Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > AGE GAP      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 601
AGE GAPPage 25 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
"So basically, they are patronizing people who need a daddy?"

>>>of course--those are the people who spend money, usually foolishly.

I wouldn't mind hopping into bed with someone half my age. But, most women aren't interested, and "most" are the number who are paying the bills. So, its no surprise we don't want to creep out "most". So we just can't always get what we want.

want to meet young gals? go out in public, and watch the reaction you get. It might explain why there's a 14 yr age limit.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 602
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/7/2015 8:18:38 PM

A lot of young guys on here make themselves 10 years older in their profiles so they can contact older women, but I bet young women don't add 10 years to their age to contact older guys.

Then You'd lose that Bet.... I've seen profiles were Younger Women have added as much as 30 years to their Age.... They say in the Body of their profile, they like older men & list their real age....

Had them View My Profile, send Me emails, & say Yes on Meet me's.... I haven't responded to them, as IMO, they're looking for a Sugar Daddy.....
When I 1st joined, before the restrictions, I corresponded with one Young lady, 40 years my Junior..... She said she didn't feel safe Dating Men Her age.... After a while it became apparent, she had some other real issues...

want to meet young gals? go out in public, and watch the reaction you get. It might explain why there's a 14 yr age limit.

IDK, I've gone to some EDM Clubs with My Son & his Fiance... Had more than a Few 30 something Women hit on Me at those Clubs.... Yeah they had enough to Drink to lose their Inhibitions, but they weren't falling down drunk, either...

There's an Old Saying that may apply there....
"A drunk Man's words, are a Sober Man's Thoughts".......
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 603
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/7/2015 8:34:49 PM

Then You'd lose that Bet.... I've seen profiles were Younger Women have added as much as 30 years to their Age.... They say in the Body of their profile, they like older men & list their real age..

Exactly, I have seen it too. On other sites they don't bother since there is no age blocks.

Not sure where this belief that younger women don't like older guys comes from( I know POF forum members who do). Many do. Walk though NYC, and I suspect LA too( can't confirm) and I bet you will have your eyes open . On OKC I have had quite a few messages from 22-25 and my youngest admirer was 19 ( no I didn't meet her) and on my ethnic site you don't even wanna know(age differences are accepted). Women like what they like and if looking for fun, they could care less.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 604
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/7/2015 9:00:53 PM
The youngest guy to contact me on OK Cupid is 18. It's laughable:

"u sure are sexy"
"I've never been with an older woman"
"Do you want to be my fun active and naughty cougar?"

A 26 year-old guy offered immediate free airline tickets to Hilo, Hawaii where he lives. "I'm serious," he wrote. I was tempted to reply:

"I'll bring a three pack of binkies."

AS IF, to quote my daughter.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 605
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/7/2015 9:05:54 PM
LOL...its not a competition! ;)

But that is another thing. It seems like the guys who go for the older ladies are specifically making reference to the women being older from what forum posters report. When younger women do it they tend to NOT focus on the age difference. They treat you, for lack of a better word, as normal. At best they might say you don't look "such and such age", but that is even rare.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 606
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/7/2015 9:06:17 PM
The entitlement of men is incredible.
-------
Women expect men to contact them. If you don't like who contacts you, you are just as entitled to contact men instead.
 darkmoonrising02
Msg: 607
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/7/2015 9:47:54 PM
I still think that anyone who is old enough to use this site, or any other dating site, should set their own age parameters. It should be an automatic feature just like putting in height or eye colour.

I think many of us have had the far younger and far older contact us. How hard is it to delete an unwanted message? Why is it such a hardship to be contacted by some "old geezer" and delete, without even reading the message. It's like those posting with their breasts hanging out or posing in bikini's and then complaining about guys only contacting them for sex. It all makes no sense.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 608
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/7/2015 10:25:23 PM
AdventureJoe, you are hardly an "old geezer", and you are attractive. Of course you are going to get contacted by younger women. I'm talking about old, out of shape, unremarkable guys who think they are entitled to younger, in-shape women. It's annoying. When I re-created my current profile, I got 150 messages in the course of 36 hours, a lot of them from much older guys who clearly were not living a healthy lifestyle, which is one of my most important criteria. That's when I set my parameter for 50 as the oldest, as I have done in the past.
 theleathernun
Msg: 609
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/8/2015 3:47:04 AM

I've seen profiles were Younger Women have added as much as 30 years to their Age.... They say in the Body of their profile, they like older men & list their real age....

Where there is a will there is a way.

So many men think they look and act younger than their age

LMAO so funny yet true! The entitlement of men is incredible. 

Entitlement? Nah! More likely distorted self image and perception which affects both men and women.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 610
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/8/2015 4:24:29 AM
It's funny reading this thread and the full 360 it took back to the original topic is amazing, I'm honestly impressed and it's great seeing subconsciously or consciously compete with each other over the amount of younger people sending them messages.

"Oh yea I had 21 year old sending me a message about wanting to have sex."
"Oh, this girl who was 19, big boobs, bubble butt ass sent me a message.
"That's nothing this 18 year old guy, 6 pack abs, glistening in the sun sent me a message"

Never change POF.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 611
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/8/2015 8:40:40 AM

POF grew with leaps and bounds but now POF has placed a censorship on their site to limit who you can and cannot contact. I was told that I could only contact those 14 yrs older or younger than myself

Please contact POF and demand a refund. The site is free afterall, so there should be no problem.
 gtomustang
Msg: 612
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/8/2015 9:22:07 AM
I do know that there are SOME younger women who prefer older guys. Used to work w/ a 50 yr old guy, a potbellied version of Ben Franklin, who had an 18 yr old gf. Her aunt used her as cover for picking up young guys. needless to say, her family was a bit odd, and he was normal in comparison. A good daddy figure.

there are some younger women who prefer an older man, b/c they are mature for their age (in some ways) and want a guy who isn't going to consider McDonalds a restaurant.

but most young hotties...want someone they can impress their friends with, among other requirements. dating their dad usually results in derision.
 ohenryx
Msg: 613
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/8/2015 11:25:53 AM

adventurejoe70
But that is another thing. It seems like the guys who go for the older ladies are specifically making reference to the women being older from what forum posters report. When younger women do it they tend to NOT focus on the age difference. They treat you, for lack of a better word, as normal. At best they might say you don't look "such and such age", but that is even rare.

+1
I have definitely seen this myself. When younger women contact me, or respond to my overtures in real life, they never mention my age. When / if I ask them, they usually say something like, “We have fun, who cares?”

gtomustang
there are some younger women who prefer an older man, b/c they are mature for their age (in some ways) and want a guy who isn't going to consider McDonalds a restaurant.

but most young hotties...want someone they can impress their friends with, among other requirements. dating their dad usually results in derision.

Gto, I had to do a quick check on your age when I read that. Yeah, you’re only 45, so to you “younger woman” would probably mean in her 20’s. And women in their 20’s are usually trying to impress their girl friends. And let me tell you, I am so glad to be past that, past ever again dating a women and having to impress her girl friends. To me, a younger woman is in her 40s or early 50s.
 Maleman999
Msg: 614
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/8/2015 1:00:52 PM

POF has placed a censorship on their site to limit who you can and cannot contact. I was told that I could only contact those 14 yrs older or younger than myself.

I wonder why they picked plus/minus 14 as the cut-off point. I can see it with maybe a 20 or 25 year difference if they feel a need to add restrictions, but what's so magical about 14?
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 615
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 8:49:59 AM

..............what's so magical about 14?

It's one step past REALLY bad luck?
 dragonbytes
Msg: 616
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 8:53:20 AM

..............what's so magical about 14?

It's one step past REALLY bad luck?

I never considered that aspect. But does that mean getting far, far way away from the unlucky 13 is really good?
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 617
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 8:58:02 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-denham/plenty-of-fish-age-difference_b_3381808.html

Interview With Markus Frind, Founder and CEO of Plenty of Fish
Posted: 06/06/2013

"Wanna come over for a good time?"

This was the one and only line I received from one guy whose picture I suspected was fake based on his resemblance to a male model posing for an underwear ad.

"Myopic."

This was the word used to describe me when I told a 65-year-old man that he was too old for me (I was probably 36 at the time).

I actually replied to Mr. Wanna Come Over to ask if this ever actually worked for him. He said, "you tell me." The Old Guy argued that he had been medically tested and while he was biologically 65, he was physiologically 35, and I would be lucky to keep up with him. Yes, that would make all the difference... or not. I eventually learned just to hit delete.

As many of you online daters know, these types of emails are BIG RED FLAGS. Neither of these men was looking for real relationships. They were after the one thing your dad always warned you about. And they weren't even subtle about it.

Markus Frind, Founder and CEO of Plenty of Fish, the world's largest dating website, is trying to eliminate those on his website who are looking to hook up rather than to find a real relationship. While the number of his online subscribers looking only to hook up is less than one percent, according to Frind, it is something he is working to change.

"We wanted to generate more relationships among women, and men for that matter," Frind, said, "and the best way to do that was eliminate this kind of behavior."

On May 20, 2013, Frind sent an email to all his subscribers detailing the changes he planned. The list included deleting first contact between users that contained sexual references, disallowing contact between users with greater than a 14-year age difference and elimination of the "Intimate Encounters" category of dating,

Frind attributes the recent increase in hook up offers to the increase in mobile application use.

"There is no question about that," he said. "We went from 20 percent mobile to 70 percent in a year-and-a-half."

Frind relayed that the mobile app use is later at night and more casual with more condensed messages.

"They use it casually on the train somewhere. Everything is a very short message. You can't consume as much information," Frind said. "It just makes you use it differently. It generates a different kind of perception, a different kind of feel."

One way Frind is eliminating hook up seeking is by using automated systems to flag and delete sexually provocative emails.

"When men send messages, they try to do it in the minimum amount of words possible," Frind noted. "So what they do is use certain combinations of words. So you pick 30 words and you block those words and you solve the problem."

To further reduce the number of men emailing women to try to hook up, Frind has eliminated the "Intimate Encounter" category of dating from his site. According to his email, out of 3.3 million who use the site daily, only 6,041 women are using the site for intimate encounters. He adds in the email that "of those 6,041 women, the ones with hot pictures are mostly men pretending to be women." Interestingly, the ratio of men to women signed up in "Intimate Encounters" was 20 to 1.

"Intimate Encounters on POF can be summed up as a bunch of horny men talking to a bunch of horny men pretending to be women," Frind wrote.

(lol, markus does have a great sense of humor)

Frind has also implemented a policy that applies to men but not women.

"We blocked the ability of men to send photos to women because men were misbehaving in some photos. We were just like, forget this, get them to know each other, let them go out on a date," he said noting that women can still send pictures to men.

Another way POF is trying to encourage real relationships is to block communication between men and women who have greater than a 14-year age difference. According to Frind, POF generates hundreds of thousands of relationships, and when subscribers leave the site, they let POF know who they left with.

"We found that virtually none of them were plus or minus 10 to 12 years. Outside of that range, there was a very, very low chance of a relationship," Frind related. "And if there is a chance for a relationship, the break-up rate is triple."

Frind has begun blocking behaviors that are counter to finding relationships in order to generate more real relationships.

"Funny thing is that you learn if you change the sign-up process slightly, you change a few things here and there, and all of the sudden the way people behave just dramatically changes. The way they write profiles, everything is just completely different," Frind observed. "So ...we have to optimize for the community to get it as large as possible and the best way to do that is to generate a lot of relationships."

Frind says feedback from his recent email and changes to the site has been overwhelmingly favorable. He received more than 150,000 within 12 hours of sending his email to subscribers from both women and men. Women thanked him for the improvements and men thanked him for cleaning up the site and eliminating some of their competition.

"For the most part, everyone was very, very happy," Frind concluded.

As a former Plenty of Fish subscriber (who left because I caught my fish), I experienced my fair share of undesirable offers. The new policies implemented by Mr. Frind are certain to make for happier hunting, I mean fishing. They can't guarantee that you will catch a keeper, but you should have fewer wasted trips.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 618
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 9:15:50 AM

Another way POF is trying to encourage real relationships is to block communication between men and women who have greater than a 14-year age difference. According to Frind, POF generates hundreds of thousands of relationships, and when subscribers leave the site, they let POF know who they left with.

"We found that virtually none of them were plus or minus 10 to 12 years. Outside of that range, there was a very, very low chance of a relationship," Frind related. "And if there is a chance for a relationship, the break-up rate is triple."

So like I said before it's all about demographics, stats and money, in order to appease more women and to keep younger women on the site they implemented the 14 year feature.

We can argue that it should be optional but so should men being able to send women photos, a woman should be able to decide if she wants a guy to send her photos or not for example I recently spoke to a girl on here and my photos automatically uploaded to her inbox which is a feature she wanted which in a way is a bit of invasion of my privacy not that I minded because they're just the same photos that are in my POF profile which makes me wonder why she has that feature in the first place, how hard is it to scroll through my photos?

At the end of the day, money talks if people are truly upset they'll leave and the features will be removed. Businesses can only appease women so much until they turn away the demographic that's bringing women there.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 619
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 9:20:56 AM

So like I said before it's all about demographics, stats and money,

did you think markus was setting up POF as a charity?

but so should men being able to send women photos,

what? men are perfectly free to send women photos here. the only thing they *can't* do is send private pics attached to their profiles. so sorry that there were so many d1ck bags on this site who ruined it for all the nice guys

At the end of the day, money talks if people are truly upset they'll leave and the features will be removed.

i haven't looked at that crying towel thread in a while, but i'll bet if i did that most of the people who were 'upset' are still here
 dragonbytes
Msg: 620
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 9:22:23 AM

According to Frind, POF generates hundreds of thousands of relationships, and when subscribers leave the site, they let POF know who they left with.

Statistically I agree with Frind. The ultimate relationship is marriage, and marriage is the only relationship that is easy to survey for.

I think it's like 1-2% of marriages have a greater than 14 year age gap, and the closer two people are in age the higher the percentage of marriages there were.

I would have implemented the age gap in a different way, this just creates an incentive to create a fake age in one's profile.

But I can't disagree with the logic.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 621
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 11:14:12 AM
did you think markus was setting up POF as a charity?
-------------
Of course not, but making matches loses money.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 622
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 11:26:03 AM

Russian actor Ivan Krasko, 84, marries 24-year-old woman, says age doesn’t matter :

A famous 84-year-old Russian actor tied the knot with a woman less than half his age in a secret wedding ceremony Wednesday, according to local reports.

Shevel is 60 years younger than her husband, but age is just a number for the happy honeymooners, Krasko said.

"For us it does not matter," he said. "She is very intelligent, strong and strong-willed. We have the same intellectual, emotional and spiritual level."

The legendary actor plans to start a family with his new bride, but admits it's an "elderly idiot's dream."

It's the fourth marriage for Krasko, a father of six who turns 85 in two weeks.

The beautiful bride can be seen beaming in photos as she smooches and holds hands with her new husband during their big day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/russian-actor-ivan-krasko-84-marries-24-year-old-woman-article-1.2355138
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 623
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 11:27:37 AM
^^^
Wonder if she's a new beneficiary now?
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 624
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 11:37:24 AM
Rumor has it that TLC will be filming a new reality show in Russia called....Krasko/Shevel Plus 8
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 625
view profile
History
AGE GAP
Posted: 9/10/2015 11:43:17 AM
Age differences in Continental Europe tend to be more accepted than here , especially in Eastern Europe where the societies are still traditional. I always say the more Orthodox Christian she is the more likely she will accept a daddy ;P
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > AGE GAP