Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > American Exceptionalism=Mass Murder Study Says...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dragonbytes
Msg: 176
American Exceptionalism=Mass Murder Study Says...Page 8 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
What about Brazil?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 177
American Exceptionalism=Mass Murder Study Says...
Posted: 8/31/2015 8:20:07 PM
I know absolutely nothing about Brazil. So I didn't talk about Brazil.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 178
Posted: 8/31/2015 8:22:35 PM

Either the Person has been through a background check & a cooling off period, which, then they have a Firearm, or You want to Ban them...

I am talking about the time it takes someone to realize that a guy cutting them off in traffic is not worth killing them.

With a gun in the glove box the changes of that altercation going deadly is increased, so the excuse that they could use X or Y to kill someone goes out the window.

So it is clear you miss understood what I mean about a cooling off period.

It perfectly clear, you're on the Ban them All side....

Yes because I have never said that and in fact said the complete opposite.

But they turned the heat Up, too quick, & awoke the Sleeping Giant of American Gun Owners.... Add in the Rise of the WWW & the instant call to Arms, & You see why there has been no new Big Gun Control Laws on the Fed side.....

Close, it was and still is the NRA and their ability to stir fear in the masses for the sole purpose making arms manufacturers money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the other end of the legal spectrum sit Mexico and Brazil, two countries fighting extreme gun violence.

Wanna guess where those guns are coming from?

In short, a regulated approach may reduce gun ownership and have an impact on petty crime and casual violence, but gun legislation alone will do little to reign in the criminal groups responsible for the rampant violence in the region's most murderous areas.

Great then, no negative side effects, you just made a great case for it.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 179
Posted: 8/31/2015 9:12:30 PM

More than half of Mexico's homicides were committed with a gun, and close to 90 percent of Brazil's involved a firearm.

How... exactly... do you figure that citing one or two isolated comparisons... actually speaks to... or refutes... what is revealed by the larger picture...?

Are you honestly expecting... that one or two examples... of notoriously corrupt gov'ts... with notoriously lax law enforcement... when money is involved... are any kind of a rebuttal...

We went over this before... when you brought up these countries generically... back in post 57...

Did you really think... that by addressing them separately... that it would some how "undo"... your previous bit of utter nonsense... and that you could somehow... manage to "hornswoggle" people... with such an obvious... and utterly deceitful... cheap... irrational... attempt at trickery...? Just like the wingnuts do...? Really...?

I trust we won't see you commenting about "trolls" in other threads anymore... after that little attempt at trickery... right...?
 8inscrew
Msg: 180
Posted: 8/31/2015 9:13:13 PM
Fact of the matter is...... the US does have good gun restrictions.
Room for improvement? Sure.

Does any government preform so well that no change is needed?
Like Rain said before..... go ahead and amend the Constitution.
A bunch of cowards on the internet, babbling like a picturesque brook aren't going to do that.

Every single mass killing (gun or not) was done by someone who wouldn't qualify for gun ownership here.
They lied on the forms, slipped between the cracks......
bought it on the corner. They were forced into diagnosis after the fact.

Heat of the moment, flagrante delicto?
Not if you drive home and hand load 6 mags for a return trip to school, the theater, or your ex girlfriend's family reunion.

Joe likened a speeding ticket enough to take away your right to arm bears. Rip JG
Good. He should stay in Canada.
He also thinks he is better than others. Almost every single (pun intended) one who posts here, anyways....
Good for him. I bet his councilor is telling him to fake it until you make it.
Canadians don't self police?
Maybe that's why he moved?

Rational folks don't act the way he does.
Intellectuals do not respond or resound like he does.
Sane people do not feel so superior to absolutely everyone.
Joe... think about your diagnosis and the consequences for non compliance with treatment.
Your life isn't going to troll it's self into wellness.

Why he is such a successful troll here? Idk.
Best guess is he feels the need to compensate for something in his life he cannot control.
And he is spending a LOT of time pissing in the wind. He aims at US, but can't remember to spit.
Maybe some Ecclesiastics, or Kansas would mellow him out....
or a few hundred dollars spitting through a short bumpfire 556 frame.
Maybe just talking to someone..... with respect....
rather than AT a bunch of strangers while holed up in his safe place.
Acting tough.

I live not too far south.
Summer is almost over.
You're invited. Come on over and let's burn some shit down.

Why do these guys troll their summer away.... so many posts every day.
Sun sickness? In AZ or NM I could understand them standing in the median, hollering at traffic.
But where they're from? How many 90 f days have they had this summer?

I say that with a new found respect for heat stroke.
10 days of hell. I couldn't stop turning for 3 days 2 nights for cramping.
Couldn't undo my right hand from my left, once it started...
pissing felt too good to be ashamed of where it went.
Urethracritic cramp? Fu
(Hfx... before you accuse me of person attacking you......
Even my little pee hole muscle cramped up. Buddy)

My first rifle was a 243.
papaw gave to daddy and daddy gave me.

Play Whiskey Myers: Ballad of a Southern man.

These are the majority gun holders in the USA.
If foreigners don't get that..... I understand.
Acting and marketing make us all look fat, dumb, angry or confused.
Americans are not like what you see on Kardashian TV.
If foreigners watch too much TV, is that an American deficit?
Not the shareholders anyway.

You rebel against your perception.
I deal with blood on the table.
Ideal?

I'm "retired" at 38, how about you?
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 181
Posted: 8/31/2015 9:22:55 PM

Fact of the matter is......

Fact of the matter is... you can't refute what I've said... all you can do is come in and complain... about me... Let me repeat that for you... "about me"... nothing contributory... nothing intelligent... just complain... "about me"...

If my life is pathetic... for posting on here... what exactly does that say about you... whose posting is to complain... about me posting...
 bamagrl68
Msg: 182
Posted: 8/31/2015 9:28:55 PM
Behind Blue Eyes 53- I saw advertisement for a local barbecue festival.
I went with my children, little did I know they were having a gun show at the same time.
I got in the wrong line, but saw, at the last minute, a hand made sign (a small one) that I was in the gun show line.
The person accepting money for the gun show line, was about to take my money without asking me a single question.
I saw the sign and asked, I was told where to go for the barbecue festival, the thing is you could NOT go to the barbecue festival without knowing WHICH line to get in.
As I started to walk away, I saw adults passing by with children, some looking less than 5, with their parents carrying guns that they could have grabbed easily and blown people away by accident.
I don't know, maybe the guns were unloaded, but seeing that STILL haunts me.
 8inscrew
Msg: 183
Posted: 8/31/2015 10:01:16 PM
I'm retired at 38. Joe.
How about you?

Serious q&a
joe..... are you a canadian because the draft was too much for you?
bama..... why do your boys still want to know about guns?

i ask because mine still ask questions they should not know about.... lady.
And I don't have answers..... like why do they like hot stoves?

sacredrain
Msg: 184
Posted: 8/31/2015 10:06:18 PM
There are open carry events being organized and carried out all over the country currently. Check utube.

People call the police left and right when they see someone walking down the sidewalk carrying a gun and not wearing a LEO costume. It never even occurs to most folks that guns are not illegal and walking around carrying them in plain sight doesn't even require a permit in 30 States, 14 additional states require easily obtained open carry permits.
 8inscrew
Msg: 185
Posted: 8/31/2015 10:19:31 PM
Sacred......

Open carry is a habitual "right" here in the US.

I can hold an armalite in my hand, any single place in the United States.........
any street corner. By law at or in any business.... save a few.

And it still is not an assault weapon.
It is still not a weapon of mass destruction.

You CAN walk down Atlantic blvd with a calcutta in hand.
I carry every day. No one tells me I cannot.

when confronted by officers......
I comply. On the dash.
Fists out the window.
La papiers in hand.
Slow fvcking motion.

If my papers are in order..... they laugh. Nervously for good reason.
Give me back my shit. No more questions asked.

My scoots all have a dog catcher on them.
Wonder why.
 congupnaroad
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2015 11:42:36 PM

LOL What? You think someone that decides to end another human's life is going to decide not to because they cannot find their revolver? Why wouldn't they just choose another lethal weapon? There are literally thousands of potentially lethal items in every home and let's not even head into the garage and check there, shall we begin banning each one? Did you know a human can be killed by inhaling finely powdered cinnamon? IKR! I'll organize the petition so we can put an end to the cinnamon menace once and for all!

You are right that pitchfork in your garage could be used to kill someone. However that pitchfork was not designed to kill someone, it has an alternative use.

A firearm doesn't have an alternative use other than what it was designed for.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 187
Posted: 9/1/2015 3:04:54 AM

Posted by Congupnaroad:
"A firearm doesn't have an alternative use other than what it was designed for."

Incorrect.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 188
Posted: 9/1/2015 3:21:29 AM

Wanna guess where those guns are coming from?

HFX, If you would read those articles you were posting about, you would know it was Brazil.

Brazil, the second-largest producer of firearms in the Western Hemisphere, exports many of its arms to other countries in the region, but these are often smuggled back across its porous borders.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 189
Posted: 9/1/2015 4:35:04 AM

As for Online Sales, those Firearms must be shipped to a Local FFL holder who completes the transaction, including a NICS background check.... There is NO Amazon of Gun Sales, that ships firearms to Your House from a online Sale.

Of course nothing says the weapon has to be shipped. And on line gun purchase can be arranged over the internet and the transaction made in person circumventing all gun sale regulation.

The only way You buy a Firearm at a Gun Show without a background check is if someone is selling some of their Personal Firearms.

Exactly the point I make.

The BATFE has had a presence at most every Gun Show I've ever attended. They go after People who sell a lot of Firearms without a License. There are also State DOJ & Local Police working undercover at most Gun Shows.

That may be your experience, but it isn't necessarily the experience everyone has:

From 2004 to 2006, ATF conducted 202 investigative operations at 195 guns shows, or roughly 3% of the gun shows held nationwide during this period.

What else has been found at gun shows?

A 2009 undercover investigation by the City of New York at gun shows in Nevada, Ohio, and Tennessee “observed many private sellers doing brisk business at gun shows.” The investigators tested whether firearms dealers and private sellers would conduct what appeared to be illegal transactions, and found that:
When investigators claimed that they “probably” could not pass background checks, 19 of 30 private sellers (63%) were still willing to complete the firearm sale;13 and
When investigators approached licensed dealers and appeared to conduct straw purchases on behalf of prohibited people, 16 of 17 dealers (94%) were willing to complete these transactions.In a subsequent investigation – conducted at a Phoenix gun show just a few weeks after the Tucson massacre – an investigator successfully purchased guns from two private sellers despite informing both that he “probably couldn’t pass” a background check.

Those gun shows are run so well:

WESTFIELD, Mass. — An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

In short, gun show oversight is lax at best allowing straw purchases and sales to people would would not otherwise be capable of purchasing a gun through "private gun sales"
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 190
Posted: 9/1/2015 6:00:01 AM

HFX, If you would read those articles you were posting about, you would know it was Brazil.

Brazil, the second-largest producer of firearms in the Western Hemisphere, exports many of its arms to other countries in the region, but these are often smuggled back across its porous borders.

So once again you prove my point.

Countries that allow arms manufactures to produce guns at a high rate and then manipulate policies via the NRA (USA) will typically have high murder rates with guns.
 congupnaroad
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2015 6:17:06 AM

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

^^^^^^Written in the 18th Century

vvvvvvv What in means in the 21st Century

An unregulated mass of armed citizens being necessary for the perpetuity of the firearms industry.

The right of the people to buy and conceal the latest in Man slaughtering technology shall not be infringed
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 192
Posted: 9/1/2015 6:24:44 AM

People call the police left and right when they see someone walking down the sidewalk carrying a gun and not wearing a LEO costume. It never even occurs to most folks that guns are not illegal and walking around carrying them in plain sight doesn't even require a permit in 30 States, 14 additional states require easily obtained open carry permits.

In related news:

Second amendment defender walks up to a state trooper and opens fire; crashes his car trying to flee and then apparently decides to shoot himself.

Utah trooper saved by bullet proof vest, kills suspect
National 0 Updated at 11:00 am, August 31st, 2015
By: Jeremy Harris, CNN

LAYTON, Utah — (KUTV) A Utah Highway Patrol trooper is in the hospital after being shot multiple times early Friday morning.

Sgt. Paul Kotter was working in a construction zone on Highway 193 near Hill Field Rd. in Layton around 2:30 a.m. when police say a man approached him and opened fire, hitting Kotter several times.

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/08/utah-trooper-saved-by-bullet-proof-vest-kills-suspect/
 dragonbytes
Msg: 193
Posted: 9/1/2015 7:22:54 AM

In 2010, the number of countries exporting at least $100 million of small arms annually rose from 12 to 14. The exporters' list was led by the U.S., followed by Italy, Germany, Brazil, Austria, Switzerland, Israel, Russia, South Korea, Belgium, China, Turkey, Spain and the Czech Republic. Sweden dropped off the list because its exports fell from $132 million in 2010 to $44 million in 2011.[5]

In addition, massive exports of small arms by the U.S. (M16), the former Soviet Union (AKM), People's Republic of China (Type 56), Germany (H&K G3), Belgium (FN FAL), and Brazil (FN FAL) during the Cold War took place commercially and to support ideological movements. These small arms have survived many conflicts and many are now in the hands of arms dealers or smaller governments who move them between conflict areas as needed.[citation needed]

I had no idea that Italy, Germany, Brazil, Austria, Switzerland were the next largest exporters of small arms. USA leads the world in this export, but even if we stopped producing small arms Europe and South America would take up the slack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_arms_trade
 sacredrain
Msg: 194
Posted: 9/1/2015 12:11:03 PM

In related news:

Second amendment defender walks up to a state trooper and opens fire; crashes his car trying to flee and then apparently decides to shoot himself.

LAYTON, Utah — (KUTV) A Utah Highway Patrol trooper is in the hospital after being shot multiple times early Friday morning.

Sgt. Paul Kotter was working in a construction zone on Highway 193 near Hill Field Rd. in Layton around 2:30 a.m. when police say a man approached him and opened fire, hitting Kotter several times.

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/08/utah-trooper-saved-by-bullet-proof-vest-kills-suspect

...and? Am I supposed to be outraged that guns were used by both an assailant and a LEO?

If there was a specific point I was supposed to get from this story, I missed it.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 195
Posted: 9/1/2015 12:58:12 PM

...and? Am I supposed to be outraged that guns were used by both an assailant and a LEO?

If there was a specific point I was supposed to get from this story, I missed it.

That really isn't surprising... but... is as typical... as your fellow "strict Constipationalist" conspiracy wingnuts... going "off the rails"... and becoming exactly the thing... they claim they need guns to "defend themselves from"...
 dragonbytes
Msg: 196
Posted: 9/1/2015 2:29:10 PM
In related news, alcohol and drugs were once again involved in shooting a state trouper and the tragic death by suspected suicide.

Kotter, who remained alert and communicative despite his wounds, told his fellow troopers he could smell alcohol on the suspect just before the man opened fire

In June 2013, Moyer entered a guilty plea in abeyance to the marijuana count and the other counts

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2886371-155/uhp-trooper-wounded-suspect-gunman-dead
• 6.2% of male deaths are related to alcohol, compared to 1.1% of female deaths.

Alcohol is the third leading cause of death worldwide.

https://ncadd.org/in-the-news/155-25-million-alcohol-related-deaths-worldwide-annually

Perhaps Canadians will take the lead in a worldwide ban of alcohol production and consumption, the third leading cause of death would be eliminated, and gun violence would decline.

We in the USA already tried banning alcohol, it didn't wort so well, so the issue won't get much traction here.
 sacredrain
Msg: 197
Posted: 9/1/2015 2:59:04 PM

...blah...blah...blah...you're stupid!...stupid!...stupid!...because I disagree with you!

Ouch! That stings joe. lol Just 12 more instances of abuse and you're off the Christmas list buddy!
 _babblefish
Msg: 198
Posted: 9/1/2015 3:04:46 PM

Perhaps Canadians will take the lead in a worldwide ban of alcohol production and consumption, the third leading cause of death would be eliminated, and gun violence would decline.

We in the USA already tried banning alcohol, it didn't wort so well, so the issue won't get much traction here.

and I just finished reading where cops in DeKalb (sp) went to a wrong house and shot the owner and shot his
dawg ded, im sure the dawg had booze on his breath, bang bang, cop got shot as well, y'all just crack me up

seriously
 4ms4me
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2015 4:06:35 PM

For your edification, from online dictionary:
Regulate: control or supervise (something, especially a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations - "Guns should be regulated, which will help reduce death from gun violence".
Ban: officially or legally prohibit "Republicans should be banned from government, which will help reduce stupidity in the news and on internet discussion forums".

See, two different meanings. The current discussion is about "regulating" guns, not banning them, so, in the context of this discussion, I'm pretty sure you meant to say "... Canadians will take the lead in a worldwide regulation ... "

You'll be happy to know that's already been done. Canada has alcohol regulations, the States has alcohol regulations, I believe even France does. Regulations are already around the world, so Canadians' work is done, in that regard.

However, we're on the verge of making marijuana legal, so we can regulate and tax it - this is the next worldwide movement we Canadians are starting. When ya'll get your wall built, you won't be getting any good BC Bud, that's for sure. :p
 sacredrain
Msg: 200
Posted: 9/1/2015 5:19:36 PM

Ban: officially or legally prohibit "Republicans should be banned from government, which will help reduce stupidity in the news and on internet discussion forums".

Excellent idea. I'm in and would like very much to see both heads of the single major political party in the US completely dismantled. Enough of this illusion of choice nonsense.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > American Exceptionalism=Mass Murder Study Says...