Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Life without health insurance      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 26
Life without health insurancePage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

If you don't have health insurance, does it affect your life choices?

Yes.
I avoid wrestling bears and jumping out of airplanes.

I haven't had health insurance for 15 years, I think maybe 1999.

25 years for me.

I get the feeling having health insurance is often more expensive than not having it.

It would be for me.

When I did some initial checking, it was at least $3500 a year.

and you can't do surgery.

Oh, really?
I have an exacto knife and a fireplace poker for cauterizing.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 27
Life without health insurance
Posted: 8/9/2015 3:32:25 PM

Oh, really?
I have an exacto knife and a fireplace poker for cauterizing.

:):) I did have an annoying skin tag that I cut off with a razor, not really major surgery.

DB lol if you care to comment, were you the one .....also way back when in stating in how to get many free benefits for your young bride, a non US citizen in that our government will cover most of the cost too here to live ? What your secrets for free coverage in manipulating the system???

Yes, that was me, but it's not exactly the way you remember it.

You do have to sign an affidavit of support where you are unconditionally financially responsible for someone you sponsor for a USA visa for at least 10 years. Unconditional means my wife could file for divorce, go on welfare / food stamps / medicaid, and the government would bill me for it's expenses. She could refuse to work, remain my wife and if she filed for Government benefits, I would be on the hook. IF at anytime she becomes a US citizen I am off that hook.

What I was saying was that If we had a child and I die, then my wife would get about $3,200 a month from SS survivors benefits. Up until the child reaches 18 years of age. Two children would be a max of about $3,800.

No children means my wife would have to reach retirement age (min about 62) to collect based on my SS. Though she will have SS earnings based on her own job history, she would get whichever one was higher.

The Government does offer free ESL English courses to anyone not speaking English, and there is free adult education classes. The ESL course goes up to freshman college English.

So if you are willing to sign an unconditional affidavit of support and you are lucky enough to die early with children, the Government will help take care of your family.

But then again, a lot of forum people seemed worried about paying for coffee and a meet and greet.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 3:41:37 PM

:):) I did have an annoying skin tag that I cut off with a razor, not really major surgery.

Dental floss works wonders there.

You do have to sign an affidavit of support where you are unconditially finanically responsible for someone you sponser for a USA visa for at least 10 years.

One has to wonder Trumps view on that!

What I was saying was that If we had a child and I die, then my wife would get about $3,200 a month from SS survivors benefits. Up until the child reaches 18 years of age. Two children would be a max of about $3,800.

Didn't realize you were disabled! Hope you have term life as well.

But then again, a lot of forum people seemed worred about paying for coffee and a meet and greet.

Perhaps that is why many choose not to pay for health care! meet and greet vs health insurance.
 07songsungblue
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/9/2015 3:44:09 PM
You do realize even vegetarians can have a heart attack? You do realize that a jogger can be in a bad car accident driving to work? All the low cal salad dressing in the world won't stop you from having cancer. How about your children? WTF...I'm healthy so I don't need health insurance??

I see all the time where a family is renting a home or apartment and there is a fire and they lose everything and then whine because they never had renters insurance or contents insurance. I own a condo and the condo complex is insured but I have to get my own insurance policy on my belongings (furniture, clothes, etc.) and it costs me $300.00 per year and my policy has a large jewelry allowance.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/9/2015 4:13:46 PM
If I was in my 20's my response would be different. At my age, I cannot afford not to have health insurance. It is better to have and not need it than to need and not have.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/9/2015 4:34:17 PM

I am going to assume you meant driving and drinking under the limit..right?

I used to drive after 2 bottles of beer... I'm pretty sure it's under the limit. That's my limit anyway, anything over that would make me sick. I only drink beer, no wine or liquor.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 4:46:58 PM
http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/#LinkURL

I am guessing you are 130 lbs , give or take! If you are out for a typical evening of 3 hours( not counting the 1 1/2 hour commute back and forth to the city) and you drink 2 beers...YES you can be considered "possibly impaired". NYC has traffic infractions for Driving while Ability Impaired...just thought I would let you know....it is a very subjective citation.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/9/2015 4:54:47 PM

NYC has traffic infractions for Driving while Ability Impaired

Thanks, I'll look it up.
 cotter
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 5:11:40 PM
NJgirl ... why would you drink and drive no matter what your health insurance status is?

Are you saying that it's okay to drink and drive if you have health insurance but not okay if you don't have health insurance?

It's okay to turn an automobile into a killing machine as long as you have health insurance? I don't understand your logic.

And once again, why don't you qualify for the ACA or medicaid?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 5:37:11 PM
I lost my health insurance several years ago now. Being my age, even though I am very healthy and never smoked, I can't afford it. The lowest quote I got was over $600 a month for ultra-basic, with massive deductibles. I had a choice between insurance and a place to live.

It hasn't changed my lifestyle at all, save that now when I am worried about my health, I have to decide whether to risk going to a doctor I can't afford or not. Usually I choose not. So far so good.

I really never led a dangerous life, so aside from considering the plethora of ever changing diet recommendations, there's nothing TO change.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/9/2015 6:08:32 PM
Igor

You should at least check out how much healthcare costs now with Gov subsidies.

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

adventurejoe
Dental floss works wonders there.

That was my first thought as well.

Unfortunately, this was an awkward location, high up inside upper thigh, hard to get at. I had to remove it because it was rubbing while bike riding.

The first attempt, I actually tried dental floss, but it got tied half way up the skin tag, then I couldn't untie it. I suppose I could have tried a second time with floss, but it was easier to pull on the dental floss and cut if off. It didn't really hurt.

I sure didn't want to go to a doctor with dental floss attached to my leg.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/9/2015 6:49:27 PM
Even if I just go to seattle for a few days, I get insurance. (most work insurance plans include it, but I don't have that).
Every now and then there's some news story about someone without it and they have some $20,000 bill or more for whatever incident they had.
$20 is worth it. And then when I go I think, I wonder if I have better coverage right now than some residents.
 8inscrew
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/9/2015 8:36:03 PM
Funny how I can get a million for property, for 200 a year.

But heath ins would be unattainable.
Well, 5 k a year with 5 k deductible, still only covering 60%.
Plus about 350 monthly for the kids... yes they get it.

That was the big govt fuss over obamacare?
At least now they have to insure me.
Before I didn't qualify.

Most of my property ins has a 500k limit for injury on premises.
That covers a broken jaw.
I'm exempt but employees get it all....

Most non relevant ins is cheap.

Dragon.... if I can doctor livestock.....
Vets and dentists make good friends here in the states.

rock climber's tape is better than silk.
bulk blades are cheap on ebay.

Med staff are required stupid hours.
Amtrak requires conductors to nap, but ER staff gets 18-24 hour shifts?

I'd rather a jeweler stitch me up than the ER doc.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2015 1:20:47 AM
Why not just get your arses over to the uk if you are feeling a bit iffy. Our health service is very generous to all and sundry. Whether or not you
survive in our over run, understaffed and manky hospitals is another thing.

For some reason we seem to have an obligation to everyone except our own citizens who wait months or years for surgery or get left in corridors
to be ignored and unfed. Take stafford as a wee example. And if YOU are in charge of the manky hospital you get suspended on full pay then get PROMOTED. Woo
trebles all round barmaid.

"The scandal came to national attention because of an investigation by the Healthcare Commission in 2008 into the operation of Stafford Hospital in Stafford, England. The commission was first alerted by the "apparently high mortality rates in patients admitted as emergencies".[2]

Many press reports suggested that because of the substandard care between 400 and 1200 more patients died between 2005 and 2008 than would be expected for the type of hospital,[3][4

As a result, the trust's chief executive, Martin Yeates, was suspended (with full pay), while its chairman, Toni Brisby, resigned

Some executives who had been responsible for the trust at the time received promotions within the health service and were loudly criticised.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stafford_Hospital_scandal

But hey no such problems if you are a health tourist. ROLL UP ROLL UP GET YOUR FREE HEALTHCARE HERE. ALL WELCOME.

"Health tourists: How much do they cost and who pays?
‘Deliberate’ use of the NHS—use by those who come here specifically to receive free treatment or who come for other reasons but take advantage of the system when they’re here—is hard to quantify. It’s thought to be very roughly between £110 million and £280 million a year.
‘Normal’ use of the NHS—by foreign visitors who’ve ended up being treated while in England—is estimated to cost about £1.8 billion a year.
The majority of these costs aren’t currently charged for. Only about £500 million is thought to be recoverable or chargeable at the moment."
https://fullfact.org/health/costs_health_tourism-37227
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/10/2015 1:36:11 AM

Many press reports suggested that because of the substandard care between 400 and 1200 more patients died between 2005 and 2008 than would be expected for the type of hospital,[3][4

Yeah but...

If the "foreign types" are "over-running" your country... clogging up the health system... at the exclusion of "your own"... "health tourists" and immigrants alike...

Wouldn't a lot... maybe even most... of those deaths be the very people you don't want there in the first place...?

You don't see that as "win/win"...?
 vlad dracul
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2015 2:12:20 AM
"Yeah but...

If the "foreign types" are "over-running" your country... clogging up the health system... at the exclusion of "your own"... "health tourists" and immigrants alike...

Wouldn't a lot... maybe even most... of those deaths be the very people you don't want there in the first place...?

You don't see that as "win/win"...?"

Now now shoutyjoe staffs is a wee bit away from the south east where lots and lots of our health tourists head for. So you are being a tad
hissy there geezer. I shall agree that citizens of the uk would be my priority. Johnny foreigner does not rate too highly on my careometer.

But spending billions of £'s on non health care contributing johnny foreigners is a tad excessive would even you not concede?

Like your win win jibe though. That was very chucklesome geezer. I'm still chortling.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2015 3:20:02 AM
Cant imagine it.WOW

Besides a roof over your head and food. Health ins is next.Everything else is gravy
Its "affordable" now to every one .
Get it and do with out that phone plan/cable or internet service.Turn down the ac or heat, get a crappy car, dont drink at all.Wear cheap clothes.
You can pick the plan for your budget.The gov now will aid you in that issue.

I don't even drink and drive anymore, those days are over.

Im sure everyone on the road thanks you.
Step up and get your prize.

IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2015 4:22:22 AM

Igor

You should at least check out how much healthcare costs now with Gov subsidies.

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

Unfortunately I live in one of the Red states, where the Republicans worked to prevent any subsidies from being available, as part of their effort to make the ACA even worse than it already was. No subsidies available for me. Just a tax penalty for being lower middle class and old.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/10/2015 4:33:50 AM
Igor,

The subsidies are a federal tax credit...it doesn't matter what state you live in.

Of course, if it's medicaid we're talking about, which is state run, then your state of residence does matter.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/10/2015 4:53:08 AM
Igor, the Supreme Court rules against the Virginia challenges.

I checked a zipcode in your state, 22009, if at your age you have a $ 25,000 income, you can get a bronze health plan for free. NO COST.

A silver health plan for $122.

I don't know your income, so I can't tell how much they would charge you, but YOU do get the same subsidies.

Go through the sign up process, it doesn't commit you to anything. Or find a free "facilitator" that will help with the online signup.
===============================================
The case started when four plaintiffs, all from Virginia, sued the Obama administration, saying the phrase meant that the law forbids the federal government to provide subsidies in states that do not have their own exchanges.

The plaintiffs challenged an Internal Revenue Service regulation that said subsidies were allowed whether the exchange was run by a state or by the federal government. They said the regulation was at odds with the Affordable Care Act.

In July, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, in Richmond, Va., ruled against the challengers.

The Supreme Court’s ruling was more forceful. “This is not a case for the I.R.S.,” Chief Justice Roberts wrote. “It is instead our task to determine the correct reading.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/26/us/obamacare-supreme-court.html?_r=0
 Brave_one
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/10/2015 5:38:58 AM

I see all the time where a family is renting a home or apartment and there is a fire and they lose everything and then whine because they never had renters insurance or contents insurance.

Yes, not to compare health ins to home owners ins etc.... but it’s just amazing in who many people have neither coverage. No Car ins another scary scenario.
Not having health ins. for my children when they lived at home...not happening on my watch, as they were protected & were covered.
I know its expensive , but lose or quality of life is paramount.

Lose of home... be it afire, storm, and the emotional traumatic. As it happened to me....not fun, but you can rebuild.

So if you ask me to live my life knowing that, to save money on life & limb, my home, my car etc with no ins...NO can do....
 dragonbytes
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/10/2015 6:25:53 AM
vlad dracul
Why not just get your arses over to the uk if you are feeling a bit iffy. Our health service is very generous to all and sundry. Whether or not you
survive in our over run, understaffed and manky hospitals is another thing.

Mon, donna yuh be all ginnal, yu a bait up di ting Me tinks, big tings, save me some cheddar.

Only hospitals are required to charge overseas visitors

The NHS was founded on the principle that it’s a service “free at the point of use” for those ordinarily resident in the UK. But foreign or migrant patients usually need to pay a fee for their treatment.

Only services provided in or linked to a hospital in England are required to charge for overseas visitors. This excludes services like A&E and walk-in centres.

https://fullfact.org/health/costs_health_tourism-37227

Mi an disappointed!
 tallish3243
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/10/2015 6:55:00 AM
Statistics have always shown that those without insurance were twice as likely to die from a serious illness as those with . .Cancer etc. is much more dangerous with out adequate and timely treatment.

But it is way expensive and I don't know how many in the middle class are paying for it if they are providing it for themselves..

For a family of four, an individual plan, I am paying about $1400 per month with a $5000.00 max out of pocket before the insurance kicks in, and this is not even under the ACA, as I am still grandfathered in under my old plan.

Under the ACA, for a reasonable plan coverage wise, my monthly premium would have been about $1650 per month, with a 6000.00 dollar deductible PER PERSON. So for the benefit of paying about $20,000 in premiums, we then have to exceed $6000 for one person BEFORE one dollar of insurance kicks in. I also noted under the ACA plan, I had many fewer providers I could choose from, and they had that damn gateway . . . which I will not tolerate.

I am all for everybody having insurance, but the ACA is a fricking disgrace. It is outrageously expensive for those of us paying for it out of pocket, and burden on small businesses who pay for it. I don't mind having only catastrophic insurance . . but I do mind paying $26,000 per year before I see one dollar of benefits. I believe we are heading for a one payer system like Medicare and probably the ACA was simply a prelude to that.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/10/2015 7:15:08 AM
That must be scary to not have health insurance. Here in Canada I pay $160 monthly, doesn't cover everything ( scrips, etc)
Dental plan for for a bit. I miss having the employers plan.
Is there not a basic plan in the USA you can enrol with?
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/10/2015 7:28:05 AM
msg 43

Unfortunately I live in one of the Red states, where the Republicans worked to prevent any subsidies from being available, as part of their effort to make the ACA even worse than it already was. No subsidies available for me. Just a tax penalty for being lower middle class and old.

Irish is right, the subsides come from the Feds, but if you qualify for Medicaid and can't get in your state then just move to NY, and you won't have a problem, especially of you have dependants.

post 48

I am all for everybody having insurance, but the ACA is a fricking disgrace. It is outrageously expensive for those of us paying for it out of pocket,

I'm not entirely happy with the ACA either, but to say it is "outrageously expensive" is outrageously ridiculous!
That is, when you compare it to the costs of commercial insurance pre-ACA, it is much cheaper
I'm not sure how your state is, but the cost of low tier plans are not high at all
In NY, a high tier plan without any deductibles (platinum) is approximately less expensive than its commercial counter-part, and even less expensive depending on what your subsidy runs.

burden on small businesses who pay for it.

It is not a burden at all, because it is FULLY tax deductible under the schedule of itemized deductions; and thus lowers your tax-burden; so unless your business is failing completely, you'd be stupid not to take advantage of it!

I believe we are heading for a one payer system like Medicare and probably the ACA was simply a prelude to that.

If it wasn't for the cut-throat GOP (shills for the greedy insurance companies) that tried to undermine the ACA from the start; we would all have the so-called "public option" meaning that we could have had the option to buy into Medicare from the start.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Life without health insurance