Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > It looks like POF has already made some changes.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dragonbytes
Msg: 151
It looks like POF has already made some changes.Page 7 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

I am not surprised to hear CC and Joe say that the female attacks on males often involve weapons, since a smaller, weaker woman might seek to level the field. I am also not surprised to hear that female attacks male partners can be quite vicious. Anyone can be violent.

Wouldn't you think short smaller men would be much more popular?
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 152
It looks like POF has already made some changes.
Posted: 7/25/2015 5:07:47 AM

I wonder about the motivation in SOME of those attacks, though. Sure, some women be nasty, violent ****es, I am sure. However, sometimes over the top violence can occur in isolation. What I mean is a person who is not by nature a violent person can snap, if she or he has been bullied and abused over time.

Most were of the domestic violence type where the male was was discovered to be cheating, staying out late and coming home intoxicated etc. One case involved a female gang where a male had disrespected a member. I have to say other than the gang related incident, most were commited in a fit of rage as the females were remorseful after the fact, so there is the possibility that this anger had built over a period of time and may have involved some type of prior abuse.

I had one case where I just happened to be close when the call came out on a man shot. I was there in less than a minute and she was still holding the gun standing over his body and was in obvious shock, visibly distraught. Alcohol was a contributing factor. She was just pushed to her limit from fear and anxiety of a physical attack.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 153
Posted: 7/25/2015 5:11:21 AM

Most were of the domestic violence type where the male was was discovered to be cheating, staying out late and coming home intoxicated etc. One case involved a female gang where a male had disrespected a member. I have to say other than the gang related incident, most were commited in a fit of rage as the females were remorseful after the fact, so there is the possibility that this anger had built over a period of time and may have involved some type of prior abuse.

When a man injured his female companion, what was motivating reason for the attack?
 Peas_
Msg: 154
Posted: 7/25/2015 5:26:44 AM
My ex said to me when I asked for my divorce, "I'm going to make you wish you were dead."....I only wish he was dead occasionally still, not daily anymore. Nuff said.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 155
Posted: 7/25/2015 5:36:32 AM

When a man injured his female companion, what was motivating reason for the attack?

Sometimes for suspicion of cheating, others where they just came home drunk and when the wife/girlfriend said something they went off. There were a few where the guy simply said that she would'nt shut up, constantly nagging him about work, money on and on till he could'nt take it anymore and she got in his face provoking him.

Sometimes they were just plain mean and did'nt need a reason other than they felt she had it coming.

I will say very few of these involved weapons, just physically beating the woman, one guy did use a razor strap.

In domestic calls when I was on patrol we were aware of the possible baiting that couples do to point to the other party being the aggressor as those were the ones going to jail.

We used to black out the cars down the block and park three four doors down and approach the house unannounced and tried to hear and see as much as possible before knocking. I've seen a woman slap herself several times across the face and tell her husband "you're going to jail"....I also had a man scrape himself on the neck and arm with his fingernails and when we went inside he was accusing her of attacking him.

Now if the primary aggressor cannot be determined...both go to jail. Due to liability concerns no domestic violence calls where it's obvious that some type of altercation took place leaves both parties at home....somebody is going somewhere.

Joey was right about the arrest of the male and the female going beserk on the officers, happened a few times with me.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 156
Posted: 7/25/2015 6:33:40 AM
CC, I kind of like Blue Bloods, if you have seen the show, do you think it's very realistic? Obviously no one encounters that many traumatic situations day to day, but it seems realistic as to what can happen.

I have have a fair number of interactions with the police.

For one thing, I used to speed a lot when I was younger. Another thing, I lived in a very high crime neighborhood at 54th and Ashland on the south side of Chicago, 10% of the buildings are missing windows, have burn marks and sometimes squatters / druggies / hookers use the buildings.

One police interaction, I was the victim, three guys mugged me at about 9;00 at night on a Friday. They were in back, front, to the side with a large wall to my right, so no where to run. Since they didn't have a weapon, I fought them, but they tried to drag me across the streets to the projects, and then managed to rip my pocket with the wallet out of my jeans. They took off in the dark jungle that is the projects, then a small black kid runs up to be with a steel poker, gives it to me and tells me I can go get them. No way is that going to happen. Then a minute later a squad car rolls up, and the cop tells me they had spotted me earlier, I was behaving like an easy target. I told him, the muggers just ran into the project He was a southern type with a drawl, and said he said, O....K. Asked if they got my "poke". But no way would they go into the projects and the muggers were long gone. AND I was really surprised that I got my wallet with ID back in the mail, return address, "a soul brother".

Anyway, I have had the police train their guns on me at least twice that I recall. One time the office's gun was shaking, that made me nervous, glad I didn't sneeze. I don't blame them, I behaved oddly late at night, they checked me out and I went on my way.

But this one time was very odd.

I went through a stop sign, it was just one of those signs on a through street that seemed out of place and I missed it totally. The stop sign appeared to be there because there was a large factory where they would exit from the parking area, it wasn't an intersection. I saw the sign after I was half way through it.

A police car followed me for a bit, I know this is common in a traffic stop, not a big deal, he will pull me over before I get out of his district. Then he lit up his lights and I pulled over.

Then he asked me to get in the back of his squad car, now that is odd. Never happened before or after. He looks at my license, and sees staple marks in the license (they kept your license as bail), and says this isn't good for you, you have been stopped before.

Then he says, I don't know what I am going to do about this? (I think, normally you give me a ticket).

It seemed like he was hinting he wanted a bribe. So I took out my wallet and was going to lay $20 on the back seat. I figure I could claim I dropped it if he accused me of bribery.

Then he said, he was recording our conversation, and I should let my conscience be my guide !?!?

Geez, I was hoping he wasn't high or something.

I took him at his word, he gave me my license back, I picked up my $20 and left, thinking bribery isn't done with a good conscience.

I kept looking back in my mirror wondering what next?? He let me go, and I kept on driving away.

So what was that all about?
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 157
Posted: 7/25/2015 7:20:30 AM

So what was that all about?[

I have no idea.

Things have changed so much over the years. The locations make a huge difference as well.

I see Joey post some stuff about policing in NY and I can't fathom it being that way. Heck his dept. was and is so big that there would be officers that you would never see let alone meet in your entire career.

We didn't have a crime scene unit, we had to do everything ourselves from taking footprint casts, photographs, gun shot residue tests, bucal swabs, blood stain samples, control samples, collect physical evidence, bag, tag, interview, canvas for witnesses, ballistic trajectory etc. you got called out on a shooting/homicide you could count on 10-12 hrs minimum usually 18-24 hrs. before you got a break.

The last 5 years I averaged having right at 300-330 cases assigned to me per year. These were anything from theft, forgery, assault, rape, money laundering, fraud and homicides.
You could only clear a case one of two ways, you either made an arrest or you determined a crime was never actually commited.

Gang related multiple shootings with multiple moving sites were a nightmare to work.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 158
Posted: 7/25/2015 9:12:19 AM

The only acceptable reason for anyone to assault their SO is self defense. That is why the battered spouse defense exists. Any woman or man who can prove ongoing physical abuse can be excused for finally snapping and lashing out physically IMO.

BTW, physical abuse is often accompanied by emotional and psychological abuse and even financial control. Sometimes the person even makes threats against his/her victim’s children. Also it is well known that abusers take steps to isolate their victims from a supportive network of family and friends. That is why the person doesn’t “just leave” a lot of the time.

Any woman who inflicts this type of harm on her SO should be punished under the law exactly as a man should be. I am sure it is humiliating and difficult for ANY abuse victim to come forward, but noting can change if people don’t report before things escalate to a point of no return.

IOW, You have Your fingers in Your Ears & are saying, "I'm not listening"....... You've made up Your mind & nothing will change it......

That’s not the case at all. I read the links DB posted. The one study involved just over a thousand “young” men and women in Cumbria. I am much more familiar with studies and experiences involving a significantly different cohort. I would be interested in a study involving a much broader age range, and frankly, done in my own country.

The article also stated, “This apparent equality is not solely a result of women fighting back.” This makes me wonder how many of the acts of violence by females WERE about fighting back. Some actual percentages would have been nice.

I am not saying I completely disregard the gist of the article, which is that women can also be violent in a domestic partnership. In fact, I already knew that. I still question the prevalence of female on male violence, and, no, the articles did not change my mind on that. That is not to say that some other study couldn’t change my opinion.
 07songsungblue
Msg: 159
Posted: 7/25/2015 11:40:39 AM
I don't know why you would be so quick to dismiss a study from Cumbria, Wales. I would think data from Wales, England, Scotland or Ireland would be closer to Canadian data, closer even than US data. I could see you dismissing the information if it came from a study in a much more male dominated country like Kenya or Yemen.

I'm sure that the vast majority of female on male violence goes unreported. JMO.

And someone agreeing that female on male violence occurs and then adding the caveat "she must have been driven to it" is not really agreeing.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2015 11:52:55 AM
Song, so what are you saying? Are you saying women just get violent on their men without any provocation?
 07songsungblue
Msg: 161
Posted: 7/25/2015 12:05:54 PM
No, not exactly. Some women can get violent without provocation and some will get violent with provocation. Personally, I'd like to believe that a woman ONLY gets violent when provoked, when protecting herself or her children, or after years of mental and physical abuse. But I know that this is not always the case as "some" women (just like some men) are just mean and nasty...they are the minority, thankfully.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2015 12:17:11 PM

They took off in the dark jungle that is the projects, then a small black kid runs up to be with a steel poker, gives it to me and tells me I can go get them. No way is that going to happen. Then a minute later a squad car rolls up, and the cop tells me they had spotted me earlier, I was behaving like an easy target. I told him, the muggers just ran into the project He was a southern type with a drawl, and said he said, O....K. Asked if they got my "poke". But no way would they go into the projects and the muggers were long gone. AND I was really surprised that I got my wallet with ID back in the mail, return address, "a soul brother".

When was this, as in what decade? In NYC cops would probably just go into the projects and radio housing cops to help search the common areas. They would also use the viper camera's to see what happened. Problem in the projects is that the description you give would apply to a large amount of the young ones hanging out from height, color, and dress.
I don't know and weird that they would put a civilian uncuffed in the back of the RMP. Perhaps bored and fracking with you? Who knows

One time the office's gun was shaking, that made me nervous, glad I didn't sneeze.

That is good, shows he is human. I once got ridiculed for NOT being emotional and I was jokingly accused of being to calm on the radio when I was in gun involved situations( usually when it comes over the cop sounds like he himself was/is shot)

CC, I kind of like Blue Bloods, if you have seen the show, do you think it's very realistic? Obviously no one encounters that many traumatic situations day to day, but it seems realistic as to what can happen.
They took off in the dark jungle that is the projects, then a small black kid runs up to be with a steel poker, gives it to me and tells me I can go get them. No way is that going to happen. Then a minute later a squad car rolls up, and the cop tells me they had spotted me earlier, I was behaving like an easy target. I told him, the muggers just ran into the project He was a southern type with a drawl, and said he said, O....K. Asked if they got my "poke". But no way would they go into the projects and the muggers were long gone. AND I was really surprised that I got my wallet with ID back in the mail, return address, "a soul brother".

When was this, as in what decade? In NYC cops would probably just go into the projects and radio housing cops to help search the common areas. They would also use the viper camera's to see what happened. Problem in the projects is that the description you give would apply to a large amount of the young ones hanging out from height, color, and dress.
I don't know and weird that they would put a civilian uncuffed in the back of the RMP. Perhaps bored and fracking with you? Who knows

One time the office's gun was shaking, that made me nervous, glad I didn't sneeze.

That is good, shows he is human. I once got ridiculed for NOT being emotional and I was jokingly accused of being to calm on the radio when I was in gun involved situations( usually when it comes over the cop sounds like he himself was/is shot)

I don't generally watch COP shows, movies though I will. Most cops shows are BS, except the old Law and Orders which were real cases.
Cop shows annoy me because they say that the writer study the depts but they get most things wrong.

For example: I once saw a show where the detective told a cop what to do. NYPD was the dept, like usual. Detectives are the same seniority as PO. If one TOLD me what to do , I would tell him where to put his rookie a$$.

Or the Detective who gets promoted to Captain..wtf? What happened to the ranks of Sgt, Lt that become before Capt?

My favorite, washed out LA cop gets transferred to NYPD. On what planet? He would have to start as a rookie and go though academy again after making in though Background investigations.. (rolls eyes).

OR the FBI agent threatens to "get the cop" for not listening...wtf? FBI doesn't tell NYPD cops what to do and they actually have to beg to be allowed to move dignitaries though traffic since they have no control of civilian traffic. Bunch of whining pansies that can't even conduct proper Counter terrorism in the city!

All these and more make watching ANY police tv drama a chore. It might as well be fantasy.

I will say training day and Brooklyns finest were good movies, for showing the life.

But training day took the NYPD method of becoming a det and put it as being that way in LAPD, but I am pretty sure LAPD detectives are made by a promotional exam and have a Sgt rank.

Brooklyn finest was good at showing the salty dog hair bag! Richard Gere's character reminded me of many guys I worked with and actually the same shit I went though. You are just a number and when you retire you might as well be a fly on the wall. And his advice to the rookies was very good. They usually get too buffy and get hurt or killed . Guys like that can't wait to retire!

I see Joey post some stuff about policing in NY and I can't fathom it being that way. Heck his dept. was and is so big that there would be officers that you would never see let alone meet in your entire career.

I probably didn't see most of them. Bronx , Queens and Staten Island officers would rarely even be in the same vicinity since each borough has its own central booking and court system. Every once in a while I would run into an academy mate who was assigned in Brooklyn , while lodging a perp in CB or going to court, hospital guarding, training quals. , or working some detail( Coney Island) but otherwise I probably never seen more than 10% of personnel.

In fact I didn't know most officers who worked different tours than me, in my own command, since they stop the rotating (thank god).
right before I was hired. My command was a special Bureau so we only had about 114 sworn in officers, but the 75 pct had around 400. Imagine how crowded that locker room must have been.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 163
Posted: 7/25/2015 1:06:58 PM

I don't know why you would be so quick to dismiss a study from Cumbria, Wales. I would think data from Wales, England, Scotland or Ireland would be closer to Canadian data, closer even than US data. I could see you dismissing the information if it came from a study in a much more male dominated country like Kenya or Yemen.

I like to think my country is unique! LOL. I think the age and gender of the respondents is more significant. It doesn't even say how many males/females were involved and how old they were. University towns and campuses aren't necessarily representative of a whole society.

I am 50 years old and you are 10 years older. Do you really think our cohort of middle aged Canadian "ladies" is rife with women who beat the crap out of their SO's? Some groups of survey participants will yield different data.

I'm sure that the vast majority of female on male violence goes unreported. JMO.

I agree. NOBODY wants to come forward and admit that they chose a SO who abuses them. It's humiliating. If men want to be taken seriously about female on male violence, they need to get past that. They must report, and insist that charges are filed.

And someone agreeing that female on male violence occurs and then adding the caveat "she must have been driven to it" is not really agreeing.

If that "someone" is me, that's not what I said. In the report, it was implied that some of the female violence was retaliatory, but it didn't give any percentages. Sometimes the reason a woman attacks a man IS because she has been repeatedly abused and bullied over time. I did not say these situations were the majority. My point is there is no way of knowing.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 164
Posted: 7/25/2015 1:41:00 PM

I appreciate that you are a feminist and the sort of feminist who doesn't buy into the fascist end of the spectrum, but sometimes I really wonder how it is possible to present a POV that differs from the feminist narrative of how the world works that could possibly be understood and acknowledged by feminists.

If I could answer that, I would be able to tell you why the very word "Feminism" sends certain men into a tizzy.

I'll tell you who I DO listen to. My sons. A while back there was a thread about sexual harassment in the work place which prompted me to ask my middle son (25) if he thought men were often exposed to sexual harassment in the work place. At first he said no and seemed to think the question was funny. A little while later, he came back in the room and said "You know, I can think of a few times, now that you mention it." He said that bouncers have to deal with a lot of crap from women. He observed that if woman was not allowed in, or asked to leave, she could be physically aggressive with the doormen, including slapping and throwing drinks at them, probably on the assumption that he wouldn't retaliate against a woman. He also told me that there was a place where the male bartenders and wait staff used to wear kilts, but they had to stop it because the women were prone to groping. He didn't know if there were any charges filed. I remember the days when I was a server and my butt got groped, or I got rudely propositioned. I could see men being vulnerable in those situations.

I feel for my sons and all the sons out there who are coming into their own in North America. I really do.

Could you be more specific?
 ohenryx
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2015 2:04:26 PM
I grew up in a small town, the police treated you with respect (unless you were in trouble, underage drinking, etc). Then I moved to Houston, and realized that to the HPD we were all scumbags. Not a matter of guilty until proven innocent, everyone is guilty, the worst case of “us against them” that you could ever possibly imagine.

I lived way out, like 30 mile commute, in a small town from 1999 to 2009. It was really nice to be treated with respect, even when I got a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. I talked with the officer writing my ticket about the house I was living in, who originally built it, and why the living room was so outsized.

Back in Houston now, living in the ghetto, it is worse than ever. I pulled into my driveway one afternoon after work. 5:45 p.m., broad daylight, hot summer afternoon. Black man who lives down the street was walking by, stopped to get $5 from me. (He climbs down into the ditches in front of my house and runs the weedeater for me. My knees don’t like climbing down into the ditches.) Just as I’m handing him the $5 bill, a police car turns the corner and sees us. Oh, shit!

The police pull up, demand id, frisk both of us. I tell them I live here, this house, I’m standing in my own driveway. Same address on the drivers license. Doesn’t matter. They run a check for outstanding warrants on both of us, treat us like subhuman dirt. Houston’s finest. And people wonder why everyone hates big city cops. Live in Houston for a while, you will understand.

Oh, yeah, shortly after I moved in here I was burglarized. My next door neighbor saw who did it. Positive ID, we knew the name and where he lived. I called HPD, they took a report over the phone, said someone would get back to me. 4 years and counting, no one has gotten back to me.

No disrespect intended to anyone here. Just the facts, ma’am.

ON EDIT:
And here’s a source for anyone who disbelieves what I said about them never following up on the burglary that I reported.

http://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/news/despite-unsolved-cases-houstonians-still-asked-to-file-police-reports/

Houston's police chief is responding to last week's report that thousands of low-level crimes in Houston aren't being investigated. A consulting firm's report says HPD didn't do follow-up investigations on close to 20,000 crimes in 2013.
The majority of those crimes were thefts and burglaries.

CrookCatcher
Msg: 166
Posted: 7/25/2015 2:28:20 PM

For example: I once saw a show where the detective told a cop what to do. NYPD was the dept, like usual. Detectives are the same seniority as PO. If one TOLD me what to do , I would tell him where to put his rookie a$$.

Lol, that's so true. When we tested for detective you were promoted to the rank of sgt to avoid that problem hopefully. There tends to be a lot of animosity from officers that took the exam and didn't make it so some times not only did you have the crime scene to manage but you had to deal with your own people and their ego's. Several times I had to tell a po and one time a shift commander just to get the f'k off my crime scene if he wasn't going to help. Tough enough without fighting amongst ourselves.

T.V. shows are entertainment. Jeez they have more gunfights in 60 minutes than we had well...ever.

I'm not crazy about the csi series but only because those guys don't arrest people and they don't carry weapons and most assuredly don't drive Hummers in real life. They had more high tech stuff in the trunk than our state crime lab has.

Cops is decent as far as show that depicts actual foot chases and short vehicle pursuits. The interview part is quite a bit overdone.

I will admit I watch Criminal Minds as I like the profiling part, and will confess I have a tv crush on J.J.

I used to really like Hill Street Blues.....

Hey!....hey!.....let's be careful out there! :)

Edit to add....took a report over the phone? Damn
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 167
Posted: 7/25/2015 2:39:51 PM

I grew up in a small town, the police treated you with respect (unless you were in trouble, underage drinking, etc).

I grew up in a tiny town. The cops there treated everyone well, even us underage drinkers. They knew where we went to go drinking and would show up shortly before their shift ended. Everyone would tuck their beers behind their legs for 10 minutes and we'd all talk. Then the shift would be over, the cop would loosen his tie and ask for a beer.

They just wanted to make sure nobody was driving drunk and if anyone was there with their car or truck and shouldn't be driving, they'd get a ride home.

I remember running a stop sign in front of one of the cops. I knew I was going to get a ticket, so drove at about 30 km an hour home (they knew where everyone lived). He timed it so he came around the corner with lights going just as I was nearly at my driveway. He just wanted to make sure I couldn't hide the ticket.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 168
Posted: 7/25/2015 2:44:12 PM

The only acceptable reason for anyone to assault their SO is self defense.

The only Justifiable reason for anyone, outside the Military, to Assault another Person is Defense of themselves or another Person..... Even then, only as long as that Person remains a Threat......

Most of what You see in the Movies isn't Real Life...... A simple situation.....

Someone breaks into My Home & shoots at Me, I have nowhere to retreat from the Attacker......
I return fire & hit the Person & they go down..... If they still keep trying to injure/kill Me, I'm Justified in continuing to shoot at them... But once threat that Justified My use of Deadly Force stops, then the Justification of Deadly Force ends, too...

I can only use Deadly Force as long as the Threat to Life or Grave Bodily Injury remains..... I can't use a coup de grâce, once the threat stops......

ETA: #169

Edit to add....took a report over the phone? Damn

That's what they do here for Minor T/A's & break-ins.......

I used to really like Hill Street Blues.....

Hey!....hey!.....let's be careful out there! :)

Some of My LEO Friends said that Barney Miller was more accurate than most Cop shows....
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2015 2:57:10 PM

The police pull up, demand id, frisk both of us. I tell them I live here, this house, I’m standing in my own driveway. Same address on the drivers license. Doesn’t matter. They run a check for outstanding warrants on both of us, treat us like subhuman dirt. Houston’s finest. And people wonder why everyone hates big city cops. Live in Houston for a while, you will understand.

Your point? Cops in many jurisdictions have to do warrant checks on EVERYONE they stop. If you don't like it move! or vote for politicians that don't make those procedures!

Voters are ultimately responsible for the conduct of the police because they vote in the politicians and city council that make the laws, procedures, and training curriculum, so I wouldn't blame cops for doing standard procedures, certainly post 9/11.

In any case it seems like the cops were worried that something was going on shady, or that you were being robbed. From a distance it might look that way to any rational person when perhaps they are on the look out for a black person who is robbing white older men in the ghetto! That's how police work works!

They probably became scumbags in your opinion because they had to use authority to get you to comply since you kept NOT following legal orders (ex. name, address, give id, etc). I am going to take THEIR side based on how YOU explained the story. I bet CC will agree with me here.

Hint: next time give the c@ckblocker more resistance than you did those cops! Resisting police is a situation where you are ALWAYS going to lose. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I give my friends, family and significant others the same advice!

As for the change, how can you compare a small town with a crime infested metropolis? In small towns the cops usually know a significant % of the residents and are locals themselves being supported directly from the property taxes. Large city cops in addition to being stressed out and in constant danger , are not usually familiar with the residents.

In fact most big city cops move to, or come from suburbs usually, and aren't that much invested in YOUR city personally, sad to say. It is a problem, indeed. I had partners from Long Island who thought a vast amount of city residents were scum and could care less about the crime in the neighborhoods. But it doesn't help when the residents despise them, someone has to give in 1st or the disconnect will only get worst. The more you dislike them, the more they will pack up and move to suburbs to GET AWAY from you , and since their kids are now going to good schools and they live in a safe community that respects them, they will show YOU less respect.

It is a chicken vs egg scenario!

My next door neighbor saw who did it. Positive ID, we knew the name and where he lived. I called HPD, they took a report over the phone, said someone would get back to me. 4 years and counting, no one has gotten back to me.

Can't say WHAT exactly happened, but that would be a case for the detective bureau in most cities. I should let you know that in many of these cases where the person is known the witnesses refuse to cooperate. Perhaps your neighbor decided he didn't want another neighbor ANGRY at him? just saying ;P

Hint: cops usually get OT on arrests, so if it was REALLY an arrest situation, MOST cops would jump at the chance.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 170
Posted: 7/25/2015 3:25:19 PM

They probably became scumbags in your opinion because they had to use authority to get you to comply since you kept NOT following legal orders (ex. name, address, give id, etc). I am going to take THEIR side based on how YOU explained the story. I bet CC will agree with me here.

Joey, It depends on the Local Laws, & this is a place where online, some LEO's make a mistake in their answers....

In My State you're only required to provide ID, if you're operating a Motor Vehicle or Under Arrest...... If I travel to Nevada, that all changes......

Hint: cops usually get OT on arrests, so if it was REALLY an arrest situation, MOST cops would jump at the chance.

If they want the OT, sometimes, some will look the other way, because they don't want the OT & it's a minor offense....
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 171
Posted: 7/25/2015 3:28:51 PM

Some of My LEO Friends said that Barney Miller was more accurate than most Cop shows....

Lol....I forgot about that show! I figured I must of started out like Wojohowitz went through the Barney Miller stage and ended up like Fish. Lmao

Ohenry, Joey's right about the stop. If I turned the corner and saw that I probably would have thought it was a dope deal and checked you out. How the interaction goes is determined in the first 30 seconds. It's not the worst ordeal you can go through I'm sure....embarassing maybe. But what if it was a dope deal and the guy who lives across the street is watching and the cop rides by? "Those damn cops won't do anything" mentality gets more deeply rooted.

I've alway's said if what the police do irritates so much, vote different people in. They're the ones making the rules.

Edit to add

In My State you're only required to provide ID, if you're operating a Motor Vehicle or Under Arrest...... If I travel to Nevada, that all changes......

That may be true. But I believe your still required to identify yourself with name, d.o.b. and social when asked for identification regardless of where you live in the US correct?

newoldgirl
Msg: 172
Posted: 7/25/2015 3:42:55 PM
I have never had any issues with my interactions with the police. They have all been professional and polite.

I think CC is correct that in some situations cops are damned if they do and damned if they don't take action.

I think I would rather have them err on the side of checking out something that could be nothing.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 173
Posted: 7/25/2015 3:44:19 PM
The thing is though, there are bad cops.

Anytime you give people power, some of them will abuse it. Parents abuse power. Teachers, bosses, priests, politicians, forum moderators, etc. So some cops will abuse their power. I don't like the reflexive way all cops defend the bad ones. I've known lots and lots of great cops. But they all defend the actions of terrible cops.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 174
Posted: 7/25/2015 3:50:08 PM

But they all defend the actions of terrible cops.

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion......but no, they all don't.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 175
Posted: 7/25/2015 4:02:13 PM

I don't like the reflexive way all cops defend the bad ones. I've known lots and lots of great cops. But they all defend the actions of terrible cops.

Professionals and/or union members will generally not speak out publicly against each other. That's not their job.

They may very well be going through the appropriate channels to report a co-worker behind the scenes.

As a member of the public, YOU have the right to make a complaint. You'd actually have to have legitimate , specific information, though. You can't report gossip.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > It looks like POF has already made some changes.