Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maleman999
Msg: 31
so phone numbers given out or not, that is the question ? Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Msg 27:
As mentioned before, not everybody has a POF app on their phone. If they do and are late due to being stuck in traffic, it can be illegal and dangerous ( distracted driving ) to use your POF app. It's easier and safer to call.

At least where I am, it's illegal to drive and use a cell/smart phone at the same time for the same reasons as listed-distracted driving. The government recently increased the fine and number of points lost when caught using a cell phone while driving, because hardly anybody was obeying the law. I still see lots of drivers who are yapping on their phone or looking down to read or send a text.
 south_city
Msg: 32
so phone numbers given out or not, that is the question ?
Posted: 9/15/2015 7:20:17 PM

It may not always be the case Southcity but I'm not willing to roll the dice.

To each their own. Unless the conversation was really bad / painful, I won't rule out a person simply based on a 15 minute phone call.

I very rarely use the phone I have. I'm not buying another one for "dating" to be used once or twice a year. That's just silly and wasteful.

Suit yourself. Although you wouldn't be spending a lot of money on a prepaid phone that isn't used often.

That's their problem (not using an app). It isn't like they will just be discovering that they don't have my number. I'm old - I remember calling restaurants to let a patron know if someone in a party is running late back before cell phones, emails. apps. I imagine that system still works. In fact I know that it does.

That could work if a place has a PA system. Otherwise, all bets are off.
 Coma_White
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2015 10:10:30 AM
Think about it though.
Ricky don't lose that number. It's the only one you own.
 MisterEd0950
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/2/2015 10:19:25 AM
Some men use phone numbers as a score card. The more number the better for their egos.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2015 1:15:47 PM
I would not agree to meet up until I had heard an actual voice on the phone and preferably get them to Skype. They wont do any of that, just pass on by. It will weed out the time wasters and the married etc. Building up some kind of pseudo connection through email or texting often leads to disappointment and I would ask to meet as soon as you have exchanged numbers.
 Maleman999
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/2/2015 1:37:29 PM

I would not agree to meet up until I had heard an actual voice on the phone and preferably get them to Skype.

I would be willing to Skype-if the person who wants to Skype buys me a new computer that has a camera and mic, since my current computer doesn't have either. There are a lot of people who only have smart phones. Can people Skype on those? If you need to hear a voice, is there a certain octave range that's acceptable and any other that's not? I think my octave range is in C minor. Is that a deal breaker?
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/2/2015 1:47:56 PM

Some men use phone numbers as a score card. The more number the better for their egos.

I never understood that notion. Who gives a fvck about a phone number if they are not going to respond or take it any further.
 o0BrownEyedGirl0o
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/2/2015 3:17:47 PM
IG,

Of course you don't understand that notion. You are in a class all by yourself and I mean that in the most flattering way possible.

Nice to see someone who doesn't do 'games'.
 newstart1949
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2017 7:05:28 PM
It really bothers me that a man feels that with just a few sentences one should immediately call them up. Then they get upset when you say not yet.
I am all for meeting sooner than later & at that time probably should have numbers in case something happens.
On-Line protocol says to try and get to know a person through a few emails prior to calling and/or giving out numbers.
Just my two cents.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2017 8:50:40 AM

I've never posted on here before, so here goes.... twice now after having spoke to two men on here for quite some time, I have given my phone number out after discussing planning a meet. Only to have the conversations stopped and never hearing from them again.

This is odd... because I would think after "quite some time", your gut would tell you if the man was real and honest.

I never handed out a phone until I felt really comfortable. I also used an alias name on dates, even into the 2nd or 3rd date. My current BF and I have a memory that will last forever. We were on our 3rd dinner date, and as we were leaving, another guest saw me, and called me by my real name. The gig was up. We laugh still to this day. He completely understands, I was just being safe for good reasons.

I did date/meet some guys that I never want to see again. They don't have my real name, and no idea where I live. The way I want it.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2017 11:06:41 AM
[/\quote] Online dating is FILLED with unhealthy people..cheaters, liars, fakes, flakes, scammers, people pretending to be something they arent..people screwing around with you, whatever. If you want to do the online dating thing there will be that certain element of "time wasted"

The very same as face-to-face encounters at work, park, clubs, bars, grocery stores, coffee shops, etc. Did EVERY SINGLE MAN who got your number face-to-face call you the same day, or at all? Were they ALL totally honest, transparent, non-cheaters who wanted a long-term relationship with the goal of marriage and kids? I guess not - or you wouldn't be here.

The FIRST thing you should do is STOP labeling everything you do in dating as "TIME WASTED". The only way you learn about people and their true nature is RESEARCH. Sure - we can tell you 1000 oddball stories about the weird stuff people do, but most of it doesn't click until you experience it first hand. THEN you start to think - WHAT are the warning signs, and WHAT QUESTIONS can I ask to deflect unsuitable people away?

No method is 100% effective except for abstinance. The solution for your particular drama is to TAKE CONTROL of your dating by ASKING FOR HIS NUMBER and making the call yourself. No more waiting & wondering. Call him. Ask him out. Get an answer NOW. Anthing other than a solid YES means NO, and you don't have a date. If the answer is NO, toss his number away.

TAKE CONTROL and stop fretting over silly "rules of dating".
 newstart1949
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2017 11:22:03 AM
Taking control to me means feeling comfortable.

Feeling comfortable will most likely NOT happen with two or three one sentence messages, especially when the profile is only a couple of sentences too.

Yes there are many ways to block one's number if you call. However in today's world I've heard there are ways to get around that too. If you not thinking & they don't accept blocked calls you might just accidentally screw up & give the number anyway.

For those that give out the number immediately, it does not help when you tell the person how silly they are being for not calling. When a contact goes that approach, even after I explain why I write them off. If they can't be understanding, sympathetic and patience in the beginning, that says they have some bad qualities I don't want in a person I date for a relationship.

As for taking chances in the outside world; at church, work and ??, we are looking at a lot more than a picture and typed words on a page. However, it can be just as scary and dangerous out there too.
 rcrpw83
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/2/2017 8:16:04 AM
No one really exchanges numbers that much anymore because of all the apps we have, especially the plentyoffish. You exchanged numbers because you still have an outdated non-smartphone and have very limited access to the internet. That was 2007, this is 2017 so lots has changed since then.
 south_city
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/2/2017 8:54:52 AM

No one really exchanges numbers that much anymore because of all the apps we have, especially the plentyoffish. You exchanged numbers because you still have an outdated non-smartphone and have very limited access to the internet. That was 2007, this is 2017 so lots has changed since then.

Even with apps being more common now, I still prefer to exchange numbers before a first date / meeting. If someone needs to change or postpone plans at the last minute, I am more likely to receive a phone call or text sooner than a message from an OLD app.
 spot4username
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:06:35 AM
^^
If you have the app set up to do so you would receive notification just as quickly as a text or call. There would be no difference.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 51
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:09:36 AM
I just couldn't agree more with msg 23 , " Witness to my thoughts " is SPOT ON !
 spot4username
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:11:08 AM
He called me a Hottie *swoon*
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:14:23 AM
^^^

(ahem ) Please refrain from swooning on the Forum as it is considered LEWD behavior !
 cooldog65
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:42:52 AM

The outdated method of exchanging numbers worked just fine last century...
 south_city
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:56:37 AM

If you have the app set up to do so you would receive notification just as quickly as a text or call. There would be no difference.

That hasn't been always true for me. Sometimes I would get a message from an app a few hours after the other person sent it. Occasionally that can happen with a text as well. But not as often in my experience. Besides as mentioned before if I'm late due to traffic or getting lost ( GPS don't always work lol ) it's easier and safer for me to call the other person instead of using a messaging app or text.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2017 7:36:50 PM

That was 2007, this is 2017

An absolute lifetime in OLD.

Oh, for the glory days of 2007.

They passed by in the wink of a young girl's eye.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/3/2017 6:39:18 AM
I'm just now getting back into dating, but I wouldn't give out my phone number until a few emails happened first, to see if the guy can put together a sentence. If he can't do that, we're not likely going to have much to talk about, as communication is very important to me. If the first couple of emails go well, I'd then move to a video chat to prescreen based on real appearance and voice, as well as get an idea of personality. I'd likely be able to decide after one video call whether an in person meeting was worth both our time and would at that point probably give out a number. If it didn't work out, there is such a thing as call blocking, I do believe.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/5/2017 12:08:14 PM
There are a few flaws in this logic -
He might not have English as his first language so written is harder than verbal
A quick meet up really best way to sum up if either of you are interested in going out for a date.. video chat can hit a huge belly, fith leg, small details :)
Get a cheap, pay as you go cel phone for dating only.. don't give out the reg number ( learned the hard way, had to change numbers lucky the woman felt my pain and changed it for free.
Just meet for a fast java or whatever, no harm if it doesn't pan out you continue on your day.

Once someone posted they meet a guy in a shopping parking lot late at night. Well what could possibly go wrong?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >