Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If you have a totally honest profile, genuine pics, etc. do you actua      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 101
If you have a totally honest profile, genuine pics, etc. do you actually get genuine results?Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

Biking over 90 doesn't bother me, as long as I keep on moving. When it gets to 100 and you have to stop for any lenght of time, then it really hits me. But I seldom bike for longer than 90 minutes. The longest ride I ever did was 3 years ago and it was 50 miles round trip.

My brother lives in Orlando and he bikes all year round since he competes on Ironman. This part of Florida is hot as hell during the summer, and because you're closer to the Equator the pounding you get from the sun is worse. So in the summer they get up really early, so by the time the sun is at it's peak, they are already off the roads. I ride in Georgia. We get easy 90 to 100 degrees. I don't have any problem since I sweat a lot, and the winters are so mild that I can ride all year round.

Like you Dragon, my interest are my health. There was a time when I competed that I wanted to go faster, be leaner, meaner, but now it's only to be healthy, and because cycling is very low impact it's one of the best sports to keep you healthy.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 102
If you have a totally honest profile, genuine pics, etc. do you actually get genuine results?
Posted: 9/2/2015 7:47:07 AM

My brother lives in Orlando and he bikes all year round since he competes on Ironman. This part of Florida is hot as hell during the summer, and because you're closer to the Equator the pounding you get from the sun is worse.

The lowest ever recorded temperature in Bangkok was 9.9 °C (49.8 °F) in January 1955, which coincidentally was the same year snow fell in Chiang Rai. Northern Thailand.

I wouldn't try to bike in Bangkok, and the rest of the country the roads are worse but the traffic is bearable.

It's not so much the fierce sun, the uneven street roads, lack of any bike trails and constant rises and falls in the sidewalks. Many curbs are a foot up and down because it floods, but they usually have a ramp.

What would really stop me is the crazy traffic and disregard for anyone anyone other than cars. I don't know how long one would last on a bicycle in Bangkok before getting nailed by a scooter or car. The traffic is even worst in Vietnam, which was hard to imagine.

I see some mountain type bikes in the country, it's mainly poor people who don't have a car.

I was out walking with a backpack for a few miles looking for a hotel at 100 degrees. At first I didn't think it would be a big deal, but after a few miles I and my wife got on scooters to take us to the nearest available hotel. Anything with aircon looked good to me.

If I lived in Thaland, I would have to belong to a gym.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 103
If you have a totally honest profile, genuine pics, etc. do you actually get genuine results?
Posted: 9/2/2015 7:56:27 AM

I see some mountain type bikes in the country, it's mainly poor people who don't have a car.

Before my brother moved to the States I let him have my mountain bike, so he could ride in Caracas. The bad roads, traffic, and millions of obstacles made it perfect for a mountain bike. Right? Well, there was one obstacle that we underestimated.

Cost. That mountain bike was so damn cool looking that every where he went he feared for his life that he would get killed for the bike. And this is before this last government when things were better. So he couldn't ride the bike at all.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 104
Posted: 9/2/2015 9:12:11 AM

Before my brother moved to the States I let him have my mountain bike, so he could ride in Caracas. The bad roads, traffic, and millions of obstacles made it perfect for a mountain bike. Right? Well, there was one obstacle that we underestimated.

Cost. That mountain bike was so damn cool looking that every where he went he feared for his life that he would get killed for the bike. And this is before this last government when things were better. So he couldn't ride the bike at all.

I had a friend, he hitch hiked from Ecuador to I think it was Mexico. Way beyond my comfort zone, but he did have a few hair raising stories. He was living in Austin, moved to Thailand, and runs an export import business with his Thai wife. He looks like an old style 70s hippy.

I said mountain bike because I didn't have any good way to say an old beat up fat tire Schwinn type bike. Some of which are no doubt made by local people and don't have a brand. I never saw an expense type foreign bike. But a lot of very high end autos.

Here is a pic of me, my wife and nephew riding a bike made for 3, no doubt it was hand crafted, I wouldn't want to go far on it. Tourist area type bike mostly Thai people ride alongside the beach walk. I have even seen a few made for 4 people.

You see a lot of weird vehicles in the country side, they look to be welded together by local mechanics. I see some scooters with merchandise piled 10 feet high on the back, lord knows how they maintain their balance.

It's a different world.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2015 9:30:51 AM

I only get cheap bikes. Bikes get stolen here to easily. I have had 3 stolen in a short period of time. They either cut the locks or take the pole away where it is chained too.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 106
Posted: 9/2/2015 10:57:23 AM

I only get cheap bikes. Bikes get stolen here to easily. I have had 3 stolen in a short period of time. They either cut the locks or take the pole away where it is chained too.

Too late. My road bike is more expensive than my Jeep.

When I moved over my girlfriend she suggested to put my bikes in the shed. I politely said no. My bikes never go outside and stay with me IN the house. That was one of those, non-negotiables.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2015 6:09:35 PM
what studies? 81 percent seems high. I would not be surprised at 40% or so. Lying about your height is a total no brainer if you ever intend to meet, same with weight and mostly with age. So unless you just want to play games, pretend to be someone you are not, then why do it?

IG
If it were my house I would be doubtful I will let you keep a bike inside. On the patio perhaps or is it in a back room???. Why cant you get a lock for the shed. I am assuming you are insured,..... or not??? Your girlfriend is very tolerant...
 coffeetogo127
Msg: 108
Posted: 9/2/2015 8:39:00 PM
LOL, IG my husband would have put a motorcycle in the house if I`d let him, but he had to settle for filling the garage with 6 of them , some running, some in various states of repair.

A bike would have been easier!
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 109
Posted: 9/2/2015 8:47:15 PM

IG my husband

What the hell is going on around here??
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 110
Posted: 9/2/2015 9:15:34 PM

coffeetogo127 :
LOL, IG my husband would have put a motorcycle in the house if I`d let him, but he had to settle for filling the garage with 6 of them , some running, some in various states of repair.

When I lived in the ground floor I always kept my motorcycle in the living room, always. Now I live in a 2nd floor apartment so I had to rent a storage garage. I wouldn't want to leave my bike outside, especially over the winter.
 VMinRVA95
Msg: 111
Posted: 9/2/2015 9:32:49 PM
"What the hell is going on around here??"

My guess is that coupled folks like to cruise these threads to hear the lamentations of the perpetually single men and the over-annoyed women, or chat with other coupled people who like to hear the lamentations of the ... My guess it makes them feel thankful to be in a healthy relationship!?

My bikes are in the garage or living room. The cat is in the shed (she has raccoon door so she can come and go as she pleases along with other critters) From another thread I mentioned that at some point hand built bicycles and motorcycles are indeed artwork, that can be ridden. No place for masterpieces in the shed - right?

It would suck to live somewhere where you couldn't have nice stuff for the thievery. I mean if I had to make a choice my bikes or a mate ... "Take my wife - please!" Who was that? Henny Youngman? Hmm, ... you know what? My lot in life is looking up I think!
 Seki1949
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2015 12:37:37 AM

The lowest ever recorded temperature in Bangkok was 9.9 °C (49.8 °F) in January 1955...

The lowest ever was 50 degrees F??? Once? One Time? Ever? Ever? Man, I couldn't live there at all! I assume Bangkok is near sea level. I would have to find some hill country; some place that at a minimum touched low 40's, high 30's off and on for several months a year. I would have to have a cool season to look forward to. I am not a man for the tropics.

I worked the US (Chess) Open on the Big Island in Hawaii for three weeks in 1997. A friend gave me a copy of 'Into Thin Air'. It was my favorite book for three weeks --- snow, ice, wind.

I have a cabin at almost 6000 feet...Blessed Cabin, Land of the Cool Air and Sweet Water, Savior of My Northern European Soul.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 113
Posted: 9/3/2015 4:27:34 AM

The lowest ever was 50 degrees F??? Once? One Time? Ever? Ever? Man, I couldn't live there at all! I assume Bangkok is near sea level. I would have to find some hill country; some place that at a minimum touched low 40's, high 30's off and on for several months a year. I would have to have a cool season to look forward to. I am not a man for the tropics.

Well, the highest temperature in Bangkok was 104, so it never gets extremely hot. Right now it's between 85-100, but this is the rainy season, it rains every day so it is humid.

During the floods in 2011, a friend of mine had to dive down 5 feet to get into the front door of his business and unload corsets from the second floor to a boat so he could ship his merchandise.

In 2009 I did spend some time in Northern Thailand during the winter, in Isaan it got down to about 40 F and I could see my breath fog up, that is the coldest I have ever felt it in Thailand. But right now it's in the 90s in the same area.

People have aircons separately for each room, and there is often a kitchen located both inside and outside. Mostly when they cook spicy food, the spice can cause nasal problems when the steam escapes.

The heat didn't particularly bother me, but I went from aircon to aircon, and they do keep the aircon at frigid temps. My wife hated it, and loves Chicago weather, especially the winter, spring and fall.

You do have to consider if you want to live in a hot climate. Bangkok is at sea level, the beaches are nice, the water temp feels like a lukewarm bath, like 85 F, it cools you but you don't have to get used to it. Lake Michigan is always cold, when it gets up to 65 people hit the beach, water temperature seldom gets over 70. It takes awhile to get used to it.

Most people visit in winter, they stay away during the rainy season and hot season.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 114
Posted: 9/3/2015 6:43:36 AM

IG
If it were my house I would be doubtful I will let you keep a bike inside. On the patio perhaps or is it in a back room???. Why cant you get a lock for the shed. I am assuming you are insured,..... or not??? Your girlfriend is very tolerant…

Tolerant? Letitia, No. It’s one of the Non-negotiables.

A motorbike may be different, since there’s oil, and greasy parts. But if that is my baby, by all means keep it in the living room.

And why not. My fiancé had the most ingenuous way to solve the space problem. We hang the bikes as if they were paintings.

When I lived in the ground floor I always kept my motorcycle in the living room, always.

I hear you, I hear you. I would do the same.

From another thread I mentioned that at some point hand built bicycles and motorcycles are indeed artwork, that can be ridden. No place for masterpieces in the shed - right?

Let’s revolt!!!!! Men against having to put their beloved bikes on the shed. However, the best way to deal with this is finding a woman that bikes as well. Then she will kick you off the bed, or one day when you get home, you will find her in the shower cleaning your bike. The horror.

By the way, Dragon, I love that three person tandem.
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 115
Posted: 9/3/2015 1:53:47 PM
Not understanding why anyone wouldn't let someone bring a bike inside--most of them are very costly and if you don't secure them--they wont have all their pieces when you go to use them!
 coffeetogo127
Msg: 116
Posted: 9/3/2015 2:02:31 PM
What the hell is going on around here??

I am not sure whether you thought I was refeerring to IG as my husband:
IG my husband

Maybe a comma would have helped?
IG, my husband wanted..... I was addressing the comment to IG

Or if you thought I was talking about my husband in a present sense:
IG MY husband wanted- past tense

Hope this helps
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 117
Posted: 9/3/2015 7:01:05 PM
I knew what you meant - I was just being a silly goose ;)
 coffeetogo127
Msg: 118
Posted: 9/3/2015 7:11:36 PM
lol after reading several posts where people accused the other of 'talking' to IG and others, I thought I had better clarify!
 SLAFFA
Msg: 119
Posted: 9/5/2015 11:02:38 AM
"Genuine" results? I define genuine as "precisely" what they claimed to be in their profile plus ACCURATE pics. At least ONE accurate pic in the bunch although I met quite a few w/o seeing any pics. [OR a phone call for that matter]

Yup, with EVERY single woman I met from 4 different Dating sites over a 10 year stretch simply by utilizing the STRENGTHS of OLD and ignoring or minimizing the inherent WEAKNESSES of Online Dating.

And I always treat others the way I would like to be treated as in "leaving the campsite cleaner than you found it".

And you must remember, that the Forums have basically become a place to commiserate, chat, flirt and bash other Forum participants or the opposite sex in general. Therefor, a "good portion" of the advice here is suspect to say the least.

You are far more likely to find the "serious" OLD folks attending live singles events where one can completely dispense with all this silly button pushing. YOU can host one in your area if there aren't any.
 Epistrummer
Msg: 120
Posted: 9/5/2015 12:39:18 PM
Well it depends. Ive been on and off of here several times with mixed results. The crowd changes of course. But I have from time to time had pretty good luck meeting great women. My profile is honest, as am I.
The problem is getting them to respond and giving communication a chance. After that almost every one of them is glad to find out that Im not the so called typical male on here. Im not talking about sex in the first ten minutes or asking how big their boobs are. Women are very appreciative in being treated with respect. Something many have never really had
 vatives
Msg: 121
Posted: 9/6/2015 11:56:28 AM
Profiles are in the end meaningless. Attractive people in attractive photos have the best shot of being noticed. Thereafter, its all based on your personality, your character, your intelligence, your decency and your sensitivity.
 zonavar68
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2015 10:59:36 PM

I'd rather give an honest view of myself, and live with the consequences.

That's my approach too - I present myself as I am, with all my unique traits, and sure that's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it seems that dating sites in general serve to give single women the lions share of choice when searching for people to date, or play with, or form friendships, etc. with because there seems to be a massively skewed ratio of men to women, and the 'normal bloke' isn't getting any degree of positive outcomes, despite the marketting hype.

I have not found any dating site I am comfortable paying for a membership on at the present time, since it's the '1 percent' that are achieving anything that seems decently real and genuine in terms of outcomes.
 zonavar68
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2016 4:49:29 PM
To add to this, I should say that since I seperated from my former partner of 15 yrs in 2011, I've tried all manner of dating/hookup sites and all the time have real, genuine profiles and real, genuine pics of myself, and have not hooked up with a woman once.

The only time has been recently with someone through different site to this one, and we met a few times, had great laughs, cuddles (but never any touching/kissing/sex/etc.) and she's backed away saying it's 'not right for her'. I don't know if that means she's seeing someone else and doesn't want to tell me or not, but othewise plenty of rejections messages, but never anything that leads to meeting someone in person except that one time recently.

It kind of makes me think these sites are really a complete waste of time. I'm glad POF is free as I'd never pay for something that gives nothing in return. I tried a few paid subscriptions on other sites - again nothing.

Perhaps it's just me - maybe I'm just not the kind of genuine honest caring bloke that women actually want? I dunno...
 sun___flower
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2016 6:02:34 PM

If you have a totally honest profile

real, genuine

genuine honest

I'm glad POF is free as I'd never pay for something that gives nothing in return.

Your profile shows you to have a paid subscription to POF. ;-)
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 125
Posted: 3/16/2016 6:19:08 PM
^^^^^ Apparently Zonavar68 became an UPGRADED MEMBER for FREE ??????

It's all who you know I guess...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If you have a totally honest profile, genuine pics, etc. do you actually get genuine results?