Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Cecil the Lion’s Alleged Killer ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 theleathernun
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Cecil the Lion and baby killing millsPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

"That Lion Dude"

Actually it's more than just one lion. It's the cubs as well.

There has been no mention as to the size of the pride but it seems to me they have mentioned at least six cubs' lives are on the line.

So this guy is actually going to be responsible for the killing of a very well-known and highly prized lion and at least six other lions as well. The mama lions are also at risk because they could die protecting their babies as most mothers would do.

Wanna bet his hunting buddies are patting him on the back - way to go pal - high fives all around!

This nun does not understand the need for such senseless killing.
 Witnesstomythoughts
Msg: 52
Cecil the Lion and baby killing mills
Posted: 7/31/2015 10:53:37 AM
“I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there.”
― Mother Teresa
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/31/2015 12:09:45 PM
SweetD, I agree. The guy's a jerk, but he makes his living giving peeps fake smiles.

I DO wish/hope/pray that he's banned from hunting/fishing (he fishes without a permit, too) for life.

On the upside--the lions seem to be being better humans than we are. . . .

The cubs fathered by Cecil the lion are being protected by his brother amid fears they will be killed by a male rival, researchers said today.

The much-loved lion was killed by American dentist Walter Palmer earlier this month, sparking outrage around the world.

After his death, there were fears his cubs would be killed by the next lion in the hierarchy – a male named Jericho – so he could father his own offspring with the females in the pride.

But a team at Oxford University's Wildlife Conservation Unit, which had been studying Cecil before he was shot dead, said the lion's brother had stepped in to safeguard the young.

Project leader David Macdonald said: 'The natural law in lion society is that when a male dies and his weakened coalition is usurped, the new incoming males kill their predecessors' cubs.

'This may not happen because Cecil's brother is still holding the fort.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3181277/Saved-Cecil-lion-s-cubs-protected-BROTHER-fears-evil-rival-Jericho-kill-pride-says-Oxford-University-expert.html
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/31/2015 5:37:39 PM
I think crying about the potential loss for the lion's family is drumming up more sympathy for the animal when it doesn't need to be there. The cubs have the potential to get killed even if Dad gets a bad head cold, gets hit by a safari truck, or a bajillion other ways. That's nature. It happens regardless of whether this snowflake happens to be there with a bow or not. His brother could have easily changed his mind and been one of the main lion males licking their lips and drooling at the chance to attack. Don't EVER try to replace your own, human tendencies for family protection with what a wild African animal may do.

The crime is taking a protected animal. One. Don't blow it out of proportion. The guy picked a doozy of a creature to pick off, but it's still only one animal. Blowing this guy's story out of proportion is NOT needed to realize he did something monumentally stupid and arrogant.
 aj7125
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/31/2015 5:55:34 PM
^^^^^Agreed, there was a crime but not to the point some are wanting. I know a guy who hunts big game and he is a very safe, conscientious hunter you will ever find. Like everything and anyone, you are always going to find people that are not desirable as far as what they do and how they do it. To paint a bigger picture grouping this guy into everyone who hunts big game just continues to show proof how idiotic some are in here. They are consisten though.
 tallish3243
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/31/2015 6:07:19 PM
So i am an idiot for concluding that only the scum of the earth would hunt a lion for sport and trophy? Okay, I am an idiot. I still advocate for this man spending the rest of his life in jail, but you can throw all the other big game hunters in there with him. They are all psychopathic scum as far as I am concerned.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 57
Cecil the Lion’s Alleged Killer ...
Posted: 7/31/2015 6:10:24 PM
Over 600 lion's are killed every year, and I don't see people complaining about those. I think is kind of hypocritical that in the past few days since Cecil was killed, 6 other lions were also hunted and killed, and we don't hear much in the news about them either.

Rich American tourists kill hundreds of lions each year, and it’s all legal :

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/07/29/rich-american-tourists-kill-hundreds-of-lions-each-year-and-its-all-legal/
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/31/2015 6:33:00 PM

So i am an idiot for concluding that only the scum of the earth would hunt a lion for sport and trophy? Okay, I am an idiot.

Nobody called you any names. That's your words, not mine. I don't hold a high opinion for anyone that does more than sustenance hunting, but being an azzhole is not a crime.

I still advocate for this man spending the rest of his life in jail, but you can throw all the other big game hunters in there with him. They are all psychopathic scum as far as I am concerned.

...and that will probably safely keep you off the jury if something about this ever went to trial.

It's OK to hate the guy. I think 'douchebag' is the first word that came to mind when I found out who he was. But when a crime gets committed in a civilized society - be it shoplifting or genocide - it's still taken, charged and processed as one single act at a time, not out of context according to how we feel about the person or the popularity (or infamy) of the act.
 shirleywonton01
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/31/2015 6:57:43 PM
^^^I think people are very happy to see big game hunters getting in trouble and their douchebaggery behavior being exposed for what it is. There are many big game breeding centers in the USA and I for one would like to see them shut down and illegal.
 tallish3243
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/31/2015 8:17:02 PM
":it's still taken, charged and processed as one single act at a time, not out of context according to how we feel about the person or the popularity (or infamy) of the act."

Emotions play a huge role in how juries rule. The angrier they get, the more likely they convict or the more money they award.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/31/2015 9:03:53 PM

Cecil was also part of an Oxford University study to determine the effects of hunting around the national park.

It is a sad to know that someone killed such a magnificent animal. He seemed to be very strong lion, a real " king of the jungle" kind.

The White House said yesterday it would review a public petition of more than 100,000 signatures to have him extradited.

I would agree with that petition ONLY if They send him to The Hwange national park to pay his fine.
His jail time should be in that same park, DONATING his work in favor of the lions for 5 years.
IMO, that would be a fair punishment.

an aggressive jerk, an adrenaline junkie, someone who's always looking for his next thrill. -he'll be forever known as 'That Lion Dude'

He can use all these "qualities" helping the lions for FREE in that Park.!! That should be enough for " his next thrill".

P.S
Bye Mr. Dentist, And Do not worry, we'll send you each year a Christmas Card with Cecil's picture on it, of course.

_mungojoe_
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/31/2015 9:43:00 PM

Maybe you need to wreck a car or two hitting a deer and you'll realize hunters do indeed perform a service for YOU.

Yeah except... when you hit the deer with your car... the deer still gets "his cut" out of the deal... and you can't chase him into the trees when you miss...

That sounds a whole lot more even to me...
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/31/2015 9:50:55 PM

Over 600 lion's are killed every year, and I don't see people complaining about those. I think is kind of hypocritical that in the past few days since Cecil was killed, 6 other lions were also hunted and killed, and we don't hear much in the news about them either.

In case you don't understand what took place (which it seems that you don't); this guy WP lured a 'tracked' lion from its preserve and unlawfully killed it. Would he have been able to lawfully kill some other Lion in a different context? Perhaps so, but he didn't! He knew what he was doing when he was poaching it. This Lion was a hallmark of the pride, and was under study.

As a result, the Gov't of Zimbabwe took insult that this happened; considering that they were doing their part in maintaining the preserve, which would be a magnet for tourists. They have laws against poaching and the notion that this guy should get away without penalty stirs resent.

He knew he was violating the rules by pushing the envelope like most adrenaline junkies do! IMO, he should be apprehended and extradited for trial in Zimbabwe, with the understanding that his "human" right ought not be violated!
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/1/2015 4:26:47 AM

In case you don't understand what took place (which it seems that you don't)

I actually do understand what he did.

Where’s the outrage over other endangered species, or the consumption of animals?
Brett Arends's ROI

I like Jimmy Kimmel, but advertisers on his network DIS, -0.02% include pretty much every national chain restaurant and food company.

Within 24 hours of Kimmel getting upset on national TV, nearly a million people had gone on YouTube to share the moment.

Meanwhile, a video showing chickens being tortured at a U.S. chicken-processing plant was uploaded several weeks ago. Only a fraction as many have bothered to watch it.

But, hey, that’s different, right?

I come to this neither with clean hands nor any claim to perfection. Until last year I ate meat. For some time I had become increasingly uncomfortable with the idea of living creatures being killed so I could eat them. Then I paid a visit to a farm and found myself petting a disabled newborn lamb. (I’m sorry if this sounds utterly ridiculous. It is utterly ridiculous. But that’s how it happened.) Afterward I asked myself: How in hell could I ever eat lamb chops again?

Like many “vegetarians,” I still make occasional exceptions for fish, although less and less often. I question how self-aware a fish really is. But feel free to yell at me if you wish.

When I was growing up, our family at one point kept pigs. We named them all — from “Little Pig” to “Big Pig” to “Sneaker-Eater,” who would, as his name implies, nibble at the toes of your sneaker if you put them against the fence. It didn’t stop us from eating the bacon and ham when the time came. I view things differently now.

It’s easy to claim the case of Cecil the lion is “totally different” from the case of all the millions of defenseless animals we kill every year for food. (The phrases “totally different” and “completely different” —as in “Oh, but that’s totally different” — always crop up when hypocrites are trying to defend themselves against the charge of hypocrisy.)

Yes, lions are at risk of extinction, while cows, pigs and sheep aren’t. But the death of a single lion is hardly material in this regard. There are more than 20,000 species worldwide at risk of extinction, and where is the outrage about them? (Oh, and cattle farming is threatening the entire planet with extinction.)
U.S. dentist accused of killing beloved lion(3:15)

Others say that at least we eat the other animals we kill. Yes, indeed. But we don’t have to. And if Walter Palmer had eaten Cecil, would that have been OK?

Others point out that Cecil took many hours to die. No kidding. I share your outrage. But, then, the cruelty to animals in slaughterhouses, and in many industrial farms, is no joke, either. Lobsters get boiled alive. How ’bout that?

My favorite objection in this instance is that Cecil was a really popular, well-known lion on his game preserve in Zimbabwe. Palmer actually apologized for killing an animal that was a “known, local favorite.”

Um, what? Would it be OK if he was unpopular, or unknown? Do all the cows and lambs being sent to the slaughterhouse deserve their fate?

Nobody can fight the thundering herd of human hysteria when it gets into full stampede, and no one is going to stop this one, either. It will have to run itself out over the next few weeks. Every TV presenter who wants to copy Jimmy Kimmel is going to be chopping onions furiously in the commercial breaks to get the waterworks flowing.

If all this leads to some good, so much the better. But if it is just a short-lived and pointless festival of sanctimony, we might as well just skip it.

If Palmer is smart, he’ll stay in hiding and say absolutely nothing for the next month or two. Nothing he says or does will help him until this blows over. I hope he never hunts another animal again. But, then, I hope everyone else will stop pointlessly killing animals, as well. Fat chance, alas.

Enjoy your hamburger.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/spare-me-the-hypocrisy-on-cecil-the-lion-2015-07-29?page=2
 tallish3243
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/1/2015 6:53:46 AM
"Maybe it is you, the one who wishes to control and limit what others do is the one who should be imprisoned for life, just so the rest of us can keep our liberties and freedoms. "

Screw your liberties and freedoms. You have no liberty or freedom to indiscriminately take life just for trophy or sport. There is nothing special about these people that make them superior to the animals they slaughter. They are psychopathic, narcissists with guns and money. Nothing more. Their freedom to swing their arms ends at the tips of the noses of these majestic animals.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/1/2015 7:48:34 AM
One thing is very clear to me.

Dentists make way too much money and they should come under price controls.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 67
Posted: 8/1/2015 7:55:27 AM
It's clear Theo Bronkhorst, and Honest Trymore Ndlovu committed a crime, it's less clear that Walter Palmer knew about it.

I lean towards Palmer knew the lion was lured out of the game preserve, which is a crime. I looked it up, he could get 10-15 years in prison. But there isn't any evidence of that as of yet.

What's an interesting question, will the USA extradite him to Zimbabwe, and can he get a fair trial given all the outrage? I think the odds favor him being extradited.

Why no outrage directed towards Theo Bronkhorst, and Honest Trymore Ndlovu? Or the legal system that allows the big 5 to be killed for a price.
 tallish3243
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/1/2015 8:07:04 AM
He knew. He probably paid extra for bagging that lion. His intent was clear. Nothing we can do about those governments that allow the slaughter or the residential whores who guide the hunters. But we can do something about the psychopaths from this country who are big game hunters. 1) make it illegal to import big game trophies into the country. (2) find the a**holes here who hunt there, expose them. Ostracize them. Boycott their businesses. Ridicule them whenever and wherever possible. Protest outside their homes.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/1/2015 8:29:47 AM
I don't think he will be extradited. We are talking about Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe here. It's not a place you want to send a citizen to face that justice system, and not a decision to be taken lightly.

Again, I don't know what American law is on this, but it would be better if he could be prosecuted under some American statute.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/1/2015 8:30:12 AM

Why no outrage directed towards Theo Bronkhorst, and Honest Trymore Ndlovu? Or the legal system that allows the big 5 to be killed for a price.

Because HERE is where we have the most influence... In Zimbabwe, not so much... I would have thought that was obvious... but I guess not... Besides, Zimbabwe is already addressing THOSE two... That might be why they aren't "in hiding"...
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 71
Posted: 8/2/2015 11:53:27 AM
Well... it looks like the dentist has company...

Cecil was 2nd protected lion killed by a U.S. hunter this year, Zimbabwe says

Another American illegally killed a lion with a bow and arrow in Zimbabwe several months ago, authorities said Sunday, amid an international outcry over the U.S. hunter accused of illegally killing a well-known lion named Cecil in early July.

Zimbabwe's National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority named the American as Jan Casimir Seski of Murrysville, Pa. Its statement said Seski's illegal hunt took place in April around Zimbabwe's Hwange National Park.

A Zimbabwean landowner, Headman Sibanda, was arrested in the Seski case and is assisting police, the wildlife authority said.

Seski is a gynecological oncologist who directs the Center for Bloodless Medicine and Surgery at Allegheny General Hospital.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cecil-was-2nd-protected-lion-killed-by-a-u-s-hunter-this-year-zimbabwe-says-1.3177273

And this one is a gynecological oncologist... Is there a pattern being revealed...?

But the irony of ironies is... "directs the Center for Bloodless Medicine and Surgery"...

I'm wondering just how "bloodless" his poaching was...?
 BadResponseGuy
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/2/2015 1:22:55 PM
"What mungo is clueless on is that any responsible hunter out there does not support this criminal. But mungo "shoots" from the hip, not knowing what the hell he is talking about."

This completely. There are hunters and there are hobbyists. Hunters kill so they can eat it and use as much of it as possible. Hobbyists kill just for the sake of their ego and have reference to make it look like they didn't just waste money.
 theleathernun
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2015 7:15:38 AM
Well, well, well ... still another highly-paid doctor out there killing protected lions.

This nun would like to turn these guys loose on Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán.

Put a bounty on that guy's head and triple it if a trophy hunter bags that one. They don't even have to kill him, just wound him.

My thought is though that no trophy hunter will want to be bothered with a target that could shoot back.

These freaks can't even be bothered to stalk their prey. They have someone else do that and lure it into shooting distance, then just stand back and pull a trigger on a high-powered bow.
 cotter
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2015 10:13:30 AM

This nun would like to turn these guys loose on Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán.

I think "El Chapo" would make mincemeat of those "trophy hunters".

They wouldn't be able to handle it ... like you said, they're used to someone luring their prey to them and they just stand back at a safe distance and shoot.

They only get close to it after it's dead and they can sit on it.
 11qq
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/5/2015 10:21:16 AM
yes! cowards all!!!

sort of like the ghouls and graverobbers of the Planned Parenthood abortion mills and their friends the insane left Liberals.

kill it then talk about the "fetal cadaver" on film while you're munching on a salad. the new America.

we should change our name like Bruce Jenner did! how about Frankenmerica?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Cecil the Lion’s Alleged Killer ...