Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Love or Hate these profile specifics...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ouija2025
Msg: 76
Love or Hate these profile specifics...Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
You mean as cat pee of late Clooney... maybe notch down the cheetos hmm?
 2ufo
Msg: 77
Love or Hate these profile specifics...
Posted: 7/26/2015 11:51:37 AM

Your angry, defensive comment is typical of an avid gun owner.

I was talking about sport-hunting, not food-hunting. Hunting for food is understandable. Some sport hunting is done solely to acquire trophies or to see who can kill the most.

Literate Hiker - Your above statement sounds a bit sanctimonious and patronizing particularly the '...talking about sport-hunting, not food-hunting' because you don't appear to have a notion about either, only some stereotypical image in your mind. 'Sport' hunters usually get their licenses based on how many animals need to be culled from the eco-system. They bring home the meat or donate it. Sometimes they are hunting destructive animals (feral hogs).

Nor did I find Behind Blue Eyes remarks angry or defensive merely a personal perception he voiced. You seem to have a mental image of gun-owners being bearded, Republican, angry men with no teeth and plenty of conspiracy theories who go out and shot things at random. That appears to be your impression of the men in your town (from other posts). I'm female, liberal, Democrat with the vast majority of my own teeth (I paid for the one I didn't grow! LOL). While I love a good conspiracy theory, I don't usually believe them. I own a gun - two in fact - as well as 2 large hunting knives (aka 'Arkansas toothpick' or Bowie knives), a skinning knife, two hunting bows, a rapier, an epee, a saber and a replica of a Roman gladius. With the exception of the gladius, they have all been used - mostly by me, all by my family.

I don't find a 'trophy' picture very attractive for the purpose of dating but people put things that are important to them in their profile. If there's a profile photo of an activity a viewer find a dealbreaker; then both people dodged the proverbial bullet.
 learnin2flyhi110269
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2015 10:17:57 PM
Looks to me like the OP already made it a political post in which he is obvious about his stance....
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/28/2015 10:04:24 AM

Looks to me like the OP already made it a political post in which he is obvious about his stance....

Quotes? Specifics?
 Peas_
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/28/2015 10:10:12 AM

I saw a funny one on a woman's profile. "If you drink whiskey and take Ambien every night to go to sleep, keep it moving you're an addict even if your drugs are legal." She had about 35 of these including, of course, "if you're looking for a hookup..."

That's funny!...probably true tho. I had one date show me his bag of prescriptions he just picked up on the way, explaining why he was late. I took a gander at all....12 bottles or so. My eyes got real wide. *blink*blink*
 SLAFFA
Msg: 81
Posted: 7/28/2015 4:39:21 PM
On the surface, OLD sure looks for all intents and purposes just like catalog shopping for Humans and therein lays the chief problem and the trap that most OLD participants fall into. That attitude that "I have full CONTROL and POWER" and "I'm so much cooler Online".

How many folks do you think realize that there are TWENTY SIX items ALONE at the top of our profiles that people are perfectly free to take a hard line on? Throwing out Needs and Chemistry results still leaves 24. [In the RW, taking a hard line/B OR W stance on more than 3 or 4 of those things will make it near impossible to find a LTR material mate] And that's regardless of the quality/type of their pics or how well they might present themselves in their profile.

"This is just my opinion, but it seems like there are a lot of profile specifics people use extreme opinions to sort out..."

Having extreme opinions is far different than being Closed or Narrow minded or always be so willing to stereotype other folks who have different interests or hobbies. Just 5 or 6 hours ago I saw a [new to me] profile of a young 22 yo woman - an upgraded member at that - with - insert drum roll - Five pictures of herself with five DIFFERENT dead animals. I can only guess at the reception she would likely get in Profile Reviews.

So, I don't love or hate it when I see ladies with more than 3 or 4 things set in stone, regardless of what they are. We are all different. It simply means she is way too judgmental/Closed Minded/suffers from rigid thinking for me. Certainly NOT a good match [for me anyway] so I just move on. It's just a clear indication that she doesn't live in the RW and see the Big Picture. I think people tend to forget that when you fall in Love with someone you learn to compromise on a number of things. Religion might be one of the few things that some couples would actually need to compromise on. Abortion or gay rights, Evolution or global warming, the death penalty, seat belt usage, "illegal" aliens...

All subjects that can be/probably should be avoided with anyone who foams at the mouth at the mere mention of these topics. The OFF Topic Forums are full of these types. I think it wold be highly entertaining to see about 20 of them thrown on an island Survivor style for a month...

I have good, highly intelligent Forum friend who [apparently] KOd a Relationship with another "excellent potential" Fish simply because of political differences and nothing more. It does not seem fixable...
 2ufo
Msg: 82
Posted: 7/28/2015 4:50:34 PM
I think a person having things set in stone in their profile is because there's always the real world to fall back on and it remains the primary mode of meeting people... at least, for most of us. I don't mean intentionally meeting people to date but simply meeting people and talking with them then discovering a common interest which may lead to dating. The profile is simply the wish list for the perfect person but in the meantime, there's real life.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2015 6:48:41 PM

Smoking or not

That's not an in-or-out ... that's an either OUT or not necessarily out, like other concepts. And, like other concepts, on the Internet, it's uber-picky (unless the person's hot) to the non-allergic to smoke people (especially if they had more options like OKC & Match to note trying to quit or only when drinking).

Photos of fishing/hunting

Yeah, that CAN have polarizing effects (girl wet VS girl wet from crying). I think the Hunting part will be like smoking for some or a Big Plus for others (but if he's hot and wears flannel, he'll do just fine).

Motorcycles

I see this a big negative for some, big positive for others -- but not a "must have / must not have" thing.

Politics of any sort

If someone's political, it can turn some off in general unless they're political too. If they are political, then YES -- it's an either-in/out.

I would see being strongly religious being a big deal breaker -- and in some cases being a big deal maker.

Altogether, I don't think there's really anything that's polarized with the masses, as far as you'll only get these people with A, while negating all the rest, and you'll only get these people with B, while negating all the rest.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 84
Posted: 7/28/2015 10:10:27 PM
7/28/2015

Minnesota dentist Walter Palmer, who likes to kill wild animals because it makes him feel like a big strong man, allegedly paid $50,000 to shoot a beloved lion, named Cecil, who lived in Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park.

According to reports from Zimbabwe conservationists, Palmer and his guides lured the lion out of the National Park by attaching meat to their car. Once out of the park, Palmer shot the animal with an arrow. When that didn’t work, they stalked the lion for 40 hours and eventually killed it with a gun.

They then decapitated and skinned the lion, who was the park’s main attraction to tourists, and left its carcass on the edge of the park. Cecil had six cubs, but according to park officials they will likely be killed by the new alpha male of the pride.

Walter’s dentistry business may suffer as a result of his being revealed as Cecil’s killer. Outraged people have taken to Yelp and posted furious reviews.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 85
Posted: 7/28/2015 10:36:05 PM
I saw that story. At a start, this is going to cost him a hell of a lot more than 50 grand. I don't know what US laws are, but he might be facing criminal charges at home too.
 sibyll01
Msg: 86
Posted: 7/28/2015 11:34:34 PM
Personal Deal-Breakers:
Nonsmokers [with expressed deep aversion to Smokers[me]. No way will I give up my tobacco
as I actually create my own blends from exotic tobaccos from around the globe;}
Hunting/Killing Animals unless it's a question of survival & the action is conducted with respect.
"God-Fearing" or any unhealthy emphasis on one's spiritual beliefs.
Capitalists & Far Right Political statements.
Bores-reeking of mediocrity, devoid of originality, wit, & humor.
Visual & verbal displays of ignorance.
Remarks regarding Sexual Prowess, Abilities & Needs. Uncool.
Desperately seeking MARRIAGE or a SERIOUS RELATIONSHIP
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/29/2015 1:10:54 AM
I bet you were absolutely giddy to find that story......

I bet a lot of the Replies here, stung, & that's why You didn't make another post in this thread.
Till you found that shocking story...... Now You're trying to Tar all Hunters/Shooters, with that Brush....

Should I go find a story about some Backpacker/Hiker that started a Wildfire?
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 88
Posted: 7/29/2015 1:32:23 AM
A fight over guns! Makes a nice change from rape.

RIP Cecil the Lion
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/29/2015 2:16:17 AM
when people meet in the real world we don't have this veil of pre-qualification going on...

I'm just wondering why the all-or-nothing attitude seems to hold so fast to every little decision we make from this online dating process

It's a coping mechanism people use, bec. they really don't want to get too close to anyone...

There is alot of posturing & posing going on online, I'd say 80%

If u continue to do OLD, I'd advise seeking the 20% who are genuine...
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/29/2015 7:07:37 AM
I've heard the dentist has his practice shut down and nobody thinks it will start up again. A dozen people out of work. I have friends in the dental field that knew the guy as an aggressive azzhat more than 10 years ago. He's hunted all over the world and has a poaching charge against him for bear hunting in Wisconsin. Nobody that knows him believes he didn't know exactly what he was doing, and doesn't get what he deserves. I hear he's available - the dental assistant he was screwing left him along with the whole practice.

I don't have problems with people hunting - we all have a hobby - but it's pretty clear this dude has an ego even a whole fleet of Corvettes wouldn't manage to cover. What a prince. Some people just make too damn much money to learn humility.

Facebook and Twitter has been brutal. What I don't understand is random people that post threats of aggression and violence against the dude that are far worse crimes than killing a protected animal. How is that ANY better? That eye-for-an-eye kind of threat, or escalating it to something ridiculous is yet another symptom of this all-or-nothing polarizing effect that seems so common nowadays. People LOVE joining the bandwagon - even if it's headed for a cliff.
---------------
I wonder if that's why Donald Trump is carrying such popularity right now. Are people afraid to distinguish themselves from the current most popular trend? Can you still be in the political fray if you agree with some things but can't stand others? Why can't a conservative and liberal live under the same roof? Last I heard, everyone still gets only one vote, and you get to vote it in private if you so choose.
---------------
If the ladies get a weekend or two with girlfriends out partying, drinking, doing female bonding stuff - why can't a guy go hunting or fishing a couple times a year? Seems to me, a compatible couple knows how to compromise, to GET ALONG with each other - not just to agree on every little point. I DO believe it's a coping mechanism - people that came from bad relationships with lots of genuine fighting and abuse can't seem to handle minor quarreling with someone new out of the fear things will escalate. People in here meeting strangers have the same trepidation to varying degrees. People need to learn how each new person is new relationship, a new experience - and just how much of the bad past is actually hauled along by our OWN baggage. We don't need to 'match' everything perfectly to be a perfect match. If a couple agreed on EVERYTHING in life, life would be boring as hell.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/29/2015 7:31:01 AM
A good post Sweet, but rather than trying to convince the 80% do u think it is more efficient to find the 20% who already "get" it?
 Peas_
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/29/2015 7:36:42 AM
I'm a hunter, but I can't stand bear hunters with collared dogs. grrrrrrrr
 Ouija2025
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/29/2015 7:59:02 AM
Sounds like the dentist not much of a Hunter he has to take a Lion that is half tame in a national Park.
He should stay in hiding, spare people having to be around the POS.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2015 8:22:41 AM
We got sicko's at home:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/vet-kills-cat-arrow-photo-charges_n_7656706.html
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/29/2015 9:10:45 AM

I wonder if that's why Donald Trump is carrying such popularity right now. Are people afraid to distinguish themselves from the current most popular trend? Can you still be in the political fray if you agree with some things but can't stand others? Why can't a conservative and liberal live under the same roof? Last I heard, everyone still gets only one vote, and you get to vote it in private if you so choose.

Good Post Sweet Dan
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/29/2015 9:46:47 AM

Facebook and Twitter has been brutal. What I don't understand is random people that post threats of aggression and violence against the dude that are far worse crimes than killing a protected animal. How is that ANY better? That eye-for-an-eye kind of threat, or escalating it to something ridiculous is yet another symptom of this all-or-nothing polarizing effect that seems so common nowadays. People LOVE joining the bandwagon - even if it's headed for a cliff.

I know quite a few people on Facebook who have gone on about the issue at great length. Some of their lives are an absolute train wreck, yet their biggest concern right now is over a f*cking lion that had nothing to do with their personal lives.

Should I go find a story about some Backpacker/Hiker that started a Wildfire?

hahaha
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/29/2015 10:12:30 AM

A good post Sweet, but rather than trying to convince the 80% do u think it is more efficient to find the 20% who already "get" it?

After meeting a few intelligent, well-educated professional single women who STILL hold to the childishly ignorant mantra of "All Men are Pigs" - I gotta say 20% sounds a bit generous. More like 5-8%, or something under 1 in 10. Plenty of pseudo-intellectual guys on soap boxes out there too. I swear stupidity is so contagious we should all be wearing surgical masks when we browse Facebook. The smart people are the ones who stay off the internet as much as possible, and I am definitely NOT one of them.
 Peas_
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/29/2015 10:20:12 AM
I dunno, I think the smart people are the ones who can either ignore trigger, inflammatory comments,

OR

Can say.....

men are pigs,
and women are pig f*ckers.
 gtomustang
Msg: 99
Love or Hate your profile, let me change it for you
Posted: 7/29/2015 10:21:45 AM
replace the words "Donald Trump" with "Confederate flag", and watch the switchboard light up. since the days of cavemen, its been human nature (animal nature?) to close ranks and join forces. lately tho, it seems to take a course Pg mentioned--its a distraction for people who know darn well how others should live their own lives, but are on their ass and just can't seem to figure a way how to get on their feet instead.

can some in politics stand one thing yet not another? unfortunately, yes...they hate when the other party does something, but its ok when their's does it too. Otherwise known as hypocracy. We are very willing to pick sides, and believe our leaders when they tell us what to fear--we're ready to fear, yes sir, just point it out to us! it takes less time to be told what to fear, than it is to sit down, do research, and figure out for ourselves who and what is our real threat. Of course, it might turn out to be connected to our favorite leader. even worse...if its close, we might have to get off our ass and do something about it.

i'm not a hunter, I screw around with antiques and cars on my spare time instead. so there are other ways to escape.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 100
Posted: 7/29/2015 10:30:31 AM

When I’ve told this story to my friends they’ve said my Vet probably whacked it!

Yes, probably. Vets have a lot of love and compassion for animals, but they are also realists. If the mouse was already injured or damaged, I would think the vet would be sensible enough not to set it free at a disadvantage.

This killing of Cecil the Lion is so sad because it was absolutely needless. I don't see much "sport" in what the person did. It turns my stomach. However, I certainly hope the situation does not escalate to where the man is physically harmed. A person meting out that kind of justice is no better than the man who killed the lion. Perhaps now, the dentist (and others) might actually have cause to reflect more deeply on what they are doing. We can hope that more awareness and less tolerance for trophy hunting comes out of this sad event. Perhaps the lion-killer might feel the need to make a large donation to a wildlife preservation fund. That would be useful. Threatening his life, not so much.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Love or Hate these profile specifics...