Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The POPE      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 126
view profile
History
The POPEPage 6 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Ok...look...Many things about many religions today are awesome - Creating the dynamic of 'community' and all of the activities and experiences of life that such a thing brings; Inspiring the imperative to 'live morally'; Instilling a capability for being positive and approaching things with that positive and uplifting attitude.

However, every single bit of that ^ is tainted by the fact that it is all based on some 'holy document' which itself is outrageously suspect in every way, but it all is just glossed over like a constantly ignored elephant-in-the-room. It is all done 'in the name of', 'to glorify', and 'justified by', something which very simply should not be the foundation for such things. At all.

I can see a local Christian church (U.S.A.), and recognize that it is awesome in so many ways, and does so much cool stuff...but then I remember that at the very center and heart of it all...of everything...is that bible. The 'holy document'. That thing which, for some odd reason, just has to be there in order for people to have an excuse to allow all of the other good things to exist. But it's a very ass-backwards relationship - all of that good stuff, but the bible at the center and foundation. That is disgusting...f-cking disgusting...to me.

No, you don't need that bible nor any other 'holy document' in order for these church communities to exist, and the good things that they bring...but it's just that the religion has people believing that it is necessary. It's a sadistic twisting of human psychology.

What people believe that their religion is today is often very far removed from what it would be if it really were dictated by their holy document. But they just keep forcing an impossible connection between one and the other. Religion is 'watered down' and less dangerous today (sometimes) precisely because of non- or anti- religious mindsets and people fighting against it's evil. The day that we non-religious dream of is when that impossible connection finally snaps, and we have things like in my first paragraph above...but they are not falsely derived from any of these holy documents, but instead the reasons that we profess for creating that kind of world are reasons which are more appropriate and reasonable, and don't make us mealy-mouthed and weasley when understanding or explaining it all.

Because in fact, at the same time, due to the fact that we base all of these good things on some ambiguous and outdated holy document with a dogmatic attitude, therefore we at the same time constantly get all kinds of absolutely aweful and horrible things in those realms of 'community' and 'morality' and 'being uplifted'.

This simply cannot be denied unless one is just being willfully irresponsible and callous about the truth of things, and until this one little detail which I've elucidated here changes, then all of the good that religion does or claims to do...it cannot claim at all and is worth very little more than a pile of sh!t.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 127
The POPE
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:59:32 PM

Didn't you know that Pork was outlawed because originally people had no idea how to cook it properly and it was making people sick? Which once again proves you have no idea !

Huh? what’s so different or difficult about cooking pork? “No idea,” I think that describes you.

Pigs were biblically “unclean,” because they eat filth, same as shellfish and other animals. Check the old testament. “Kosher” food is clean.

It's entirely down to religious "rules" concerning "clean" and "unclean" animals.
It was more about "cloven hooves" and "chewing the cud", (Which pigs don't do).

Yes.

No magical cooking skills required. :)

Not only were the church not trained in childcare or equipped in childcare..

So naturally they had to sexually abuse them. What “training” is required to keep their pervert hands off children?

Why do some so-called “religious” people have to have an enemy to crap on? Oh - call yourself “religious,” pretend to be such good chums with god, know what he wants and thinks, and hate who he hates.

You advocate compassionate “love” for pedophilic priests while slamming anyone and everyone who doesn’t identify “religious”?? You can keep your hypocritical “god” who apparently created millions of heathenish people just for Pharisees to hate.
 congupnaroad
Msg: 128
view profile
History
The POPE
Posted: 10/13/2015 12:11:12 AM

Huh? what’s so different or difficult about cooking pork? “No idea,” I think that describes you

I never said there was anything different or difficult about cooking pork in this day and age did I? Actually there is because it is recommended that pork be cooked at 170 F. Because undercooked pork still has the risk of trichinosis.

Do you think that people had temperature gauges on their ovens 2, 000 years ago.? They didn't cultivate pigs to eat like we do today. Do you think that maybe a group,of people got hungry and ate a pig and got either, Brucellosis or Tuberculosis and decided that is just wasn't worth the risk?

Pigs were biblically “unclean,” because they eat filth, same as shellfish and other animals. Check the old testament. “Kosher” food is clean

I'm pretty sure Humans would have had a good idea of what was either safe to eat or unsafe to eat well before biblical times. I'm pretty sure those traditions would have been passed from generation to generation a long time before the Old Testament was written.

It's entirely down to religious "rules" concerning "clean" and "unclean" animals.
It was more about "cloven hooves" and "chewing the cud", (Which pigs don't do)

See above.

So naturally they had to sexually abuse them. What “training” is required to keep their pervert hands off children?

Don't know. Any suggestions on how to eliminate institutional child sex abuse?

Why do some so-called “religious” people have to have an enemy to crap on? Oh - call yourself “religious,” pretend to be such good chums with god, know what he wants and thinks, and hate who he hates

I don't know who God hates. Can you provide a list?

You advocate compassionate “love” for pedophilic priests while slamming anyone and everyone who doesn’t identify “religious”?? You can keep your hypocritical “god” who apparently created millions of heathenish people just for Pharisees to hate

Who advocated compassionate "love" for pedophile priests?
 deetristate
Msg: 129
The POPE
Posted: 10/13/2015 6:07:51 AM
Trying to explain religious beliefs to a militant atheist is like explaining the moon landing to someone who believes it was all in a movie studio. Don't bother.

Why do militant atheists need an enemy to "crap on"? Why not just not believe and hum on down the road?

Why isn't not believing enough? Why the need to make it evil to support not believing?

If I don't believe in something, like ghosts or the inner child or TM, I don't have to belittle or reflexively point out evil aspects of them to reinforce not believing.

So you believe that it is out dated. Fine.

Militant atheists that I actually know were raised like Bill Maher in a dueling religions household or were a minority religion at school and felt left out as a child. I get the trauma. I don't get the constant aggression, however, particularly in response to an original post of such glad tidings.
 00Spy
Msg: 130
The POPE
Posted: 10/13/2015 6:59:42 PM
I don't believe in atheists!
 daynadaze
Msg: 131
view profile
History
The POPE
Posted: 10/13/2015 7:48:56 PM
No more so than militant whatever, but it's a discussion, stomping your foot or making silly attacks doesn't change the fact that some people think in an entirely different way than others. If you aren't looking for obsessive replies, don't make obsessive comments.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 132
The POPE
Posted: 10/14/2015 7:08:22 AM
I respect each person's choice as long as they respect mine, No matter what religion they belong to, Or if they are Non believers.
I do like, and read many Atheist forum posters here because I like to learn, and because to me, these forum posters seem honest/sincere and truthful in their views.

Patting somebody on the shoulders when that person said something mean against God (or somebody ), is not correct. It shows/or/ says a lot about the "Inner Spirit" of that person.
I show NO respect for a person like that.!!

but it's a discussion

I do not see any discussion here.
Just insane attacks.!

making silly attacks doesn't change the fact that some people think in an entirely different way than others.

this^ is a......Two Way Street.......Right?

There is no way to Peace;...... PEACE IS THE WAY.!
- Mahatma Gandhi
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 133
The POPE
Posted: 10/14/2015 7:07:30 PM

I get the trauma. I don't get the constant aggression,

because it gives them a sense of re-assurance when they attack something that has not met their lofty expectations (regardless of the reasons); thus they classify it as "evil"; in contrast to their own brand of (self) righteousness.

The fallacy that they commit when they brand religion as "evil"; is that they don't realize that it is an imperfect construct (be it true or false)originated or developed by Mankind himself worldwide! And they fail to see (thus deceiving themselves) that its "originator" must also be inherently EVIL.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 134
The POPE
Posted: 10/14/2015 7:28:14 PM
deetristate- People that aren't open to others beliefs are a part of every debate, an aggravating part, but a part non the less.
Since I USED to be religious and now I'm not, I've known people that believe and those who don't.
These types are on both sides. (Although, I don't get why there has to be a side)
I've told religious people off for not being open to atheism, but I've also done the reverse.
I'm not atheist, I'm just not sure there is a God anymore.
If pressed to categorize myself, (Something I avoid doing, when I can)I go with spiritual, but not religious.
Please know that there are a lot of people like myself, that while we are not religious, we support your right to be, your right to think how you think.
There are more of us around like that than you think.
Honestly, I've been known to laugh in people's faces when they try to tell others what to think.
As if I, or anyone else, know's better what is in your mind than you do?!
No, unless I get a personality transplant, I'm just not going to go there.
 _babblefish
Msg: 135
The POPE
Posted: 10/15/2015 7:50:20 AM

I'm spiritual and have an affinity with religion too~ my twitter is mostly about spiritual teachings and I've also got religious aspects there too~ I like lions as representing Jesus and healing:)

that's because jesus was a leo
 Jo van
Msg: 136
The POPE
Posted: 10/15/2015 9:49:02 AM

Trying to explain religious beliefs to a militant atheist is like explaining the moon landing to someone who believes it was all in a movie studio. Don't bother.

Not that there's any such thing as "militant atheists", but if there were, your analogy still doesn't fit.
To begin with, there's lots of evidence that the moon landings happened.
A better analogy would be to choose something for which there's absolutely no evidence at all, something entirely fictitious, something contrived, something which 'exists' only in the minds of men (note: NOT women), or the pages of a book..
Something like "Hobbits", or "Elves", for example.
HTH

I think you'll find that most atheists are sensible, sane individuals, who simply question what they've been told to believe.
As far as "militant atheists" goes, one of the pope's favourites, as it happens. He's said that "militant atheists" are a danger.

But it's not the atheists who are hanging gay people, or stoning raped women, it's not the "militant atheists" who have driven about 5 million people from their homes.
It's not atheists who try to inflict their views on everybody else, by force.

It's not "militant" atheists who 'picket' funerals, or abortion clinics, or seek to deny people their legal rights, because they don't agree with another person's lifestyle choices.
It wasn't atheists who re-established a country based on ancient tribal mythology, by force, to the detriment of the existing population..
Atheists don't have any "missionaries", who go out and try and convert people to their own particular flavours of religion.
There are no atheist organisations, which raped thousands of young children, for decades, maybe centuries, and then covered it up.

Atheists don't even all gather together anywhere.
You'd never find hundreds of thousands of atheists turning-up, because Richard Dawkins is in town, and it doesn't cost millions to protect him either.
Atheists don't do much of anything, certainly nothing "militant" that I can think of.....except perhaps learn a bit about history, and previous beliefs, and context.
Atheists just say stuff, things like : "that seems unlikely, is there any actual evidence?".
That seems to make religious people angry.

Seems to me that it's only the religious type people who are actually doing all the "militant" stuff, like blowing up planes, buildings, themselves, and other people, and taking land, and 'conquering' people, or getting angry about cartoons.

Religious people have been fighting over their "sacred" lands, their "holy" lands, for millennia.
They're all dead now, the land's still there. So 'new' people are now killing each other, and dying, for their "sacred" land. And the land will still be there, when they've all gone too.

You'd think that if religion is such a "good thing", and such a "peaceful" and "positive" thing, they'd have somehow managed to find a peaceful solution, by now.
Not much sign of any "peace" breaking out anytime soon, at the alleged epicenter of the big three.

The three 'Abrahamic" faiths all claim to 'worship' the same "god", and yet they still kill each other over their beliefs.
No signs of any "Kumbayah" (sp?) going on anywhere, where all three religions originated from, -quite the opposite.
There hasn't been any "peace" there, since those religions began there.

Even the supposedly peaceful "christian" priests in the "holy land" fight each other over some "sacred" church there, - every "christmas", ironically enough!
Apparently a "muslim" now has to hold the key, because neither "christian" group can be trusted to give the other access.. (look it up, it's funny!)

But us sane non-believers are expected to ignore all this??
And just "hum on down the road", whilst all this carnage is going on around us..?
It's kind of difficult to ignore....

Great post Drinks'.

Religions are dying.
It's inevitable, it's just a matter of time.
-Not because of the works of any alleged "militant" atheists, as the pope, and some here seem to think.
But simply because it's not the truth.

Also, probably because people today have much more access to, and better better information and education, than ever before.
It's ironic that religions claim to be "the source of our morality", when they begin by telling such whoppers themselves.
I don't think anything good ever comes out of a lie.
Maybe that's why they found it so easy to tell lots of other big lies too. (eg About children's sexual abuse)

Maybe one of the people objecting to my objections could explain to me why their "god" allowed all those children to be raped, and not just raped, but raped in their own "god's" supposedly "sacred" churches, and by their own "god's" allegedly special "chosen disciples", that's despite all those poor innocent children's no-doubt impassioned "prayers", to that same "god", or their pitiful sobs and screams.
Maybe "god" was "off-duty", on all those days.>??

And it's not just the RC church, it's true.
Just last week I saw a story about a CoE "Bishop" who was awaiting sentence.
Same old story. A cover-up, not just by the church, but in collusion with the police and other authorities.

This guy was some sort of religious 'hot-shot'. One of a pair of identical twins, both church ministers of some sort.
The program had clips from decades ago, both wearing sort of "monks" robes, where they were something of a 'celebrity couple', both "spreading the word of god", and all that. A "rising star" in the church, he subsequently became a bishop, regardless of several allegations made against him.

The TV program had also interviewed one of his victims, a few years ago, a sad and bewildered individual, who seemed truly messed-up by his experiences when younger. (he was in his 20s, I think, at the time of the interview)
He told about how he had been encouraged, at the age of 13/14, to get completely naked, and/or to shower in front of the clergyman, "to be unashamed, like John the Baptist".
All part of his "religious training", apparently, at some sort of "seminary" (I think?).
Turned out to be more of a "semenary".
Sadly, that young man has since taken his own life, so he didn't survive to see any sorts of "justice" for his abuser.

It's true, it happens everywhere.
But I think one of the key causes is unquestioning "worship" and/or "respect of celebrities, or any individuals with "higher social status", (like priests).
People like Jimmy Savile, (Who coincidentally was also "knighted" by the RC church. -Though I don't think it was actually officially for his "services to pederasty") (Too soon?)
Or Michael Jackson, or Cyril Smith, Max Clifford, Rolph Harris, the list goes on, and grows almost daily.
They have all been "worshiped", and all have abused, by using their 'elevated status'.

ALL "holy men" are purely self-appointed.
Regardless of their particular 'flavour' or religions,
-and regardless of their many claims, (to have been "chosen by god" etc etc) which have all proved to be untrue. (Unless you still think that "god" really exists, but just has very poor judgement, when selecting his clergy?
So far, "god" has never "de-selected" a child-abuser, prior to his activities. AFAIK?)

That's a very easy road to elevated social status, and all the "worship" which goes with it.
I'm not saying that's why they all do it, for that reason, but many have.

I think that many of the "faithful", the people who most put their "trust in god", are often, by definition, the most vulnerable among us. (Just as the poor young man I mentioned above certainly was.)
Troubled people, people who are experiencing difficulties in life (Like we all do, at times).

I think there should be far more secular scrutiny, and checks performed on all these so-called "experts" on life, (religious clergy), before we allow them access to those most vulnerable of people.
Like we do with teachers, or social workers.
(Though I'll never ever see the 'logic' in taking "marriage guidance", from a "celibate" priest! )

Skepticism is a healthy attribute (IMO).
In general, I'm usually skeptical of anyone (or any "thing") who demands "worship".
 villabolos
Msg: 137
The POPE
Posted: 10/15/2015 12:05:54 PM
Can you please type that again??
I didn't quite understand you.
 congupnaroad
Msg: 138
view profile
History
The POPE
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:26:43 PM
MSG 169

Nice rant about nothing really.

Anyway Christianity produced the Crusades, Islam produced al-Queda and Atheism produced Stalin. The Common Denominator is that Evil people do Evil things.

That unfortunately is Human Nature. Which part of that don't you understand? And why are you pulling the Guilt by Association card? It is just like saying that Geoffrey Dahmer who was a pronounced atheist means that every atheist is responsible for his crimes.

Or a meek Tibetan Monk or the two lovely ladies that run the Christian bookstore in my town are responsible for hanging gay people!
 kj521
Msg: 139
The POPE
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:48:00 PM
"I think that many of the "faithful", the people who most put their "trust in god", are often, by definition, the most vulnerable among us."

Thank you for qualifying that with "I think".

I would be interested in how you arrived at this conclusion.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 140
view profile
History
The POPE
Posted: 10/15/2015 5:10:39 PM

Atheism produced Stalin

Are you just trying to be a retard?
 bAc0nflav0redbac0n
Msg: 141
The POPE
Posted: 10/16/2015 4:11:02 AM
"Militant atheists."

No bacon for you, ma'am.
 Jo van
Msg: 142
The POPE
Posted: 10/16/2015 8:57:38 AM

Thank you for qualifying that with "I think".

I would be interested in how you arrived at this conclusion.

You're very welcome,
and I thank you, for your thank you.

All religions 'target'/exploit the vulnerable, the bereaved, the dying, the sick, the lost and the lonely, the mentally ill, drug-addicts, drunks, convicted felons, and "fallen women" etc (See the Magdalen Laundries quote further down), and most especially, children, who trust and rely on adults, to 'teach' them only reliable, and verifiable information.

Religion should only ever be be an adult choice IMO., and only then, if the person is mentally competent. Ie "Informed consent". (Otherwise it's just a form of "mind-rape" or abuse.IMO)

Every single "militant" religious person, who's ever knocked on my door; all of the "Jehova' Witnesses", the "Mormons", and others, (Who I've spent literally hours talking with ) come from one or more of the above categories, and all have had their "conversions"/"epiphanies" at times of a great personal life-crisis.
Anecdotal, I know. But interesting.

I'm all-for people doing good work, and helping others.
I'm sympathetic to the "human condition". We're all frail and fallible sometimes, we all need help and support, at some point.
But the churches tell those people that they only got better, because they "believe in god", and that if they stop believing, then they'll "fall" again.
This is just a (very cruel) lie, for their (religion's) own benefit.
(A bit like "Mother Teresa" feeding the lepers, - but only if they attended "mass".)
That's not "altruism", that's just shameless exploitation of another person's misfortune.

That unfortunately is Human Nature. Which part of that don't you understand? And why are you pulling the Guilt by Association card?

Not "Guilt by Association", but actual guilt.
The other current "pope", formerly AKA "Cardinal Ratzinger" , was "head of the Inquisition", (I kid you not!), and part of his brief was handling complaints.
He personally allowed known sex offenders to remain part the clergy, famously, he once wrote a letter saying that "the reputation of the church is the most important thing", rather than the well-being of abused children.
I seem to remember that in one case in the USA (?) he allowed a paedophile priest to abuse more children, for about another 8 years.

In August, Pope Benedict was personally accused in a lawsuit of conspiring to cover up the molestation of three boys in Texas by Juan Carlos Patino-Arango in Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. He sought and obtained immunity from prosecution as head of state of the Holy See.[168] Some have claimed that this immunity was granted after intervention by then-US-President George W. Bush.[169] The Department of State "recognize[d] and allow[ed] the immunity of Pope Benedict XVI from this suit."[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases

Immunity from prosecution, but he's still a "pope".?
That's not "guilt by association", this organisation is (still) corrupt at the very top.
In an (almost) unprecedented move, a new "pope" was appointed, before the old one had died.
The RC church now officially has two "popes".

The people who "elect" the "popes" are the "cardinals", and many of the same "cardinals" who were in office at the time of the cover-ups, and were directly involved, elected both the current, "public pope", and the current "private pope".
As an organisation, they are still corrupt, all the way to the very top, shrouded (NPI) in secrecy, and largely "self-policing".
As I've previously mentioned, the "holy" Vatican Bank has also been involved in 'money laundering'.
Well, clearly "self-policing" hasn't worked.
They've only ever acted, when exposed to the full glare of (adverse) publicity, and even then, they were most concerned about their own reputation, rather than for the victims, many of whom received "out of court" settlements, but were first made to sign "non-disclosure" agreements.

As for "human nature"; this organisation claims to be "god's representatives" on earth, they claim that "god chose them". They claim to be doing "god's will".
If it's "human nature", (which I don't dispute) then where does the "god" fit in to all this?

There are only two possibilities; either the whole story about "god" is a lie.
Or, "god" exists, and wanted them to do the things they've done.
Their story just makes no sense.

Here's their current thoughts on why they "lost" the Same Sex Marriage Referendum, in Ireland:

The successful same-sex marriage referendum campaign in Ireland used language which was traditionally that of the church, Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has told the Synod of Bishops in Rome.

“The referendum was debated within a social culture where people struggle to understand abstract moral principles. What they do understand is the predicament of individuals whom they wish to see happy and included.

“It is a very individualistic culture, but not necessarily an uncaring one. Indeed those in favour of same-sex marriage based their campaign on what was traditionally our language: equality, compassion, respect and tolerance,” he said.
...snip...
He continued: “Our young make their decisions on marriage and the family within the context of a flawed and antagonistic social culture. It is, however, not enough to condemn that culture.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/same-sex-marriage-campaign-used-our-language-bishops-told-1.2388824

Sounds more like a politician doing a 'post-mortem' on an election defeat, than someone who actually cares about people.
He thinks that their 'product' is still sale-able, as long as they use the right words.
Notice that they still feel that any deviation from ancient, primitive, superstitious religious dogma is "flawed".

I think their falling popularity and influence in Ireland, and the "antagonism" they now receive, probably has more to do with the (ongoing) sexual abuse of children, and previous (but still recent) things like the "Magdelene Laundries" scandal: "Asylums", where unmarried mothers were sent, as "sinners", and their children taken away, and sent to orphanages, where they were often abused, and "punished" for being themselves, the "illegitimate" 'products' of "sin". Tortured, beaten and starved, when they died, the "sisters" simply threw their poor little malnourished, broken bodies into a sewer.
No signs of any "mercy" nor "peace" there either.

Magdalene laundries in Ireland,
An estimated 30,000 women were confined in Irish asylums. The first asylum in Ireland opened on Leeson Street in Dublin in 1765, founded by Lady Arabella Denny. The last Irish asylum closed in 1996. In Belfast, in Northern Ireland, the Church of Ireland-run Ulster Magdalene Asylum was founded in 1839, while parallel institutions were run by Catholics and Presbyterians.[12][13]

A mass grave containing 155 corpses was discovered in 1993 at the grounds of a former convent in Dublin.[14] This eventually led to media revelations about the operations of the secretive institutions.
A formal state apology was issued in 2013, and a €60 million compensation scheme was set up.
The Vatican and the four religious institutes that ran the Irish asylums have refused to compensate the survivors of abuse, despite demands from the Irish government, the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child and the UN Committee Against Torture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalene_asylum
Hmmm... "the UN Committee Against Torture" are words you don't expect to find in an article about a religious "charity", who are supposedly doing "god's good work".

I note that no-one's attempted to explain why this supposed "god" allowed thousands of such child rapes to take place in "his houses", the places where we're told that "god most listens to our prayers there", and by his own "chosen disciples", -the very people who "teach" us that.
I bet all those children "prayed" really hard too, for it to stop.

Is it
1/. "God" was "off-duty", on all of those days.??
2/. "God" just has really, really bad judgement, when it comes to "calling" his "disciples"..?
(-or he's just been repeatedly, very, very unlucky.?)
3/. "God" is a pure fiction, invented, then 'taught' and perpetuated, by sad inadequate people, who crave an elevated social status, -but are completely unable to achieve it, by any other means, ie. those which involve either having some personality, merit or ability, or doing some actual hard-work.??

Answers on a postcard.
 kj521
Msg: 143
The POPE
Posted: 10/16/2015 9:14:42 AM
Mr. Jo van.....

With regards to this.....

"All religions 'target'/exploit the vulnerable, the bereaved, the dying, the sick, the lost and the lonely, the mentally ill, drug-addicts, drunks, convicted felons, and "fallen women" etc (See the Magdalen Laundries quote further down), and most especially, children, who trust and rely on adults, to 'teach' them only reliable, and verifiable information."

I will have to respectfully disagree. "Religions" do no such thing. :D
 Jo van
Msg: 144
The POPE
Posted: 10/16/2015 10:55:24 AM

I will have to respectfully disagree. "Religions" do no such thing. :D

No worries KJ.
Funnily enough though, I didn't think it was even possible to get "charity status", unless you helped people (or animals) "in times of need or distress".
But hey, what do I know..?

Jo what do you make of these Scientists?

First hint of 'life after death' in biggest ever scientific study - Telegraph
www.telegraph.co.uk › science-news › Fi...

James Randi challenge? :)))

It would be much easier to find, if you posted links, like this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11144442/First-hint-of-life-after-death-in-biggest-ever-scientific-study.html
My search also gave Randi's response here:
http://web.randi.org/swift/no-this-study-is-not-evidence-for-life-after-death

But before I'd even read that, I was thinking;
"they're obviously not "proper" " scientists", because these people obviously didn't "die", they survived[/b[, to be interviewed, or they couldn't possibly know what they experienced."
Did I mention that I was a sceptic..?

If you "count" that as "proof" of "life after death", then it's also "proof" of "resurrection"!!

So, to be like" jesus"; have a heart attack!
"Praise the LARD"!!!!!

It doesn't really surprise me that some 'residual' consciousness or brain activity could remain after the heart has stopped. But not for long. I think all brains are probably different.
That's not "death" though, it's a "near-death" experience.

We'll just have to wait 'til we hear from someone who's actually still dead.
I'm not gonna hold my breath...
Nice try though....
 villabolos
Msg: 145
The POPE
Posted: 10/16/2015 10:59:50 AM
I agree, she is the epitome of "I think".

I wouldn't pay to much attention to her.
If you read her profile it says she is a "smoker with an athletic body type".
I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. Talk about being out of touch with reality...
She says she is looking for a woman so apparently she is a lesbian as well.

I would suspect there is a really good reason she is on plentyoffish.
 daynadaze
Msg: 146
view profile
History
The POPE
Posted: 10/16/2015 11:52:57 AM
As someone who has been a so-called goner after a surgery, I can attest to never having seen anything of dead relatives, no gods, no anything other than a strange (and very drugged-like) feeling of being above it all that resulted in a very peaceful no pain feeling as I drifted off toward nothing. I quite liked it. Then bam, a room full of hospital staff working all over me and yelling out orders and the slam of pain blasting through me. The thing that sticks with me is that it quiet, it was dead quiet, when in fact there was massive noise going on around me. It didn't last long enough to be a true death and coming back, so there's that.
 villabolos
Msg: 147
The POPE
Posted: 10/16/2015 11:57:52 AM
I made a mistake in my previous post. Jo is very much a man.
 Jo van
Msg: 148
The POPE
Posted: 10/16/2015 12:21:19 PM

I made a mistake in my previous post. Jo is very much a man.

No worries Vilebollocks, we all make mistakes, and it's good of you to admit it.
I didn't ask for a profile review, but thanks anyway.

I'm not actually "looking" anymore either, but it's true that I'm a lesbian, but trapped in a man's body.
It's not easy.
I'm only here for the forums too now, but my profile's hidden, so I haven't bothered to change it.

I've looked at your profile too, and I'm just surprised that PoF hasn't censored your town,
do you actually have to be one, to live there?

Gotta run now.
 kj521
Msg: 149
The POPE
Posted: 10/16/2015 12:24:05 PM
Goodness...Mr. Jo van. I am not quite following your train of thought with this....

"No worries KJ.
Funnily enough though, I didn't think it was even possible to get "charity status", unless you helped people (or animals) "in times of need or distress".
But hey, what do I know..? "

But it's okay because after rereading your post....I found something even more fascinating to me and rather telling. :)

And it is this....

"and most especially, children, who trust and rely on adults, to 'teach' them only reliable, and verifiable information."

I shudder to think of what such a World would be like should parents be tasked with teaching ONLY reliable and verifiable information.

I should not want to live there...indeed. :/
 Jo van
Msg: 150
The POPE
Posted: 10/16/2015 12:27:51 PM

I shudder to think of what such a World would be like should parents be tasked with teaching ONLY reliable and verifiable information.

I should not want to live there...indeed. :/

It's ok.
I'm not asking you to.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The POPE