Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Love or Hate these profile specifics...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 51
Love or Hate these profile specifics...Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
^^^
Behind Blue Eyes, I'm not surprised to see a photo of you shooting a gun on your profile. Your angry, defensive comment is typical of an avid gun owner.

I was talking about sport-hunting, not food-hunting. Hunting for food is understandable. Some sport hunting is done solely to acquire trophies or to see who can kill the most.

SunshineGirl__
Msg: 52
Love or Hate these profile specifics...
Posted: 7/24/2015 5:38:58 PM

And yet there are hunters who in fact eat the meat they have shot? Just like the steak I hope to grill tonight

You hunted and shot a cow?! Gonna have its head stuffed and mounted above the mantle? SMH

Edit:
Some sport hunting is done solely to acquire trophies or to see who can kill the most.

Don’t forget, it’s also a great opportunity for them to get loaded/wasted, and make loud noises and kill stuff. Not all hunters are enthusiastically “sustaining habitat maintenance.”
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2015 5:42:39 PM
Perhaps a venison steak?
 07songsungblue
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:02:08 PM
"Your angry, defensive comment is typical of an avid gun owner."

Hmmm. I don't like guns, I don't care to own one. When my husband was in the police force he kept his gun at work in a locker. The thing is, I know a ton of hunters and all of them are wonderful people. They enjoy their hunting, being outdoors, walking the tree lines finding game of some sort....the great outdoors. Some build platforms in the trees hunting for bear, some lay in the reeds waiting for ducks or geese, some slather on moose urine. Great guys. The same applies to those that fish. When they do the yearly "what's new in hunting and fishing" expo every year it's called the Sportsman Show. I went one year, we had a booth selling tickets for a charity event...just ordinary guys and gals. All of them clean and cook what they kill. And no one is out shooting animals that are protected or endangered, it's against the law. And no group, NO GROUP, is more aware or works harder on protecting wildlife than hunters.

Also, guys like Blue Eyes that served our country or your country and had to carry a gun also know how to use them and respect them. The same applies to all those that wore a uniform either in the police force or armed services deserve a little more friggin respect than "typical of an avid gun owner". No one is forcing you to own a gun or hunt. And I'm sure Blue Eyes will have a word or two to say.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:07:10 PM

Behind Blue Eyes, I'm not surprised to see a photo of you shooting a gun on your profile. Your angry, defensive comment is typical of an avid gun owner.

I was talking about sport-hunting, not food-hunting. Hunting for food is understandable. Some sport hunting is done solely to acquire trophies or to see who can kill the most.

I'm shooting some old timey Guns at a Cowboy Action Shooting match in those pictures..... Killed a bunch of Steel Targets that day, too....... On the other hand, I shot every weapon available to a Combat Infantry Soldier between 1973 & 1977, too...

I do have a couple of Friends that went on a Big Game Safari in Africa 20+ years ago.... The meat from any Trophy they took was used to feed some of the local Villages...... Now if You want to talk about the Ivory & Horn Poachers in Africa, that's a Crime, but it's Locals that are doing that Killing, not some Sport/Trophy Hunter....

If you had Gophers in Your Garden, would you trap & relocate them? How about Mice in Your House?

Your comments are Typical for a Hopolphobic Ultra Liberal....

^^^^^ Are there any Slob Hunters? Yes, just like there are Slob Hikers....
When I was active in Off Roading, we cleaned up after, slobs of all types...
Some of the stuff we packed out of the back Country was left there by Slob Hikers, Slob Horse People, Slob Bicyclist, & Slob Off Roaders....

ETA2: LH, it's not nice to email People, to get them to help You report other forumites You have a disagreement with.....

ETA3:vvvvvv I have a friend that lived on 1 of the few remaining small Cattle Ranches here... It's surrounded by little Ranchettes of People that wanted to Move out into the Country.... Some of the People that moved out there let their Dogs run wild, when they're not home..... Some of those dogs will band together & go after the newborn Calves.... Then they get upset when their Pet get killed, when it's attacking those newborn Calves....
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:09:38 PM
I would have trouble hunting animals. Yes I have a gun, and a few for the break down, when if it comes, but I have dedicated too much time saving them to actually kill them myself.

In fact we are going out in a few hours( GF and myself) to HUNT a sick cat and get him/her medical care from our own pockets.

I am not a liberal, farthest from it, but I use mouse traps that I can relocate them if I catch one :).. I suffer from mammalmania I guess.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:20:41 PM
I don't hunt, but I'm literally one generation removed from survival hunting. My father killed, gutted, skinned and brought home on foot his first deer when he was 12.

I know that vegetarianism is more ethical, but I like meat. I used to know a former vegetarian who decided that she wanted to eat meat again, so started raising sheep. She figured that if she was going to eat meat, she should slaughter it herself. Hunters at least take personal responsibility for some of the meat on their own tables.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2015 9:29:56 PM
Clooneys
Did you take the condoms and Chardonnay and go??? or did she name her price??? lol!!
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/24/2015 9:47:58 PM
It's going to be darn tough proving a photo of a hunted or fished animal was done for food. I could show a photo of me & my family peeling the deer hide off the animal or butchering meat off a fresh carcass, but I have a feeling that kind of 'gore' doesn't play well to city folk.

One thing about the all-or-nothing decision I've noticed... it's a 'safe' one to make. For the most part, a lot of those decisions are made in the negative, so avoiding it means you cannot get hurt BY it. I wonder if that builds a false sense of security -- or in essence turns a lot of people into "No" people (instead of 'Yes' people) because avoiding pain or difficulties seems to be more important than succeeding.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2015 11:43:14 PM
I think it's a matter of first impressions. If someone has a negative association to those things (motorcycles, smoking, hunting, etc) they are going to have a negative reaction to the person. It's not much different than first impressions in real life.

If, in real life, your first impression of someone was negative (and you had no other exposure after that) you probably aren't going to be interested.

The old saying ... you never have a second chance to make a first impression.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/25/2015 1:25:17 AM

I think it's a matter of first impressions. If someone has a negative association to those things (motorcycles, smoking, hunting, etc) they are going to have a negative reaction to the person. It's not much different than first impressions in real life.

If, in real life, your first impression of someone was negative (and you had no other exposure after that) you probably aren't going to be interested.

The old saying ... you never have a second chance to make a first impression.

If a Person rides Motorcycles, Smokes, or Shoots Guns, then wouldn't be better to know this early? To them it's not a Negative & they would rather the People who think it's a Negative, pass them by......

After a rather heated thread in the Off Topic forum about Profiles with guns in them, I added My pics from a Cowboy Action Shooting match...... If someone suffers from Hoplophobia, then they can just say no to Me.....
 Peas_
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/25/2015 5:13:55 AM
oh! I forgot to put trap shooting on my profile! I'd better go do that. No, I don't sleep with the .410 anymore. lol
 Ouija2025
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/25/2015 5:42:17 AM
I would never hunt, but the people I know who do use the meat. Given the high cost of beef ( 36% increase in 7 months) prolly more people will start ( I like to pretend the meat I rarely buy had no former Life before it was at the store.)
As for fishing as long as I don't have to go along all good.
I do agree get all the stuff you do in the open instead of springing it down the line. Yes, even if you love C & W music :/
I like rap - last at night I listen to it while I do the white chick dance moves.
 Peas_
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/25/2015 5:50:33 AM
Anyone in the state of Wisc. can now hunt with a crossbow, not just the disabled.
 HondoGal
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/25/2015 6:06:34 AM

I would have trouble hunting animals…

I am not a liberal, farthest from it, but I use mouse traps that I can relocate them if I catch one :).. I suffer from mammalmania I guess.~Adventure Joe

I hear you, Joe. If I had to kill an animal I know I’d quickly become a vegetarian. I’m afraid of butchers, lol and a neighbor who is a big game hunter and bragged about killing what he called a “killer elephant”.

Here in S.Cal we get a lot of spiders so I put out stickies. Once in the garage a little brown field mouse got stuck in one. I felt so bad for it so I called me vet, my dog had been ill with an incurable disease for quite some time, so the Vet and I were very close, and asked him if he could give me an injection in order for me to humanely euthanize the mouse. I was shocked when he told me to just whack it! I told him I could not do that so he told me to bring it in and he would humanely euthanize the mouse. When I’ve told this story to my friends they’ve said my Vet probably whacked it!

It is tough to kill an animal. When I lived on a small ranch we had deer that would come up to the kitchen window; they were so cute and innocent looking. There were hunters that would come onto the property late at night with huge flashlights with which to blind the deer in order to shoot them. During hunting season we had to keep the horses in their stalls in order that they not get shot.

I’m not a hypocrite so I get where Blue Eyes is coming from; someone has to do it…but still I’m not very keen on butchers. Remember the butcher in the movie. Gangss of NY, based on facts?
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2015 6:13:10 AM
Cock shots on a man I dont know and just in a pic????~. Not going to do it for me.

I think men are sexier than women but I am straight. However posting a shirtless pic and in tight pants for instance, is not going to get a guy any more success with responses I would not think.
Just does not work that way.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2015 10:36:42 AM

Women that say that they do not need a man to complete them and that they have everything, I think they should just buy 7 feral cats and be done with.

Well if she is BUYING feral cats than obviously she isn't very financial savvy and that should be a deal breaker right there!
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/25/2015 12:57:37 PM
I know I wouldn't ever shoot an animal (unless I found myself in a situation where my life absolutely depended on it) but I'm not about to scream "murderer!" to anyone who hunts.

I don't know this Blue Eyes cat personally, and call it a hunch, but I'm pretty sure I feel more comfortable with someone like him owning a complete arsenal of guns than the hood rat who owns just one.
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/25/2015 1:35:23 PM
Oh Boy..Put me in the category of a person that grew up with families that hunted wild animals ...out of necessity, not sport.
I grew up in a large family and my brothers and other relatives hunted deer and moose mostly.
We would raise our own chickens, a few pigs and if our old milk cow birthed a bull calf.....we had beef too.
Mom always had large gardens and we stored, canned and preserved.

Then my first husband came from a family of 11....same thing.
That's when a meat saw was acquired and someone took a meat cutting course and a room was set up in the in-laws
basement.
It didn't matter who got the game....we all showed up to help cut and wrap for each other.
I never have killed an animal myself....well, unless you include mice and gophers.
It's a way of life for many of us Canadians.

It makes me chuckle when I see some of these reality shows about trapping and hunters.
Anyways....It's not so much a part of my life now as it was.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/25/2015 2:01:05 PM

How many of those 'dealbreakers' could be tolerated if you were NOT using the internet?

none of them. why would it be any different IRL?

Agreed.

If a man has young kids, I am not interested. It doesn't matter if I come by this information on an online profile, or an in-person conversation, we will not be dating.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/25/2015 2:09:53 PM
Whistle Stop: For some reason I never even knew anyone who hunted until I moved to the interior. (Maybe the terrain at the coast isn't conducive to hunting?) As a child my ignorance of where food came from was such that I can actually remember having an epiphany that chicken came from chickens. Weird, I thought.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2015 2:26:01 PM

When I’ve told this story to my friends they’ve said my Vet probably whacked it!

You could have just used Cooking spray (or pour vegetable oil, etc )and sprayed the parts stuck.

1st put the trap in a shoe box with lid( those clear ones are good). Wear rubber gloves or better yet a patted glove/cooking pot mit) if you need to use hands to help un stick and spray!

He should be able to release himself. Now take him and the box and release somewhere but NO where near Blue -Eyes .:)

Tonight we will try to catch that sick cat again. He outsmarted us last night! Wouldn't come near the net, so tonight is the raccoon trap.

*Actually, instead of meet up groups, guys here should just do animal rescue. Almost every worker I have had, or person I know doing it is a hot athletic female( 8 females for every guy). One group that started 2 years ago is ALL female, and one of the founders (I use to help her with trapping) ran a modeling school for a while, and was even on a Lifetime reality tv show. It is becoming like gyms were in the 80's! Probably more conductive for romance than hunting! :P
 south_city
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/25/2015 2:40:30 PM

How many of those 'dealbreakers' could be tolerated if you were NOT using the internet?

Probably some of them. A woman is looking for a man that is 6 ft tall may not notice he is 5' 10" or 5' 11". Unless she is tall herself. Age can be another example. Some people have a narrow age range on dating sites. Such as within 3-4 years either way. If they met a someone that was 6 years younger or older than they are, they could overlook the age difference.
 oceanbreezin
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2015 3:43:18 PM
Dear Author,
I had one ophtamologist mail me and on his first mail he insults me because of just one word in my profile that was under education. He then block me so I could not defend my self. He hurt me... If Lawrence thinks I stupid than he is mistaken.
If you hate a profile,,, people be nice.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/25/2015 4:28:43 PM
^^^
Thatz oful.

Sum fokes r reely shallo
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Love or Hate these profile specifics...