Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Steps Should be Followed for Your Safety (My Opinion)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 474bluemoon
Msg: 126
Steps Should be Followed for Your Safety (My Opinion)Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

It has been already said!

Steps Should be Followed for Your Safety (My Opinion)
Posted: 9/27/2015 7:07:32 PM
Guerrero...don't let these anti-safety people get you down. You gotta' fight, for your right, to date and party.
Last week I was shopping for milk, cereal, laundry detergent, and toilet paper at the grocery store near my home.

To ensure my safety I confiscated the I.D. of all shoppers in the same aisle. One grandmother put up a real fight over it!
They were rather surprised at first, yet complied once I wrestled them to the ground and told them it was for my benefit.

Next week I will utilize the same I.D. technique while having breakfast at the corner restaurant.
No telling who might be having eggs, toast, and coffee a few tables down the row. Stay strong, brother.

OMG. Comprehension is an issue. The above post was said sarcastically. As a JOKE. JOKE. Do you really think Eric confiscates the ID of all shoppers in the same aisle as him?? You really do have a screw loose.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Steps Should be Followed for Your Safety (My Opinion)
Posted: 10/3/2015 9:21:59 AM

Who on earth said scan or give a hard copy of your Driver' License to someone else or random people?

The heart of the matter: Exactly. But that's what you're wanting to do! To merely someone you're talking to online who you're very possibly going to meet -- for "safety" reasons. Your reasons for safety are for the same reason as this -- they're pretty much a "random person", which is why you're going on & defending these laughable proposed "Rulez". If someone providing personal information is not-a-problem to another pretty-much-random-person who's a contestant to be more-than-just-a-random-person, then you should be able to post it for everyone.

And if you go by your mantra of "birds of a feather flock together", then that only furthers a Lesser need to ask everyone to spill out all their private information to someone they don't really know. If birds of a feather DON'T flock together at all, then something along those lines would be more needed; there'd be more of a "you never know who they could be". Marching by the stereotype of bird of a feather DO flock together, then there's more trust and less of a need for that.

Why haven't you posted your full, legal name on your profile and any other personal information required to do a check on you?

In his conflicting reasoning, he doesn't see a gal he's going to very possibly have a first-meet with as a stranger, but all other viewers are which is why he won't to all other mere profile viewers (they're strangers). Of course, if the gal is going to be a first-meet, he's going to want to know all the private info because she's a virtual stranger! But she should to him and feel comfortable with it, because he's not a total stranger. :)
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 128
Hurdles to jump over for Your Safety (My Opinion)
Posted: 10/3/2015 10:23:23 AM

Do you really think Eric confiscates the ID of all shoppers in the same aisle as him??

Shhhh bluemoon, don't blow eric's cover. LOL
 Ouija2025
Msg: 129
Posted: 10/3/2015 10:35:23 AM
I imagine OP checks under the bed for Demons ( paranoid) then sleeps under a blanket ( caution) Because of course the monsters won't get you while under a blanket. It is that dangling limb you have to watch for.
 Guerrero
Msg: 130
Posted: 10/3/2015 11:37:59 PM
For stupid people who personalized the thread, I am not going to go for this direction.

People usually are enemies for what they are ignorant of. Thus, they become afraid or paranoid. Ignorance is one of the elements of the underdevelopment triangle.

ANYONE THINKS S/EH SMARTER THEN THE SECURITY SYSTEM OF THE STATE, S/HE IS REALLY A BIG STUPID DUMB.

Any legislator generates the laws that achieve the security, safety, and relief of the people in the community, in accordance with the law enforcement department. That is why laws change sometimes, upon the suggestions of the law enforcement department and that is normal in every community.

There is no way to work in the United States without submitting Form I-9 and Form W4, what information is on these forms? Driver's License No. or SSN? SSN, WHY?

Both of IRS and MN Department of Revenue filling depend up your Driver's License No. or SSN? SSN, WHY?

Unemployment Benefits Insurance Program depends upon your Driver's License No. or SSN? SSN, WHY?

Now, after car accident, you can get a copy of your report. Among other information, the report will contain your name, home address, Driver's License No.? NO SSN? WHY?

The court records of MN made your DOB is public, WHY?

And there are uncountable examples. After your make your mind works for a while and think?

What do you show, your Driver's License No. or SSN CARD, at bars and tobacco stores for STRANGERS, either sales person or bartender? Driver's License? WHY?

WHY are the PEOPLE's employment addresses and home addresses are public information online? WHY?

Last thing, suppose now you lost your ID or Driver's License, you called the Metro Transit and they found and mailed it to you. They told you it was found by a STRANGER. do you think DMV Info MN? will issue you a new ID with a NEW NUMBER, ask them? IF they refused, then think WHY?

An ignorant with the Federal law regulations for federal grants, may spend JUST $10.00 on beers out of $5,000,000.00 grant. Do you know what penalty will be imposed upon this person and the company? For normal person they are just $10.00 out of $5,000,000.00. It is insignificant amount. For a federal investigator , it is a very big crime, and its results are devastating upon the person and company?

So, after answering all the WHY QUESTIONS above, between you and yourself, my ONLY QUESTION here is,

What someone may do with your name, address and ID or Driver's License No.?

Thanks
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 131
Posted: 10/4/2015 5:56:32 AM

Be Anonymous - protect your identity and personal information

- Choose a username that doesn’t let everyone know who you are. Don't include your surname or any other identifying information such as your place of work either in your profile or when you first make contact.

- Keep contact details private. Stay in control when it comes to how and when you share information. Don't include your contact information such as your email address, home address, or phone number in your profile or initial communications. Take things slowly and share more information when you feel comfortable doing so. It is impossible to get back information once you have given it away.

- Remember that overtly sexual, provocative or controversial usernames could attract the wrong kind of attention.

- Stop communicating with anyone who attempts to pressure you into providing your personal or financial information or who seems to be trying to trick you into providing it. If this happens contact the dating provider immediately to not only protect yourself but other users too.

https://www.getsafeonline.org/social-networking/online-dating/
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 132
Posted: 10/4/2015 6:03:10 AM

Guerrero :

Left for Dead: Woman's Attack Exposes Real Risks of Online Dating :

Mary Kay Beckman, 50, was just looking for love but she brought home more than she'd bargained for. After just a few dates with Wade Ridley, she was smitten, yet she had no idea that his intention was to smite her. Ridley had no prior criminal record. There was nothing particularly suspicious about him and yet what began as an eight-day whirlwind romance has become a $10 million lawsuit that Beckman is waging against Match.com.

On Jan. 21st, 2012, after she realized that it was not a match with Ridley and had called it quits on their short-lived fling, Beckman allegedly came home to find Ridley in her garage harboring a knife and the intent to kill. Beckman narrowly escaped the attack with multiple stab wounds and brain trauma due to several kicks to the head. Ridley's next ex-girlfriend was not so lucky. One month later, he allegedly broke into the apartment of Anne Simenson, 62, and murdered her much in the same manner he had attempted with Beckman.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/damona-hoffman/mary-kay-beckman-online-dating_b_2561380.html
 baconflavoredbacon
Msg: 133
Posted: 10/4/2015 6:12:16 AM
Guido, why are you verbally abusing people who Disagree with you?
 Guerrero
Msg: 134
Posted: 10/4/2015 1:14:24 PM
For those who wanted to turn the thread to be unreasonable fight by personalizing it, and bringing the Lord Almighty I worship, my height, my thinking, my response is
7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you"
Matthew 7:1-2

LLove2LaughToo

Thank you so much for the website. The website proves and matches with what I have just said before.

Please see the sentences below from the website,
- Take things slowly and SHARE more information when you feel comfortable doing so.

- Act with caution and LEARN more about someone before contacting him or her OUTSIDE of the dating site.

- There is a limit to an online dating provider’s ability to check the backgrounds of users and verify the information they provide. They cannot do a criminal records check on every user. And a person can become a problem without having a record. THEREFORE, don't get a false sense of security because you're on a dating site; DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH to learn more about someone and make informed decisions BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO MEET. CHECK to see if the person you're interested in is on other social networking sites like Facebook, DO A WEB SEARCH TO SEE IF THERE OTHER RECORDS of the person online, and if possible use google image search to check the profile photos.

Non-Experienced People called me paranoid, because I said the same thing exactly. Here is a website proves what I say. Who on earth has no mind meet a stranger without knowing enough about him/her? If s/he did, then good for you. However, blame none, but yourself and your mind.

Meeting In Person
-Let friends or family members know where you're going and when you'll be home.

How on the earth you could do that without giving your family some information about the person? Will you tell your family, Mom, today, I am going to meet an anonymous that all what I knew about him is his first name is John? Or you will tell her, Mom, I am going to meet John Smith whom his phone number is... and and lives in .....? thus, in case something happened, they can get him easily.

People go in rush for dating. Meeting person in public means you had enough information about him/her.

Left for Dead: Woman's Attack Exposes Real Risks of Online Dating :

They 2 stories were stated had nothing to do with abusing a ID#? What the ID# has to do with the stories?
Did any of the guys used her ID # in a way of another for doing something illegal? You can do nothing with someone ID#, you cannot open bank account, credit card, buy a house, rent an apartment,..etc. You cannot do anything with that?

Second, the base in the world that we are healthy people, and the disease is the exception. The stories you have just said could be occurred between husband and wife, and anyone you meet in a public transportation or dating for long time. Many people on this website have ex-girl, ex-boyfriend, husband, partner,etc. and neither of these hurt or got hurt anybody. I dated via this website and we broke up with each other, and life continued. As I am an eyewitness, I have NEVER had any trouble with any person I dated on POF. Even if, your neighbor may do it. Killers do not wait until their victims, till they be in their houses. Otherwise, how could you explain all of these sadly massacres at schools and theaters, from the massacre of Amish School Shooting in Lancaster PA 2006 till the massacre of Oregon college 2015?

Did Vester Lee Flanagan waited, until the WDBJ reporter Alison Parker be in her house to kill her? Although, he could follow her until her house, as he followed her to the scene?

The person should be caution but not paranoid. There is no way to eliminate the risk, but we do our best to reduce it.

As I kept repeating it. Everyone is free with his/her opinion. Nobody is responsible for the person's actions, but him/herself. This thread is a suggestion take it, or leave it behind, as simple as it is.
 474bluemoon
Msg: 135
Posted: 10/4/2015 3:10:02 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to share with you guys some steps I think they should be done before meeting woman/man in person. I think these step may save someone, someday, from dating a criminal, drug dealer, child support escapee, thief, cheater,etc.

1- Don't use text messages, rather than calling the person. Text messages do not show the age, sex, or even the mental/family status of whom you are talking with. For example, a married woman may text the guy, as a single woman with no kids, while in reality her husband or kids are yelling around her. Another example, a man under alcohol/drug influence will not be caught easily by texting, but calling.

2- Get the full name of this person and visit Criminal/Traffic/Petty Case Records and Civil, Family & Probate Case Records, to conclude the good idea about whom you are talking with.
http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/default.aspx

If the woman/man refuses to give you her full name, you should get suspicious . There is no single harm to know a person full know. Actually, many companies and organization put the names of their employees and staff on their websites, as everyone knows. So, it has nothing to do with privacy.

3- Public places and IDs. Meeting the person in first time in a public place is so important as most of you guys do, however, it is important to see the other person ID, to make sure s/he did not lie about any of the given information.

Again, this is just my opinion for the safety of everyone here. Hoping for everyone happy life and relationship.

Thanks!

Okay, again but by the numbers of your original dumb, IMO. Post -

1. I can give you my phone number and you still won't know if I'm single or married, how old I am or anything else. We can talk on the phone for three days straight. And you won't know if I'm lying or telling the truth. It's a telephone and not a lie detector.

2. Get a full name. See...here's the thing....I'm not giving anyone my full name or any other info before we meet for MY safety. His is where you screwed up with everyone, none of us are prepared to give our personal information to a stranger. None of us...just you. I have nothing to hide, I just don't want someone I haven't met yet to have my personal information so they can run a criminal or any other check on me or follow me home or show up at my office or show up at my yoga class or contact my ex or show up at my grandkids school.

3. I'm pretty sure all of us meet in an open and public place. The ID thing, nope, not going to happen.

Just your opinion? Yup, opinions are like azzholes, everyone has one. You do what works for you and I'll do what works for me and everyone else can do the same...whatever works for them.

Christine 6:1-5.

By the way, you're being judgmental, that's not your job.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 136
Posted: 10/4/2015 3:39:58 PM
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you"
Matthew 7:1-2

Oh well....*now* you've told us.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2015 3:49:06 PM

WHY are the PEOPLE's employment addresses and home addresses are public information online? WHY?

My Employment has never been, nor never will be Public Information, available online...
My Home Address, also, is not Public Information, available online....

Ask Theresa Saldana or Rebecca Schaeffer, what someone might do with their Address....
 Maleman999
Msg: 138
Posted: 10/4/2015 3:54:10 PM
Guerrero:
Find reliable statistics to back your claim that people having a first meet in a public place with someone they met on online, where they haven't checked the other person's background or know their last name yet, has a high chance of resulting in danger. Citing one or two specific cases is not statistics-and I'm not referring to someone who goes home with a stranger, because that danger is the same as with a guy picking up a woman in a bar.

Then check statistics to see how many people have been harmed or killed by someone they know very well (possibly for years)-boyfriend, girlfriend. spouse, jilted ex, etc., where the perpetrator had no criminal background. Which is higher? If someone has a history of cheating. or drug or alcohol abuse and has never resulted in being in trouble with the law, what kind of check do you do to find that out?
 Guerrero
Msg: 139
Posted: 10/4/2015 4:45:27 PM

VolkanoKing
Oh well....*now* you've told us

You are more then welcome. There is another one in the bottom.

BBEisBack
My Employment has never been, nor never will be Public Information, available online...
My Home Address, also, is not Public Information, available online...

Yes, I agreed. However, all what you have to do to apply for a job at a company or organization to check their website and click on contact us, or staff, and your will get the name, business phone number, and address of the company is known.

Ask Theresa Saldana or Rebecca Schaeffer, what someone might do with their Address..

Ask your neighbor whom you never contacted with what s/he might do with your home address? Ask people what they do with whole work addresses about staff in each company and organization online?
Eventually, ask the traffic police department why do they put your name, address, and driver's licenses information on a crash report and give it to a stranger that may have bad criminal history, and he has the motivation to harm you? If you read my thread before that, you will figure out the answer yourself.

Maleman999
Guerrero:
Find reliable statistics to back your claim that people having a first meet in a public place with someone they met on online, where they haven't checked the other person's background or know their last name yet, has a high chance of resulting in danger. Citing one or two specific cases is not statistics-and I'm not referring to someone who goes home with a stranger, because that danger is the same as with a guy picking up a woman in a bar.

Then check statistics to see how many people have been harmed or killed by someone they know very well (possibly for years)-boyfriend, girlfriend. spouse, jilted ex, etc., where the perpetrator had no criminal background. Which is higher? If someone has a history of cheating. or drug or alcohol abuse and has never resulted in being in trouble with the law, what kind of check do you do to find that out?

You are losing points, not gaining. Please find me a reliable statistics that putting your hands in fire, will hurt you. Or reliable statistics that walking in a dark street alone at midnight increases the possibly you might get hurt.

Logical thinking does not need statistics. The real fact here to be safe for online dating, there are rules should be followed. The person has the right to apply them or leave them. WHAT I SAID IS WHAT THE WEBSITE SAID. CAN ANYONE CALL THE WEBSITE'S WRITERS PARANOID?

I HAVE MADE MY POINT AND IT IS OVER

Forget about what I said, and apply the rules in the website below and it is up you. Any other word will be said here, will be pointless. If Ignored replying any person, that is because it does not worth my TIME OF WRITING to reply back.

See you in another thread! And really wish THE best for everyone.

Now, I washing my hands from everything and let everyone to decide what they want.

"When Pilate saw that HE WAS GETTING NOWHERE but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and WASHED his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!"
Matthew 27:24
 9Pluto
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2015 5:27:32 PM
Guerrero wrote:

Now, I washing my hands from everything and let everyone to decide what they want.

"When Pilate saw that HE WAS GETTING NOWHERE but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and WASHED his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!"
Matthew 27:24

One more lesson we can learn from today's sermon.

Hadith, SAHIH AL-BUKHARI (year: 846),

8.90, narrated by Abu Huraira:
The Prophet said: Beware of suspicion, for suspicion is the worst of false tales; and so not look for the others' faults and do not spy, and do not be jealous of one another, and do not desert (wash your hands of) one another, and do not hate one another; and O Allah's worshippers! Be brothers (as Allah has ordered you!)
 BBEisBack
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2015 5:30:33 PM
Well Tamer, why don't You list being a Vegan? Don't You think that might be some info, a Potential Date might find important?
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 142
Posted: 10/4/2015 5:39:43 PM

….what began as an eight-day whirlwind romance has become a $10 million lawsuit that Beckman is waging against Match.com.

On Jan. 21st, 2012, after she realized that it was not a match with Ridley and had called it quits on their short-lived fling, Beckman allegedly came home to find Ridley in her garage harboring a knife and the intent to kill. Beckman narrowly escaped the attack with multiple stab wounds and brain trauma due to several kicks to the head. Ridley's next ex-girlfriend was not so lucky. One month later, he allegedly broke into the apartment of Anne Simenson, 62, and murdered her much in the same manner he had attempted with Beckman.

This sounds fishy. Why was he still out and about and committing murder a month after attacking Beckman? apparently she had enough evidence to file a civil suit against Match, so why wasn’t he arrested?

Did any of the guys used her ID # in a way of another for doing something illegal?

There was ONE guy; he allegedly went after two different women who had given him their addresses….murdered one and attempted to murder the other. That sounds like he was doing something illegal to me.

I know you’re just trolling away a boring Sunday, and couldn’t care less about this. Nice touches with the broken English and bible quotes, sure to get a rise. :/
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 143
Posted: 10/4/2015 5:52:35 PM
I haven't posted here, but I've noticed a couple of things.

The OP keeps escalating and saying that everyone who disagrees with him is personalizing it. But he also calls everyone who disagrees with him stupid.

It's pretty clear by now that you're not winning any converts, and you're just pissing everyone off.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 144
Posted: 10/4/2015 6:38:25 PM

After just a few dates with Wade Ridley, she was smitten, yet she had no idea that his intention was to smite her. Ridley had no prior criminal record.

Guerrero, your entire argument is based on asking the person his/her ID, so you can then run a criminal background check.

If you read my previous comment, which I quoted, you should've noticed that Wade Ridley had NO PRIOR CRIMINAL RECORD at the time he met those two women.

So even if those women had run a background check on him, it would've came back clean. Now one of them is dead.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 145
Posted: 10/4/2015 6:50:14 PM
Wait just a minute here! Attempting to incite fear... Quoting the Bible out of context... He's trying to start a cult!
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 146
Posted: 10/4/2015 6:54:02 PM

SunshineGirl__ :
This sounds fishy. Why was he still out and about and committing murder a month after attacking Beckman? apparently she had enough evidence to file a civil suit against Match, so why wasn’t he arrested?

Good question. This is what I found:

Beckman met Wade Ridley, 53, in September 2010 on Match.com. But after eight days, she ended her relationship with him. Four months later, Beckman said Ridley broke into her garage and waited until she came home, stabbing her 10 times with a butcher knife. Beckman said when the knife broke, Ridley continued to stomp on her head before leaving her for dead.

After police arrested Ridley, Huffington Post reports he told police he was angry with Beckman for breaking off their relationship and that he "wanted to kill her." While in custody Ridley also confessed to the murder of Simenson.

He later killed himself in jail before he could be tried for either crime.

http://fox4kc.com/2013/01/25/woman-sues-match-com-after-brutal-butcher-knife-attack/
 south_city
Msg: 147
Posted: 10/5/2015 6:33:12 AM

.what began as an eight-day whirlwind romance has become a $10 million lawsuit that Beckman is waging against Match.com.

If she had met him at a bar or supermarket, I doubt she would have sued these places. If he didn't have a criminal record, there isn't anything Match could have done to prevent this.
 9Pluto
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2015 8:52:06 AM

If she had met him at a bar or supermarket, I doubt she would have sued these places.

If the bar or supermarket is poorly lit and had no security, and someone assaults viciously assaults you in their parking lot, you have the right to a civil liability (negligence) case against the establishment, in addition to the criminal case against the assailant. It is a common type of case and can only be decided based on the circumstances, claims, expectations, and facts of the case. Not a blanket generalization which ignores these details.
 south_city
Msg: 149
Posted: 10/5/2015 9:20:30 AM
^^^^^^^
If the attack had happened at a bar or restaurant, then I would agree with you. But that wasn't my point. I was talking about going out on a few dates with a person that you ( generic ) had met at these places. Then that person attacked you after it didn't work out. That's what happened with the man she had met from Match.
 9Pluto
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2015 9:33:51 AM
^^^I also agree with you in the generalities. The difference is that the bar and supermarket sell goods, not relationship services. Online matchmaking services typically promote their ability to provide you with a great relationship, so it gets murky. Claims raise expectations. If a business makes claims it cannot back up, it should not make those claims, or maybe add a picture of a bludgeoned corpse to their promotional literature in addition to all the happy couples, so they fully disclose the nature of what they offer to the starry eyed romantics they attract as customers. Definitely not a simple situation and one of the reasons that the courts are so busy these days.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Steps Should be Followed for Your Safety (My Opinion)