Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The lies!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 51
Ford of the liesPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I'll bet you don't literally drink the sun with your face. Do I get fifty cents?

Why do the fear-ers of gold diggers advertise their gold? In the hope they can out-deal them, like poor Holly GoLightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's, who always seems to get only $50.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 52
The lies!
Posted: 9/15/2015 3:01:51 PM

Just wait til you see your first Christmas or Easter...

You're full of crap. I dare you say that about Christmas. Christmas is about baby Jesus that was born in the manger in Spring, wait, winter, wait, during a Pagan holiday that happens to match the winter solstice. And wait, Joseph was not the father. Holly s h it. Some very powerful dude upstairs impregnated this naive woman telling her that he was the holy spirit. Or wait, maybe that is what she said to Joseph so he would still marry her, instead of having her stoned to death, since she was already betroth to him. But wait, even after delivering not one but maybe a couple of more babies (one of them even was supposed to write a gospel), she was declared a virgin. Holy smokes!!!! Ahhahh!!

Okay, let's make it simple. Bring in the Fat man dress in red. Who originally was not dressed in red. Coca-cola turned him not just red, but coca-cola red. And that huge, huge dude 3 seconds short from having a coronary or a triple bypast from sever obesity comes down a tiny chimney. Yeah right.

At least the tooth fairy is real.
 cotter
Msg: 53
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/15/2015 7:29:11 PM

At least the tooth fairy is real.
Seriously? Oh nooooo ...

Well shucks ... I threw away the last few teeth I had pulled. Course I was 38 years old and they were merely making room in my mouth for my teeth to move around when I got my braces. And when I had my wisdom teeth pulled ... they threw them away and here all along I maybe could have cashed in on them?

LMAO ... my patient is 43 years old ... cerebral palsy and he says ... "If a man's lips are moving ... he's lying."

I have no idea where he comes up with some of the things he says ... perhaps his deceased mom. I remember she was quite a character.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 54
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/15/2015 10:37:45 PM

So the highlight of my Saturday night was what I believe was a booty call from an old friend from college, who happens to be married. I'm thinking, well it can't really get much worse than this - surely there has got to be someone suitable to date on that site.

Well, I would suggest trying something other than Ashley Madison. ;) True -- there are WAY WAY more men than women, and you can have a field day... but you will run into those types quite often! :)

So I'm looking at profiles, not just for my amusement, but to see what there are for prospects in my region. Oh my gawd! The lies are everywhere! Way worse than before. Has anybody else noticed this - that lying on profiles seems to be the rule rather than the exception now?

Again, I'd suggest a normal site like POF -- where everybody tells the truth! ;)

Plus the discrepancies between profession and education.

I wouldn't call those lies, though. Nowadays people give Really Important sounding job titles -- it's gotten ridiculous. Add "Vice President" to something -- he could be a janitor for crying out loud. Everyone's a Vice President to something nowadays -- even my cat!

Assuming that someone will cheat because he added an inch to his height is just stupid, yet that sort of idiotic reasoning appears throughout the forums

Yes, it surely does - lol. Bitterness & frustration over rationality in coming to conclusions.

Is it a lie when I say I am a natural blonde because it says natural on the packet?

LOL - I love it -- the technicality-by-words-so-I-wasn't-deceiving. :) "I am single, baby. Am I TWO people? Or 3? or 4? No, I'm a single person. Just 1!"
 cotter
Msg: 55
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/16/2015 9:49:50 AM
Message 58 ...

Assuming that someone will cheat because he added an inch to his height is just stupid, yet that sort of idiotic reasoning appears throughout the forums

Yes, it surely does - lol.
And the ones most upset by it appear to be the ones who are truly lying. (Not insinuating your are one of them.)

The prominent lies appear to be height, weight, and age oriented. Those are the lies I've run across the most. I don't discuss money and net worth with people so I really have no idea about the kind of lies the profile holders are promoting there. You can find some of the liars at POF events.

They sign up for POF events (parties) and you have the opportunity to see (check out) their profiles before they attend. As an event hostess, I often printed the list of those who signed up and had it at the sign-in table so people could check off their names as they entered. That way too, others could see if someone was already there.

It was amazing the lies that evolved from just such an event! The sign-in sheet wasn't created in order to expose people. I doubt most even realized it ... so probably no harm done? It was something else though to see the apparent lies as they walked through the door.

Both men and women!
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 56
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/16/2015 10:11:56 AM

And the ones most upset by it appear to be the ones who are truly lying.

About cheating? You seem awfully sensitive about the height thing. How does fibbing on something that many people, men and women, Many times being off by an inch, where shorter guys will lie, and even above average height guys will lie (to hit that 6 foot mark) -- coincide with Cheating?

The prominent lies appear to be height, weight, and age oriented.

I would say one that ranks right up there, if not at the highest, is Looks. Body-type (weight) can factor into it, but if their pictures are full-body & accurate, that doesn't mean much. However, selecting pictures to make one look like they do Not IRL, walking down the street on an average Wednesday, is big Deception. Moreso than someone lying that they're 39 when they're 42, or 6'0" when they're 5'10.5"

The only attribute that would be any indicator of Cheating would be Location. It doesn't mean it, but it will be a higher % of cheaters, as online has more than its fair share anyway. So if they're lying about Location -- expect a bump up on that. Lying about height or age? Doesn't coincide with cheating, no.
 cotter
Msg: 57
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/16/2015 10:46:17 AM
Message 60 ...
You seem awfully sensitive about the height thing.
Nope ... but it is one of the more obvious lies to notice.

I'm a dancer and don't really want a "tall" man but I know most men are very sensitive about their height and so I would say that's one of the bigger lies on here.

Weight is a big "fat" lie that people tell ... but a person can always lose weight ... can't just magically grow a few inches overnight though.

How does fibbing on something that many people, men and women, Many times being off by an inch, where shorter guys will lie, and even above average height guys will lie (to hit that 6 foot mark) -- coincide with Cheating
Cheaters lie ... a lot!

As I said in a previous post ...
The prominent lies appear to be height, weight, and age oriented.
I think that's a pretty good indicator that I'm not particularly sensitive about "height" liars ... just lying in general.

Lying is the indicator for me. Trust is a big issue with many people and for me ... if a person is willing to lie about such obvious things, then what are they lying about that isn't so obvious?

Lying about height or age? Doesn't coincide with cheating, no.
To each his own ... whatever a person is comfortable with.

How many women have spent time and money on an STD because of a few little lies?

How many men have been comfortable enough with lies to pay child support for a baby that isn't his?

Some people just have more tolerance for liars than others ... eh?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 58
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/16/2015 11:08:58 AM

Lying about height or age? Doesn't coincide with cheating, no.
To each his own ... whatever a person is comfortable with..

You're not making any sense. This isn't about personal taste, it's a logical claim. If someone's lying about their age or height, it's not an indication of them having a significant other and are cheating. When we deal with negative stuff, we are unfortunately questioned very little, and allowed to make false statements.

How does fibbing on something that many people ...... coincide with Cheating?
Cheaters lie ... a lot!

BAD logistics there.

Gal lies in her profile of being "Average" when she's 20+lbs overweight.
- High liklihood she totally screwed over her ex, because those types lie a lot!!
- High liklihood she's taken and thus cheating, because cheaters lie a lot!!
- High liklihood she shoplifts, because shoplifters lie a lot!!
- High liklihood she beats her kids, because child abusers lie a lot!!
- High liklihood she scams people out of money, because scammers lie a lot!!

Everyone lies every day. You, your wholesome family members, your friends -- everybody. So if you're going to make a blanketed statement, have some bones behind it! You're saying because someone lies, they're (likely) a cheater, because cheaters lie a lot. OK. Everyone's likely a cheater then, because everyone lies, and as you say, it doesn't matter what they're lying about. If cheaters lie, then one who lies is likely a cheater. Ya. Everyone lies. So everyone's likely a cheater. Nice. :)
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 59
The lies!
Posted: 9/16/2015 11:21:03 AM
Lying is the indicator for me. Trust is a big issue with many people and for me ... if a person is willing to lie about such obvious things, then what are they lying about that isn't so obvious?
-----------------
Well, the answer to that question is the aspect of this that requires intelligence and judgment. It takes absolutely no intelligence to believe everything one is told and it takes absolutely no intelligence to adhere rigidly to some narrowly defined rule which doesn't really answer that important question. If my gf told me she had never gotten a traffic ticket, when in fact she had, does that mean she will lie about something that is really important? (My gf never told me that. I just made that up as an example.) if I asked her how many people she had slept with and she lied about that, does that mean she'll cheat on me? What if she evaded the question? I've been very successful in figuring out who to trust and not trust, even when I disagreed with others, precisely because I never base that sort of judgment on such simplistic rules. If I had two employees, one of whom lied about something on a dating profile and one who didn't, should I trust the one who didn't to count the money in the petty cash box more than the other or do you think it takes more than knowing one lied about something and the other didn't to know which is more trustworthy?

Thanks, but I will continue to use my own way of judging honesty. Everybody lies about something and I've got a great track record when it comes to predicting who is and isn't trustworthy.

(An interesting aside is that right now, the FBI cannot find even half of the computer experts they are trying to hire because most of the ones they want to hire cannot pass the drug screening. Apparently, that is supposed to be some measure of integrity. Rigid rules that don't actually measure what they were created to measure only assure you of getting the most average people.)
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 60
The lies!
Posted: 9/16/2015 1:18:31 PM
I had a friend whose profile I stumbled across once; and burst out laughing. He put himself as 49 and showed a pic of himself with his seven year old daughter... and he was 64 with his daughter being mother of a seven year old.

When I called to give him well, cr*p about it; he was sputtering he was so upset... because a woman he had just met had lied about her age; she was ten years older than she claimed..

(mind you, he was 15); and he literally did NOT see the irony. He wanted to put himself as younger so he could weed out the old women; not getting the irony that he was depriving young women of weeding out old men.

Some people are truthful. Not everyone lies taller, skinnier or younger. (or older for that matter).

Some people actually ARE what they say. If people quit assuming everyone lied and actually gave people a chance; I strongly suspect that there would be a whole lot of good fits that stumble into each other that wouldn't, if either assumed the other was automatically misrepresenting themselves. Some do it. Some don't. Give people a chance. There would be a lot more connections if people did not judge and convict without finding out what the actual truth is; not their believed judgment.

Always assuming everyone does it? You know what they say about those who assume...

But to the ones who overtly do? You are not doing yourselves any favors. Trust me. Nor anyone else online; since many others of your gneder end up paying for your crimes :)
 cotter
Msg: 61
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/16/2015 1:39:30 PM
Message 63 ...
An interesting aside is that right now, the FBI cannot find even half of the computer experts they are trying to hire because most of the ones they want to hire cannot pass the drug screening.
They must have lied when the FBI asked them if they do drugs. You don't even get to the point of being drug-tested unless you answered a question on a form as to whether or not you do drugs. Looks like they have been interviewing a bunch of liars.

Apparently, that is supposed to be some measure of integrity.
It would be in my world. Of course, not everyone works in fields where integrity and ethics are necessary.

I don't do drugs, never have done drugs in my life, never even tried any either so I don't have to lie about it and I can prove it with a drug test and if necessary lie detector test.

I work in a field where doing drugs and being high on the job is not desirable. I keep my nose clean and find that being truthful is the easiest way to go through life. I expect that from others. I realize there are those who don't place much value on truth and have found that often they do not have much integrity or ethics. That's their problem, not mine. I just do my best to avoid them.

Personally, I'm too lazy to lie. I don't want to be bothered keeping track of all the lies and then the added lies it takes to cover up the original lies ... just way too much to keep track of. It's easier to be truthful and move on when I discover the liars.

Lying is a betrayal of trust. And just an FYI ... if your partner has lied to you even indirectly (by omission), it's just as hurtful.

Rigid rules that don't actually measure what they were created to measure only assure you of getting the most average people.
Perhaps in your world.

I'm from a different generation. My parents expected me to follow the rules and I did.

I'm used to "rigid rules" related to the places I've lived (Europe ... right beside the East German border) and worked (jails and in the medical field). I have no problem with following the rules. Not following the rules in many cases could cost you your life.

I realize your generation and younger generations have very little concept of that. I guess you just can't help it ... you're a product of your environment.

Me too. And I want nothing to do with liars. Surprisingly enough, a lot of others feel the same.

I don't assume someone is lying ... just let them know that if they do lie to me ... we're done.

Message 64 ...
But to the ones who overtly do? You are not doing yourselves any favors. Trust me. Nor anyone else online ...
Yeah ... that's what I'm thinking too.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Ford of the lies
Posted: 9/16/2015 5:50:11 PM
gtomustang

you make a very good point. Like the girls that pose sexily in next to nothing and state, no casual sex, one night stands
etc... lol! It is all a game and really I cant take it seriously.
 Walts
Msg: 63
Ford of the lies
Posted: 9/16/2015 7:55:52 PM
I once changed my profile stating I didn't drink.

I was gooned to the gills when I did it though.

Changed it the next morning when I had a headache.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 64
The lies!
Posted: 9/17/2015 2:20:37 AM
I'm from a different generation. My parents expected me to follow the rules and I did.
--------------
The people I find the least trustworthy are those who are deluded about their own virtue. It's easy to avoid "lying" when you believe your own bullshit.
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 65
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/24/2015 12:44:26 AM
Blatant lying, yes....
However for many of the profiles, I wonder if it's not interpretations, and whether the other person comprehends - extrapolating on their life experiences....
but after questioning and delving, I usually find that profiles are only glossed over and not even read.

My best lie to 'discover' though, was the "I have no idea why my profile is hidden.... everybody else can see me"...
so I declined chatting... (even on the offchance it is a POF settings error, if he doesn't have the intelligence to correct the situation, we're not an intellectual match - and I'm not exactly the smartest cookie in the barrel)
 jandise
Msg: 66
The lies!
Posted: 9/24/2015 7:50:33 AM
Lying . . . in profiles? On this board? Are you kidding me?

Seriously, I work in a profession where if people tell me the truth, when it injures their self-interest, I am pleasantly surprised. It doesn't happen very often.
 Lindsay_G
Msg: 67
The lies!
Posted: 9/24/2015 5:25:34 PM
From what I know, lies in a profile have been a norm since dating sites emerged. There is nothing new about this
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 68
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/25/2015 12:29:22 AM

The people I find the least trustworthy are those who are deluded about their own virtue. It's easy to avoid "lying" when you believe your own bullshit.

Very good insight. I have to agree.

However for many of the profiles, I wonder if it's not interpretations, and whether the other person comprehends - extrapolating on their life experiences....

If that was the case, you'd see roughly an equal # being on the negative side as the positive side. It's due to the general concept of "You're allowed to fib when there's any level of interpretation involved." Which is a problematic belief, but does have some truth to it -- as you're "allowed" in terms of it being generally expected to one degree or another.

My best lie to 'discover' though, was the "I have no idea why my profile is hidden.... everybody else can see me"...

But wait -- on here, how do you know their profile's hidden? I've never experienced that before. Is it that they don't come up in a search?
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 69
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/25/2015 1:58:02 AM
some other sites don't have an age rule, such as okaycupid. Plenty of guys twenty y ears younger who will message the "cougar" for no strings sex...
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 70
The lies!
Posted: 9/25/2015 3:39:18 AM
--------------
That's worse. People who do that have just figured out that they can lie more easily by deciding how to interpret a question to fit the answer they want to give and then plead ignorance if confronted. With people like that, you can never know if the answer to a question you asked has any basis in reality, because they even believe their own lies.
 gtomustang
Msg: 71
where the truth lies
Posted: 9/25/2015 7:55:35 AM
thank you, Letitia.

A few nights back, I looked at a local profile, a young lass with massive misspellings in her profile. And great pictures of her cute face and ample bosom. Were there tons of men who refused to email her b/c of what was in her profile?
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 72
where the truth lies
Posted: 9/25/2015 8:40:20 AM

massive misspellings

I don't know, there are men that are hugely attracted to "massive misspellings" particularly if they complement their bosom.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 73
where the truth lies
Posted: 9/25/2015 2:25:28 PM
Well, contrary to Forum MYTH, no. Everyone does not lie in/on their profiles. I have yet to MEET a woman who I thought lied about anything on her profile. But there appears to be a "new" Forumite not only using fake pictures but ones of the wrong sex. That's quite a far cry from "stretching the truth".

Does it say anything about the current state of the Forums I have to wonder and if so what exactly?
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 74
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/25/2015 9:51:44 PM

But wait -- on here, how do you know their profile's hidden? I've never experienced that before. Is it that they don't come up in a search?

Simply doing a 'base' unfiltered search of POF without signing in (I open fresh browser page)

EG for 'me' being a 'female'...
I am searching for a 'male' within 25miles of my capital city (and that's extremely generous given how small our town is) between the ages of 42 and 58.... (without setting any other paremeters)

then I 'compare' that to my 'logged on to POF' by filter (for dating intent /smoking/drinking/etc etc paremeters)

Usually something pretty cluey going on if they 'match my paremeters' but don't show up in either search
(eg; no image pictures, smokers, heavy drinkers and no commitment daters won't show up in my 'logged on to POF' search.)
I have been correct 3 times out of 4 and the last one was the "I have no idea" line.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 75
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/26/2015 6:13:50 PM

Is it a lie when I say I am a natural blonde because it says natural on the packet?

^^^^^^^^^
Hell no woman

Most of us know we lie at one time or another about something.

I laugh at some of the lies

He /She plays guitar =learned Smoke On The Water at 12.
Avid horse woman/man=had 2 riding lessons and loves watching the Kentucky Derby.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The lies!