Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > AGE GAP      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 import_from_uk
Msg: 26
AGE GAPPage 2 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)

The real clincher for me and a big reason for this post/gripe, is a young lady and I were emailing each other and have/had interest... I had a birthday and now neither one of us is able to communicate with the other... I call BULL SHIT !

The +/- 14 year age gap restriction came in about 6-8 months ago, for sure. If you are super close to that limit which you imply if a recent birthday tips you over the filter, then once she has her birthday, you'll be able to get in touch again. But since you say you are near mid-60's, either this "young lady" isn't so young or you were communicating prior to this filter coming into effect and it's taken quite a while of radio silence to realize you can't continue communications. She's likely moved on now if that's the case.

BTW: MATCH and other sites do not have this age restriction

I don't follow the logic of this statement. If you mean they don't do it so POF shouldn't, then that makes no sense. Individual organizations separate their service from the pack by their differences, not by copying each other. I am in my 40's and although I respect that you don't feel someone my age is too young for you, the flip side of that is I don't want a 60+ year old partner. Some will feel the same, others won't. For me, this filter is a good thing. When someone is closer to my father's age than mine, that situation hold no interest. More so now than ever. As a younger woman, I'd have been less bothered by a large age gap but those approaching their retirement are (with all due respect) approaching a totally different phase of their life than I am.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 27
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 9:08:28 AM
Yeah OP, I agree Marcus is trying to create a nanny state!RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Now I CAN only get messages from 22 yr old's( once a 19 yr old) on OKC. This place is liked a gov't stocked fish pond.

*Eric your situation reminds me of the movie "Lady Hawk"! :P

*Now when I want to curse out one of the older/younger forum members I have to write a forum member in between our ages. :/
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 28
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 9:53:47 AM

MOONMOUNTAIN :
The real clincher for me and a big reason for this post/gripe, is a young lady and I were emailing each other and have/had interest... I had a birthday and now neither one of us is able to communicate with the other... I call BULL SHIT !

You would not be in this predicament if you had exchanged contact information; i.e., email address and or phone number when you were still emailing each other.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 29
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 9:59:45 AM
^^
Now I am pissed. Golden Gate Bridge? WTF?

The Verrazano Bridge is the longer bridge!

EDIT: below!
Huh?..not enough Orange people in Philly! :)
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 30
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 10:02:13 AM
I'll be heading to Staten Island this weekend!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 31
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 10:29:44 AM

I call bullshit as well.
This age gap thing went into place a couple of years ago.
Unless this happened then and you're just getting around to complaining?
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16028207.aspx

I agree people should be able to set their own parameters, but I understand why this was put into place.
I used to have my profile open to all ages because of the forum people, but I would get lots of messages from really
young guys.

It's been an ongoing thing people have ****ed about.

Do you really get a lot of mail from 40 year olds?
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 32
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 11:16:10 AM
LMAO, Maybe it's just me. I find this all to be rather funny.

An older (60^) man looking for a younger (40 something) woman. Yah OK,

(OK ladies, I just can't keep my evil laugh from emerging. )
It is a fact of life. Most adult females will reach an age (age 50, give or take 10 years.) of hormonal changes, whether surgically induced or naturally occurring.
The hormonal changes we often experience, /suffer thru, physical as well as emotional, can be minor, to O-M-G!
"Is it hot in here or just me?" LOL or
Alligator tears at the drop of a hat, or
"Oh hell no, you did not just say that! Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO bite!"

The under 50 age group of women. You know, the women who have not reached menopause YET?
It's not a question of IF it will happen. It is a question of WHEN!
OP, Whatever floats your boat. You can't say you were not warned. LOL

I'm still laughing!
(No ladies, this is not a jab at you, regardless of your age. It IS a jab at men who make a "BIG-to-do" over finding, /contacting, /searching for/ dating women over 14 years younger.)
 MissScawlett
Msg: 33
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 11:22:10 AM
"The real clincher for me and a big reason for this post/gripe, is a young lady and I were emailing each other and have/had interest... I had a birthday and now neither one of us is able to communicate with the other... I call BULL SHIT !"

If you were already communicating with someone POF wouldn't stop that communication. Maybe she blocked you?
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 34
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 11:48:17 AM
Yes....something isn't ringing true....the age perimeters were in effect for months now.
Either he's attention seeking or if he just isn't too aware....perhaps dementia? lol....
Plus, if it was any type of "interest" why haven't you exchanged numbers or regular e-mail.

Free site....the owner can do what he wants.
It didn't effect me any...other than the forum users....I wouldn't need to contact anyone that much younger.
I have daughters close to the age....you are talking about.
They would never take a guy serious as a potential mate with a 15 to 20 year age gap.
But....they had many options and weren't out to scam people. There's no fool like an old fool.
Good Luck!
 Ouija2025
Msg: 35
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 12:09:38 PM
As others have said you can always ask to get your money refunded.
Since it is clearly stated don't know why it took you quite so long to suss it out.. the policy has been in place for months.
Next time get the digits of the interested "young" woman.
Or maybe she didn't like your dessert suggestion :/
Refreshing to see a new topic LOL
 ohenryx
Msg: 36
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 12:30:19 PM
We seem to have a lot of math challenged people in here. And / or they’re not bothering to read.

Going back to the original post in this thread:

The real clincher for me and a big reason for this post/gripe, is a young lady and I were emailing each other and have/had interest... I had a birthday and now neither one of us is able to communicate with the other

The OP and the lady he was communicating with have different birthdays. For part of the year, they are 14 years apart, and can exchange messages. For the other part of the year, they are 15 years apart, and cannot exchange messages.

This was also elaborated on in message 7, by Eric:

.it all depends on where the birthdays reside on the calendar.
I have friend on here and we can't communicate a few months each year when we temporarily become 14 +/- for a bit.

Once one of us has a birthday, we can resume POF messaging.

I think Eric should have said “temporarily become 15 +” instead of “temporarily become 14 +”, but you should get the idea.

MissScawlett
If you were already communicating with someone POF wouldn't stop that communication.

Yes, they would, and they do. See above quote from Eric. And yes, it has happened to me as well.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 37
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 1:20:34 PM
OP you can always delete your current profile, recreate it and shave a year off your age. you have two weeks or something like that, after creating a profile, to correct your age. contact her, and then get her real email address or, you know, a phone number. easy peasy.
 Like2dance
Msg: 38
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 2:20:03 PM
My experience has been that on internet dating sites women in the 40 to 60 age range tend to mostly look for men plus or minus five years from their (alleged) profile age, which is usually anywhere from three to ten years younger than they really are. Thus, if a 60ish man is looking for an age appropriate woman, say 40 to 50 years old, he is wasting his time on the internet. In real life some 60ish men attract younger women; some do not. If he is one of the former he should not bother with the internet but get his butt off the couch and out the door.
 Like2dance
Msg: 39
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 2:34:27 PM
BTW, I know Ruidoso, NM. You are a very well traveled accomplished man and while Ruidoso is a nice small town in scenic mountainous terrain I seriously doubt that it is a great place to find hotties except among tourists. Alamogordo, Las Cruces, El Paso, T or C, Carlsbad and so on are all some distance away, a little far to seriously date someone living in one of those towns.

Best of luck to you!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 40
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 2:38:46 PM

, it wasnt being used 6 yrs ago when I was on POF.

Correct, it wasn't being used then.
OLD life was so much easier in the good old days.

The easy solution would be to default the mail setting to just allow 5 +/- years to users.
Simply provide instructions at time of registration on how to further expand or limit who can message each user.
It really is not that hard to adjust mail settings to what is best for each individual.

Now, now, you stop talking sense like that, Eric.

That would mean people actually taking some responsibility for themselves.
And we just can't have that in our current "everyone's a helpless victim" world.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 41
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 2:45:59 PM

Posted by Im_Right:
"...Looks like Mr. Goodytwoshoes is doing some cradle robbing, hehe..."

Incorrect.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 42
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 3:15:42 PM
Ladyinred, you had me laughing with your funny post about menopause! At age 61, I am done with menopause (the migraine headaches were awful) and happy to report:

1. Libido is still high;
2. Haven't dried up like an old prune;
3. High energy (as always);
4. Happy and optimistic (as usual); and
5. Still hiking, weightlifting and having fun in life.

My point is the OP should date women around his own age.

Love and kisses,

Hiking Goddess
 freudianslips4
Msg: 43
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 3:28:50 PM
Actually, people should be able to date who they want without an age restriction unless they themselves choose to restrict who contacts them. The man who posted this was not chasing a sixteen year old, she was a seemingly willing woman in her 40s. No big deal. Now he "should date women around his own age" or someone +/- 5 years because ??? Why? Because I don't agree with it or you don't agree with it? That seems stupid.
 Witnesstomythoughts
Msg: 44
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 3:33:19 PM
If I had a dollar for every time a lingerie model in her 20's sent me a msg saying something like " Sorry, I'm not really 36, but the age restrictions forced me to lie about my age ... "

Well, anyway, it is what it is I guess

* shrugs
 11qq
Msg: 45
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 3:59:19 PM
The Literate Hiker is what most men would LIKE to see in a woman in her 60's.
Our Sally Field look-a-like is beautiful, healthy, high energy and positive.

I've been out with quite a few in that age group who were worn out after two hours on the dance floor or who (unfortunately) needed help with their libido. that pink pill coming out has many experts skeptical and some say it's not safely tested yet.
 11qq
Msg: 46
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 4:41:43 PM
msg 33

im a dik head said:

Looks like Mr. Goodytwoshoes is doing some cradle robbing, hehe.

looks like you're a creepy perv.

recent profile. a troll who was banned. yawn.....
 22susie22
Msg: 47
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 6:08:50 PM

My experience has been that on internet dating sites women in the 40 to 60 age range tend to mostly look for mubn plus or minus five years from their (alleged) profile age, which is usually anywhere from three to ten years younger than they really are.

I half agree. Plus minus five years is my range too, but my stated age of 50 is really 50!

Thus, if a 60ish man is looking for an age appropriate woman, say 40 to 50 years old, he is wasting his time on the internet.

Do 60 year olds really think 40 year olds are age appropriate? If so, then I guess they think 80 year olds are also age appropriate!
 Ouija2025
Msg: 48
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 6:25:49 PM
But people CAN date whoever, what ever age they want.. they just can't msg people younger/older than 14 years here
Not like POF nailed the coffin shut
I am happy there is a cap...
I would narrow the darn thing
Don't wanna be bothered by a 24 year old, nor someone I fear will drop by 8 pm
LH is an excellent example of a vibrant woman ... yet the old horn dogs think they gonna hit it with someone 20 years their junior
 Blackwood85
Msg: 49
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 7:30:04 PM
Both Ouija and LH would be two females I find attractive now and I'm over 30 younger than both of the, I can understand finding whoever you want attractive but on POF it's not happening when it comes to age so you either deal with it or go use , they don't have an age cap, a damn woman who's 65 years old that had damn word Gilf in her screename sent me a message while I was visiting my friend in Vegas. While it's nice that 65 year old woman has a sex drive and exhibitionist side to her, for comparison's sake Nana is 68 years old. I'm not sleeping with a grandma who's only 3 years younger than Nana. But she had the ability to contact me so there are other options out there.
 gcdeb
Msg: 50
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 8/20/2015 7:44:48 PM
oops, it looks like I didn't post the link in my last post..

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16028207.aspx

Message 16 is from the site owner.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > AGE GAP