Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Has a profile review ever worked for anyone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Zuglo65
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Has a profile review ever worked for anyone?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I asked for a profile review once..
Not everyone was helpful, some were quite rude..
I mean it's your opinion, and I can chose to agree, or disagree, and if I disagree shouldn't get mad !!
So, I used some advice, disregarded some.
It really didn't make much difference, but I DO know what's "wrong" with my profile.
It takes a like minded woman to understand it/ like it.
 sandytm
Msg: 27
Has a profile review ever worked for anyone?
Posted: 8/1/2015 9:15:44 AM
1. A pic in the john is highly overrated
2. More than one pic in the john with a weird face is just creepy.
 ohenryx
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2015 11:07:31 AM
Way back, when I first joined, I asked for a profile review. Turned into a critique of my haircut. Very strange place, profile review.

As others have said, take good pictures. Preferably outdoors, not indoors in a bathroom mirror. Show yourself smiling. And do NOT be negative, no matter what.

Really, that's about all there is to it. The pictures should get you in the door. The wrong words can get the door slammed in your face, and the right words can help, but aren't nearly as important as the pictures.
 LegendofPOF
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/1/2015 11:08:13 AM

2. More than one pic in the john with a weird face is just creepy.

Apparently I'm the exception for six different women on the main site.

If I use pictures outside they are all with different women. Can't help it if I'm social.
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/1/2015 11:17:31 AM

Most women will not care *where* the picture is taken if she finds the guys attractive. If she *does* care, she's probably a crotchety old broad that nobody wants to meet, anyway.
 Witnesstomythoughts
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/1/2015 11:26:53 AM

One helpful tip I got was that it's better to not actually be sitting ON the john.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2015 11:29:59 AM
Unless your pants is down and they like what they see!
 LegendofPOF
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/1/2015 12:49:03 PM

Most women will not care *where* the picture is taken if she finds the guys attractive. If she *does* care, she's probably a crotchety old broad that nobody wants to meet, anyway.

^^^This^^^

Same with profiles. Knowing several guys on here who write barely anything yet putting up pics in the gym etc. showing off their arms chest etc. (Not skinny or non toned shirtless) And seeing their POF inboxes, the sexts, private pics they've received from MANY women who claim on profiles to "not want" the shirtless, pervs etc, the meet up straight to each others place stories and on and on.

The best advice is for all men to hit the gym and get in their absolute best shape they can, dress and groom their best while using POF as a side option.

If each and every guy came back transformed overnight with well defined arms, a six pack, dressed and groomed their best in their pictures they'd see they wouldn't have to change diddly on their actual profiles and could send basic "hey what's going on let's meet up. messages and they'd magically get a LOT of replies from the same people who claim to just be on here looking for "serious relationships". Sure they are looking for a serious relationship but in the mean time responding to and dating etc. the top 10% in their areas they can get.

I heard it again from another new person I spoke with. Getting catfished. How are all these women getting catfished unless they are respond to WHO the stud they think is in the pictures?

POF may be a dating site. These days it's used as a hook up site for the vast majority on the main site no matter what they may claim in their profiles or if confronted. I've seen and heard it all way too many times from guys in different areas. They may not do it with myself or everyone but they will go with the tops in looks, physique etc.

Once they get to see a few of the tops in looks (whom are spamming everyone in their area) they then believe these are the only ones who qualify. Profiles be damned.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/1/2015 1:13:20 PM

Most women will not care *where* the picture is taken if she finds the guys attractive.

I'm sure Brad Pitt could get away with chicken grease stains...

Cotton candy, sweet and low, let me see that tootsie roll
Come on, tootsie roll, just make that tootsie roll
Here we go, tootsie roll, just make that tootsie roll

Yeah, tootsie roll
Let me see that tootsie roll
Get up and roll just make that tootsie roll

To the left, to the left, to the right, to the right
To the front, to the front, to the back, to the back
Now slide, slide, baby, slide, just slide, baby, slide
Just slide, baby, slide, come on, come on
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/1/2015 1:14:05 PM
moderate_recall:
We have some very astute experienced advice-givers here, like LH and a few others.

Thank you. Today I received a message from a woman: "I always love your level headed responses in the forums," she wrote. "I was wondering if you would help me with my profile. I value you opinion."

I spent an hour writing suggestions to improve her profile and photos. She had only one photo.

Her first paragraph was weak, meandering and confusing, an instant turnoff for men. “What is she saying?” was my first thought. "Your lead sentence needs to be strong and upbeat, grabbing men’s attention, and inspiring them to read further," I said.

As a suggestion, I rewrote her first paragraph in short, punchy, descriptive words that grab the reader. That was fun!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/1/2015 1:22:29 PM

Very strange place, profile review.

Indeed.
Bizarre stuff, mostly.

I asked for a profile review. Turned into a critique of my haircut.

No surprise there.

Lots of advice which ignores the current reality of online dating sites.

The liars and genetically gifted ones are the ones succeeding best in getting responses and meets.
Even the so-called "experts" admit that in their posts.
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/1/2015 2:50:12 PM

And seeing their POF inboxes, the sexts, private pics they've received from MANY women who claim on profiles to "not want" the shirtless, pervs

I've always found this stupid, as well. You have women who will stand in long a$$ lines to see movies like "Magic Mike" and post shirtless pics of their favorite actors on their Facebook pages, but for some odd and mysterious reason, they claim ("claim" being the operative word here) to be appalled by shirtless pics on POF. Utter nonsense.

I'm sure Brad Pitt could get away with chicken grease stains...

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the woman here on the forums who was unsure about the guy who showed up in a stained shirt? I want a follow up on that situation, dammit.
 Witnesstomythoughts
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/1/2015 2:55:23 PM

You have women who will stand in long a$$ lines to see movies like "Magic Mike" and post shirtless pics of their favorite actors on their Facebook pages, but for some odd and mysterious reason, they claim ("claim" being the operative word here) to be appalled by shirtless pics on POF.

Yeah, it's like if you're a celebrity then you've " earned " the right to feel good about yourself and show your assets but if you're just an avg Joe doing the same then it's like " ewww, how arrogant are you ? get lost "
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/1/2015 3:18:59 PM
Honestly, I think it could be they just don't like the idea of a guy showing off things that are guaranteed to create more competition. It's hilarious how some of them won't even acknowledge their hypocrisy in what I mentioned in my previous post, too.

Hell, I would post shirtless pics here if I could, and I wouldn't care who *claimed* to not like it.
 Peas_
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/1/2015 3:29:36 PM

Honestly, I think it could be they just don't like the idea of a guy showing off things that are guaranteed to create more competition. It's hilarious how some of them won't even acknowledge their hypocrisy in what I mentioned in my previous post, too.

Hell, I would post shirtless pics here if I could, and I wouldn't care who *claimed* to not like it.

bwahahaha, a challenge! *evil grin*

honestly, I love shirtless pics. But the rules are for no shirtless pics on POF. :-P

Also, I'll tell you a secret, I'm such a slutty woman....lmfao. I don't think it's fair that men are allowed to go shirtless in public. I mean, how do you guys not know that it drives certain women wild? Makes it difficult to keep hands to ourselves. That is teasing. I have a shirtless pic.....;)
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/1/2015 3:32:12 PM

bwahahaha, a challenge! *evil grin*

honestly, I love shirtless pics. But the rules are for no shirtless pics on POF. :-P

Also, I'll tell you a secret, I'm such a slutty woman....lmfao. I don't think it's fair that men are allowed to go shirtless in public. I mean, how do you guys not know that it drives certain women wild? Makes it difficult to keep hands to ourselves. That is teasing. I have a shirtless pic.....;)

I knew there was a reason I like you.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2015 3:35:12 PM
^^^^ I read about that, and they came to the conclusion that younger women didn't mind shirtless pics and even many appreciated them, on the younger guys of course who were fit .

The conclusion was that the older women were against shirtless pics, but probably because most guys over 35 were in a physical shape where showing off wasn't going to help.

Flaunt it if you got it! (on an ethnic site that I was on the highest rated pics tended to be guys shirtless wearing sunglasses)
 Witnesstomythoughts
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/1/2015 3:43:01 PM

Flaunt it if you got it!

Sure, if you just wanna get laid

HOWEVER, if you're looking for a meaningful relationship I don't recommend this, it just makes you feel like a piece of meat in the end.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/1/2015 4:44:42 PM
I could do a shirtless pic - you could see my two softball sized hernias.
 spot4username
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/1/2015 5:09:20 PM
I have no issue with shirtless photos. Truth in advertising is a good thing.

I also have no problem admitting I am a very visual person. I like what I like.

You wouldn't ever find me at those Magic movies or at a male strip show. Not my cup of tea.

On Topic: I used to respond to a lot of profile reviews. I still do on another forum. If the person is open I believe that sometimes it can be very helpful.
 LegendofPOF
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/1/2015 5:51:16 PM

Sure, if you just wanna get laid

HOWEVER, if you're looking for a meaningful relationship I don't recommend this, it just makes you feel like a piece of meat in the end.

Hate to say it but a lot of the women I've seen (in multiple pics AND vids) are nothing but jump offs. These guys know it and that's why word spreads throughout gyms and construction workers, business types etc. that POF is a gold mine if you are in great shape.

Heard stories of them doing coke etc. together, appalling living conditions, not working, doing filthy nasty things ATM all kinds of stuff. (And this isn't just reading sites talking about POF either.)

These "ladies" aren't innocent either.

Who in their right mind would want to take one of them as serious relationship material after seeing many many many pics etc they send out? The first thing that pops into a guys head is: "How many people did she send these pics to already? This person must not have serious employment or is grossly irresponsible." They keep their mouths shut, meet up, hit and quit. And I'm talking many times straight over to their place. No joke.

If there was ever an error that showed everyone these women's inboxes, who they are replying to, how many they delete (no matter how serious or what they write) when they talk to the buff gym dudes etc. many other regular guys would simply delete their accounts and not bother.

What happens is the gym guys talk, a lot join, they spam out anything. Women see a parade of shirtless cut up buff etc guys in their inboxes and then figure THESE are the guys I'm replying to. All the "no shirtless" etc. is weak reverse psychology. They'll delete all the undesirables and reply to the SAME men who they claim "not" to want. Notice how many people claim to be getting catfished? It ain't happening with an everyday guys pictures. It's the hottie in them.

I've seen it far too much from the main site. What they say on their profiles and in public is one thing. In private emails, texts, etc IS COMPLETELY another.

Now I get that people go for looks. No problem with that. But for dudes to fall for what they write as "Serious" or that the vast majority are really "quality"? GTFO. Yes they're looking for a serious relationship but being sampled till they find one.

Best thing is to work out in the gym, at home, get in your best shape and meet people who don't use OLD. Hell I've known about 8 or 9 women who have used, are using POF and every one was the WORST type of person any guy could ever hope to end up with. VERY attractive but SERIOUS SERIOUS issues and not nice people. Any other women I've known who isn't like them? Never seen using OLD once. They don't need to. There's no way IMO a woman especially attractive and normal cannot meet someone in real life and needs to join a virtual dive bar unless something is seriously up with her. All the women I've met and been in pictures with? Met in real life and were never on OLD. They don't need it. If I were to put up more pics? They're all with women in them, friends etc. Though that matters little as the people on here are going 95% at LEAST off how hot the guy is to them.

Though I know that most guys at least on the main site aren't the greatest innocent angels either at all.

As for myself? I ain't got time for that nonsense.
 Peas_
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/1/2015 6:05:56 PM
Wow, legend, you should check out the men photos in rating pics sometime. I delete a lot of d*ck pics that are really nice too. lmfao.
 LegendofPOF
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/1/2015 6:16:22 PM

Wow, legend, you should check out the men photos in rating pics sometime. I delete a lot of d*ck pics that are really nice too. lmfao.

I believe it. I've heard that from people on the main site. Makes you wonder the intelligence level of people on here, if they have any education, are grossly irresponsible, or even have decent employment.

Oh well. Let them have at it. LMAO
 Ouija2025
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/1/2015 6:25:52 PM
Henry said when he first joined, so that would be over 5 years.
idk, maybe they didn't like his hair?
However my understanding is that if one goes to delete their profile they get the suggestion to visit profile reviews.
Better to try and help and fail than sit on your behind doing FA and being smug about it imo.
 11qq
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/1/2015 10:44:01 PM
it's true!

The Literate Hiker can't be beat when it comes to putting together an irresistible profile. but it's her fresh as a daisy happy with life photos that seal the deal.

Our Hiker Lady has the best all around profile on POF!

I just put up a pretty catchy headline today myself. CHECK IT OUT.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Has a profile review ever worked for anyone?