Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Love or Hate these profile specifics...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hearton64
Msg: 26
Love or Hate these profile specifics...Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

"I'm not looking for a hookup"...but their pictures say otherwise.
Pictures can speak louder than words.

Women are just plain sexier than men.
It's hard to conceal that without a turtleneck!
Just because a woman comes across as sexual
doesn't mean all she wants is to "hook up".

Showing "Skin" is meant as a lure but not
necessarily a guarenteed lay!

I'm sure if it was allowed most men
would only post c ock shots! Haha!

I could appreciate that. : )
 Ouija2025
Msg: 27
Love or Hate these profile specifics...
Posted: 7/24/2015 5:42:40 AM
Hearton - you are in Luck as I just deleted a picture I had received when they still come send them. A man over 70, looking like a cross between Santa and a garden gnome. I blinked and blinked. Stark naked. I saved it for 2 years! LOL.
He did however write a nice message :/
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:13:11 AM

Women are just plain sexier than men.
It's hard to conceal that without a turtleneck!
Just because a woman comes across as sexual
doesn't mean all she wants is to "hook up".

I saw a profile not long ago of a woman who had

No players!!!
No ONS!!
No hookups!!
No FWB!!!

Her main pic was a bathroom selfie, a quartering away shot looking over her shoulder, wearing a thong or maybe bikini bottom and a wet tshirt cut off just below her "ya knows".

So having presence of mind I messaged her to suggest that maybe she would'nt have that much of a problem with those types if she chose a different type of pic.

You would have thought I suggested she shop for lingerie at goodwill or something.....holy cripes.

You can't set the birthday cake on the picnic table in July and not expect to draw some flies. ;)
 rwable032
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:23:07 AM

Don't like women in residential real estate or stewardess.

LOL. Yeah, you hit my pet peeve. I'm done with real estate people too, for dating or just as associates.
My personal conclusion from long term exposure: Their primary reference in life seems to the next deal, to the exclusion of just about everything and everyone else. I've seen it far too often to be a casual coincidence.

"like exercise and the outdoors" but when I visit their town, every trail I point out is news to them and when we go to the coolest local outdoor store, it's their first time inside. But they've lived there over 15 years. And their bicycle is a rusted over POS with flat tires that hasn't seen daylight in ages.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:25:14 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we all have such absolutes. I have plenty...
Little disclaimer here. I am in an awesome relationship, so I don't look at women or are interested in anyone.

Yeah, the people who are already in a relationship (or have side action already lined up) can 'afford' to be picky because they are not actually dealing with competition or being alone at the present time. I've noticed how their lists or requirements are always longer, and usually avoid bad elements that their CURRENT squeeze may have.

I've overheard this at restaurants a thousand times over - the girlfriends with a relationship shoots down a lot of prospects and tells the single person you should be looking for "better" - somebody like, well, like "My" squeeze. Guys do it, too. Just because your match is working for you doesn't mean it will EVER work for the other person - but we are colored by our experience - and assume what's good for 'this' goose or gander is good for everyone else as well. That's why I loathe dating by 'committee'. Too many 'besties' making the decisions when they really have no business doing so.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:59:40 AM

Yeah, the people who are already in a relationship (or have side action already lined up) can 'afford' to be picky because they are not actually dealing with competition or being alone at the present time. I've noticed how their lists or requirements are always longer, and usually avoid bad elements that their CURRENT squeeze may have.

Sweed D, this is so wrong in so many ways. My list of requirements reflect a time when I was like you: single. When I was single I also did not have a problem being alone. So being picky had nothing to do with whether I could get someone or not. Right now I am in a relationship and I have no need, nor do I want to align some SIDE action. The only side action that I need right now MORE is to put more miles on my bike.

Also, when I was single I did not care about the competition. If I had to compete for a woman, she could have the other guy because I was not interested. Also Online dating worked wonders for me. So I could find another date in less than a week.

Also, once you're in a relationship, not because it was the only breathing thing that would pay attention to you, but because it's the most awesome person that you have met, you owe it to the relationship to have a commitment to it, instead of looking at greener pastures, or what you may think may be better. And part of that commitment is that those things that you do not like, or were less than stellar, which everyone has, are worked on, by either accepting your partner with that flaw, or by finding a happy medium where they also understand one of your flaws. And what makes a relationship awesome it's the sum of their imperfections that makes them unique.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/24/2015 7:23:07 AM

you owe it to the relationship to have a commitment to it

I'm not questioning being loyal once a relationship is established. If you look through my posting history you'll see you are preaching to the choir on that one. What I want to test is "the List".

If you had a long list of dealbreakers and stuck to it throughout your single life, (even though I seriously doubt it) kudos to you for being a very rare bird. For guys that are not in that top 15% of what every woman wants, the 'attention' scale drops to near zero very, VERY quickly. Quantity has a LOT to do with those lists as well as personal choices. For the average to below average dude, being 'picky' means reducing the audience of interested potentials from a dozen to maybe one or two, not from 1200 to 60.

When it comes to single people counting on computer search engines to check off those lists, the computer does so indiscriminately. Imperfections are NOT taken into account. The computer doesn't distinguish levels of "Maybe". How many of those 'dealbreakers' could be tolerated if you were NOT using the internet?
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/24/2015 7:35:33 AM
A lot of the trite crap I see in profiles makes me wonder just how much imagination people have, but it's never really been anything that has prevented me from getting to know or meeting someone.

Call me shallow, but liking her pictures is the biggest issue for me initially, because words in a profile can't really tell you much of what a face to face experience might be like. People can surprise you positively or negatively.

However, one of the most bizarre profiles I've ever seen was from a woman who was terminally ill, and referred to men who might not be able to handle it as "wimps". Naturally, anyone with an inkling of compassion is going to feel bad for her, but come on, that's not really fair.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/24/2015 7:44:23 AM

When it comes to single people counting on computer search engines to check off those lists, the computer does so indiscriminately. Imperfections are NOT taken into account.

imperfections are a given, don't you think? but the single people counting on computer search engines to exclude certain things are letting the computer do their work for them, because they've already decided they definitely do not want ____. see? it's not something they're on the fence about. that's why 'maybe' is irrelevant.

How many of those 'dealbreakers' could be tolerated if you were NOT using the internet?

none of them. why would it be any different IRL?

is this a question of how far any person might be willing to compromise or "settle" based on other factors? as if he were rich enough and made me laugh, I'd find a way to get over the fact that he smokes cigars, has a big old pot belly and is a nascar aficionado? that kind of exception isn't going to happen online, and it's highly unlikely in real life also, so I see no reason to stop filtering out stinking race fans with giant beer guts just so I can be really, *really* sure they aren't like TOTALLY amazing IRL if I just gave them a chance.

as if everyone should leave no stone unturned to find someone who thrills them to death despite their utterly insufferable flaws. i said no bubbas, but I might have missed some otherwise mighty stellar qualities. looks like just shot myself in the foot with that list of dealbreakers. uh oh.

naw, that's not how it works. I don't think you're being realistic.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/24/2015 7:50:38 AM

If you had a long list of dealbreakers and stuck to it throughout your single life, (even though I seriously doubt it) kudos to you for being a very rare bird.

I don't think it's being a rare bird... but rather a shallow fvck. Meaning, even then, I did not want to waste my time by going out with someone that the moment I had a second glass of wine, she would freak out. Or that suddenly started to talk about her Jesus revival. If you are talking to attractive women and they respond, there's no reason to lower my standard. If anything, I could not stand the Barbie dolls, which are the ones with the biggest number of cliches on their profiles. If anything I crossed that line simply to see if the reasons they annoyed me were well founded or something else. And time and again they proved to be 99.9 percent the cliche and caricature that I saw on my mind.

Like pig said, a big thing is the pictures. Bad pictures, click to the next. Pictures that were bury, click. Behind the dog, click. Now, weird as hell artsy fvcked up photos, for some reason those women were usually my type.
 Maleman999
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/24/2015 10:05:28 AM

When it comes to single people counting on computer search engines to check off those lists, the computer does so indiscriminately. Imperfections are NOT taken into account.

That's why it would probably be better to go to one of the other dating sites that have commercials on TV where they claim to have perfect people who would a perfect match, and stop just short of guaranteeing that you will find Mr./Miss Total Perfection and live happily ever after in a perfect world. Oh-wait a minute. I have recently seen ads on TV for POF. I take it back.
 ezfred
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/24/2015 10:13:38 AM

I'm just wondering why the all-or-nothing attitude seems to hold so fast to every little decision we make from this online dating process, yet we all know in real life decisions are rarely made so decisively

Two contradictory things drive that ... false abundance and high expectation of negative outcome.

eg) There's lots available, so people want more/better or whatever
eg) odds of positive outcome is quite, so people want something more/better, before they will put in the effort.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/24/2015 10:29:15 AM
I have a wicked lot of imagination, but I haven't decided what I'm doing
here, so my profile is hidden and I've not filled it out.

Before I hid it I got quite a few messages though...not sure what that
was about. Either they didn't read my profile or they did and thought
what the heck.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/24/2015 10:40:44 AM

Before I hid it I got quite a few messages though.

Some guys are boob and butt men. Me?

A beautiful smile is eternal :)
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/24/2015 10:49:41 AM
Face and legs for me.

They are the kryptonite to this Superman.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/24/2015 11:15:55 AM

How many of those 'dealbreakers' could be tolerated if you were NOT using the internet?

Why would you suppose deal breakers are tolerated IRL? It may take longer to recognize *some* deal breakers IRL, because people aren’t walking around with a dating profile stapled to their heads, and it takes time to get to know someone.

Spotting deal breakers on a profile, saves time.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/24/2015 11:23:46 AM

Certain demographics do better offline, IMHO.

I'm not gonna reject a hot momma with 3 kids if she bats her eyelashes at me.
 ohenryx
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2015 11:36:27 AM

innerGorilla
Like pig said, a big thing is the pictures. Bad pictures, click to the next. Pictures that were bury, click. Behind the dog, click. Now, weird as hell artsy fvcked up photos, for some reason those women were usually my type.

I recently ran across one of those. A woman’s profile, with two pictures, obviously shot in a row, with her looking away, and then looking at the camera obliquely. A filter of some kind had been used, and the angle was rather unusual. Overall, the effect was quite … striking.

She was too young for me (39?), but this was over on the other free siting date, so I could write to her and ask about the pictures. She replied, saying she had taken the pictures herself, with a timer. We wrote several messages back and forth, talking about photography, and filters, and ….

Suddenly, out of the blue, she asks, “When your girl is good to you, do you reward her?”

Big sigh. That other site has become completely overrun with spam bots, phishing attacks, cam girls, sugar babies, …. Say what you will about POF, they do a good job about kicking out that sort.

InnerGorilla

These days, stewardesses (PC term: flight attendant) are not hot. Back when I was a young man, they were the hottest of the hotties.

In the present day, in my age bracket (50’s and 60’s), real estate contains some of the hottest women around. Of course, I don’t know whether they would actually be a good date, because I’ve never managed to go out with one. A close second are nurses, and I’ve dated a number of them. Not sure why they tend to look so good, but they do. Except, of course, for the hair. In their profession, they universally keep their hair short, and god, how I love long beautiful hair on a woman. Sigh. Can’t have everything.
 gtomustang
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/24/2015 11:38:08 AM
people complain about the worst they have received. Usually, not things they know nothing about.

how do they receive it over and over again, enough to make a point to ask not to receive it again?

typically...by choosing it over the other choices in life.

there may be exceptions, like the spinach your mom pushed on you. but a person who shows you in their profile every corner of their body...is doing so for a reason. they want you to see what they think is the best thing they offer. does it result in a self-filling prophecy?

of course. except when someone hot takes them up on their offer. then OLD is a success.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/24/2015 11:43:14 AM

Yep. Agreed.

One 'flight attendant', a dashing 70 year old that could pass for 60, invited me to her home to pick her up.

Front door was open...

I rung the door bell. A voice said..I'm upstairs Stevie...

Went upstairs into her lair. Made out. Noticed a book...The Mile High Club. Whadeva

She said her male roommate would be home soon and we should leave.

Went to dinner. Got back to her place and she said shit, he's home.

I'm thinking the male roommate was her hubby?
 sigungq
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2015 2:33:40 PM
Everyone has their "deal breakers". Usually, in the online world, where it is crawling with men, women can have their pick. As such, if the man has ever voted Republican (or democrat), has green eyes instead of blue, is less than 5'11" or more than 6'1", makes less than $100,000.00/year (no, 99,999.99 is a deal breaker), drives a BMW instead of a Mercedes, lives more than a half mile away, has dark hair instead of blonde, is more than one month older or younger, has less than a masters degree, rides a Kawasaki instead of a Harley, he won't get dates.

It's the way of things online. Get used to it.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/24/2015 2:56:50 PM
When I see a photo of a man standing with a gun next to a dead, beautiful animal with a gaping bullet hole in it's neck, I feel deeply saddened. What a cruel thing to do! I think it's horrible and cruel to kill a beautiful animal for sport, especially if the animal is threatened or protected.

The message I get is that he is cruel and kills for fun. He lacks a moral compass. I am immediately repelled by photos like that.
 Maleman999
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/24/2015 3:17:21 PM
^^^I'm not a big fan of fish, but I even feel the same way when there's a picture of someone holding a fish they caught.
 ganho2
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2015 3:41:54 PM

When I see a photo of a man standing with a gun next to a dead, beautiful animal with a gaping bullet hole in it's neck, I feel deeply saddened. What a cruel thing to do! I think it's horrible and cruel to kill a beautiful animal for sport,especially if the animal is threatened or protected.

The message I get is that he is cruel and kills for fun. He lacks a moral compass. I am immediately repelled by photos like that.

And yet there are hunters who in fact eat the meat they have shot? Just like the steak I hope to grill tonight or we can talk of the chickens that have been cooped up in cages so they can best realize returns for the farmer....

But then as a 61 yr old woman can one wonder if you used Premarin a commercial name for hormone replacement therapy in woman where they collected the urine of pregnant mares who are tied up for days on end.....so they reduce the number of PMU mares....then implement strategies to have the horses sold off in the east so they are not slaughtered in the Provinces they were harvested from...instead they are later discarded and lost a few years after they were sold from the farms....as many were not good riding prospects and there is already a large number of thoroughbreds not racing looking for homes.

And I have never hunted a day in my life. I just lack a moral compass as I understand my choices do not necessarily define what all should follow?

drives a BMW instead of a Mercedes, lives more than a half mile away, has dark hair instead of blonde, is more than one month older or younger, has less than a masters degree, rides a Kawasaki instead of a Harley, he won't get dates.

So there is my problem...I drive a soccer mom van and I am a high school drop out and do not drive a motorcycle.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/24/2015 3:44:17 PM

When I see a photo of a man standing with a gun next to a dead, beautiful animal with a gaping bullet hole in it's neck, I feel deeply saddened. What a cruel thing to do! I think it's horrible and cruel to kill a beautiful animal for sport, especially if the animal is threatened or protected.

Every person I know that Hunts, eats the Game they take.....
When I read something like this, from a Person that eats Meat, I think what a Hypocrite..... They're Okie Dokie with someone else doing their Killing for them...... Wildlife is Managed in the USA & reducing the Populations to levels their Habitat can sustain is part of that Management....
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Love or Hate these profile specifics...