Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Online World Different From Offline      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Online World Different From OfflinePage 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Let me put it this way. When I was dating on okc, I thought it would be interesting to see how well I could do with no photo and a well written, totally off the wall profile.

TBH I found OK to be better f and a better sight to begin with, the free site anyway. My understanding is that it isn't popular in all locales though. The match feature seems to actually work there, as they seemed to be a better match. POF always made me say "huh?". lol

My first tenure here was 2012-2013, and I would say about 15 or so in that period. Not a single "horror story" to tell. I came back earlier this year, and I've been on 6 since then.

I can't believe it! I suspected much more. Perhaps we need to reverse who is the Padawan here-muhahaha

But what would you actually consider a horror story? I honestly really only consider the gal who bought her cousin(or who ever she was) a horror story.

When I read about the lack of interaction from posters here, I am still quick to blame location above all else.

My motto is location, location , location. Location determines who is in your dating pool, and more important how WE fit into the dating pools wants/desires.

I have to believe Demidar got laid at least once.

He was married even! That means he got laid at least 6 times a year. lol

Would you even need farmers date, Christian date, Jewish date, taxidermy date, hot cougar connection

Actually the Jewish singles network was probably pioneers in online dating. They started out 1st with dating/marriage agencies and then went to personals. Most of the biggest singles groups were Jewish.

Btw I know what you problem is. Pig touched upon it. Location. You probably represent an unpopulat demographic in YOUR area. I BET
Seattle has a niche for you.

Women have an easy time, in that there is a lot of trash and potential to be used for sex.

Hey Vector. We need some more chaos here! :P

I don't care that you make negative comments....that's your nature, has been almost everytime you post with this profile and your last one.

You mean like saying CrookChaser? Perhaps he has never seen your arrest record. :)
 Peas_
Msg: 127
Online World Different From Offline
Posted: 7/27/2015 9:13:08 AM

Actually the Jewish singles network was probably pioneers in online dating. They started out 1st with dating/marriage agencies and then went to personals. Most of the biggest singles groups were Jewish.

Btw I know what you problem is. Pig touched upon it. Location. You probably represent an unpopulat demographic in YOUR area. I BET

Seattle has a niche for you.

Was that the Freeze niche?
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 128
Posted: 7/27/2015 9:35:14 AM

That would go against your white knight - save the day mentality.

I'm not sure about the white knight deal.....maybe a little more along the line of Batman with a grumpy attitude. ;)
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2015 9:40:35 AM

Was that the Freeze niche?

LOL.

BTW I apologize, After proofreading my post I found it full of spelling/typing mistakes and I did the quotes wrong. I woke up too early!
 patchjoker13
Msg: 130
Posted: 7/27/2015 10:50:13 AM
Ok HotinNC. Pew research released an article in April 2015. About one-third of all people who use dating sites will never go on a single date with another person from a site. I will say this...it is much better than before. Back in 2005, less than half of people who used OLD actually reported going on date generated by a site. Today about 5% of committed relationships started out with the use of a dating site. According to dating service reviews, 80% of initial contacts are generated by males and of all the messages sent out by men only about 25% will ever be responded to by females. So, ok bro...it's your turn...
 Peas_
Msg: 131
Posted: 7/27/2015 11:08:05 AM

The Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan American think tank based in Washington, D.C., that provides information on social issues, public opinion, and demographic trends shaping the United States and the world.

Think tanks purposes are to shape public opinions. I smell agenda.
 HotNSC123
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2015 11:18:11 AM
@patchjoker13: Really? Pew Research? Okay, please cite that article or anything that can verify the numbers you've just thrown out there. Do you not understand the concept of facts? Facts are verified and can be proven, so prove your stats! Otherwise, they're just numbers.

And I have just one other question, if you're bold enough to answer: are your failures at dating everyone else's fault or do you take any responsibility for you're inability to be successful here?
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 133
Posted: 7/27/2015 11:47:39 AM

I can't believe it! I suspected much more. Perhaps we need to reverse who is the Padawan here-muhahaha

Nope. I would estimate between 15-20 my first time around, and honestly, it felt like more than enough. It kept me busy for that entire year.

But what would you actually consider a horror story? I honestly really only consider the gal who bought her cousin(or who ever she was) a horror story.

Are you talking about the crapping in the woods incident? That was when I was 19. Long, long before my internet days. But I would define a "horror story" as something significantly "bad" that happened, which makes for a story to tell. I experienced nothing like that. No gold diggers, no being duped by old photos, etc.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2015 11:48:30 AM
They can do surveys, but the data they collect is still from a small sample of willing participants. IRL, the people who are successful are too busy to participate in surveys, and most leave the OLD sites once they find someone. So the numbers are only estimates, and based on who responded to the survey.

Ok HotinNC. Pew research released an article in April 2015. About one-third of all people who use dating sites will never go on a single date with another person from a site. I will say this...it is much better than before. Back in 2005, less than half of people who used OLD actually reported going on date generated by a site. Today about 5% of committed relationships started out with the use of a dating site. According to dating service reviews, 80% of initial contacts are generated by males and of all the messages sent out by men only about 25% will ever be responded to by females. So, ok bro...it's your turn...
 HotNSC123
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2015 11:50:00 AM
@Patchjoker: And even if those are accurate stats (which, I'd like to read for myself), what does that prove? That men send out more email? Is this a shocker to anyone? Even in the real world, it's a social norm that men chase women, so not sure what the big surprise is about that. And the low response rate, I wouldn't be surprised by that either. Think of all the women an average guy sees in real life a day, there might be quite a few that he's attracted to, there also might be quite a few women he encounters that are attracted to him, but the number significantly dwindles when you talk about a match. You know, where both parties are equally attracted to each other. The point is, you're not suppose to be attracted to everyone you come in contact with. So, it makes sense that response rates are low. And yes, the really attractive do have more suiters, but that's life. And life isn't fair. I just don't understand why some people refuse to understand that. Instead of working on themselves (because that's the only person you have control over) they whine and blame others for their shortcomings. Negativity will only bring negative things in your life. If that's the way you chose to be, than you can't expect different results. Look up the definition of insanity.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2015 11:55:25 AM
Pig , I mean I met a gal who bought another gal and she STAYED lol. I just wanted to know what a horror story is for you. I personally don't have many horror stories because I don't consider no chemistry, fading, or any of the normal dating etiquette to be horror stories.

I also don't consider crazy messages to be a horror in my book since often they are entertaining.

I did have a meal whore, but it was long time ago and before OLD. I sneaked out the back though-muhahaha
 SLAFFA
Msg: 137
Posted: 7/27/2015 12:09:26 PM
OLD worked FLAWLESSLY for me at 4 different sites in the 10 years or so I chose to have pics up AND a mistake free profile. [at 2 paid and 2 FREE sites] By using "good bait" and strictly adhering to a few simple easy to follow rules I met roughly 100 ladies during that stretch, about 70 from PoF. Not even ONE no show, cancellation, or "bad surprise" concerning face,age, body size etc. But I ignore the obvious inherrrent weaknesses of OLD and utilize the pluses that OLD shares with dating in the the RW. Pluses that HAVE WORKED for multiple thousands of years in the RW.

Where most people go wrong in OLD [and it's also common in the Forums by no coincidence] is that they suffer from BICitis.

Because I Can itis. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just because one has unlimited POWER to custom select/not select dozens of boxes and arrange letters in any fashion you please, while wearing anything you want while possibly wolfing pizza and slurping beer.... Combine that with no consequences for consitently bad decisions... I think that apparent Power is corruptive because so many folks have so little control over their lives in the RW. Because of that false sense of "power" most people's common sense concerning meeting possibles mates just goes out the window when they get behind a keyboard. And, throw in the fact that most people seem to be more intent on nitpicknig photos to death rather than just looking for 1 or 2 they like and it's no wonder so many have such "bad luck". Not to mention that so many are so unwilling to change their tactics when what they are doing is obviously not working.

Being Closed Minded in the RW, is a very bad strategy for finding a mate so there is no reason for it to work in OLD.

Is it?

Being picky or selective or having a few dealbreakers is an entirely different matter than what most folks do once they get ONline. Most folks will fall prey to what Brad Paisley wrote about in a hit song and video, " I'm so much cooler Online"
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 138
Posted: 7/27/2015 12:10:36 PM

I mean I met a gal who bought another gal and she STAYED lol. I just wanted to know what a horror story is for you.

I don't know about horror, but I did have a close call with this strawberry blonde one time. We were in a back booth at the local gun and knife club.....three Outlaw motorcycle club members pulled up and walked in...she said "oh crap" I said "what" she said "it's my boyfriend".
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2015 12:25:59 PM
^^^LMAO CC

Slaffa that is an interesting take on it, and I agree about how people act different online than IRL. I always behave in a meeting as if I am approaching for the 1st time! The whole interview method that seems to be popular with the OLD community I think has poor results. This isn't ordering a pizza at Dominoes!
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 140
Posted: 7/27/2015 12:40:19 PM

Pig , I mean I met a gal who bought another gal and she STAYED lol. I just wanted to know what a horror story is for you. I personally don't have many horror stories because I don't consider no chemistry, fading, or any of the normal dating etiquette to be horror stories.

Aaah, ok. She stayed at your house? So, what happened?? Did shit end up missing? Did she eat all the food in the house?
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 141
Posted: 7/27/2015 1:18:14 PM
Ok HotinNC. Pew research released an article in April 2015. About one-third of all people who use dating sites will never go on a single date with another person from a site.
------------------------
Ok, so that means two thirds of them will go out a date. What's your point?
 purplerider1200
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2015 3:21:38 PM
More research? Another version of the same old thing. Along with that is you're selecting the wrong people. Your profile sucks. Take better photos. Write better first messages. You're too picky. Take chances. Be witty, be funny. Blaa blaa blaa.

The only new thing I've seen, is location. OLD is identical to selling real estate. Location is everything.

I just checked. Right now, 28 women have been online today. And 680 men. The numbers don't look good in my area. It's not a wonder why I could throw messages until I'm blue in the face, and get no responses. This actually reminds me of an old west gold mining camp. Heck, I don't need a date, I need a house of ill repute- I'd make a killing.

Anyone want to question why I'm here- and not messing with the dating end?
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 143
Posted: 7/27/2015 4:00:43 PM

The only new thing I've seen, is location. OLD is identical to selling real estate. Location is everything.

Nah. I've brought it up a number of times here.

I just checked. Right now, 28 women have been online today. And 680 men.

That is absolutely abysmal, and precisely what I'm talking about.
 patchjoker13
Msg: 144
Posted: 7/28/2015 11:35:18 PM
Ya, just did searches in my area around a 5 mile radius for people online today. Girls looking for guys, 140, guys looking for girls, over 400. That is almost a 3 to 1 difference. The more you spread it out, the worse the numbers get. You may jump it to ten miles out and pick up another 100 ladies but then the number jumps up to well over 800 guys looking for ladies. The numbers game just does not make it a good investment for the time and effort put in. In your area and age bracket it might be better for guys but for a lot of them, the numbers are as bad as the ones stated in the posts above. For Hot Pants (Bro) and all the other "Knights for Female Salvation League" or the women who complain about OLD but get all upset when men state that it is all BS. Why do you care that I see OLD that way? Why is it so upsetting to you? Maybe if I wore a t-shirt advertising mail order brides and horny cougars I would appear less anti-women. I cannot believe you people are actually that stupid. Where do you think all of POFs money comes from??? Trying to bring people together I'm sure, hahhahahaaa.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 145
Posted: 7/29/2015 2:23:56 AM

Being Closed Minded in the RW, is a very bad strategy for finding a mate so there is no reason for it to work in OLD.

Is it?

Being picky or selective or having a few dealbreakers is an entirely different matter than what most folks do once they get ONline. Most folks will fall prey to what Brad Paisley wrote about in a hit song and video, " I'm so much cooler Online"

Posturing & posing, adopting a false persona really makes one undateable.

Another forumite recently posted in another thread that being in a relationship requires people to do some heavy lifting.

Why would someone who is posturing want to stop & actually work on themself?
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 146
Posted: 7/29/2015 3:15:00 AM

Knights for Female Salvation League" or the women who complain about OLD but get all upset when men state that it is all BS. Why do you care that I see OLD that way? Why is it so upsetting to you? Maybe if I wore a t-shirt advertising mail order brides and horny cougars I would appear less anti-women

Nobody on planet earth cares about what you think about OLD.

What your priblem is....the perpetual need to slander a gender because you suck at OLD...such as...

To try to get a bit of attention from average to below average women with shitty profiles, slutty pictures, and hypocritical viewpoints?

That's what I think is pathetic......Bytch all you want, but don't blame the other team because you suck at the game.
 Peas_
Msg: 147
Posted: 7/29/2015 5:52:33 AM

Maybe if I wore a t-shirt advertising mail order brides and horny cougars I would appear less anti-women. I cannot believe you people are actually that stupid. Where do you think all of POFs money comes from??? Trying to bring people together I'm sure, hahhahahaaa.

The monies are illusionary based on numbers of fake users. PayPerClick advertising.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 148
Posted: 7/29/2015 6:37:07 AM

Girls looking for guys, 140, guys looking for girls, over 400. That is almost a 3 to 1 difference.

That is horrible, that would mean writing a more outrageous opening email that can get viewed over the other 400 guys saying, "Hi my name is Boresh it, you are gorgeous, why don't you look at my profile." But then out of that 140 women only about 35 percent are really attractive, with 1 percent being Barbies. So, skip the 1 percent and hit that other 34 percent, that's about 40 women, so that is about a year's worth of good dates. And by that time there will be more women into the market. So that would boil down to at least one date every two weeks.

Yeah, that's horrible.

LOL
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2015 11:56:46 PM
Out of those 28 women how many are genuinely looking and are who they say they are???
Needless to say most of the 680 men are undesirable in some measure to most people also.
Those who live in highly populated areas will seem to have more options and choice but again more competition.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 150
Posted: 7/30/2015 9:24:08 AM
Except for the fact that about 90% of them lied about their height, almost everyone I have met represented themselves fairly honestly in their profiles. They looked like their pics, and I really doubt any of them had secret wives or gfs since they were all very open and reachable.

I won't date any more "occasional" smokers though. The last "occasional" smoker had a two pack a day habit.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Online World Different From Offline