Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > I would do anything for love.... but I won't do that!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cassie2425
Msg: 93
I would do anything for love.... but I won't do that!Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
In Canada or the US a joint checking (chequing) account is your bank accout...where you put in money and withdraw money or write cheques on it. You can't run up debt on a joint bank account here. So, you can't run up debt, you can't take out more money than what you put in there in the first place. A credit card is a whole different thing.

So I guess there are a couple of things to take from this is - don't take financial advice from those on a dating site and make sure you clarify what country you're talking about as this is a world wide site.
 cassie2425
Msg: 94
I would do anything for love.... but I won't do that!
Posted: 3/31/2016 7:23:56 AM
You asked a question you twit. In your post I was responding to you said "I don't know what you mean a checking account."

So I explained what a checking account is in the U s and Canada. You're welcome, and I accept your apology for be rude, again. I just answered your question?

BTW, are you on here 24/7? Don't have a job?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 95
Posted: 3/31/2016 7:26:54 AM
er, speaking of rude
Chequing.. idk, I thought you can use it to get a LOC
 dragonbytes
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2016 8:18:03 AM

And in any country how is it quite safe if all your money went into a joint account and the other cleared it out and left you without a penny to pay for food or bills huh?

Yeah I'll take her advice _:)

Are you still in the 18 year relationship with your soul mate? It sure doesn't sound like it.

I wouldn't keep all my money in a checking account, just enough to pay a few months bills. Sure, it would be problem if someone that was legally able to drained all the money out did that, but that's not the point. Credit cards or a saving account can pay the bills in the short term, so it wouldn't really be a problem outside of losing the money.

Though I would only have a joint account with someone I trusted implicitly and was married to. And I would never get married unless I trusted them implicitly.

The point is, you can't run up actual debt that way.

Maybe bounce a check at most, which really isn't debt and I doubt anyone will take a rubber check for a large amount in this day and age. Everyone authenticates with the bank to see if the check will clear, they don't just take a check and let go away with a large purchase.

However, when I we talked about getting married, I did give my GF a credit card in her name and made her an authorized user on my credit card while she lived in Thailand and I was in Chicago. So I would have been liable for anything she wanted to charge, up to the limit of the card. But I am a pretty good judge of character, so I trusted her not to do anything foolish. The limit on that card was $6,000, she never used it, but that was the limit of my liability if I were wrong. I suppose that's cheaper than getting married to the wrong sort of woman.

I didn't ask the forum for advice about that.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2016 4:14:27 PM
A joint account here with two cardholders, in Australia works the same way and I would only ever have it for household expenses etc. A woman always needs her own account that cant be accessed by the partner in my view. Relationships can change and having our own money I feel is essential.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > I would do anything for love.... but I won't do that!