Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > MARKUS AKA BIG FISH IS BEHIND THE CARNAGE HERE      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 50ThousandAnd2
Msg: 126
MARKUS AKA BIG FISH IS BEHIND THE CARNAGE HEREPage 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
1ST, Welcome Back, Dragon!

I can understand some getting incensed over the written word, most so when expressed in public for all to see.

However, while it's easy to ignore or respond, neither stops a trouble maker from getting your profile deleted if they take a mind to do that.

Beyond the bottom line, Markus no doubt was also curious about the forum feedback, but he lost interest in it quite some time ago.

IMO what really concerned him was the forum costing money in terms of POF resources.

I agree. It's just been nawty children acting out bec. Bid Daddy was away.
 50ThousandAnd2
Msg: 127
MARKUS AKA BIG FISH IS BEHIND THE CARNAGE HERE
Posted: 1/14/2016 8:02:04 AM
ooopps BIG Daddy
 OneInAQuadrillion
Msg: 128
Posted: 10/24/2017 12:28:59 PM
That's because this site is run by Canadians who do not understand that censorship in the name of civility or political correctness is tyranny. Canadians fail to comprehend that free speech is what wins the wars and makes money. This is why Canada will always be America's hat.
 daynadaze
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2017 12:56:11 PM
This site was sold, as far as we know, who knows if was bought by a Canadian or some other country, but really ranting on about free speech on a site, the owners decide what is allowed. People whine about the most ridiculous things.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 130
Posted: 10/24/2017 2:03:14 PM
People get confused about what "free speech" is anyway.
There is no free speech on a private forum.
They can kick you outta here for looking ugly if they want.
 gtomustang
Msg: 131
Posted: 10/24/2017 2:24:59 PM
"Canadians fail to comprehend that free speech is what wins the wars and makes money."

>>>yeah, it did so well in Vietnam :)

If someone says something offensive, they have free speech. If the offended speak out, they too have free speech. If someone begins an offensive post and its voted to be deleted...the election is called democracy.
 Walts
Msg: 132
Posted: 10/24/2017 4:03:22 PM

That's because this site is run by Canadians who do not understand that censorship in the name of civility or political correctness is tyranny. Canadians fail to comprehend that free speech is what wins the wars and makes money

Tell me, when was the last war you Yanks have "won"??????

While you're at it, define what "winning" is.
 Kj521
Msg: 133
Posted: 10/24/2017 4:26:41 PM
"If someone says something offensive, they have free speech. If the offended speak out, they too have free speech. If someone begins an offensive post and its voted to be deleted...the election is called democracy."

True. But it is a strange "democracy" in here.

No rhyme or reason for many of the posters being deleted. It would make sense if it were just the "offensive".
 forever_live_and_die
Msg: 134
Posted: 10/30/2017 7:29:28 PM

This site was sold, as far as we know, who knows if was bought by a Canadian or some other country

On July 14, 2015, PlentyOfFish was sold for $575 million to The Match Group (owner of Match.com, and Tinder).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlentyOfFish

While you're at it, define what "winning" is.

How about July 1st, 2018. Though I'm sure they'll screw it up so badly few people will be buying their pot from our governments.

No rhyme or reason for many of the posters being deleted. It would make sense if it were just the "offensive".

Actually there may be a reason. If they delete a hundred active members in a day then they can claim them as new members when they try to rejoin. Helps with the advertising claims.

As for the posters you knew?

I created a profile in May which was deleted in less than two week so I created this one June 6th. Sometime in August I couldn't access it, turned out they changed the password. Problem solved or so I thought. They deleted my profile late September and I had to join again but couldn't. It was simple to figure out. I used a different email address and voila I was a member again.
 zonavar68
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2017 8:33:07 PM
Why would Markus care? POF is owned by match.com and match owns a huge number of other dating sites so what happens on one site is just a very tiny part of the massive profits match.com makes from all the men subscribing to paid services (admittedly I'm one) hoping to increase their 'get lucky' chances. As everyone will testify to, it's really a myth and only a very small percentage of people find genuine lasting connections. That's why dating sites are so immensely profitable and lucrative to own.
 NYCKOSI
Msg: 136
Posted: 11/30/2017 3:46:52 PM
Markus used to rule this site with an iron fist. Markus no longer cares about this site; he made his money and this site is bought by Match.com.
I have come across profile that are real nasty with nasty photos in which they are still floating around. This would not had being tolerated like 5-10 years ago. I don't think anyone really monitors this site anymore. It seems anything goes here now.
 ohenryx
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2017 8:00:08 AM
I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one. I get spammed by “working girls” on a regular basis over on Ok*Cupid. Usually I can tell, when I get a message from a 25 year old hottie who is “just dyin’ to meet ya” (thanks, Mick Jagger), I know I’m being spammed. But here lately, they’ve gotten smarter. I get messages from women in their 50’s, attractive but not “hotties”.

After we talk a little bit, and I bring up an initial meeting, they want me to go to some site and get a “dating certificate”. That’s not quite the right phrase, but it is close. I’ve had this happen 5 or 6 times over the last few months, rather discouraging.

That almost never happens here on POF. They actually seem to do a good job of keeping the scammers, con artists, and working ladies off of this site. Now if you’re talking about the forums, yeah, they are out of control.

I do have a question, though. Anyone have a clue whether Markus is still involved at all with this site and it’s operations? I occasionally get some message purportedly from Markus, almost always trying to get me to upgrade and spend money. I rather suspect that he isn’t actually around, they are just using his name on the messages, but it does make me curious.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 138
Posted: 12/1/2017 8:31:56 AM
There's a newer trend on pof where either young hotties or middle aged not so hotties in lingerie will view you but not msg you . You click on their profile and they tell you to e mail them at n udes tonite or ... can't remember the other one. Their profiles usually disappear within an hour or two.

I don't get the middle aged ones because with most of those I think " put your clothes on PLEASE " ( not exactly ... enticing IOW )
 spot4username
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2017 9:20:20 AM

After we talk a little bit, and I bring up an initial meeting, they want me to go to some site and get a “dating certificate”. That’s not quite the right phrase, but it is close. I’ve had this happen 5 or 6 times over the last few months, rather discouraging.

That almost never happens here on POF.

On this thread
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14169004.aspx
today there is a guy asking

How do I get the pof affiliated certificate?

so perhaps you have just gotten lucky enough to not be asked for one.

Yet.
 toocash
Msg: 140
Posted: 12/1/2017 9:48:07 AM
^^^Butter....simply scammers seeking a wider audience. Perhaps as "middle aged scammers", they are not so obviously trying to scam. Makes sense... if the goal is to get money out of somebody, Joe Middle Class paunchy guy is not going to have a young hottie emailing him after all.

Its nice to see this thread, I started, is still going. I had almost forgotten about Sailenges.... my first profile on here.

Marcus is long gone, and I have no idea what is happening on the dating side anymore.....but there are still a few who are deleted in the off topics, where really anything should be able to go.

If anybody should have been terminated, good to see it was Slaffa .. he lasted far too long here. His last photos showed him to be a transvestite? Really strange photos where he had shaved, oiled down legs in high heels. Almost made me nauseous how he portrayed himself in the end when he held himself out to be a woman's magnet for so long .

I still say there is really no such thing as a Troll, especially on these boards..... Trolls are simply people, in the minds of most POFers, who state comments that others do not agree with. I learned that early on when I was constantly attacked by Motowncow girl, who led the group of women posse deleters. She was probably responsible for the deletion of at least 10 of my profiles....and that of many others, but I ended up doing the same to Volkano and Motowngirl.... I still laugh about that. What is good for the goose.....

Just sayin :-)
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 141
Posted: 12/1/2017 10:12:46 AM
"Makes sense... if the goal is to get money out of somebody, Joe Middle Class paunchy guy is not going to have a young hottie emailing him after all."

Not wanting to be the spokesperson for J.M.C. paunchy guy but I'm sure he'd prefer a middle aged woman who was at least .... ATTRACTIVE !

Seriously, some of these women are bottom o the barrel !
 toocash
Msg: 142
Posted: 12/1/2017 10:26:50 AM
^^^^ I guess it depends on the target audience. If you are an ugly middle aged guy (not you Butter...I'm a guy without any attraction to other guys, but if you were a friend of mine, I would have no issue with introducing you to my wife's single women friends).... its really much more believable scam if a not so attractive woman is emailing you and showing interest. An ugly guy is going to know the gorgeous woman has no interest in him.

The scams out there are never ending....the Internet has become one huge scam fest.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 143
Posted: 12/1/2017 11:07:15 AM
"its really much more believable scam if a not so attractive woman is emailing you and showing interest. An ugly guy is going to know the gorgeous woman has no interest in him."

Oh yeah, I get that but the way I look at it is .... if you're going to PAY for it .... aren't you going to want something worth paying FOR ?

( shrug ) Maybe JMC paunchy guy thinks the saggy sally is worth it ?
 toocash
Msg: 144
Posted: 12/1/2017 11:39:44 AM
^^^ LOL... I don't know... I guess it depends on how desperate the ugly middle aged guy.
 Walts
Msg: 145
Posted: 12/1/2017 2:20:52 PM

Not wanting to be the spokesperson for J.M.C. paunchy guy but I'm sure he'd prefer a middle aged woman who was at least .... ATTRACTIVE !

Seriously, some of these women are bottom o the barrel !

Yeah, but, they their lack of attire supposedly makes up for it Butter!!!!!

Maybe????

Okay, not really.

I get at least three very early in the morning, every morning for the last little while now. I haven't jumped yet but, maybe one morning when the whiskey hasn't worn off. ??
 ohenryx
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2017 10:15:30 AM

Walts
I get at least three very early in the morning, every morning for the last little while now. I haven't jumped yet but, maybe one morning when the whiskey hasn't worn off. ??

Probably because they’re on the far side of the planet, with an 8 to 12 hour time difference, at least that would be my guess.

Butterchickenchuck
the way I look at it is .... if you're going to PAY for it .... aren't you going to want something worth paying FOR ?

I recently had a go around on “whats your price” (story already told in a different thread, I won’t repeat it here). But the fact that I did log in apparently put me at the top of a lot of search lists. So I have been getting a lot of emails with “offers for dates”. And I have to tell you, some of those women wanting $100, $150, $200 for a date, the only thing I would pay them for is to stay away!

Either there are a lot of delusional women out there, or there are a lot of desperate men. Sad state of affairs, either way.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2017 1:45:50 AM

I get spammed by “working girls” on a regular basis over on Ok*Cupid. Usually I can tell, when I get a message from a 25 year old hottie who is “just dyin’ to meet ya”

I never got that on OKC. I've seen some what-should-be-fake profiles once in a while, but that's it. Never wrote me. On Match, I would get an alert that some gal winked at me, and once in a great while wrote me a message -- but then upon looking it up, they're deleted (detected spam). Never got there in time to see a message, and rarely enough time to catch a wink or "like". And this is over the course of years & years, and years on there. Here on POF, I've seen some fake profiles once in a good while, but I think they do a pretty good weeding job here, and they never write me. I've used this site on and off since it was new -- and I never got a message from them (although I could be wrong from the early 00s; that was a long time ago).
 Camile2099
Msg: 148
Posted: 12/6/2017 8:28:11 AM
I’m not sure what carnage you’re talking about. When I looked at the forums some months ago I noticed many of the long-timers that live on the forums were always complaining that the contents of newcomer posts had been already posted before. Since these long-timers haven’t found a mate on POF, they spend their days reading the forums and wanting to see new material. However, to the vast majority of newcomers or casual visitors, it’s all new and interesting material. So I can see where these long-term critics and malcontents could be a deficit to the website.
 daynadaze
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2017 5:51:41 PM
The way the site was set up was to discourage people from posting the same thing that's already been covered by doing a topic search. Thr forums weren't meant to be chat rooms. Of course since the site was sold, all sorts of chats and rudeness has broken out. So why are you so pissy about 'oldtimers'? Do you have some sort of proof who voted against your post?
 Cynderella
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2017 3:57:50 AM

That's because this site is run by Canadians who do not understand that censorship in the name of civility or political correctness is tyranny. Canadians fail to comprehend that free speech is what wins the wars and makes money. This is why Canada will always be America's hat.

WTF

If that *hat* is a crown.... we'll take it!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > MARKUS AKA BIG FISH IS BEHIND THE CARNAGE HERE