Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 51
so phone numbers given out or not, that is the question ? Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I just couldn't agree more with msg 23 , " Witness to my thoughts " is SPOT ON !
 spot4username
Msg: 52
view profile
History
so phone numbers given out or not, that is the question ?
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:11:08 AM
He called me a Hottie *swoon*
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:14:23 AM
^^^

(ahem ) Please refrain from swooning on the Forum as it is considered LEWD behavior !
 cooldog65
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:42:52 AM

No one really exchanges numbers that much anymore because of all the apps we have, especially the plentyoffish. You exchanged numbers because you still have an outdated non-smartphone and have very limited access to the internet. That was 2007, this is 2017 so lots has changed since then.

The outdated method of exchanging numbers worked just fine last century...
 south_city
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:56:37 AM

If you have the app set up to do so you would receive notification just as quickly as a text or call. There would be no difference.

That hasn't been always true for me. Sometimes I would get a message from an app a few hours after the other person sent it. Occasionally that can happen with a text as well. But not as often in my experience. Besides as mentioned before if I'm late due to traffic or getting lost ( GPS don't always work lol ) it's easier and safer for me to call the other person instead of using a messaging app or text.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2017 7:36:50 PM

That was 2007, this is 2017

An absolute lifetime in OLD.

Oh, for the glory days of 2007.

They passed by in the wink of a young girl's eye.
 Fikirimi
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/3/2017 6:39:18 AM
I'm just now getting back into dating, but I wouldn't give out my phone number until a few emails happened first, to see if the guy can put together a sentence. If he can't do that, we're not likely going to have much to talk about, as communication is very important to me. If the first couple of emails go well, I'd then move to a video chat to prescreen based on real appearance and voice, as well as get an idea of personality. I'd likely be able to decide after one video call whether an in person meeting was worth both our time and would at that point probably give out a number. If it didn't work out, there is such a thing as call blocking, I do believe.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/5/2017 12:08:14 PM
There are a few flaws in this logic -
He might not have English as his first language so written is harder than verbal
A quick meet up really best way to sum up if either of you are interested in going out for a date.. video chat can hit a huge belly, fith leg, small details :)
Get a cheap, pay as you go cel phone for dating only.. don't give out the reg number ( learned the hard way, had to change numbers lucky the woman felt my pain and changed it for free.
Just meet for a fast java or whatever, no harm if it doesn't pan out you continue on your day.

Once someone posted they meet a guy in a shopping parking lot late at night. Well what could possibly go wrong?
 flyover_boy
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2017 2:34:24 PM

I'm just now getting back into dating, but I wouldn't give out my phone number until a few emails happened first, to see if the guy can put together a sentence. If he can't do that, we're not likely going to have much to talk about, as communication is very important to me. If the first couple of emails go well, I'd then move to a video chat to prescreen based on real appearance and voice, as well as get an idea of personality. I'd likely be able to decide after one video call whether an in person meeting was worth both our time and would at that point probably give out a number. If it didn't work out, there is such a thing as call blocking, I do believe.

Everybody is different...and has their different guidelines and rules. But, I have to say, I would never go through all these steps to meet ANYONE and I’ve never heard of anyone doing all that to meet someone, little alone withholding the phone number. To be fair, the OLD system now moves VERY quickly. In fact, well more than 75 percent of all those who’ve established mutual contact, exchange phone numbers, have then agreed to meet; setting a time, date and lo-cal. Some want several emails before meeting, others want some phone time talking, both of which I really don’t do anymore. And, of any of those I can think of, I didn’t have that much interest in those who did request that. Most will back down and agree to meet right away. Good thing, because I knew it was a no go from instantly meeting them, zippo physical attraction. Some job interviewers will say, they have eliminated a candidate before they ever sat down in the seat.

To be fair, yes I have talked extensively with people with emails and phone calls, yet never meeting them. Usually distance was the issue. I was even in a lengthy pen pal situation with a lady I met in a chatroom in the late 90‘s. More recently, I’ve skyped with women, over these years without ever meeting them. But, when it comes to a local person, I gotta see what I’m talking to, or I’m gone.

Phone numbers are so easy to get, there are services such as Google voice, which will allow you to easily block someone, which I often have in the ‘do no disturb mode’ anyway. There are even phone apps like Kik which will give you some cover. But, to me, the phone number is good for quick texts and ‘oh, running late, be there in 5,’ or ‘can we move this to Thursday instead of Tuesday.’

With smartphones, that’s even becoming anachronistic, as if you get system messages sent to your email and those emails ping to your phone, you get the messages instantly. You can open the browser (assuming you don’t have the app) and communicate back with them. Problem is, unlike a phone text, not everybody is live on the system at the same time. If they are, you have real time talking...just like a phone text.
 bacheloretteNumberone
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/12/2017 5:43:02 PM
All this theorizing. He got scared. Plain and simple.
I'm coming to believe alot of men who sit here chatting with women online can't get the cahonies to meet in real life.
It's not even a date, it's a meet.
I say, it helped you weed out yet another coward. Only problem is, you gave someone you never laid eyes on your phone number.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >