Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men happier married vs Women happier single - according to research      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 126
Men happier married vs Women happier single - according to researchPage 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

Hell yeah!

Since my separation, my ex-husband has been lonely, depressed, and well...really desperate for a woman. I on the other hand am like an animated happy gif. No one to complain when I want to exercise instead of watching TV with him! No one to complain when I am too tired for sex after having worked, picked up the kids, made dinner, cleaned up after dinner, put the kids to bed, made everyone's lunches (including husband's)!

Also, no one to leave their shavings all over the sink. It's black hair I mean how can you not see it all over the place? No one snoring all damn night and then complaining when I have to leave the bedroom because I CAN'T SLEEP.

HELL YEAH

YES! I could have written this, almost every point applies to my marriage of 20 years. For me, I could add no more washing and folding his dirty clothes all weekend while being stuck home alone with the kids while he was out having fun without me and spending money we didn't have. As soon as I told him that I was done, the first thing he did was.....get a new woman. We were still living in the same house and he moved into the guest room and talked to the "new woman" (well, his affair partner from the past) every night, told her he loved her, had pics of her plastered in plain sight, etc. He could not stand to not have a woman in his life. He even told me that his first priority was to find someone who could be "the woman in his life". Spending time with our kids? Not so important. He is bitter and still single now, because shockingly things didn't work out with his affair chick/rebound relationship. I do hope he finds happiness, I wanted us to separate amicably, but that didn't happen.

Personally, I do have moments where I wish I had that very special someone with whom I really connect and can bond with, but in the meantime, I enjoy the heck out of doing what I want (for the most part, I do have kids living with me), meeting lots of men, going out with friends, etc. When I had someone live with me for two weeks this summer, I was almost a bit relieved when he left, even though I was crazy about him at that time. I just really like having my alone time, not talking to anybody, not having to look good for anybody, etc. A part-time relationship would be my ideal situation.
 Olivoil
Msg: 127
Men happier married vs Women happier single - according to research
Posted: 10/3/2015 12:09:02 PM
Karma, I agree with everything you said.
I was attached from the time I was 15, to one of three men. The past 4 years have been mine.
I didn't even realize how much of my life had been compromise until just recently.

I have a really cute small dog that barks when I'm working. So a couple of friends and I have worked out a dog share situation. So I now have a part time dog, and the dog wins because her life is more exciting than mine!

Thought for a minute if a man-share would work, but no, ... I'm not that free spirited.
I truly will never do the in my face, oh sh*t he's home relationship again. :)
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 128
Posted: 10/3/2015 12:41:11 PM

A part-time relationship would be my ideal situation.

+1

Amended to...

An affordable, part-time relationship would be my ideal situation.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 129
Posted: 10/3/2015 2:59:27 PM

Associate Professor Roger Wilkins, said there were a number of factors that impacted on happiness.

being unemployed is extremely bad for your happiness," he said.

Groundbreaking revelation there, professor.

The real question is, "Can you make a radio out of 2 coconuts?"

In related news, men who receive replies to their messages on online dating sites are happier than men who receive no messages at all.

According to research.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 130
Posted: 10/3/2015 3:27:18 PM
Part time relationship sound like the best thing ever... Where do you find a woman like that.. I got no idea why would someone think a single man is not a happy man.. I'm sure some men and some women have a need to be in a relationship. But not all and reading this thread it sure seems that many people would prefer to be single. Which explains why they are.

The older I get the less I want to deal with a woman. I want to spend more time doing my own things.
Could it be why women find it harder to find good men later in life.. As I'm sure I'm not the only guy who feels like that.
Funny thing I noticed some woman are laughing at the ex husband being single still... Hello you are on here single as well. For all you know he is out dating having sex with other women. Just like you are having sex with other men, who I'm sure are being thought of as sorry losers by the women they were married to or dated with.. Here they are dating with you...
 IL_Capitano
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2015 4:04:38 PM

The older I get the less I want to deal with a woman. I want to spend more time doing my own things.
Could it be why women find it harder to find good men later in life.. As I'm sure I'm not the only guy who feels like that.
Funny thing I noticed some woman are laughing at the ex husband being single still... Hello you are on here single as well.

I'm with you.

I can do what I want when I want without having to explain why I'm doing or not doing something, spending my money on whatever I want without explaining or justifying, not having some woman volunteer me for activities I don't want to participate in, eating what I want when I choose the time to eat it, doing chores on my time rather than her time, not having to paint the house every six months....

..... and, most of all, not being judged by some woman who thinks her way is the only way just because she's female and I'm not.

LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2015 6:19:15 PM
as this theory has been around a long time there may be some validity in it. I notice that some women that live to a very ripe old age are often spinsters. I saw twin sisters interviewed once who were over one hundred and had never married.
Men typically don't do as well on their own as women may who often flourish when they are widowed or divorced.
Of course all these surveys and research have to be viewed skeptically as statistics can be skewed. Just because one is not married does not mean there are no significant relationships going on. Do they take into account homosexuals in all this and do they all admit they are gay???

Now that there is no so much pressure for women to be married by society and to even have babies, they may be happier being single in some cases and prefer to pursue a career.

I would prefer a part time relationship where he goes home after a week end together or whatever. No way doing his laundry or cooking meals if I don't feel like it. A domestic goddess but not a domestic slave. Men often need their mother figure or nurturer in a relationship with women, whereas women can do that for themselves.

IL_Capitano
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2015 7:28:45 PM

Men often need their mother figure or nurturer in a relationship with women, whereas women can do that for themselves.

What a load of shit.

purplerider1200
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2015 7:44:29 PM
Include me also.

Funny thing I noticed some woman are laughing at the ex husband being single still...

Good thing I wasn't within earshot of that comment. I could ( and would) have a group of women that would be exceptionally p*ssed with me. The barrage of comments made would get me thrown out of wherever I was at the time. (And it would be WELL worth it)

Since I think little of research, I choose to not believe it. They aren't looking into sleepless nights when a partner is kept awake by snoring. Men working longer hours so that they can provide for their mates. Getting nagged at for not doing something.

The line "you'll find someone" has gotten old. One can put up with rejection for only so long. I don't like being turned down. I reached a point that I decided it was a waste of time. When the pain is worse than the gain, it's time to do other things.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 135
Posted: 10/3/2015 9:17:26 PM
Guys do not misunderstand me. I love to have a woman to be with and do things with.
But I don't want to have to jump thru hoops make sure she is happy no matter what, Having to sacrifice things I love to do just to keep HER happy. I find that the older women (around my age) are more set in there way. They know what they want and they want you to know that what they want is the only right thing.
Then having to walk on eggs when she is having PMS.
Hearing some woman talk I do believe that women have same complaints . Maybe that's why everyone is looking for younger lol.

There are benefits for being single and being in a relationship. But we all must admit that being single is easier and simple.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 136
Posted: 10/3/2015 9:43:19 PM

But I don't want to have to jump thru hoops make sure she is happy no matter what, Having to sacrifice things I love to do just to keep HER happy.

A-freaking-men to that!

being unemployed is extremely bad for your happiness," he said.

Groundbreaking revelation there, professor.

In my case, being unemployed (on disability) has greatly reduced the stress in my life, so I guess you could say I am happier.

The very last (and final) time I saw my ex, she started pulling her usual BS and then tried to rub in her success (honestly, she looked like Vanna White holding her arms up to "show off" her home, cars, and boyfriend). I stood there thinking to myself "huh, I have the same things in my life (except, of course, a boyfriend - yuck!)" so her effort was futile.

My neighbor lady that I wrote about in another thread is of the same opinion as I am; neither of us wants the BS associated with a significant other. We are doing just fine on our own.
 sexandthepof
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2015 11:14:15 AM
In my opinion, I don’t think “men are happier married” and “women are happier single” in general.

People don’t have to be a rocket scientist or to have a PhD degree to figure out both genders would be happier to be married to the right person, and they would be better/happier to be single if they were married to an evil and living in hell.

Most of the times men and women cannot get along because they have different thinking, and/or they put their egos above others. They don’t try to understand others, or don’t want to compromise. Everything is me, me, me. That’s the problem.

Many of you might have known, or not, but I find this link is quite interesting and want to share:

http://www.tickld.com/x/why-men-and-women-think-differently
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 139
Posted: 10/4/2015 3:03:20 PM

Funny thing I noticed some woman are laughing at the ex husband being single still...

Nobody said that. Nobody is laughing. In fact, one woman said:

I do hope he finds happiness, I wanted us to separate amicably, but that didn't happen.

With the selective comprehension angry men have on here, I’m sure he read that as, “HA HA!!!! He’s still single!”

Try reading what is actually there before freaking out about what you IMAGINE is there.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 140
Posted: 10/4/2015 8:15:48 PM
Wow Miss Sunshine. As I'm sure your comments are meant to me. So I would answer, First off not all woman are happy to point out that the ex is having problems. I do agree with you that one woman said she is wish the ex would be happy. I would even go an extra step and say there were other women who said it. Also some were happy to point how miserable the man is. So that's why it said SOME women, Not even that MOST women.. so lets talk about Comprehension, Yours..
You seem to look for a particular point to prove. Maybe that men hate women or how angry men are, What every other reason that only you know.

Might be the lack of comprehension on your part be the anger that you have toward men?? Well just asking as I don't want to freak you out or anything....
You also have to realize that just cause someone is not agreeing with you don't make them angry. Just stating there opinion which might not agree with yours. No reason to project your feeling of anger onto others. You do seem to call men angry and saying they are having issues in more then a few of your posts.
I'm far from being angry in fact I'm actually very happy. I bet I'm happier then you ever be and I don't need to fake it. So please don't just jump my bone. As you try to prove that all men are angry, hate women.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 141
Posted: 10/4/2015 9:03:14 PM
I'm telling ya, sober & celibate does make some act real narsty!
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 142
Posted: 10/4/2015 9:12:08 PM

So please don't just jump my bone.

Did he really just say that??
 474bluemoon
Msg: 143
Posted: 10/4/2015 9:26:53 PM
Clooney, is that sober and celibate by choice or because someone won't buy you booze and bone you?? Well, not you per se, just the cranky women taking things out of context like LA dude referenced in his great little post.

Yes Whatsamatterbaby , I said "bone". I had wine earlier and said "wood" too. It's very freeing to slide a dirty little word in here and there.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 144
Posted: 10/4/2015 9:37:32 PM
I assure you I always provide the wine and she enjoys the boning.

So it's a win/win :)

I think many cranky posters would benefit from a bottle of wine and some canoodling:)
 NikonGuy007
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2015 11:51:51 AM
Yeah, I tend to believe that, in the over 35 crowd, "More often than not, men are happier when they're married, and women are happier when they're single."

In general, (among the +35 crowd), I think men tend to be more needy than women.
 hemingway234
Msg: 146
Posted: 10/16/2015 8:50:48 AM
The problem with most of the relationship research and surveys out there is, they are asking people questions. Sometimes people will give you the wrong answer, while the true answer lies in their actions. They are not doing double-blind, scientific testing. This is why counselors, even though they know 1,000 times what the layperson knows about relationships, can still be wrong on some of the major issues regarding relationships.

Don't believe it unless you see it with your own eyes. You are your own best relationship expert.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 147
Posted: 10/16/2015 9:08:04 AM

The problem with most of the relationship research and surveys out there is, they are asking people questions. Sometimes people will give you the wrong answer, while the true answer lies in their actions. They are not doing double-blind, scientific testing.

BUT in measuring longevity you don't have to rely on self report or worry about obsevational bias or any such thing. Married men live longer than single men, and single women live longer than married women. On the other hand, maybe there's actually a negative correlation between happiness and longevity - maybe single men and married women are dying of happiness :)
 hemingway234
Msg: 148
Posted: 10/16/2015 9:15:55 AM

BUT in measuring longevity you don't have to rely on self report or worry about observational bias or any such thing. Married men live longer than single men, and single women live longer than married women.

- It's a strong argument! I happen to believe that men and women were made for each other.

But hey, I've been wrong before - once
 Maleman999
Msg: 149
Posted: 10/16/2015 9:54:05 AM

Married men live longer than single men, and single women live longer than married women.

To me, this is total nonsense. Married men living longer: If a guy was single for his whole life and recently got married, then kicks the bucket , a check mark would go in the "Married man died" column, even though he could've been single for 90% of his life. If a guy was married for decades, then gets a divorce, and then kicks the bucket. a check mark on the chart would go in the "Single man died" column, and the same for single women who were married for the majority of their adult life. Does this "survey" (use the term loosely) include people who died of unrelated causes, such as car accident, industrial accident, victims of war and crime, disease, etc?

I think a person's longevity on Earth is mostly related to life style and genetics-not some study or survey that relates death to marital status. Where do couples that live together, but never got officially married by government standards, fit into the chart, when technically they are single, but live like a married couple?
 dinno76
Msg: 150
Posted: 10/22/2015 11:38:53 AM
Most married men I know are miserable. They always advise their single male friends not to get married and have children. They had a poll that said that 70% of men 18 to 48 are single. I think that number will just keep going up.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men happier married vs Women happier single - according to research