Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If you have a totally honest profile, genuine pics, etc. do you actua      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 purplerider1200
Msg: 26
view profile
History
If you have a totally honest profile, genuine pics, etc. do you actually get genuine results?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

"In-depth studies found that about 81 percent of people misrepresent their height, weight or age in their profiles.

Oh that's a real comforting thought. I always knew I was in the minority. You just confirmed that for me.
 VMinRVA95
Msg: 27
If you have a totally honest profile, genuine pics, etc. do you actually get genuine results?
Posted: 8/29/2015 9:02:18 PM
Volcano is the only who got it right so far: "I think one of the biggest problem, especially now, is the glut of competition."

I was camping with my son at a lake with small pan fish. The big ones where all fished out the locals say. But people still fish there and spend their precious time going nowhere with it. I did take the time to teach my son how to fly cast and great mountain bike trails there too, so not a total beat down. Just too many fishermen and too few or no game fish.

So Zonavar, have you done a market analysis before your investment? I does not sound like you have. I have seen demographic studies from down under and they mirror what we see upside and that is a disproportion between males(+) and females (-) in OLD. Do you understand the terms "hypergamy", "sexual market value", "market game theory", and "preferences"? The new hyperg standard for male height is 6', er ... I mean preference. Please note the height of guys getting action here before they and the womyn put the onus on you regarding your profile in what I call "date shaming". Try changing your height to 6'1" in your profile and see the shallow hyperg's come a calling. Finally, like a lot of the parked cars on these threads many of the older womyn do not date. Whatever the over-population of male per female is in your market, many of the females just want a pen-pal, so that makes the lopsidedness even worse. These are the text-email chat and then you ask them to meet up and they disappear into the sea of single men online.

But first of all change your height and have some fun with it! Worse you could do is to piss off a bunch of entitlement queens - game?

PS Then read some of my previous posts regarding the farce OLD dating market. You need educated fast.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 28
If you have a totally honest profile, genuine pics, etc. do you actually get genuine results?
Posted: 8/29/2015 9:58:06 PM

"I think one of the biggest problem, especially now, is the glut of competition."

Dating is like putting together a puzzle, it does not matter how many other pieces there are, as there is really only a few spots we fit.

People will interact with who they are attached to, if there is no attraction there is no interaction.

No one goes, "Yeah they are what I like, but I just can not make my mind up because there is soo many to choose from."

I think what some people do not understand that, is it does not matter how many emails someone gets, 99% of them will be from someone you are not attracted to.

Because someone gets a ton of emails it is not going to stop them from conecting with the ones they want to connect with.
 VMinRVA95
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/29/2015 10:43:16 PM
How do you know HFX that no one goes: "Yeah they are what I like, but I just can not make my mind up because there is soo many to choose from." ? Then does your argument falls back on itself with the "Because someone gets a ton of emails it is not going to stop them from connecting with the ones they want to connect with."

Try a little test that has been done to death in OLD. Set up a younger pretty female account and profile and see how many her "soo many to choose from" becomes. Scary test is to set up an average women in an older category and see how much action she gets. Seriously have you never researched this? Put yourself in the hypergamist's position. It would definitely make your head spin and let me tell you if other hypergs are insisting on 6' tall so is she, ... and money, and time on his hands, and has her politics, hobbies, no children at home, rescued dog ... But she will always check back on OLD to see if something better has come along so anything more than a hump and dump is the likely outcome.

So with a bunch of shallow egotistical preconditions as noted above she would be waiting in line for a contrived Alpha with the other hypergs. OLD market game theory addresses this "bunching up" in great detail and the definition of hypergamy. You know there are those in the psychology field actually studies this right? But back to the OP. He is neither an Alpha male (although seems like a great guy to me) nor a Hypergamist female so why do you deflect the argument here? He is a high quality Beta in a warped dating market.

OP, one suggestion on you profile: your interest in Aussie Bush may be misconstrued by some not familiar with your culture. I would have to tip a pint of VB with you and hear about it though. Purely for research purposes only!
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/29/2015 10:45:57 PM

Dating is like putting together a puzzle, it does not matter how many other pieces there are, as there is really only a few spots we fit.

People will interact with who they are attached to, if there is no attraction there is no interaction.

No one goes, "Yeah they are what I like, but I just can not make my mind up because there is soo many to choose from."

I think what some people do not understand that, is it does not matter how many emails someone gets, 99% of them will be from someone you are not attracted to.

Because someone gets a ton of emails it is not going to stop them from conecting with the ones they want to connect with.

^^ truth--competition is meaningless--
Quantity is never better than quality--and finding a bunch of people to go out with is meaningless for those of you who like to quote success as the number of meets...it's not ...success is finding the one person that gets you off this site!

The benefit of being honest and having an accurate profile is trust, you are lying a good foundation for the future--if you meet someone and you are older, shorter, bigger, etc than what they think--even if they still like you --you are starting off at a disadvantage.
 VMinRVA95
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/29/2015 11:07:39 PM
Dating is like a puzzle
truth--competition is meaningless

Zonvanar, Do you have some fun Aussy expression for this kind of mindless piffle?
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/30/2015 5:38:41 AM
By being honest w/ recent pics & accurate facts about yourself, you will weed out more people who r not a match. Accuracy & honesty will net u results better than dishonesty...you will waste less time on others & others won't waste their time on you.

If you can't be w/ a person IRL, how is OLD going to magically change that for you?
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/30/2015 6:02:05 AM

How do you know HFX that no one goes: "Yeah they are what I like, but I just can not make my mind up because there is soo many to choose from." ? Then does your argument falls back on itself with the "Because someone gets a ton of emails it is not going to stop them from connecting with the ones they want to connect with."

Because I get a ton of emails, as as such have a perspective from both sides of the coin.

Try a little test that has been done to death in OLD. Set up a younger pretty female account and profile and see how many her "soo many to choose from" becomes. Scary test is to set up an average women in an older category and see how much action she gets. Seriously have you never researched this?

All that proves is girls with cute profile pictures get a ton of emails, beyond that nothing because guess what, the profile is a fake and as such the experiment is completely meanless as it does not represent real feelings and as such assoiated actions, which would be answering people that you are attracted to.

No I have never done it, because all it proves is just how desperate someone is.

Also keep in mind that the average person has a better chance finding a mate than a better looking one, as the pool of possible matches is larger for an average person than someone who is very attarctive.

Put yourself in the hypergamist's position. It would definitely make your head spin and let me tell you if other hypergs are insisting on 6' tall so is she, ... and money, and time on his hands, and has her politics, hobbies, no children at home, rescued dog ... But she will always check back on OLD to see if something better has come along so anything more than a hump and dump is the likely outcome.

You sounds bitter.

You know there are those in the psychology field actually studies this right?

Yes and I also know that there are a lot of people who like create problems out of nothing for the purpose of taking peoples money.

Dating is based on attraction and if you do not understand how attractions works, you simply do not understand.
 Brave_one
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/30/2015 6:07:30 AM

No one goes, "Yeah they are what I like, but I just can not make my mind up because there is soo many to choose from.”

Know question about it....as attraction is the biggest seller ol or rl.
OP, But the other kicker & problem with ol, as many here , if you haven’t noticed already, who post old pic’s of themselves, & use it to their advantage to attract..... Very un genuine in their act to deceive the general public.

Yet they keep blabbing nonetheless as if it’s quite normal. lol & if & when you have had the sad mis fortune in meeting any of these types of people, the disappointment in what they actually look like today. Good luck
 spot4username
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/30/2015 6:23:39 AM

But the other kicker & problem with ol, as many here , if you haven’t noticed already, who post old pic’s of themselves, & use it to their advantage to attract..... Very un genuine in their act to deceive the general public.

Yet they keep blabbing nonetheless as if it’s quite normal. lol & if & when you have had the sad mis fortune in meeting any of these types of people, the disappointment in what they actually look like today.

I believe this is the reason a lot of the men I message with and then plan to meet ghost or cancel. They know that if we go through with meeting I will immediately know they have misrepresented themselves. It is also one of the reasons I don't waste time with lots of messages back and forth or a phone call. That call that so many insist on does nothing to prove the person is being honest, it just takes up more of my time. Meet and meet fast. I had rather be stood up or canceled on by a liar than spend a lot of time messaging and torturing myself with phone calls only to find out later. You can't get that wasted time back. I am old. I don't have time to waste.

The last man to cancel (two Sundays ago) was someone I "met" on Match. I found his profile here also. He was different heights on the two profiles and different ages. On one he is 49 (so slipping under the dreaded 50) and on the other he is 54 (I guess avoiding half way to 60). One profile he is 5'6" and 5'7" on the other. I am only 5'2" so I didn't care if he wasn't the Jolly Green Giant. I did care if he was lying. In a message prior to finding the profile here I had said that I preferred to meet quickly if there was interest established. I didn't believe in a bunch of emotional build up and then there be nothing in person or realizing one of us was misrepresenting ourselves. He wholeheartedly agreed. Then the day of the meet he canceled. Of course he did. He knew he would be outed the second I laid eyes on him.
 sacredrain
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/30/2015 9:54:36 AM
I agree spot. Meet face to face and do it as soon as you both are satisfied neither of you is likely to turn out to be a monster. Those that want to bat emails and/or texts back and forth for weeks on end always turn out to be hiding something(usually major) in my experience. Even worse are the people that want to bat emails, texts, and even phone calls back and forth but cannot seem to find the time to meet or cancel first dates they've already agreed to and then want to re-schedule. These are the real time vampires and they're insecure, indecisive, and hiding something. This is my least favorite type in OLD...rather be lied to, get it over with, and move on to someone more worthy of my time.

Egads, I cannot even imagine why guys bother lying about their height. It's not like it's anything they're going to change accept it and pursue women that are vertically challenged themselves and/or don't have hangups with shorter men.

I think you're adorable and would never stand you up...too bad we're on opposite sides of the country. :) I'd definitely hit on you, despite the dreaded PNTS in your profile.
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/30/2015 10:09:12 AM
I seriously can't complain with my results, that is...... when I am putting any effort in...myself.(biggest set back...imo).
Seriously....backing off of a full time relationship with anyone....as I age, people annoy me more and more...lol.
I refuse to lie about anything on my profile and all pics are usually dated.
Never had one man, say I didn't look like my pics.
Sheesh and that's with all the odds working against me....age, weight and small town.
Go figure!
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/30/2015 1:52:33 PM

Opinions?

Get off dating sites and live in the real world.

^^ truth--competition is meaningless—

Agreed. A woman wants who she wants; whether she has two or two thousand men to choose from.

Bitter men who are always passed over make up fairy tales about nasty, entitled evil witches to soothe their boo boo egos.

But first of all change your height and have some fun with it! Worse you could do is to piss off a bunch of entitlement queens

This is dumb. How is lying about his height going to piss anybody off? He obviously won’t risk humiliation by meeting any woman in real life, IF he can get anyone to agree to a meet based on a fake height in the first place. What an idiotic waste of time.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/30/2015 2:14:15 PM
HFX_RGB2:
Dating is based on attraction

Exactly. The man I met yesterday had a well-written, funny profile with good pictures. Oddly he forgot his wallet. I took him for an hour-long walk around Blackbird Island, with beautiful views of the mountains and Icicle River.

Calling himself a "nerd," he was socially awkward. He staunchly refuses to give women compliments. We talked about that yesterday. Although he laughs at my humor, he didn't make me laugh once. I noticed this on the phone before we met. When I didn't understand his only joke, he apologized profusely. "Sorry, sorry, sorry!"

I was not attracted to him. He's a weird guy. Between his social awkwardness and lack of humor, he's not the man for me.
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/30/2015 2:14:48 PM
This guy sent me a message a bit ago and in his profile he had in all caps "YOU WOMEN DON'T WANT A REAL MAN" blah blah blah--no women don't want him...people confuse issues to save their egos-if you are having trouble in dating...it's not your height, your age, your degree, your weight--it's normally more your attitude...you are either in denial and being non-realistic as in men/women in their 60's who want decade younger but who themselves look older than their age.

Instead of being bitter-try to develop your personality--go read something different, watch a popular tv show that is out of the norm for you so you have a different subject matter to converse on--as long as you beat that old worn tired out battle drum against the opposite sex-the opposite sex (especially at this age) can tell a bitter angry person and will just leave you alone to stew in your own juices
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/30/2015 2:16:39 PM

IF you can't be w/ a person IRL, how is OLD going to magically change that for you?

Dating is based on attraction and if you do not understand how attractions works, you simply do not understand.

No one goes, "Yeah they are what I like, but I just can not make my mind up because there is soo many to choose from.”

Know question about it....as attraction is the biggest seller ol or rl.
OP, But the other kicker & problem with ol, as many here , if you haven’t noticed already, who post old pic’s of themselves, & use it to their advantage to attract..... Very un genuine in their act to deceive the general public.

Yet they keep blabbing nonetheless as if it’s quite normal. lol & if & when you have had the sad mis fortune in meeting any of these types of people, the disappointment in what they actually look like today. Good luck
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/30/2015 2:54:17 PM

The man I met yesterday had a well-written, funny profile with good pictures.

I was not attracted to him. He's a weird guy.

So, the takeaway here is to have a profile that is NOT reflective of the real you, and a guy will get messages and meets?

Although he laughs at my humor, he didn't make me laugh once. I noticed this on the phone before we met.

And yet, he still got the live meet.

Between his social awkwardness and lack of humor, he's not the man for me.

And none of that could have been figured out over the phone?

(shakes head in amazement)
 purplerider1200
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2015 3:53:26 PM
At least he made it to a meet and greet. Not many do.
 Brave_one
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/30/2015 3:57:52 PM

I was not attracted to him. He's a weird guy.So, the takeaway here is to have a profile that is NOT reflective of the real you, and a guy will get messages and meets?Although he laughs at my humor, he didn't make me laugh once. I noticed this on the phone before we met.
And yet, he still got the live meet.
Between his social awkwardness and lack of humor, he's not the man for me.
And none of that could have been figured out over the phone?

(shakes head in amazement)

lol. LH ????? not sure if she is in denial....or constantly picking losers from the get go... but at least she can tell the fora [monkey gallery] in explain why of her containing bad luck with a master’s degree in dating . lol
As i thought hiking, exercise, etc gives you more oxygen in the brain ? lol

Wouldn’t it be funny if we heard from the guys that rejected her after one meeting because she was....

Something is very weird here for sure, but can’t till we all wait for the next victim.....loser, etc...
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/30/2015 4:04:31 PM
^ What is the nature of your relationship with that monkey, please?
 Brave_one
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/30/2015 4:06:49 PM

I didn't believe in a bunch of emotional build up and then there be nothing in person or realizing one of us was misrepresenting ourselves. He wholeheartedly agreed. Then the day of the meet he canceled. Of course he did. He knew he would be outed the second I laid eyes on him.

Yes......been there, done that with a few of these types here. As they are still here, some on the fora, preaching their virtues in living the good life. But when it’s time to meet, both agreeing...they are phony as a 3 dollar bill....and claim we are weird ones....she told me later I needed to shave my arm pits first.....lol
I feel sorry now for her dog.....lol
 VMinRVA95
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/30/2015 6:36:42 PM
Lets dumb down this thread some more - not! Who said that a female would not date someone attractive? Thankfully I came along and posited what some of those attractants usually are.

"Dating is based on attraction" - nope. Dating is based on being attracted to the most "attractive" person available in the dating market. There, a little bit of intelligence gets us back on track. Lets talk about what makes a person attractive to another. See, we can be smarter than throwing out dumb bomb like "Dating is based on attraction".

What makes a man attractive? The number thing in NA is his height. OK, we all know that. Some of the other things I touched on before. "money, and time on his hands, and has her politics, hobbies, no children (at least not at home), rescued dog" (OK, I was having a little fun with the dog bit). But please re-read when your comprehension levels are peaking. Of course there are more contrived and socially engineered preferences. Funny, that guys have such a small list in comparison.

What makes a women attractive? At this age group just having a body that slightly resembles a humanoid. That alone and that women would have half the "sea of single men" beating down her door. It is truly tragic see all the good and good looking men with either no one or with some totally unattractive women because of the parity disparity of the sexes.

"Egads, I cannot even imagine why guys bother lying about their height. It's not like it's anything they're going to change accept it and pursue women that are vertically challenged themselves and/or don't have hangups with shorter men."

I am calling nonsense on this one, SacredRain (6'1"), at least for a serious male seeking a female. OK, maybe a guy might add an inch, and maybe take a few years off, but not that any guy is claiming to be half a foot taller. This smells of a myth being generated here and now to "date shame" average size men standing up the hypergamists. Being stood up and reverse indicting the man is just another attempt for some of the aging out ladies to feel better for themselves because the guy had something better to do that night than to subsidize and entertain her waning narcissism and look at her crows feet.

"Oddly he forgot his wallet" - I love it!! I am glad Ego Tripper, er Hiker, you where able to take him for a walk (but not you taking him out to diner? Oh, yes I see how that works!!).

Lastly I suggested that the OP add substantial height to prove the Number One preference behaviour discussed above and not as a serious subterfuge to get a real date with a quality women. (Gee, folks are your comprehension skills that lacking?) Then I suggest he have some fun. He is not getting action as is so he might as well get some entertainment. He would show up with a smirk on his face, and buddies pre-staged at a nearby table. Oh, and don't forget to forget your wallet! Priceless ...
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/30/2015 6:53:56 PM

Lets dumb down this thread some more - not! Who said that a female would not date someone attractive? Thankfully I came along and posited what some of those attractants usually are.

How about we use "real" science and understand that attraction is not a choice.

You have not choice over who you are attracted to, you just are attracted to that type.

It is the same as you may like some foods and not others, you did not make the choice not to like one food over the other, your taste buds told you that it was not good, which is 100% subjective, the same as attraction.

"Dating is based on attraction" - nope. Dating is based on being attracted to the most "attractive" person available in the dating market.

So why are you here and not out dating the most "attractive available" person?

What makes a man attractive? The number thing in NA is his height. OK, we all know that.

How do we all know this?

Where is your data that supports that there are more married men based on height that shows a linear line from Most married to less married that parallels a line from tallest to shortest.

If you can not show the data, you have at best a day time talk show stat.
 Seki1949
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2015 8:00:34 PM

Although he laughs at my humor, he didn't make me laugh once. I noticed this on the phone before we met.

Wouldn't that be a 'no go'?
 coffeetogo127
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/30/2015 8:02:16 PM
``What makes a women attractive? At this age group just having a body that slightly resembles a humanoid. That alone and that women would have half the "sea of single men" beating down her door. It is truly tragic see all the good and good looking men with either no one or with some totally unattractive women because of the parity disparity of the sexes. ``

Just wondered if you have looked in a mirror lately..... cause while you don`t exactly display your body in your profile, from what I can make out its rather...well lets say it does slightly resemble a humanoid. I don`t need to insult you with anything other than your own words.

(I wont dwell too long on the fact that some woman had to put her body through quite a life changing ordeal in order for you, sir, to have your son)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If you have a totally honest profile, genuine pics, etc. do you actually get genuine results?