Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Online World Different From Offline      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chameleonf
Msg: 151
Online World Different From OfflinePage 7 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
The methods used online as opposed to offline may be different, but the people are the same. You're going to get subterfuge by those who are inherently dishonest or you're going to get transparency by those who are inherently honest, no matter how you meet them. The dishonest will use different tactics for different reasons depending on what the goal is. I wouldn't say those who are online are any different than those who you find offline. The discovery of the dishonest is just more apparent online. Their dishonesty offline just makes them be more ingenious because they don't have the computer to initially hide behind.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Online World Different From Offline
Posted: 7/30/2015 3:45:27 PM

Out of those 28 women how many are genuinely looking and are who they say they are???

Exactly. One I met didn't look at all like her photos, was drunk at our meeting, and walked out, without even waving bye. Another, I didn't even recognise. The photos she used were ten years old. Yes, at the time you were good looking. Go climb into your Mr. Peabody Wayback machine, and meet me after you get out.
 sealady111
Msg: 153
Posted: 7/30/2015 4:33:27 PM
I went to a MeetUp last night.
Dinner with a guest speaker.
6 men 25 women.
I chatted with nearly everyone.
Every single one of the men were polite, charming and respectful.

So completely different to my on line experiences.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 154
Posted: 7/30/2015 4:59:45 PM
Online, there may very well be more men than women..maybe at this point, women just aren't as comfortable with anonymous formats. There's a lot of verbal abuse and harassment that happens when angry men get rejected. Women can only endure so much of this. It calls in the question of safety, which is so very important to women and one of the necessary ingredients to intimacy.

I've looked at singles meetup events here in LA and check the "who went" list...almost all women.

It's funny because on one hand, everything point to women being totally into hook ups and one nighters, judging on the pics I see here on POF there's alot of young ladies willing to pose like sluts w/sexed up duckface selfies, very suggestive pics, giving the APPEARANCE at least of a never ending buffet of babes. So then, why is this such a struggle for guys. How come these "up for anything" ladies arent coming thru? AM I actually looking at pics of pros?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 155
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:03:23 PM
VK - HEART the new Main
I don't even think we have meet up here.. I just try to get a posse of women together to go out and have some fun.
I have found that Men are, well everywhere
Oh yes, the age old PUA, who couldn't hump the crack of dawn yet act on line as if the are stallions
sigh
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:04:23 PM
That is a nice photo VK the king!

EDIT BELOW:Seal we aren't buds anymore? lol
 sealady111
Msg: 157
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:09:35 PM
Volcano ( agreed, beautiful picture) I also wonder about those suggestive young female photos.
Are they pros?
Or someone else pretending to be the young, easy woman to get their jollies.
Or are they fake profiles to attract more men to join, click and pay money.
Perhaps that is why the suggestive duck face women never want to meet or rarely reply?

I was surprised to see so many men at that MeetUp.
Normally it is nearly ALL women.

I am hosting a MeetUp this weekend to wander around the Sydney Boat Show.
Current RSVP's only 1 man. Everyone else is female.
Neither last night nor next Sunday are advertised for 'singles'

I did look at some 'singles' MeetUp's for comparison.
Women.... full. Men still open and very few fill the male quota.

Maybe more men sit at their computers trying to pick up imaginary women and women are out doing things.
Perhaps this is part of the reason for the struggle.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 158
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:14:14 PM

VolkanoKing :
I've looked at singles meetup events here in LA and check the "who went" list...almost all women.

About 12 years ago, for an entire year, I hosted a meet and greet group in two different locations here in Philly. Events were held twice a month. We had a hard time to get men to attend most events, female attendees were actually in the majority.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 159
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:16:22 PM
I finally met this guy at the grocery store the other week...one I've been curious about for a long time. But when I go long distances with lots to carry, my cane wont do. Just not safe for me so I use a scooter, and men NEVER pay attention to me when I do. So I was happy when I saw him yesterday and it was like he was trying to find more small talk so he could stay and talk. I think he asked me two or three times if he could help me. I couldn't think quick enough to make something up. haha. Next time, I'll come up with a plan, say I can't find the crackers or something...then return them when he is gone. lol.

I do love meeting people, not a shy bone in my body. I do meet more men in person, but only when I have my cane.
 sealady111
Msg: 160
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:21:49 PM
Oh no!!!!1

I have upset Joe..... Sorry my darling.

So if most real life activities for singles or general have many, many more women than men.

Where are the men?
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 161
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:33:53 PM
I dream about grocery store meetings! :D

Glad you like the pic..that was actually a photo I took for EBay, I was selling the hat!

I was once in Trader Joes and I had my headphones on. I must have been boppin' to the music, because a guy came up to me and told me he thought it was really cool I was jazzin' around enjoying myself like that. Haha..the conversation didnt go any further, he just wanted to let me know. Maybe I should take dance classes, eh?

Anyway, the continued consensus is that its hard to get men to attend the singles events in person. Do men tend to gravitate towards the "anonymous" formats more, like OLD? I get a good ratio of men to women on my hikes, but then, it's not really a singles thing, but there are alot of single people who go. I tend to think these venues are a little better. No pressure to "perform" or be "interviewed" like with speed dating.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 162
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:48:06 PM
I think VK is Secretly trying to tell us.........

She's the new Sheriff in Town, with Her Hat Pic........ :p
 gtomustang
Msg: 163
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:57:32 PM
gosh, i'm watching Ted the movie and find a profile of a buxom blonde claiming she'll "fill out later". I resisted the urge to creep, "sure looks like you already filled out perfectly", and apparently my reward for not being a douche is VK brings out a new photo.

sometimes, being nice pays off.

personally, I find RL to be different from OLD b/c its not two dimensional, so you can tell humor, confidence, etc. what part of your personality may not carry thru--or worse, get misinterpreted--can get unconsciously understood in your body language.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 164
Posted: 7/30/2015 6:29:32 PM

I also wonder about those suggestive young female photos.
Are they pros?
Or someone else pretending to be the young, easy woman to get their jollies.
Or are they fake profiles to attract more men to join, click and pay money.
Perhaps that is why the suggestive duck face women never want to meet or rarely reply?

I think it's a mixture of all of the above, plus some women who enjoy being a tease or an exhibitionist without live consequence.
I remember on one site years ago, a woman who declared that she had found someone on the site and stayed for the forums, still left up her main pic of her in her underwear lounging in a chair.

I was surprised to see so many men at that MeetUp.
Normally it is nearly ALL women.

I am hosting a MeetUp this weekend to wander around the Sydney Boat Show.
Current RSVP's only 1 man. Everyone else is female.
Neither last night nor next Sunday are advertised for 'singles'

I did look at some 'singles' MeetUp's for comparison.
Women.... full. Men still open and very few fill the male quota.

Maybe more men sit at their computers trying to pick up imaginary women and women are out doing things.
Perhaps this is part of the reason for the struggle.

VolkanoKing :

About 12 years ago, for an entire year, I hosted a meet and greet group in two different locations here in Philly. Events were held twice a month. We had a hard time to get men to attend most events, female attendees were actually in the majority.

Well, perhaps things have started to come full circle, then, with more women showing up at live events.

I'm in Southern California, too, and the whole reason I ever started with online dating sites was because the attendance at 0ver 30 singles events and venues here in SoCal started dropping off dramatically around the year 2000, which I attributed to the corresponding growth of online dating sites. I figured women had decided it was easier to sit at home in front of their computers in their underwear and meet men, rather than making the effort to get all dressed up and go out. Less women were showing up at the venues, and consequently that meant less men, and so most of the regular weekly singles dances that had been going on since the late 1980s folded up shop.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2015 6:42:29 PM
Whenever I've seen speed dating events on meetup.com with the exception of one time they usually need more men to participate, the last POF event I went too the ratio was about even for girls to guys. Maybe some men just assume that they're not going to have any success speed dating or going to a singles event. The meetups I go to which tend to be happy hours have an pretty even number of girls to guys but that's not dating either. I think the lower the pressure the more men will show up. I think the thought process is "14 girl at a speed dating event, I'll just get rejected 14 times" Personally speed dating doesn't seem to be something I would be good at. I'm better bouncing off of people I suck at carrying conversations.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2015 6:46:35 PM
^^At least there is no need to discuss 14 times about who picks up the check! :)
 sealady111
Msg: 167
Posted: 7/30/2015 6:50:21 PM
I tried Speed Dating once.
Being the social butterfly that I am I had already spoken with everyone prior to the official 'speed dating'.
So much so that a few people thought I was one of the organisers.

I ticked a few men who I would like to meet again.
Noone chose me.

Did have an Indian (Curry Indian) man tell me "He was not married in Australia"

A once in a lifetime experience for me.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 168
Posted: 7/30/2015 7:00:10 PM

How come these "up for anything" ladies arent coming thru? AM I actually looking at pics of pros?

Beautiful pic VK :)

I suspect these pros enjoy the ego stroking and validation.

Next...
 sigungq
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2015 7:28:18 PM

VolkanoKing wrote:

It's funny because on one hand, everything point to women being totally into hook ups and one nighters, judging on the pics I see here on POF there's alot of young ladies willing to pose like sluts w/sexed up duckface selfies, very suggestive pics, giving the APPEARANCE at least of a never ending buffet of babes. So then, why is this such a struggle for guys. How come these "up for anything" ladies arent coming thru? AM I actually looking at pics of pros?

Actually, yes, that's exactly what they are. In fact, many of the paid sites use pros, and create multiple fake profiles just to attract suckers to part with their money. It's the old bit and switch, just done in "online fashion".
 NJgirl116
Msg: 170
Posted: 7/30/2015 7:35:21 PM

The meetups I go to which tend to be happy hours have an pretty even number of girls to guys but that's not dating either.

Happy hours ended up being the only meetups I go to. :-)
 patchjoker13
Msg: 171
Posted: 7/31/2015 12:18:53 AM
In response to Volkano's post about seeing a lot of female pictures on POF that are suggestive and give the appearance of ladies who are "up for a good time". I am glad a female posted this because if I or other guys on here posted that, the white knight police would be on our a**es like flies on sh*t. But anyways, there are basically 4 reasons for this.

1. There are ladies who are open for casual meetings but not with the everyday average guy. These ladies will jump in the sack from time to time but only with the hot, handsome, top 10% type of guys in their group. If they are going to sacrifice their dating moral code, they are going to make sure it is worth it. I have said many times on here that good looking players probably have a field day with OLD.

2. There are ladies who post these types of pictures that are not easy or slutty. They simply do it to get the guys attention. They feel they need to do it to compete with the other ladies who are showing the goods and to send a message that this could be yours if you play your cards right. It is clear that even IRL, women are becoming more comfortable with their bodies. I see women almost everyday who wear pants and leggings so tight I can see their past lives. Of course,... you will get no complaints from me. : )

3. Some do it just for attention. These women don't have any intention of meeting or dating anyone online. They simply like to be drooled over and may even engage in some flirty messaging but will never meet anyone. Some of these ladies even have boyfriends or are married and it is just a turn on for them. Some even do it as couples and let their man see the messages because it turns him on that other men want his babe. It is almost like a "swinging" fantasy without actually cheating. And for those naive people.....yes there are couples like that.

4. They are simply fake. It could be the profiles are created by the site, it could be less attractive females fantasizing, or it could be a 60 year old man....Who knows? I have even seen examples on Y*o T*be where two different profiles from opposite sides of the country had the same exact pictures...something is going on there.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 172
Posted: 7/31/2015 2:00:49 AM

because if I or other guys on here posted that, the white knight police would be on our a**es like flies on sh*t.

Well you got it half right, some more of your shyt.

There are ladies who are open for casual meetings but not with the everyday average guy. These ladies will jump in the sack from time to time but only with the hot, handsome, top 10% type of guys in their group. If they are going to sacrifice their dating moral code, they are going to make sure it is worth it.

In other words....anyone but you and that pisses you off.

There are ladies who post these types of pictures that are not easy or slutty. They simply do it to get the guys attention

Oh I like how you back pedaled from your other post......back ot......they simply do it to get the guy's attention...but when you give it to them they won't acknowledge it and that again pisses you off.

Some do it just for attention. These women don't have any intention of meeting or dating anyone online. They simply like to be drooled over and may even engage in some flirty messaging but will never meet anyone.

Since they won't respond to you, that has to be it...oh poor me again, lets just say they won't meet anyone since they won't meet you.

They are simply fake or something is going on there

They just have to be since they won't respond to you and it shows again that it doesn't take much to throw you into woe is me mode.

I see women almost everyday who wear pants and leggings so tight I can see their past lives. Of course,... you will get no complaints from me. : )

I think this is instrumental in your frustration.

Same shyt, OLD sucks for you, so lets bash/blame the women. White knight police indeed. :/ Gonna go give the horse a rest now.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 173
Posted: 7/31/2015 3:28:21 AM
Volcano...this is for you! I am sure everyone in here would agree!

https://youtu.be/jbqpG5fYai4
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 174
Posted: 7/31/2015 4:28:11 AM
Thanks Crook, you just made my day, nice use of language. :-)

Now for the hard part, should I even bother going to work? *muttley laugh*
 patchjoker13
Msg: 175
Posted: 7/31/2015 7:56:47 AM
I think it's funny that BelleAtlantic states that she enjoys CrookCatcher's BS. This is wonderful for me because it represents the hypocrisy on these forums. The timing could not be more perfect. I see that CrookCatcher is from the good old USA.

Well,... on a different thread a female posted a story about her boyfriend being a D-bag and said he does not take her out, wants her to cook dinner for him while he lays on her couch, and does not walk beside her in public....

BelleAtlantic's first response post was- " The problem is that you are dating a *typical American man apparently*, someone who wows you in the beginning, then becomes your friend. He was only interested in getting you, and once he got you, all the charm melted away, all he wants to do is "hang out" while you do most of everything on top of "keeping" his d*ck from acquiring blue balls."

The funny thing was,...the couple was not even from the USA....but that is another story. Belle stood by her statement as just being about preferences and not about unfairly judging all American men. Now if I would have made a statement about all American women being worthless, guys like CC would get back on his horse to chase me down...right? You see, BellaAtlantic his praising CrookCatcher now, but on another thread she will not hesitate to throw him and the rest of us "American men" under the bus. And that is what guys like CC don't understand.

I don't care about not getting these women from OLD. I have seen plenty...and you can have them,.. and I do fine with the ladies, you don't have to worry about me.

This reminds me of the old Joker and Batman interrogation seen. Batman thinks he has the Joker and he tries to verbally shame him, then the Joker hits Batman with the truth.....

"Don't talk like one of them, your not, even if you'd like to be, to them your just a freak, like me, they need you right now,...when they don't, they'll cast you out, like a leper. Their morals, their code, it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble, they are only as good as the world allows them to be, I'll show ya, when the chips are down these aaah civilized people,.. they'll eat each other.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Online World Different From Offline