Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men happier married vs Women happier single - according to research      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 201
Men happier married vs Women happier single - according to researchPage 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
^ Who cares? They all have big feet :)
 perspektiv
Msg: 202
Men happier married vs Women happier single - according to research
Posted: 10/30/2016 3:24:05 PM

but married men live longer than single men

Could have a lot more to do with how gender roles are imposed onto you.

I.E Many single men, eat poorly, and live unhealthy lives. Married--they tend to follow the lead of their partner, and live far more healthy lifestyles.

I wouldn't dispute the statistics due to them being obvious. I'd dispute the basis of the claim, to begin with. That its *because* the men are single, that they're dying younger.

Personally, my mother taught me to bake and cook. I also am an introvert, so love my own personal space.

I've been told I'm happier single, than most couples most people know.

So, have a hard time buying those stats. That I'll die younger, just because I'm single.
 perspektiv
Msg: 203
Posted: 10/30/2016 3:28:23 PM

it's been said a lot of men are oblivious to problems in relationships

Men, aren't taught to be in touch with their emotions. Its a handicap for most, as a result. To express themselves emotionally, let alone understand others.

If you're emotional as a man, you're being too feminine. If you're angry or vocal about your anger as a woman, you're being too masculine. Being angry, isn't feminine.

I think a lot of guys who reject a woman complaining as "nagging", exemplify that very archaic way of thinking.

I guess having been raised by a woman around women, have given me no choice, but to understand women.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 204
Posted: 10/30/2016 3:43:35 PM
^ Darling, averages don't dictate individual scenarios; just as individual scenarios don't disprove averages. Let me give an illustration of how this is commonly misunderstood: Smoking cigarettes decreases the lifespan. But then you'll hear "But my grandpa lived to be over a hundred and he smoked two packs a day his entire life!" Well, bully for your grandpa - obviously there are other factors involved. It doesn't disprove the stats. (On the other hand, if gramps lived to be five million years old, it might skew the stats a bit.)
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 205
Posted: 10/30/2016 3:46:36 PM
I think your diagnosis is Party Pooper. I don't know the Latin for it though.
 Walts
Msg: 206
Posted: 10/30/2016 3:57:06 PM

^ Darling, averages don't dictate individual scenarios; just as individual scenarios don't disprove averages. Let me give an illustration of how this is commonly misunderstood: Smoking cigarettes decreases the lifespan. But then you'll hear "But my grandpa lived to be over a hundred and he smoked two packs a day his entire life!" Well, bully for your grandpa - obviously there are other factors involved. It doesn't disprove the stats. (On the other hand, if gramps lived to be five million years old, it might skew the stats a bit.)

Stats are numbers based on a question asked. Simplified at best. Was it being "not married" the true reason the single man lives a shorter lifespan than one that has walked the aisle? Was common law considered as "married"?

Ask a simply question and you will get a real simple "answer".

I believe that in the "future" this "answer" will be a little "different" but, I'm also gonna guess part of the reason being will be that "marriage" has/will have a different meaning. Take same sex marriages as one example that I can come up with on this lazy Sunday afternoon.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 207
Posted: 10/30/2016 3:57:39 PM
^ Or take this guy. Clearly he has a feces fetish. But I'm willing to bet that men on average tend to be less aroused when there is poo in the bed than otherwise.

*Whoops. Not that guy.

* One more thing! Nobody said being married causes men to live longer - it's a correlation. There could be a third variable causing both the longevity and the matrimony. You can infer whatever you want.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 perspektiv
Msg: 208
Posted: 10/30/2016 4:49:57 PM

Darling, averages don't dictate individual scenarios

Smoking clearly decreases lifespan. Its an obvious reasoning as to why. Its laden with carcinogenic toxins. This is not a statistic, you'd refute.

Married men, being happier, is the stat you'd refute.

I'd also refute, the why they're living longer being due to them being married. Vs, living healthier due to a woman encouraging it, or the many intangibles that would cause this to occur.

There is not enough research, other than dead married people and single, to jump to such a final conclusion.

People don't question things anymore, which is the point being made.

Statistics, just showcase death rates, and marital status. To draw conclusions based on those stats, without having verified on the entire population, is basically cherry picking "facts".
 Walts
Msg: 209
Posted: 10/30/2016 4:54:32 PM
My bad. I just looked back at the original post, and it says something about "happiness research", whatever the phuck that means. Anybody know?????? As in, as others I think have mentioned, what the hell are we defining as "happy". Is it like when your dancing nakey under a moonlit sky singing at the top of your lungs??????

Just asking.

For a friend.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 210
Posted: 10/30/2016 4:59:22 PM
^ "Happiness" is a theoretical construct. Having said that, your description sounds pretty good.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2016 6:00:33 PM
There's just to many variables to consider this accurate research.

Me, as in just me. I find that living with, or for that matter, just having a woman around me in a relationship, stressful. More than just being by myself.

Now, why would I think that? One reason is that women expect certain things when they are in a relationship to keep them happy. I admit it, my entertainment standards aren't very lofty. Why go to a music venue when the radio is within reach? Why spend $40-50 bucks on one dinner when that amount can buy food for me, for the better part of a week? Alcohol is cheaper by the bottle at the local liquor store. Why stay at a four star hotel when a tent works the same way. Tickets to, well anything, pays for my sattelite for an entire month. And if I don't like it, I change the channel. If the event is a big bust, they won't refund my money.

Yeah, I waffle. I can do that if I want to. Because it's just me.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2016 7:35:57 PM
I have noticed that a lot of swingers are those who are less than magnificent to look at and why would anyone want to get involved? I guess a very dark moonless night and plenty of booze...lol!!
 Dragracer428
Msg: 214
Posted: 10/31/2016 4:38:56 PM

Now, why would I think that? One reason is that women expect certain things when they are in a relationship to keep them happy. I admit it, my entertainment standards aren't very lofty. Why go to a music venue when the radio is within reach? Why spend $40-50 bucks on one dinner when that amount can buy food for me, for the better part of a week? Alcohol is cheaper by the bottle at the local liquor store. Why stay at a four star hotel when a tent works the same way. Tickets to, well anything, pays for my sattelite for an entire month. And if I don't like it, I change the channel. If the event is a big bust, they won't refund my money.

See a lot of this kind of thinking and the men all wonder why their SO's are not happy or why they are alone.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2016 6:05:38 PM
I have only seen Australian shows and a couple from the US. I am sure that a lot of hot people swing and that would make more sense.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2016 7:20:00 PM

See a lot of this kind of thinking and the men all wonder why their SO's are not happy or why they are alone.

But if I'm unhappy, should I just do it quietly?
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 217
Posted: 10/31/2016 7:26:46 PM
^ Nooo, Dude. But if you want a lady friend, you might want to consider compromise.

Personally, I wouldn't compromise on anything, but I'm different - I know the right way of everything :)
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 218
Posted: 10/31/2016 7:34:04 PM
I thought I recognized you. I'm pretty sure we were married.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 219
Posted: 10/31/2016 7:49:29 PM
^ You expect me to keep track of every person I've ever been married to?
 GhettoFoot
Msg: 220
Posted: 10/31/2016 7:57:36 PM

I have noticed that a lot of swingers are those who are less than magnificent to look at and why would anyone want to get involved? I guess a very dark moonless night and plenty of booze...lol!!

Agreed. When I was in the BDSM/polyamory scenes most of those folks were not very attractive in the face or body. It wasn't a matter of drinking or lack of lighting that made the people want to get it on, it was more of, "this is what we have to choose from (a very small pool) so make the best of it."
 Dragracer428
Msg: 221
Posted: 11/1/2016 2:28:02 PM

But if I'm unhappy, should I just do it quietly?

Not at all, your way of doing things certainly seems to be working for you going by your posts.

I on the other hand have to put up with a tall slim attractive (well I certainly think so ) lady who insists upon paying her own way and thinks going out every couple of weekends is the way life should be lived. I somehow managed to get thru having a great meal and watching some thought provoking theater Sat night with her wonderful company.
 inlawsnoutlaws
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2016 1:13:48 PM
Men satisfied. Women unsatisfied. Usual. Ancient Wisdom. "Research"
 blasta85
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2016 10:06:13 AM
Yes I'd like to see his as well
 moonbeamlover1
Msg: 225
Posted: 11/22/2016 1:45:09 PM
I think a lot of people that may agree with the statement as women ( which I know a lot) were nurturing caretaker wives who expended a lot of time energy compassion on their husbands and they either because of personality, different love style of just being selfish , took these as his dues and was catered to without returning the favor and caring for her feelings... asking about her day... doing little things that mattered to her ( or if he did zzz it was things he thought was important but did not know her enough to know those were not things that connected with her).

they were burned out and had given and care took for decades and felt like the man was doing a favor letting her... not understanding it was a choice she made because she cared about him.

after all those years of nurturing and care taking without much if any reciprocation in many instances... and with her needs always being dead last because if husband and children.. many of them want the peace tranquility and freedom of actually being able to do what they want... see who they want and actually do things they care about and that get them excited. there are many great husbands out there don't get me wrong. and there are some non nurturing wives. but I know many who would agree with the sentiment of the probably bogus research. they want nothing whatsoever to do with marriage ever again and many not even live in. they cherish their freedom and relish it.

for those who think we nurturers need to be needed and are incomplete without having someone specific to spoil?

there is something to be said on finally giving to ourselves... after a lifetime of giving to others.

if someone great comes along that wants partnership and give and take and mutual spoiling? cool it could be worth exploring. I am a caretaker but am no longer interested in one direction nurturing. it has to be two way.. both people should care spoil appreciate and do special things for each other..

but many of us are done with the takers... our freedom is absolutely wonderful and it is only worth giving up for a very special kind of person and a very good kind of connection. ( for BOTH parties ... it has to be special for both people . not one at the expense of the other). .. every single woman I know is happy. as she is. a special connection with a special man can be a great thing but finally having the chance to connect to oneself after a lifetime of focusing solely on others can be special too. and the person she discovers she is when she is fulfilled in herself makes a better partner if lightning strikes and she finds someone who fits well and they mutually respect value and care about each other. but if someone just is looking for someone to caretake and service them? there are a whole whole lot of women who have been there done that and would not look at the guy twice.

I am sure some men probably feel the same for different reasons but many express the loneliness the missing of a woman's touch and the softer things that he took for granted while married.

i know many care taking guys in the same boat from their marriages who want to focus on themselves.. I think caretakers of either gender who felt like they were in an emotional black hole marriage who gave but didn't receive back are going to cling to freedom unless they find someone who lets them be themselves... gives and takes.. cares about their wants and needs as they care about the other persons.. values respects and is crazy about them as they are their partner. that is the only thing worth giving up singledom for.. . whether you are a man or a woman.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men happier married vs Women happier single - according to research