Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > MARKUS AKA BIG FISH IS BEHIND THE CARNAGE HERE      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MrSmith75
Msg: 101
MARKUS AKA BIG FISH IS BEHIND THE CARNAGE HEREPage 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

This site is awful in general and I don't see why even have a forum in a place like this

Yet here you are....again. :/
 a_djentleman
Msg: 102
MARKUS AKA BIG FISH IS BEHIND THE CARNAGE HERE
Posted: 12/1/2015 12:37:07 PM
I'm of the odd belief that you meet good people bad places, and occasionally an idiot gets the right idea. Besides, is there anywhere else where people are figuring this shit out? Reddit? Hardly.
 a_djentleman
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/1/2015 12:43:14 PM
>>>The term "troll" means not agreeing with the prevailing opinions and views,doesnt matter how its stated...<<<

Ummm... that's not what trolling is at all. Time for you to hit Wikipedia, buddy.
 Strings6
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2015 1:16:17 PM
Umm that's exactly what it means,buddy.....there may be some difference in the manner in which one expresses a dissenting view but depending on the maturity level of others in the discussion you can be called a troll no matter what.
 a_djentleman
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/1/2015 1:40:33 PM
^
No it doesn't.

"a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement."

Going against popular opinion (particularly within a thread) doesn't make you a troll. If I'm on a guitar forum, and I disagree about Angus Young being the best guitar player ever, despite many or most of the posts saying as such, does not mean I'm a troll. If I make an account on an AC/DC forum and declare Angus Young as a crappy guitar player, I'm being a troll. This is a pretty simple concept. You either don't understand that, or you, yourself, are trolling by maligning people who aren't trolling as partaking in the activity.

Frankly, 90% of the time trolling is impossible to police because you can't really know if people are being serious or not, if their profiles are socks, if they're posting out of ignorance, etc.
 kingmute
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/1/2015 2:21:47 PM
^^^^ get over yourself. Trolling on this board means that women do not agree with your opinions, plain and simple. This has been a free-wheeling board for a long time. The time women take offense and accuse others of being a troll is when they do not agree with the man's opinion. Simple as that.

And yea, provoking readers into though provoking discussions is what message boards SHOULD be all about. Otherwise they are boring like Vanilla Ice-Cream.
 a_djentleman
Msg: 107
Posted: 12/1/2015 3:25:50 PM
^
So broad-sweeping misogynistic / misandric accusations is how you want to roll? I suppose we can all act like ignorant children if the moderators let fly. I'll take the high road, thanks. Integrity is how you behave even when it's not expected.
 kingmute
Msg: 108
Posted: 12/1/2015 3:34:55 PM
^^^^ LOL. Are you a woman in disguise? You sound like one.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/1/2015 3:43:17 PM
Someone who says, "Integrity is how you behave even when it's not expected." sounds like a woman to you?

Now I understand why you're so scared of women.
 kingmute
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/1/2015 3:55:20 PM
He sounds like a woman because he is completely nonsensical, assumes facts not in evidence and is avoiding the issue . . . just like a woman would do. He sounds like a woman. Could be a fake photo.
 castlehillsmile
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/1/2015 4:15:20 PM

Someone who says, "Integrity is how you behave even when it's not expected." sounds like a woman to you?

Now I understand why you're so scared of women.

^^^ Well said.
 rennips1949
Msg: 112
Posted: 12/2/2015 9:37:34 AM
Technical question/observation

a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet

I didn't think discord had to be sown on the internet, I thought it was a self-sowing wild type of flora?
 OswaldSpengler
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/3/2015 6:37:39 AM
These days ; on this forum ; a "troll" is one whom reminds us of dangers of political correctness.
 rennips1949
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/3/2015 8:09:51 AM
Observation of these forums seems to indicate that trolls are not only self-sowing, they may be rising to the level here of being considered invasive species like purple loosestrife, kudzu, autumn olive...
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/3/2015 8:26:30 AM

....................trolls are not only self-sowing, they may be rising to the level here of being considered invasive.................

LOL Pretty much all my life, I have lived, as a "TROLL", "under THE BRIDGE". The YOOPERS, live above THE BRIDGE. It is socially acceptable to be "A TROLL". One who lives under/south of the THE BRIDGE.

Look it up.

Anyone who lives in the great state of Michigan IS either a TROLL, or a YOOPER.
While yooper refers to residents of the Upper Peninsula, those that live south of the Mackinac Bridge may be lightheartedly referred to as trolls since they are “under the bridge.”

Sheesh, You'all make it seem like a bad thing!
 rennips1949
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/6/2015 7:11:38 PM
Yes. Ladyinred, I too am a troll.
I've been accused of secretly being a yooper, based on some of my actions and attitudes,but no, I'm here in the middle of the Manitous' handprint.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/6/2015 10:20:06 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ Wooohoooo, LOL, A yooper by actions and attitude, with a Troll address? Nice to meet you, Sir Troll!
 OMally2015
Msg: 118
Posted: 12/12/2015 10:41:58 PM
Boy, it'd be nice if someone would start deleting all the dead profiles - that would be time well spent.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/13/2015 12:15:25 AM
Well, undoubtedly BF DID remove the Mods. I have a sneaky suspicion that he KNEW precisely what would happen to them with no one minding the store. It's possible (isn't it?) that it F I N A L L Y dawned on him that his abitility to pick "good" busdrivers was not his strong suite.

They COULD be great with no Mod interference.

They are NOT because so many of the members are unable to simply IGNORE members or posts they do not like or can relate to. Griping, sniping, bashing, backbiting, backstabbing and unfounded accusations only encourage others to do the same.

As far as "mysterious" disappearances?

It's at least possible that one of BF's final acts was to put in place X# of Delete thread and/or Report User votes gets one's profile deleted. The profile of the person doing the reporting/voting.

The irony of that thought.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2016 9:16:41 AM
The LORD Markus commanded the mods, saying, "From any tree of the garden the users may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil they shall not eat, for in the day that the users eat from it you will all surely die.

Now that too many have knowledge of how get others deleted, no one is safe. I think Markus would have a difficult job of preventing people from being deleted from the forums for whatever petty reason strikes someone's fancy.

So IMO Markus isn't behind the carnage here, it's more benign neglect. Whether he eliminated the MODS / or not is a moot point, he never looked to replace them.

What can be done, I think it's possible that it isn't techically posssible to "fix" the forums: Not without spending more money with no return on that investment.

Perhaps a count of how many times you requested someone else to be deleted would trigger an automatic deletion of that profile? But that is of limited usefullness. Or trigger someone at POF to look into i, look at all the profiles registered to that IP address?

If there is a flag on the POF database that indicates someone posts on the forum, you could use that flag to see who gets deleted. If posters that aren't posting request forum posters be deleted, that should be looked into.

It's likely that anyone seriously interested in causing trouble through deletions would have a hidden profile that is never used to post with but only used to report other profiles.

Now Match makes the rules, but no doubt Markus is on tap. to help with the software, however I doubt anyone is that concerned with the forums.

The real problem is the tools posters use to delete profiles were created to manage the dating side of POF with very few staff people. The forums are a small part of POF, the software to run POF is old can likely complicated, so no idea of how much software overhead trying to "fix" or improve the forums would create, and it is worth anyone's time to do that for something isn't the reason most people create a profile on POF.

Many of the posters on the forums aren't even dating, so they don't contribute to the bottom line outside of dating advice to those that are new to the forums.

So I am not sure without a major re-write of the software, not even Markus could stop the deletions without adding more staff people.

So given that the forums represent maybe 1% of POF users, why bother?

It is interesting in how this is devolving, I would draw a parallel between gun violence in the USA and forum deletions. The targets both appear somewhat random, the means are widely available to create trouble, it's hard to prevent trouble without major changes to rules, which wouldn't be possible.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 121
Posted: 1/13/2016 12:18:03 PM
The CURE for the current Forum condition is a simple one.

IGNORE the troublemakers and they will STOP coming back over and over. How some people can become so hateful and vindictive simply over what other members have typed is frightening.

As long as so many continue to feed them, the problem will only get worse.

Of note, is that when [likely] silly Forum people get pics deleted, the "letter" still comes from Marcus to your email. I doubt that is an accident. Early on, Markus used the Forums for "input" on site decisions but before long reached the conclusion that Forum "help" was not in the least bit helpful for his bottom line.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2016 12:42:34 PM

The CURE for the current Forum condition is a simple one.

IGNORE the troublemakers and they will STOP coming back over and over. How some people can become so hateful and vindictive simply over what other members have typed is frightening.

I can understand some getting incensed over the written word, most so when expressed in public for all to see.

However, while it's easy to ignore or respond, neither stops a trouble maker from getting your profile deleted if they take a mind to do that.

Beyond the bottom line, Markus no doubt was also curious about the forum feedback, but he lost interest in it quite some time ago.

IMO what really concerned him was the forum costing money in terms of POF resources.
 ohenryx
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2016 12:50:17 PM

dragonbytes
Beyond the bottom line, Markus no doubt was also curious about the forum feedback, but he lost interest in it quite some time ago.

IMO what really concerned him was the forum costing money in terms of POF resources.

First of all, welcome back, good to see you again!

Secondly, what were the forums costing before that they are not costing now? In terms of money, or resources, or anything else?

In other words, what has changed, except a decrease in the number of posters, and the number of posts?
 SLAFFA
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/13/2016 1:25:59 PM
As far as I know, none of the Mods were ever paid a dime. Maybe they received Comps of some kind. The "power and glory" of being a Mod obviously went to the heads of at least a few Mods.

I find it hard to believe that keeping the Forums a part of this site could have cost anything off the bottom line. Even now, they could at least be listed on the banner with the 13 other things. [mail page] Even his earliest impressions of Forum folks turned out to be remarkably accurate. He could have had ads targeted SPECIFICALLY to Forum folks to offset any costs.

It's entirely possible that HIS basic "cancelling" of the Forums was his way of getting back at all the Forum people whining years ago about a service he was providing for FREE when everyone else at the time was charging.
 a_djentleman
Msg: 125
Posted: 1/14/2016 3:10:46 AM
Yay. Let's talk about this dead forum some more!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > MARKUS AKA BIG FISH IS BEHIND THE CARNAGE HERE