Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Missing Teeth      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 26
Missing TeethPage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

In general, those who make it a priority to care of their own teeth (and have all of them) are probably going to be less tolerant of people with missing teeth.

With my 61+ years on this Rock, I'm no longer Surprised by people who sit up there on their High Horse & look down their nose at those less fortunate than themselves.... Some People have a Genetic Proclivity to some Medical Problems, & that can include Dental Problems...
Then if You add a bad experience with a Dentist as a Child, that can leave the person with a Deep Seated Fear of Dental Work... When I was 9 years old a Dentist,stuck the needle of the syringe of Novocain thru my Cheek & squirted the Novocain on my shoulder... Then He started Drilling on the Cavity when I wasn't numbed up...

I inherited My teeth problems from my Mom, plus the Medical Doctor didn't tell my parents that the oral medicine He prescribed could affect my teeth, & I should brush them after taking it at night & not let it sit on my teeth all night while I was sleeping

What is one willing to sacrifice for the sake of their dental health? Get another job to pay for treatments? Forgo certain groceries, lower cell phone bills, curtail nights out to the minimum? Do what you must to repair your teeth and get treatments for your gums.

Some people don't have Dental Insurance & those that do, many times it only covers 60% of the Covered Bill.. Many Dental Procedures are not covered at all... The Dental Plan at my wife's work didn't cover Braces for our Daughter... Then years later that was added to the plan, when the Owner's kids needed Braces.... But by then, it was too bad for others that had to pay for them 'out of pocket'...

There are only so many hours in the Day... I guess you've never known what it's like to have more month at the end of the money..

I was lucky in my early thirties to work a Teamster job with their Health & Welfare Benefits, plus being covered under my wife's Family Coverage from Her work... Between the 2 plans I was able to get all my Dental Work done, with very little out of pocket expenses.... Plus She helped me get over my Fear of the Dentist....

Before that, I could have had the work done for free, when I got of the Army.... I had started to get the work done, till My Fear of the Dentist raised it's ugly head...

ETA: You can be dead broke & go into a ER & have a Medical Problem treated for free... A guy I know with no Medical Coverage or Real Assets, went in the ER & had Open Heart Surgery, & was never Billed for it, because He had nothing they could attach or take from Him....

For many People you can't say the same for Dental Problems.... They're lucky if they can get a bad tooth pulled... The rest is considered Cosmetic.....
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 27
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/15/2015 6:23:06 PM
I think most of us understand just how much it costs to have major dental work done.
Most of us would like to have good jobs that include dental coverage but that is not always the case.
There are dental clinics that offer lower cost cleanings and fillings in some areas.
I have a tooth right now that is in need of a root canal. I found out the estimated cost of it and I have been putting it off
til I have the money saved .
I think there are options but many people talk themselves out of pursuing them and just decide to let their teeth decay
 8inscrew
Msg: 28
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/15/2015 7:04:49 PM
Last time I needed the dentist, I walked in with 5 and some bones in my hand.
I smiled sans teeth and just jingled my hand, busy Friday too. Packed

They could not help me till Monday.
I just holed up. How embarrassing. And sad. And expensive.
Think it was just shy of 14k....? That time.

I have my impressions so they can just call it in, now.
Most of my mouth is filled with diamond....maybe that's why I speak tho thweetly?
My facial bones are hard. Novocain does not penetrate. Sadchuckleoutloud....
I was getting something done and my last dentist (I will ever see if that can be helped)
Said that's impossible... after squirting right on the vein, completely open.
They use whole vials on me and it's still uncomfortable.
All the others didn't believe me. Told me to man up... lol. You try.
I did have a guy in CO who had "painless" dentistry, with a tens unit thingamabob.
It worked.
I have had hours of surgery in that region.
I don't know how many teeth have been knocked out/replaced.
Or how much money I have spent.

Most dentists I have been to, do not make payment plans.
That means you get no fix.
They might pull them cheap, but a good fix is costly.

What if the guy IS saving up the 14k?
How long would it take?
When I was younger I had to save and quick.

Also... dentist shop. Find a good one. Treat them right.
It's way up there on the list of jobs that suicide.
 daynadaze
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/15/2015 7:21:12 PM
I have no dental insurance, even if I did, the best I ever had paid half for basic work, nothing for something like broken teeth and needing replacement teeth, although it did cover talking them all out and a full set of teeth. That left you with a huge bill if you needed extensive work done, but was great for simple stuff. Now I have nothing, most dentist will tell you that buying your own dental insurance is a joke, like the one that offered to pay 14 dollars of my bill for a crown. So I'm left with living with anything major that happens. All my life my teeth have been well taken care of, except for a filling that fell out and I didn't get it fixed, many years ago, so I lost that tooth, a molar.

But don't worry, I won't kiss anyone.
 crookcatcher
Msg: 30
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/15/2015 7:34:39 PM

It's way up there on the list of jobs that suicide.

You're right about that. I had three in one year. All by hanging/strangulation. Relatively young as well.

ETA: Actually after thinking about it it was more like 15-16 months.
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/15/2015 8:03:14 PM

It's way up there on the list of jobs that suicide

During my course for dental assistant, one time we were each to come up with some kind of fandangle project or presentation. It was of course implied that it be something positive or espousing dentistry, or just something educational though still of a positive note. I ended up finding this book, which is quite negative and scandalous instead. I did my project on this book. One of the things which it explains is that the highest rate of suicides in professions is dentistry, and allegedly why, and that's why I'm reminded of it.

Uninformed Consent : The Hidden Dangers in Dental Care

http://www.amazon.com/Uninformed-Consent-Hidden-Dangers-Dental/dp/1571741178
 8inscrew
Msg: 32
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/15/2015 9:52:02 PM
Dayna

I had a cowboy dentist in t or c rap on my teeth with a pen.
Been P trown out of bars in las cruces.
Was sad to see the best restaurant in town move.
I think they are partly responsible for my children.
Who are whiter than i am, gofigure.

Edit?
Is my work still up on billboards?
Edit 2.
It is.
 sealady111
Msg: 33
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/15/2015 10:33:26 PM
If you cannot afford modern dentistry then in my opinion you cannot afford to date someone like me who is only willing to pay half.

I did date a man who I helped out financially for quite a few things, including dental.

It was a Saturday night and he phoned me to ask if I had any strong pain killers.
He had a badly infected molar.

I had to find a 24 hour dentist at 10pm Saturday night.

When I asked the dentist if I had done the right thing or if he could have waited till Monday?
The answer was that the infection was sight that he could have lost his sight in one eye.
So for me, if you cannot afford to pay for what I consider the basics how are you going to pay for going out?

p.s. I paid for him on about 90% of outings.
Never again.
 sealady111
Msg: 34
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/15/2015 11:35:21 PM
The answer was that the infection was sight that he could have lost his sight in one eye.

^^^^

Oops

Should read

The answer was that the infection was such that he could have lost his sight in one eye.
 baconflavoredbacon
Msg: 35
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/16/2015 2:33:01 AM
I didn't have dental insurance either. I picked up the second job while doing a f/t job while taking undergrad classes. to pay for the dental care. This included cleanings, X-rays, one second molar (which was eventually replaced with an implant) because it became reinfected, and removal of all of my wisdom teeth. I put half down and put the other half of the cost on credit through a loan program. This meant I cut buying coffee from outside, dates, nights out and any outs, clothes, and****ails (might have saved my life), dinners out (not that ramen noodles were any better for me), movies, everything. I cut out bacon, too, and that was excruciating (however not more than the pain of infected molar).

It is very expensive, indeed. By my post, I did not mean to assume that people who can't afford it are irresponsible. I think some people tend to put it off, albeit because of fear: some dentists tend to be judgmental. Others are really on the poverty line and their state insurance provides nothing and their elected leaders intercepted Medicaid expansion. Waiting lists for free clinics are months long and the only available resources are emergency rooms and antibiotics and ibuprofen more than once.You have others who find the cost as unmanageable and put it off. Some neglect it figuring they'll get by.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 36
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/16/2015 9:13:00 AM

In general, those who make it a priority to care of their own teeth (and have all of them) are probably going to be less tolerant of people with missing teeth.

With my 61+ years on this Rock, I'm no longer Surprised by people who sit up there on their High Horse & look down their nose at those less fortunate than themselves.... Some People have a Genetic Proclivity to some Medical Problems, & that can include Dental Problems...

I was just making an observation. Personally, I don't think my having the desire to date men without missing teeth means I'm "sitting on my high horse" or "looking down my nose" at them. I simply don't find men with missing teeth physically attractive.

You are entitled to your physical preferences, as I am entitled to mine.
 2ufo
Msg: 37
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/16/2015 2:06:37 PM

You are entitled to your physical preferences, as I am entitled to mine.

Perhaps it is just an observation - but I don't find it particularly valid. There are people tolerant of physical differences/imperfections and there are people intolerant of physical differences/imperfections. It's your preference to date men without missing teeth and that's fine, but simply because you won't date men with missing teeth doesn't mean that other people (with perfect teeth) won't date them.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 38
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/16/2015 5:19:49 PM

It's your preference to date men without missing teeth and that's fine, but simply because you won't date men with missing teeth doesn't mean that other people (with perfect teeth) won't date them.

Please re-read what I wrote. I didn't say there were no people with perfect teeth who would date people with missing teeth. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, which is why I added the qualifier "In general". I have just never observed couples where the man had obvious missing teeth and the woman's teeth were perfect.
 2ufo
Msg: 39
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/16/2015 6:49:42 PM
Ok.
It is your preference to date men with perfect teeth.
In general, tolerant people don't really judge on a single trait.

I have never observed perfect people or perfect couples.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 40
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/16/2015 8:58:21 PM

Ok.
It is your preference to date men with perfect teeth.
In general, tolerant people don't really judge on a single trait.

I have never observed perfect people or perfect couples.

I wasn't the person who first brought up the word, "perfect". You did. What I originally said was that it was my observation that in general, people who took care of their teeth and had no missing teeth tended to be less tolerant of people with missing teeth. I never claimed that people who took care of their teeth and had no missing teeth, had "perfect" teeth.

Yes, my preference is to date a man who takes care of his teeth, and has no missing teeth. I don't care if his teeth are not perfect. My teeth are not perfect, either. However, good dental care is a high priority for me, thus, I prefer to date a man who feels the same way.

Am I a tolerant person? In some areas I am, and in other areas, I'm less flexible. Just like everyone else---including you.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/16/2015 9:05:17 PM

I met a guy once who had a few missing teeth. He was into boxing. It didn't bother me because he was hot. As long as they are hot I have no issue hehe

^^Hard to survive Brooklyn without getting punched a few times..lol

That being said some of the most beautiful women I have dated didn't have great teeth. Those Latvian/Ukrainian models got them fixed later, I assure you, since they had substandard dental care there.

NEWS FLASH: cosmetic dentistry is an American obsession that has spread to the other Anglo countries but in most parts of the world they aren't obsessed about it. It stems from the old billboards of matinee idols with painted teeth.

I personally have great dental care, although most NY dentists lie and try to make up stuff you don't need. How do I know? because I use to go for second opionions from my childhood family dentist who didn't take my insurance. He scratched his head at the crap they tried to scam. That has left me a bit afraid of dentists. My car mechanic lies less..lol

I am missing a bottom tooth in the back near the wisdom tooth that I choose NOT to get a bridge for since technically it is the last tooth because wisdom teeth don't count. No one can see it and it is my choice. My insurance would give me a bridge for free.

But yeah those women are running away screaming , but somehow still tried to stick their tongue into my mouth. Don't you just pity me?
 2ufo
Msg: 42
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/16/2015 9:52:15 PM
We're both tolerant in some areas and intolerant in others.

Simply because
you have excellent teeth and you are not tolerant of people with a missing tooth
doesn't mean that
everyone who has excellent teeth is intolerant of people with a missing tooth.

I'm more tolerant of physical imperfections and less tolerant of personality imperfections.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 43
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/16/2015 11:37:26 PM

Simply because
you have excellent teeth and you are not tolerant of people with a missing tooth
doesn't mean that
everyone who has excellent teeth is intolerant of people with a missing tooth.

You're not comprehending my post. I never said that my teeth were excellent, nor that everyone who has excellent teeth is intolerant of people with missing teeth. Please stop trying to put words into my mouth.

I made a general statement based on a personal observation---I have not observed couples where there was a great disparity in the condition of their teeth. This observation was not based on my own personal preference not to date men with missing teeth.

I'm more tolerant of physical imperfections and less tolerant of personality imperfections.

Well, then I respectfully suggest you learn the art of introspection, so that you can look inward and be able recognize your own. Self-tolerance is a good thing.
 2ufo
Msg: 44
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/17/2015 7:43:05 AM
I find it oddly funny that you are discussing semantics and I am discussing attitude.
We are obviously speaking at cross-purposes.
And, in turn, may I suggest you learn to recognize and identify your own personality imperfections.
Self-knowledge is invaluable.
 gtomustang
Msg: 45
We can't handle the tooth
Posted: 9/17/2015 9:07:14 AM
If you can't date someone, b/c they aren't single or they live far away or whatever....does their attitude towards your date-ability matter?
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 46
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/17/2015 9:21:01 AM

I find it oddly funny that you are discussing semantics and I am discussing attitude.
We are obviously speaking at cross-purposes.
And, in turn, may I suggest you learn to recognize and identify your own personality imperfections.
Self-knowledge is invaluable.

Says the poster who went off on another poster because she didn't want to date overweight men. I suggest you stop internalizing other people's dating preferences and taking them personally when they are not about you.

People are entitled to date those they find attractive and pass on those they don't--for any reason, be it body type, age, teeth, hair, facial features, height, etc.

My attitude is just fine, thank you. I am happy with myself, my choices, and the man in my life. If you are not happy, you should be looking at your own choices rather than condemning others for theirs.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 47
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/17/2015 12:11:00 PM
My dad is stronger then your dad.
 2ufo
Msg: 48
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/17/2015 12:17:43 PM

Says the poster who went off on another poster because she didn't want to date overweight men.

Really? When (or what thread) do I do anything like that?

I don't care who people date or decide not to date. it just bugs me when people assume that their preferences are universal or that people must date the same kind of people (good teeth dating good teeth, fat people dating fat people, etc.).

What makes you think I am not happy?
Other than the fact that I get an immense amount of levity on the POF forums.

As for your attitude... I'm glad you're happy with it but I suggest you stop thinking you know everything and other people's motivations.
 Truthpilot
Msg: 49
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/17/2015 12:44:07 PM
^^^ Is this what this board has become. Arguing about whether missing teeth is a deal breaker or not? And there once was some decent threads here . . . remember those times? before the cleansing began.

Men may not give opinions about women and violence, about rapes on or off college campuses, about the negatives of the feminist movement, can not offer opinions about women who blatantly lie in their never ending attempts to make men look bad . . . . and on and on and on.

We should all come up with a list of what is off topic and grounds for nuking so that everybody is in the know.

One thing is for sure . . . no male here is allowed to write aggressively or contentiously to a woman here . . . or he is gone. He must be effeminate in character, style and/ or appearance if he is to avoid nuking.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 50
Missing Teeth
Posted: 9/17/2015 12:47:15 PM
When I was a teen, I fractured a front upper incisor playing sports, losing all but about a third of the tooph. After experiencing the pain of having antiseptic swabbed on the exposed nerve, a painful attempt at having a crown put on and my general desire to avoid the dentist, I decided that having the dentist cover over the nerve with a bit of plastic to save the tooth and then living with part of a tooth was as far as I was going with that. So, until I was a sophomore in college, I had most of my upper front left incisor missing. However, I never really thought much about it and I seemed to do just fine in the girlfriend department. I only gave into getting a crown because my girlfriend at the time had an uncle who was a dentist and he promised to drug me up until I was compliant. I got a great, brand new porcelain crown, but it really made little difference in my life. Perhaps at that age, having a fractured tooth didn't suggest living under a bridge.

So, if I found a woman attractive and she needed to have a few crowns or (dental) implants, I think I'd probably figure getting the dental work could only be a plus for her looks. After recently shattering another tooth that required a root canal and a crown and needing another crown to replace most of tooth that couldn't have the filling replaced, at a cost of 1800.00 for the root canal and 1500.00 for each crown, I can sympathize with someone who might have to wait and do a bit of financial juggling to get a few teeth fixed. The cost of an implant is even more absurd. Had I chosen to skip a crown and get an implant instead, a single implant is about 4500.00 and fortunately, my dentist preferred saving the tooth. Accidents happen and even someone who has already gotten the show on the road for an implant, has to wait six months after the post is screwed in before the crown can be placed on the post.

Poor hygiene is a different matter, but I can't recall ever going on a date with a woman who couldn't find a toothbrush and dental floss. I just don't think I'd pass on someon I found attractive and interesting just because I happened to meet her before she could get a few crowns. This is all rather hypothetical, because I've never been in that position either, but I would see taking a pass on a such a woman like I'd see taking a pass on a woman who leg was broken and in a cast. It's a temporary thing.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Missing Teeth