Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Unsolicited beauty advice ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 StarClassic
Msg: 25
Unsolicited beauty advice ...Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Yes ... I grow my hair out because I like it long. At the point in which I get enough length on it (about 20 inches) then I cut off the length needed in order to donate it to Locks of Love. For those who do not know about it ...
Locks of Love is a non-profit charity based in the United States. The organization accepts donations of human hair and money with the stated intention of making wigs for Canadian and American children in need due to medical conditions that have caused them to permanently lose their hair.

My hair is baby fine and has natural waves/curls. During this last move I made, I discovered a baggie full of hair from my children ... long pony tails we had cut off over the years ... and they too will be donated.

Cotter, you and I have been at odds before. And I know this doesn't mean much, but you just earned quite a measure of respect from me.
My mother was a cancer survivor. She was one of few who kicked mesothelioma's ass. Cancer free for nearly a year before complications on her leg amputation claimed her. It wasn't from LOL, but she received a natural wig from some organization and it meant the world to her to feel real hair against her face and neck.
Like you, I've donated my pony ( several times) when it reached mid back/belt length. The idea of some unknown child not suffering the stares and pointing is well worth wearing my hair high and tight for a few months.

Damn, there's dust in the air today.
I'm going to remember this when I respond to your arrogant, insolent, asinine, self centered posts in the future. This worn out old saddle bum's hat is off to you young lady.
 7seatac
Msg: 26
Unsolicited beauty advice ...
Posted: 8/27/2015 11:07:00 AM
Speaking of attractive people who have admitted to "having a little work done on my face", what happened to 11qq or Tom da Bomb. He's been nuked as well, he did not self delete. Why are people having other's removed. This is juvenile.

Scawlett, you're beautiful, inside and out. Don't worry about it.
 StarClassic
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/27/2015 11:36:29 AM

he did not self delete. Why are people having other's removed. This is juvenile.

+100. Juvenile.
They can't handle the competition (alternate opinion).
I've locked horns with some, both forums and PM, surprised I haven't been nuked.
Tom has balls that clang. He'll be back.
 Mr_J_Cash
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/27/2015 11:52:09 AM

what happened to 11qq or Tom da Bomb

I wonder if he moved back to Youngstown to hear himself on the local radio talk shows???

I too noticed his post to this thread was the last one under that name. I don't know about clanging balls, but he'll surely be back. This isn't his first boot from the place. He always bounces right back without any bumps or bruises to show for it.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/27/2015 11:58:23 AM
You are a beautiful woman.

Telling you that you need plastic surgery is unbelievably cruel and rude. Please report this person for sending you an abusive message.

In "How To Be a Woman," I love what Caitlin Moran says about the relentless pressure on women to remain young, moist and desirable:

“So. Yes. We're all dying. We're all crumbling into the void, one cell at a time. We are disintegrating like sugar cubes in champagne. But only women have to pretend it isn't happening.

"Fifty-something men wander around with their guts flopped over their waistbands and their faces looking like a busted tramp's mattress in an underpass. They sprout nasal hair and chasm-like wrinkles, and go 'Ooof!' whenever they stand up or sit down.

"Men visibly age, every day -- but women are supposed to stop the decline at around 37, 38, and live out the next 30 or 40 years in some magical bubble where their hair is still shiny and chestnut, their face unlined, their lips puffy, and their tits up on the top third of the ribcage.”

From the hilarious book, "How to Be a Woman" by Caitlin Moran
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/27/2015 1:02:43 PM

I recently got an email from a regular forum poster who took it upon herself to scrutinize my picture and told me in no uncertain terms how much I could improve my appearance and my life in general by getting a facelift! She even told me about all the procedures she’d had – and there were a bunch

telling a person who hasn't asked--just mean & rude!

I didn’t ask for a profile or picture review.

Makes it all the more odd.

The reason I was so taken aback by this unwanted advice is because she knows nothing about me or my life. She’s completely unaware that I almost died after a liver transplant in 2004 and after being hospitalized many, many times pre-transplant and being in the ICU for 6 months post-transplant, a hospital is the last place on earth I’d voluntarily re-enter – not even for a free facelift. A second chance at life isn't granted to most people. I’m just happy and grateful to be alive. And it’s the kind of happiness a gallon of botox or a facelift can’t buy – it comes from within.
That is a great attitude to have!

Has anyone else received unsolicited beauty advice from a random stranger and how did you handle it?

Not a random stranger, but a year ago a fake profile w/ a picture of "Nanny McPhee" emailed me to mock me about my lip to gum ratio when I smile plus to mock my body AFTER I lost a big chunk of weight. Said person self nuked after
mailing me.

Sounds like a passive-agressive mean girl dig by her.

yes

I'm guessing the little "angel" was just trying to help....

no, not me, but thank you for suggesting I look like I had a facelift when I am untouched facially ;0P

a person would understand that providing unsolicited (and unwarranted may I add) advice such as this is just plain stupid, no matter if the intent was to drum up business to get referral fees or not.

Chinese soup

That was truly a rude thing for someone contact you with. Almost unbelievable.
click on the "Report this message for inappropriate content" link in the message she sent you.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/27/2015 3:27:17 PM

Speaking of attractive people who have admitted to "having a little work done on my face", what happened to 11qq or Tom da Bomb. He's been nuked as well, he did not self delete. Why are people having other's removed. This is juvenile.

How are you able to rule out that creepy uncle tom might have been doing something that got his profile deleted?

Though defending someone like that under and then calling it juvenile, is a special kind of irony.
 mjinict
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2015 4:04:44 PM
^^^Some people have their favs on here, don'tcha know? Isn't that right Blue?

Men may not get the beauty criticisms women do, but can they stand from sitting on the floor with arms folded as well?
 daynadaze
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2015 4:30:17 PM
Tom got nuked? Well he does love to push buttons and get a reaction, but I've always thought he comes & goes as he pleases. How do you know he got nuked?
 slothlover_007
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/27/2015 5:07:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear =( Don't pay attention to negative things, just delete and block. You should do what is best for you and feel happiest with. As far as your question, yes, when I was around 18...I worked as a server at a restaurant while paying for school. This bartender there told me randomly one night that I should get breast implants. I remember I said 'what?" started laughing and walked away. I think I left her more confused than anything because from then on she'd give me odd looks lolol. I did not get breast implants because I was happy with my body naturally as I am now. I could use that money for something else which I did- a trip with my cousins to California. I didn't want to deal with negative consequences and be deformed. And finally, I have a small frame being 5'o.... D's or DD's would make me look ridiculous.
Another time, when I was 24 this guy at the gym told me I'd look so much more attractive if I grew my hair down to my waist. This was so random because I wasn't even dating him? I was having a conversation with him about the memberships. I remember I replied with, 'If I grow it that long, will my membership be free?" lol. I had my hair above my shoulders at that time, so I kept it short for 6 yrs haha. I finally recently grew it a little longer.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/27/2015 6:28:04 PM
"You would look much better if you gained 20 to 25 pounds," a 74 year-old man said in the YMCA weight room. "You would have bigger breasts and hips."

"I like my body," I retorted. "Like everyone else, if I gain two pounds it goes right to my midsection."

He has told me to gain weight many times over the years. What an intrusive, critical and insensitive man!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2015 6:57:54 PM
I've received unsolicited advice since I was a wee tyke. Not much in the beauty department, but there it is.

I'm the think too much type, as well as the observe like a spy type, so I've noticed a number of different motivations. In my experience at least, negative intentions are actually the most rare. Especially when the advice is given privately (as in emails).

More commonly, there's the thing someone else mentioned earlier, the "new convert" effect, where someone is eager to share their own good fortune.

Even more common, are the people who advise others energetically, primarily as a way to reinforce their own sensibilities. I would bet on this reason, especially with something like plastic surgery.

Because plastic surgery is especially psychologically controversial. A lot of people get it, but a lot of people make fun of those who do, as we see here, calling them vain, self-worshiping, even delusional. Who needs reassurance more than they? So they try to get others to join them, so they wont feel guilty.

Some of it I also attribute to something I notices about Americans a long time ago: we are encouraged from the time we are extremely young, to be salesmen and women. most of us here grew up on TV and radio commercials. Think and observe, how so many of them have as a plot, that some "every day" American, just like you, proves to their friends and admirers alike, that they are smart, sassy, and ready to live the high life...because they SELL A FRIEND on whatever product or service the commercials are flogging. That may not be the primary intent of the commercial writers, I expect they intended to simply and clumsily show how an "everyman/woman" will succeed, if they are just willing to fork over that relatively small pile of cash.
 shirleywonton01
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/27/2015 10:45:31 PM
As some have ASSumed, it wasn't me either BUT you folks need to get with the times and pull your wrinkled old faces out of the sand. Sorry I couldn't help myself. But seriously when I hear someone complain about getting old and not feeling pretty anymore blah blah blah I am tempted to suggest a little tuck or two but don't. Too many old farts have bought into the pathetic stigma about cosmetic surgery and have very judgemental negative attitudes like the OP.

I think all you folks with bitter attitudes should forego any type of cosmetic dentistry at all, even those who had braces which by the way is mostly a cosmetic procedure. What's a missing tooth here or there to those who abhor any type of cosmetic cover up? Come on folks, grow old gracefully as you claim.

Stay away from make up too, it is clearly COSMETIC. I rarely wear it or jewelry. Add to that fashion clothing and heels, which basically fall under the same category.

And for the record, most surgical cosmetic procedures including a full face lift are rarely done in hospital settings anymore. In an out procedures at the doctors office. I choose to be very conservative with my lifts and such, less is more. But that less is a heck of a lot of fun. Even Cleopatra enjoyed her tucks!
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/27/2015 11:14:18 PM
^^^
I think your posts induce my flatulence.

Lifting my leg...
 8inscrew
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/28/2015 2:41:10 AM
As a man who gets his face redun every few years....
I see no problem with needing or getting work done.
I usually walk in with a handful of bones and teeth.
Country luvin. Iron rider. Hell... my new one is made of diamonds.. way better than original.

Septum deviation no longer hurts after cauterization.
Same with all bones after a few times.
I use pencils backwards in the shower.
It's messy but not painful.

The first time they wanted 17k.
I paid. They oscilliscoped the canal beginnings.
I still snore.
 kj521
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/28/2015 7:09:23 AM
Miss Scawlett....

"A second chance at life isn't granted to most people."

No...it isn't and it sure has a way of changing ones' perspective on a lot of things in Life.
Enjoy each moment you have been given with the knowledge that you now possess the gift of true beauty. :)

Igor.....as usual you are always spot on and I always enjoy your posts.

And Ms. Pork Dumpling....

Based on your postings....I don't think you are a very nice person. That's it. :)

VVVV Ms. Motown? I just love when you use that angle emoji! :D
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/28/2015 7:15:18 AM
doesn't pork dumpling have some nip & tuck advice for the gay people?
 daynadaze
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2015 8:47:11 AM
pork dumpling, dammit, I never seem to be able to keep up, who the heck is pork dumpling? LOL

Unless they come up with a full body restoration, I'm not interested, a nip & tuck would be like putting shiny chrome wheels on a rusted out Rambler. The truth is, if someone doesn't like the way I've aged so very ungracefully, they can look elsewhere, I'm not alive to live up to their expectations. There is no crime in being fat & ugly.
 7seatac
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/28/2015 9:24:38 AM

doesn't pork dumpling have some nip & tuck advice for the gay people?

Too funny, I'm sure she does. I'm sure she also has a way to make people with Down Syndrome look less....Down.

I think your posts induce my flatulence.

Lifting my leg...

I think she's gas inducing for more than a few. And makes the gag reflex kick in as well.
 shirleywonton01
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/28/2015 2:17:55 PM
^^^What did I say? Was it bitter negative people with attitudes? Thanks for outing yourselves with the usual crass remarks.....the cyber bullies of pof.
 7seatac
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/28/2015 3:39:58 PM
^^^

When brain damage is involved you can see variable behavior patterns. A friends Down syndrome daughter just punched her in the chest and busted her implant. $25K is the lowest estimate and coming out of her retirement plan since insurance won't cover it. I don't trust that kid and curb my socializing with my friend to avoid her. Oh yeah, she'll go for a decade and be sweet as heck then turn on ya for a few years then back to sweet.
My 2 friends with DS children suffer with stress issues that have ruined their marriages and dating life.
In Europe it is considered unconscionable not to abort if DS comes up in testing. The economic drain on society is enormous as well as ruining the parents life. But hey it's all about free will as long as your society will pick up the tab. What ever floats yet boat.

I think some just remember posts like this and more. Plus your posts and rants about gays, transsexuals and transgendered people. Plus your posts about the man and is daughter and how now it's "incestuous" and you're telling all your friends. Oh, there's more, a lot more. So no, the few above don't have negative attitudes nor are they cyber bullies. They just wonder what is rattling around in your grey matter that makes you so...you. Apparently it makes a few gassy.
 earwigs_have_wings
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/28/2015 7:02:08 PM

More commonly, there's the thing someone else mentioned earlier, the "new convert" effect, where someone is eager to share their own good fortune.

Even more common, are the people who advise others energetically, primarily as a way to reinforce their own sensibilities. I would bet on this reason, especially with something like plastic surgery.

Agreed. I don't think the woman was being callous and may have felt like giving advice to others to help them feel the way she does. However, she doesn't realize that most people like themselves inside and out and don't feel the need to change which means changing themselves would not make them feel the way she does.

Unsolicited advice given to me:

1) You'd look better if you cut your hair mentioned quite a few times (this is when it was really long -- it isn't anymore).
2) You'd look better with makeup.
3) You'd look better with highlights.
4) Why are you wearing such loose fitting pants? It would be nice to see snugger ones to see the outline of your figure (trust me, nobody wants to see that!).
5) You should colour your grey hair to look younger.
6) Have you considered getting breast implants?
7) Have you considered using a tanning bed?
8) Never cut your hair (written by a master hair stylist and I went ahead and cut it).
 shirleywonton01
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/29/2015 11:35:09 AM

I think some just remember posts like this and more. Plus your posts and rants about gays, transsexuals and transgendered people. Plus your posts about the man and is daughter and how now it's "incestuous" and you're telling all your friends. Oh, there's more, a lot more. So no, the few above don't have negative attitudes nor are they cyber bullies. They just wonder what is rattling around in your grey matter that makes you so...you. Apparently it makes a few gassy.

You might want to look at what drives you to write lies by twisting others words on a dating forum? This isn't an important place but you lower yourself repeatedly with bullying behavior. I'd say given that you seems to have a little OCD regarding my posting history, simply because my views don't align with yours but they are common, you might want to seek out some therapy. Or at the least push away from your computer and get some exercise, it might help pull you out of your depression. A happy person would not be doing what you are doing or writing what you write.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Unsolicited beauty advice ...