff..... Maybe I should go the the "Mary Sue" or some other more legitimate news source.

HalftimeDad
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/20/2015 7:30:32 PM
It wasn't a National Post article, it was an editorial by Christie Blanchford. Big difference. While I often enjoy her writing and passionate positions, she has been known for blurring the actual facts in a story if they aren't convenient for her opinion.

I've looked at both links and they have conflicting information. I could do some actual research online, but I don't care enough.
 IL_Capitano
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2015 7:42:00 PM

It wasn't a National Post article, it was an editorial by Christie Blanchford. Big difference. While I often enjoy her writing and passionate positions, she has been known for blurring the actual facts in a story if they aren't convenient for her opinion.

Ok.... I know nothing about Blanchford. Is she the type of journalist who would make shit up about what was said in the court? I was just looking at the National Post header and considered it legit.

Whistle's article was a year old, so it doesn't address the current state of the case. I'll keep my eye open for other articles.

Cheers.

DietFree
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2015 7:55:59 PM

With all due respect, I am NOT here to be liked. I am here because I like intense debate.

Well, since you're idea of intense debate is insults and put downs, then there's no wonder that your account has been deleted so many times.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/20/2015 8:05:11 PM

On the other hand, I resent that is so easy that those who don't appreciate my kindness, humor and intellect, are able to have me banned from a public message like POF just because they want to. Hopefully that has changed.

Do you really think your posts show kindness, humour, and intellect? Come on now, you know your remarks are often personal, snide, and condescending. If you want to stay, it's very simple. Just don't do that. I am sure you are smart enough to figure out that once you start with the personal insults, people don't see you as rational or reasonable and they are less likely to listen to what you have to say.

I work with a lot of women and hear and see a lot of sexist stuff coming from them, but you'll NEVER hear any man saying or doing anything similar because they know they will be suspended or at least hauled up on the carpet in very short order if they say anything that is even remotely seen as sexist, misogynist or politically incorrect by the women.

I don't suppose you will be surprised to hear that my experience has been very much the opposite. I have heard one or two isolated comments from women, and have called them out on it, but over the years, I have seen ( and experienced ) sexual harassment and discrimination in the work place. coming from men. It is far less than it used to be, but I can't say for sure if times have changed or if it is just that I work in a much different professional environment than I did when I was young.

Could you give an example of what the women in the workplace do to you or the other men that you feel is sexist? Also, do you tell them it is sexist?
 2ufo
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/20/2015 8:21:01 PM

...why do you have a problem with my defending myself?

While not directed at me, you 'defending' yourself usually appears as a pre-emptive strike in order to foment rebellion and unrest. You bring very little to discussions except acrimony and personal insult.

Good-bye.

EDIT: I have no desire to delete you. You're not worth the effort and it only makes you chortle with knowing you've irritated someone.
 Seki1949
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2015 11:54:45 PM

With all due respect, I am NOT here to be liked.

Success!
 sviitmore
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/21/2015 4:43:22 AM
Nonsense 2ufo, I have brought discussion you all simply don't want to hear. Many of you are bullies and are simply intolerant of those who bring to head issues you don't like. Like the wholesale double standard about the way guys in college are treated compared to the girls, their being deprived of basic rights to defend themselves. Still I do appreciate you are not one of the goons who push the report button. Those women are the true bullies.

New girl, if you can point out personal insults, I would appreciate it. I give some impassioned opinions but I rarely personally insult. I may offend, but that is not my goal. Some people are offended at anything said politically incorrect.

Lots of nice, likeable guys on here. You women do not seem to be running after them. Being a nice guy often means a guy is a doormat. Like pig, that is something I learned long, long ago I would refuse to be.
 Peas_
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/21/2015 7:38:14 AM
My opinion is that don't be so sure it's not POF employees round here pushing the buttons on you. Just for the fun of it. They're like that ya know. They really don't give a f*ck, and would do it simply to get a rise outta making things "interesting" and controlling an outcome, which predictably, you would get upset about and begin to be paranoid and point fingers at anyone. They would be sitting back, laughing at the choreography of it all in the orchestration. Yup.
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/21/2015 9:02:06 AM

... did you miss this bit from the National Post article?

"There’s no allegation that Mr. Elliott ever made sexual comments to Ms. Guthrie or the other two complainants in the case, or that he even threatened any of them. The investigating Toronto Police officer, Detective Jeff Banglid, already has testified to this, and Ms. Guthrie has acknowledged it herself.

I must have missed that he was being charged with "sexual harassment" too...

Thanks Halftime....Like you said....anyone can write their opinion or twist on it.
All I know, is this is not the first time cyber bullying has been brought to our attention and it's effects on another.
What you deem to be nonsense may not to another in that position.

I'll tell you a little story....Long before the internet and cell phones....no caller ID.
In the mid to late 70's....I was married, two children....working part time, as my girls were young.
I got a phone call....mid day...started off with "hi"...how are you?
I'm wracking my brain trying to recognize the voice....actually, thought it was my brother-in-law pretending to sound
different...nope, he says.
Knew my name...said I was gorgeous...now, it's getting creepy....who would talk to me like that?

Still not wanting to be rude...kinda played along...he then said something about where I work.
Hhmmm....I made an excuse and said I had to go and hung up.
After asking and calling people...just couldn't figure it out.
Now, I'm totally freaked....Not knowing who it could be.
Was he a fellow from work, in the neighborhood, some random who just got his kicks....calling people?
There were 2 to 3 more calls....I just would hang up.
They stopped and it was in the paper they had caught a guy looking in windows at night in the neighborhood.
I dk if it was him or not.

My point is.....He never said anything sexual or threatening but I felt threatened.
I don't imagine many "men" will ever know that feeling.

My gosh....Just look how p'o'd the OP is from a few women on an open forum not liking him or his constant belittling of a few.
His pride is hurt. He needs to mention how smart he is and we just don't get him, meanwhile
we see him as someone that doesn't respect our opinions.

This may be the longest post....I've ever done...probably fall on deaf ears anyways.
I'll leave you with this charming tidbit...I'm sure we have all heard before.

Opinions are like arseholes....everyone has one
 rearguard*2
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2015 10:00:13 AM
^^^ I think ANYBODY who received anonymous calls from someone who spouted intimate knowledge of their lives would be, at the very least, unsettled. I certainly would be. To suppose its only a female response that men would know nothing about is pretty indicative of how you view men and women, and not in a very constructive light.

For a man, there is nothing as scarey as a crazy woman on his case. Even if she is not crazy, if she is harassing him, its scarey. While I do not think that men, in general go about terrified of women, there is no doubt that they can be a worry if their behaviour is in any way odd. Anonymous communication is always unsettling.
 sviitmore
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/21/2015 10:08:21 AM

He needs to mention how smart he is and we just don't get him

LOL. This is what I said:

those who don't appreciate my kindness, humor and intellect

Obviously this was said in jest. I get that none of you tight-azzes think I am kind or humorous in the least. It was said in Levity . . . to be funny. Sorry I missed the mark. I forgot who my audience was.

As for not getting me . . .well yea, you don't. But I don't expect you to get me. You know nothing about me other than how I portray myself on this board. How could you possibly get me? Just like I don't get most of the people here other than those who wear their emotions on their sleeves.
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/21/2015 10:29:38 AM
@rearguard

To suppose its only a female response that men would know nothing about is pretty indicative of how you view men and women, and not in a very constructive light.

I see you decided to ignore this in my post

I don't imagine many "men" will ever know that feeling
Plus, you missed my whole point......just never mind.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/21/2015 11:19:17 AM

@rearguard

To suppose its only a female response that men would know nothing about is pretty indicative of how you view men and women, and not in a very constructive light.

I see you decided to ignore this in my post

I don't imagine many "men" will ever know that feeling
Plus, you missed my whole point......just never mind.

No love lost b/w Whistle & I BUT...
how could anyone marginalize her experience?

Scary& creepy, plus she had young kids at the time...

I recall being a child & hearing about Helter Skelter/Sharon Tate, The HoneyMoon Killers, Kitty Genovese & Alice Crimmins.
Heinous things do happen, mostly to women when it comes to stalking/sex crimes!
 rearguard*2
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2015 11:21:15 AM
Well, my point is that "many men" do know that kind of feeling.

If your post was not about feeling threatened by anonymous invasions of your personal privacy, what was it about? Most of it was about your reaction to a situation, a few words were about the wierdo OP.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/21/2015 11:26:14 AM

Well, my point is that "many men" do know that kind of feeling.

If your post was not about feeling threatened by anonymous invasions of your personal privacy, what was it about? Most of it was about your reaction to a situation, a few words were about the wierdo OP.

Google the stats on Serial Killers & Rapists
very high percent are men, female serial killers are few & far between, as well as rapists.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/21/2015 11:47:57 AM
http://earonsgsk.proboards.com/thread/334/serial-killer-statistics

Several members have raised questions about the frequency of serial murders, the ratio of female to male serial killers, and other fun facts. So I looked for some recent statistics. Caveat: this information is from a variety of different internet sources. I can't attest to their accuracy, however I did compare a number of sources and the numbers seem consistent.
According to the US Disaster Center, which keeps yearly statistics for all types of crimes, between 1970-1980 there were 637,560 rapes and 215,270 murders in the United States. It's wise to be aware that rape crisis center professionals agree that approx. 3/4 rapes, or an astounding 75%, go unreported. The murder statistic did not distinguish between solved and unsolved.
I was unable to find numbers of unsolved bludgeoning deaths, but there is a list of serial killers, presented alphabetically, on Wikipedia. Obviously, they only get credit for the ones for which they accept responsibility. Who knows how many more?
There is heated debate about the actual number of serial killers on the prowl at any given time. The FBI experts don't agree. Some say 40/50 active serials , some say 600! That's a huge disparity. The FBI estimates 6,000 serial murder victims/ yr. I could not find statistics for unsolved ones, nor for unsolved murders state by state.
The majority of serials--90%-- are men. ( As of 2010).
But here's an interesting fact. In 1900, 40% were women, 60% were men.
According to the official FBI demographic profile, male serials, responsible for 90% of serial murders, may kill over 40 people on average, each. They usually strangle, bludgeon or stab their victims. Of those who are caught, 55% claim their motive was sex, with the next highest motive being control. Forensic psychologists have a lot to say about THAT.
Female serials are dramatically fewer in number, (10%), but may kill far more people each. They are described as more deadly, more prolific and "quieter". They tend not to seek out completely random strangers as victims, but kill either at home, or in a hospital/institutional setting. Overwhelmingly, their preferred method is poison--over 80%--and their stated motive is financial gain--72%. Because they don't go out and actively troll, they are far more likely to fly under the radar for a long time. There are three categories of female serial killer.
THE BLACK WIDOW: She will poison husbands, family members, male suitors, renters, anyone in her closest circle, for money.
THE ANGEL OF DEATH: She poisons, overdoses, or suffocates the newborn, ill, or elderly, in a hospital or rest home or such, to "put them out of their misery". She is a nurse or aide or other health care worker. Her motive is her imagined role as an agent of God. (=power).
MUNCHAUSEN SYNDROME BY PROXY: This woman usually kills her own children, one by one, over the years, after first causing them long term chronic medical problems. She may use poison, drugs, or in some cases, injections of toxic chemicals or of fecal material, to create medical crises, and finally, death. Her aim is to garner attention and praise for herself, as the poor, long suffering and dedicated mother of the sad, sickly child. A subset of this type is the mother of newborns who stages a SIDS like death scenario. She has many pregnancies, that all end tragically in the apparent crib death of her newborns. Until professionals got wise to this, many years were spent trying to diagnose the unfortunate inherited family propensity for SIDS. The motive here is the attention received during pregnancy, and the sympathy after the death of the baby.
Female serials like Aileen Wuornos are rare, indeed. Although she exhibited some of the behaviors of the male serial, there is debate about her mental state. Severely abused and neglected as a child, essentially completely uneducated, possibly brain damaged from an early age, and severely alcoholic, she supported herself as a prostitute. Experts believe that, unlike most--but not all!--male serials, she was not a psychopath, per se, but was floridly psychotic. They believe she may have been convinced, in her rage and delusion, that the killings were self defense against perceived ( but not necessarily actual), rapes.

There are a couple of sites that list unsolved murders through the years, but any member of this board will immediately recognize that they are wholly inadequate. Reading through them quickly with particular murders in mind, I was unable to find cases that I think should be well- known, for example, the stabbing death, in her own bed, of Sen. Charles Percy's daughter Valerie, in the 60s. Many, many runaways, prostitutes and homeless people are completely ignored in victim lists.
I'm sorry I couldn't find more solid information about serial murders that resemble GSK's victims during the same time frame. I wouldn't be surprised that our man got around, like Ted Bundy, and there are many more crimes to add to his resume.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/11/male-female-rape-statistics-graphic

69,000 female, 9,000 male rape victims per year: get the full data
One in five women in England and Wales has been the victim of a sexual offence or attempted offence. For the first time the Ministry of Justice, Home Office and Office for National Statistics have combined their data to provide a statistical overview of sexual offences
 rearguard*2
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2015 12:16:44 PM
Well, let's see...

Population of the UK is about 65 million, total rapes is about 80 thousand. That gives the percentage of the population being raped is about 0.12%, or something like 1 in 1000. Assuming that the total rapes are indicative of independent single unrelated incidents (as in there are no instances of the same person being raped multiple times by the same perpetrators).

That implies that the typical person can expect, if they live 1000 years, to be raped once.

It also implies that the vast majority of people will pass their entire lives never experiencing being raped.

It also implies that the probability of not being raped in your lifetime is 99.9%.

Statistics are a wonderful thing. What does the statistic that 20% of women are victims of "some form" of sexual violence actually mean? Its not rape, apparently. There is not much doubt that many women are leery of unwanted male attentions. So are men, but there is no press on that subject.

The use of misleading statistics for political purposes is a particularly unfortunate characteristic of human life. In most instances, the message being delivered is either completely misleading or totally one sided. The result is irrational views of reality.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/21/2015 12:19:10 PM
Women get raped & many don't even report it. Where r ur stats? I showed mine...u also IGNORED the serial killer stats...ur post is kaka IMO
 rearguard*2
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2015 12:28:06 PM

how could anyone marginalize her experience?

I certainly did not marginalize her experience.

Jumping form wierdo phone calls, not threatening in any direct sense (as she stated), to the issue of rape and serial killers is a rather extreme attempt to sensationalize her experience.

Let's just all be paranoid wrecks as we go through life. After all, you never do really know your neighbours, co-workers, friends and relatives. Anyone of them COULD be a serial killing rapist woman beating child molesting pervert. Most likely, however, they are just sitting down with a coffee worrying about you.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2015 12:31:28 PM
Many men get raped and abused and don't report it. Yawn.

I did not ignore any of the stats you published. You just don't like that they show that in general, people need not worry for their safety.

Google the statistics on the perception of crime statistics vs the reality. Yes, people get robbed, but most never do. Yet, people are worried about crime rates, eve although they are generally in decline.
 07songsungblue
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/21/2015 12:47:18 PM
Why is it that every second thread turns into a "yea, well women get raped yanno ". That the hell. I'm sure if I went to the recipe threads in among the apple sauce recipes is someone saying "yea, well women get raped yanno". Get off the topic or start a friggin thread ABOUT rape, victims, abuse, etc.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > It looks like POF has already made some changes.