Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Weird questions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Weird questionsPage 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

He amazed me by calling recently to say: "I stopped carrying a gun six months ago because I don't want to live in fear anymore. After getting rid of the gun, I feel spiritually lighter and more at peace in the world. Getting rid of the gun removed a weight off my mind, and physically off my body. I feel healthier and happier."

Many people who carry a loaded gun on them at all times and refuse to do otherwise when past any line of work where one can/should -- it's a cultural thing. If he had potentially threatening reason to anywhere and everywhere he went, carrying or not, I would see that kinda freaking almost any gal out. If you've been talking with him for so long, even if not so frequently, I would bet a Lot of money in Vegas that he's exaggerating what he told you -- especially with the way he told you. 6 months ago he had some spiritual awakening to not even Have a gun? I wouldn't buy that, but I would believe that he's not going to have one on him or anywhere around him when seeing ya, and he probably doesn't carry much these days anymore anyway (but felt he should add the fluff to warm ya up).

But he called and I answered and he acted like none of that weirdness had even happened. He even called me "babe" and told me he was so glad he finally had a girlfriend -- umm, what?

Why didn't you stop the conversation there and let him know you're not his GF or anything close to it... and him bringing up that other stuff before combined with this -- sorry pal, I'm not interested?

So he gets right to the point and asks me if I can deep-throat ... WTF? Did I just hear that? I told him no and that I had a very strong gag reflex.

Why are you playing along?! :) Maybe you found this kind of convo interesting despite turning you off in the sense of actually going out with him ever? :)

I was quite sick of hearing about how much practice it was going to take lol

So the topic was fine -- his stubbornness expressed about practice resolving all issues is what turned ya off, ok! For anyone who doesn't want a guy being like that, my advice is Not to play along... because if ya do, you can't really blame them for keeping it on that level after that.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 77
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 10:35:21 AM
At the risk of turning this into another gun control thread (which were banned here at one time because they get so weird), the proof would be that carrying a weapon is far more likely to get you or an innocent person killed than it is to offer protection.

There have been countless studies on it, and the Republicans in Congress actually banned the Health dept from any more studies on it, because every one of them showed that gun ownership is a huge risk.

Handguns are the worst means of self defence. They are wildly inaccurate, even in the hands of trained professionals, and in the heat of the moment are far more likely to kill a bystander than the person you want to threaten.

Now I'm waiting for the ubiquitous anecdote about how showing a gun prevented an assault. They always show up, and they're always the same story. Almost like the person posting was copying and pasting from somewhere that suggests making that argument.
 07songsungblue
Msg: 78
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 10:44:07 AM

"I stopped carrying a gun six months ago because I don't want to live in fear anymore. After getting rid of the gun, I feel spiritually lighter and more at peace in the world. Getting rid of the gun removed a weight off my mind, and physically off my body. I feel healthier and happier".

I think this is an example of someone telling you what you want to hear. And some fall for it, over and over again. People have been falling for the "I've changed" line for years and years.

As for the gun thing...you can argue that for pages on pages and it will go know where except to continue the argument. You can't change someone's mind on the gun debate so why bother.
 StarClassic
Msg: 79
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 10:51:48 AM

Only bad people need guns for protection because they go around making trouble.

And what if the trouble they are making involves pointing their gun at me? Or someone I love? Or someone I don't know from Jack Schit?

Seriously, that is one of the most ass backward things I have seen in print.
 antirepublican
Msg: 80
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 10:57:16 AM

Well we all know this is anti-republican simply raising another controversial opinion that cannot be proven.

It isn't about opinions. It isn't about controversy. Gun ownership is a moral absolute with no room for discussion. My function in all of this is to show people just how easy it is denounce wickedness. All that we have learned through discussion so far is that there are a lot of bad people in Florida. Surprise, surprise!

Liberals are rightly criticized for being too tolerant. They forgot that tolerance for evil is sin. They ameliorate; they equivocate; they foster corruption. This one doesn't. I don't blame them for aspiring to an ideal but I do blame them for defending it in the face of degeneration. Perhaps there are a few out there who just need reminders of what a better world is.
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 81
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 11:13:09 AM

It isn't about opinions. It isn't about controversy. Gun ownership is a moral absolute with no room for discussion. My function in all of this is to show people just how easy it is denounce wickedness. All that we have learned through discussion so far is that there are a lot of bad people in Florida. Surprise, surprise!

Liberals are rightly criticized for being too tolerant. They forgot that tolerance for evil is sin. They ameliorate; they equivocate; they foster corruption. This one doesn't. I don't blame them for aspiring to an ideal but I do blame them for defending it in the face of degeneration. Perhaps there are a few out there who just need reminders of what a better world is.

Hey, guess what? All the pretty multisyllabic words in the world aren't going to change the fact that you couldn't prove what I asked you to prove. So, what are we left with?? Your opinions. Not facts. But keep babbling like a buffoon. It's as amusing as I said it would be.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 11:26:21 AM

Handguns are the worst means of self defence. They are wildly inaccurate, even in the hands of trained professionals, and in the heat of the moment are far more likely to kill a bystander than the person you want to threaten.

Generally true, which is why long guns are usually better for home defense. But handguns have the advantage of conceal carry. There are jurisdictions( Las Vegas if I remember) where it is technically legal to wear a gun belt with a pistol in the holster like a cowboy. But I assure you local law enforcement will harass those doing it to the extent that it isn't worth it. That leaves getting a conceal carry permit. Those aren't easy to get in all jurisdictions, so it isn't the nut jobs generally, that are going around with legally concealed firearms.

That being said there are plenty of cases where a concealed gun carrier could have prevented mayhem. But one should always be ready to USE said firearm, just showing it is dangerous. I have prevented assaults( of myself) by SHOWING my gun. I taught a drunk bar patron that he should never bring a knife to a gun fight! I have had a loud mouth Guido suffering from road rage come up to my car and window with a baseball bat and quickly backing down to a Glock 19 pointed between his eyeballs!

So guns can stop escalation of violence, generally when your firepower is greater than their's is- muhahaha

After Sept 11 a bill was bought to congress to allow cops and retired cops on planes..armed. Not sure what happened to it.
Below are great times where a concealed carry could save lives:

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-07/news/mn-20653_1_police-officer
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/lirr-bloodbath-remembered-20-years-article-1.1539603
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/witnesses-to-a-stabbing-didnt-confront-killer-do-they-deserve-condemnation/2015/07/08/bc0c2f8e-25a4-11e5-b77f-eb13a215f593_story.html
 MissScawlett
Msg: 83
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 11:37:42 AM
Hey, I've got a great idea ... why don't y'all start a gun control thread? Thanks ;)
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 84
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 11:47:44 AM

They are wildly inaccurate, even in the hands of trained professionals, and in the heat of the moment are far more likely to kill a bystander than the person you want to threaten.

This another statement similar to all cops stick up for bad cops initially?

Wildly inaccurate? In the hands of an unqualified user yes. Trained professionals? Hardly.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 11:53:54 AM
^^I just assumed he meant that when we stuck up for Daniel Pantaleo !
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 86
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 12:02:05 PM
Actually, a study was done here in Canada.

A survey of times when Canadian police officers have had to fire their handguns, they only hit what they were aiming at 40% of the time.
 Moderate_Recall
Msg: 87
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 12:19:17 PM
40%? That's not bad for combat style shooting, not target shooting where you have much more time to aim.

With a clip of 15 rounds, that adds up to stopping the threat after about 3 shots, with plenty left for other tangos.

The last survey of common criminals likely gave their own accuracy at about 5%. Because their hands were shaking so much or the guns were held sideways or something.

VVV Fast moving tangos that can shoot back are almost impossible to hit with a handgun, unless you happen to be a regular handgun skeet shooter. Good thing they can rarely if ever hit you as well.

Most common scenario at major crime scenes with unplanned shooters escaping, many bullets fly but hardly anyone involved hit. Sometimes innocent victims farther away are.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 88
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 12:19:53 PM
Yea cause cops here tend to use a taser with deadly force.
I don't know how suddenly someone that packed heat for decades suddenly feels safe.. unless his basement crowded.
Gonna pull a gun best be ready to kill ( well unless you are a police officer) Gang members up here have terrible aim, I guess marksmanship isn't a requirement for joining

But back on topic - I swear the DT question wins a prize
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 89
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 12:24:47 PM

40%? That's not bad for combat style shooting, not target shooting where you have much more time to aim.

With a clip of 15 rounds, that adds up to stopping the threat after about 3 shots.

It's more like what happened here last year. An old client of mine was shot by his tenant and former employee downtown at mid day. There were cops around and as the shooter cycled away, they shot at him. Two cops, more than a dozen bullets as I recall on a crowded street (I know, the cops here will say that's a really bad idea. It was part of the coverage here too); not one of the bullets hit the guy they were aiming at.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 90
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 12:57:26 PM
I knew this would turn into a heated debate over gun control. I'm sorry I explained why I refused to meet him a year ago.

Me: I knew someone would ask me this. I didn't want to explain because gun nuts will go crazy attacking me.

Now I'm being mocked for believing him. He is being called a liar.

SunshineGirl: Yes, personal growth….he told you what you want to hear. Maybe now he carries a machete or a taser. She’s all about the conservatives when they flirt and flatter her.

In the heated debate, a voice of reason:

Siestabeachlover: OMG! Chill y'all before you have a stroke!

Let's get back to weird questions.
 Moderate_Recall
Msg: 91
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 1:01:01 PM
How about these questions from a near stranger?

1. Do you enjoy watching Horror movies?

2. Have you ever traveled through a foreign country all by yourself?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 1:14:37 PM

With a clip of 15 rounds, that adds up to stopping the threat after about 3 shots, with plenty left for other tangos.

The last survey of common criminals likely gave their own accuracy at about 5%. Because their hands were shaking so much or the guns were held sideways or something.

VVV Fast moving tangos that can shoot back are almost impossible to hit with a handgun, unless you happen to be a regular handgun skeet shooter. Good thing they can rarely if ever hit you as well.

Most common scenario at major crime scenes with unplanned shooters escaping, many bullets fly but hardly anyone involved hit. Sometimes innocent victims farther away are.

Agreed. I think we have only 40% when it is from 0-6 feet from the target in a combat scenario. Overall I think we scored like 30% (in one year it was under 20%)
But that is pretty good considering stress, combat, moving targets, etc.

And yes training is usually to get off 2-3 shots and re evaluate!

Most cases of innocents being hit I believe, is from our ricochets. A big problem in the transit system.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 1:25:18 PM

Two cops, more than a dozen bullets as I recall on a crowded street (I know, the cops here will say that's a really bad idea. It was part of the coverage here too); not one of the bullets hit the guy they were aiming at.

Yeah, but they weren't doing slap-shots with a puck. Results would have been different. ;)

I remember on an Operah-like show, they said when you're confronted by someone with a gun in the street -- RUN. The chances of them hitting you are small.

Plus, if you're the good guy, they rarely hit you (as seen in movies & tv shows). I don't think Steven Segal's ever been hit! So he must be one upstanding guy! ;)
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 94
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 1:32:49 PM

I remember on an Operah-like show, they said when you're confronted by someone with a gun in the street -- RUN. The chances of them hitting you are small.

Though guns may be successfully used in self-defense even when they are not fired, the evidence shows that their presence in the home makes a person more vulnerable, not less. Instead of keeping owners safer from harm, objective studies confirm that firearms in the home place owners and their families at greater risk. Research published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that living in a home where guns are kept increased an individual’s risk of death by homicide by between 40 and 170%. At least one study has found that carrying a firearm significantly increases a person’s risk of being shot in an assault; research published in the American Journal of Public Health reported that, even after adjusting for confounding factors, individuals who were in possession of a gun were about 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession
 _babblefish
Msg: 95
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 2:08:20 PM

How about these questions from a near stranger?
1. Do you enjoy watching Horror movies?

2. Have you ever traveled through a foreign country all by yourself?

Zzzzzzz

"Do you know how to shop for your man?" "Are you all about pleasing your man?" I think you get the gist.

. . .But maybe I'm being overly-sensitive

overly sensitive? I dunno, is that synonymous with prissy? not even gonna reply to the "backdoor" comment
by the persnickety princess

why didn't you have some fun with this? your comeuppance is sorely lacking
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 96
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 2:20:08 PM
LH: lots more people besides me said he was just telling you what you want to hear. Nobody cares.

They forgot that tolerance for evil is sin.

Owning a gun is a sin? Or just evil?

OP:
I even tried to explain to him how inappropriate it was but he wasn't having any of that.

How about hanging up on him?

Seems that since you’re so wishy washy looks like you’ll have to deep throat this guy and adopt a pit bull. Apparently you are incapable of standing up for yourself with anybody about anything.
 Maleman999
Msg: 97
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 2:46:49 PM
Where the heck are you people living, where you feel a need to carry a gun in order to go to the store to buy a loaf of bread or a quart of milk? Are you smoking funny stuff and think you have been beamed by Scotty to a war torn area of Syria or Iraq or some other third world country where people are randomly killed? I would rather not be in a constant state of paranoia, and I would move far away if I felt I needed to arm myself just to step out of my house, and arm myself to live in my house. Are you one of those guys that sits on their front porch in a rocking chair with a loaded shot gun on your lap at all times, with an old hound dog sleeping of the floor beside you? Why not go all of the way to protect yourself by getting a Sherman tank, a rocket launcher, a flame thrower, an arsenal of machine guns, etc? Protect yourself Rambo style.
 07songsungblue
Msg: 98
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 3:21:44 PM

Now I'm being mocked for believing him. He is being called a liar.

No, I didn't call him a liar. Plus, we can wait for two dates and you'll call him far worse. Or say he lied about knowing how to hike or cook or please you or his education or he did t wear proper attire.

How about hanging up on him?

Seems that since you’re so wishy washy looks like you’ll have to deep throat this guy and adopt a pit bull. Apparently you are incapable of standing up for yourself with anybody about anything.

I agree with the hanging up part. Where do you women find these people, I asked this before of another "older" poster who seems to constantly get these type of calls. I just have never had this experience online or in real life and I'm "older". They do make for good stories.

The adopt a pit bull comment was uncalled for. The poster started a thread, a new thread. Have any other regular started a thread lately? An interesting one? It's hard to start an interesting thread, especially when it's easier to criticize than ignore.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 99
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 3:23:47 PM
You know what else is crazy? Sometimes the exact same people ( I think the term is republicans) who are all "don't touch my guns" are the same people that don't want a universal health care system for their county. Huh. You'd think they'd want the health care in case they get shot.

On topic...just as well you moved on, OP. When one person thinks questions are weird and the other doesn't you might not be a match.
 tallish3243
Msg: 100
Weird questions
Posted: 8/4/2015 3:26:50 PM
^^^^^ No, they want a health care system for themselves, just not anybody else.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Weird questions