Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > being picky vs Lowering your standards      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jrb1979
Msg: 295
view profile
History
being picky vs lowering your standardsPage 13 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
You can call me selfish but where I am picky is my free time and what I do on my vacations. Its been very hard to find a woman who likes doing what I do for vacations. My vacations involve either going to different amusement parks to ride roller coasters or going to places like Las Vegas or Florida where there is something to do everyday. I could never go to an all inclusive resort to sit at at a beach all day. BORING. It has been very hard to find some one that wants to join me on these vacations.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 296
being picky vs lowering your standards
Posted: 9/20/2017 9:45:09 AM

My vacations involve either going to different amusement parks to ride roller coasters or going to places like Las Vegas or Florida where there is something to do everyday. I could never go to an all inclusive resort to sit at at a beach all day. BORING.

I've been in Orlando my entire life, and it's funny when people come here to visit. I often hear from them "wow, you guys have everything here!!", but much like people in Vegas, those who have been here long enough are no longer enthralled by it all. I will check out Volcano Bay eventually, though, since I can get in free.

I'm also one of the rare Floridians who's not a big beach-goer. I was when I was younger and surfed, but a shark encounter at the Cocoa Beach pier put an end to that.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 297
Posted: 9/20/2017 10:06:54 AM
" I could never go to an all inclusive resort to sit at at a beach all day. BORING. "

Well yeah, if all you do is sit.

But being at an all inclusive with a woman tossing a Frisbee in the water, lying in the sun drinking , going back to the hotel to work up an appetite and then pigging out at the buffet works for me !
 jrb1979
Msg: 298
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2017 10:29:54 AM
What you described to me doesn't sound like a fun day. When I was in Vegas I was doing something every day. One day I went to the Grand Canyon, another day I saw a couple of shows and gambled a bit. The last day I was there I went zip-lining in downtown Las Vegas. I relax on my days off at home, my vacation time is to see new things and experience things.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 299
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2017 10:34:58 AM
Are you looking for a traveling companion or a gf to travel with? There are sites for traveling companions. Yeah, its not always easy to find someone that specifically likes to do what you do. Some people don't even want to travel never mind travel in the same style. One of the best trips I've ever gone on was by myself to St. Thomas where I hit a bunch of the other Islands. I had a friend in St. Thomas that said he liked to do things with me, but I told him this is vacation for me I'm not just going to be sitting on a beach drinking.

I had an ex I remained friends with that went on a trip with his next gf and came back a crazy maniac, because she wouldn't go in the water. They were in the Bahamas. I find many couples don't jive on vacations. Finding someone that is happy to go "wherever" and will follow your lead is great. Thing is, they're plunking down money too, and may have requirements. When you meet a gal, you can ask her in the beginning what her idea of a vacation is. Don't discount compatibility for the rest of the 11 months out of the year for things to do together.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/travel-buddy-12800.html
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 300
Posted: 9/20/2017 10:49:51 AM
To each their own, I have no interest in swimming with dolphins, being crammed in a bus with a bunch of loud yahoos and/or almost dead tourists, etc

Being on a warm sunny beach with a drink in my hand in January when I know the weather sucks back home is good enough for me !
 jrb1979
Msg: 301
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2017 10:50:35 AM
I don't mind going on vacation alone as I don't it all the time but it would be nice to share my experiences with another person. I know quite a few couples that go on separate vacations all the time cause they don't jive on vacations. I am not against dating some one cause they don't want to go to the same places with me. I am willing to compromise on vacations if they like to do something else. I have noticed that a lot of the women in the area I live in never really want to go anywhere. Its not always cause of the money, I have noticed a lot of people won't go anywhere unless they have some one to join them.

My philosophy is I don't wait for some one to join me. If I did that I would never go anywhere. My advice to people is if you can afford it just go. You don't always have to have some one with you.
 sun___flower
Msg: 302
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2017 2:34:34 PM
BCC
Being on a warm sunny beach with a drink in my hand in January when I know the weather sucks back home is good enough for me !

+1

This
My vacations involve either going to different amusement parks to ride roller coasters

does not sound like a good time to me. I can see why you're having difficulty finding someone who wants to do this, JRB.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 303
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2017 3:08:40 PM
jrb, so many people are resistant to traveling. I'm going to be looking for someone that would like to travel and hope I just find someone that is so happy to start traveling and doesn't like to plan so that they will be happy to follow anything I have planned. My ex-h was good that way with going anywhere I had planned and doing anything I wanted to do. That's what you need. I'm sure that kind of person is out there for you.

The most recent guy I dated from POF said he let his previous girlfriend go on vacation herself, because he didn't want to go and it was just going to Oregon and we live in Washington State. His profile said he was game to do different things and try what you want to do but I guess not, LOL. I guess it was great to fill out his profile though. Some people just don't want to go anywhere or do anything. Some people are waiting for retirement which isn't really a good idea because why not enjoy yourself for all those years you're working and who knows what condition you're going to be in when retirement comes.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 304
Posted: 9/20/2017 3:16:11 PM
^ I can just imagine what going on vacation with you would be like. You would say to the guy "hey, let's go to Vegas! I love gambling!"

You arrive in Vegas, then tell the guy - "I never said I like gambling."
 NewYorker58
Msg: 305
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2017 7:38:04 PM
Pig, me? Why would I do that? I plan the trip so I know where I'm going and what I would be doing. Anyone that I've gone on a trip with has always had a fantastic time, because I plan things that we both want to do and everything goes off flawlessly. I was planning a short trip to Vegas and then on to the Grand Canyon and then to Bryce and Zion National Parks and other natural areas in Utah, but it seems the weather in Hawaii was going to be better and so I opted to go there. Actually, that was the one trip where things went awry, but it was for me, because I went into anaphylactic shock. And then there was the time I ate the deadly fruit of the beach on Mosquito Island, but that was also something that happened to me, LOL. Fun times!☺
 Walts
Msg: 306
Posted: 9/21/2017 3:43:38 AM
Many people love travelling yet, they have no clue what their own backyard looks like. There are many like that here in British Columbia, especially down here in the lower mainland. They have no problem dropping some coin to jump on a plane, to go, somewhere, else, yet have no idea what our province has to offer, just after the 150 km mark away from Vancouver.

Our area offers ocean, lake, rivers, mountains, and deserts. It gets even better if you actually get out of your vehicle and go for a little walk.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 307
Posted: 9/21/2017 8:07:16 AM
^^^^

I was blown away when I first discovered the Okanagan July/89.

I drove up from Osoyoos and when the view of Penticton emerged from behind the hills on the right of the Highway my jaw dropped.

But as nice as it is up there in the summer, it's pretty useless in the winter when you are craving hot sun and sandy beaches.

My last tropical vacay was Jan/12 - Cuba

Leaving was a nightmare. Had to checkout at noon but the flight was the next day at like 3am !

There was a place to check our bags at the hotel but the bus to the airport didn't pick us up til like 11pm and then you're hanging around the airport the rest of the time. I'll never do Cuba again if I have to repeat that way of leaving . NOT WORTH IT !
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 308
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2017 8:41:53 AM
Minnesota has been given the dubious title of 'Most Miserable Winters' in America several times. (Yeah, I know - go ahead and snicker, you Canucks) From an online dating perspective, the people here that want to travel with someone ONLY care about that trip they take for a week in February. That's all that matters. For the WHOLE winter. If you don't 'match' on their idea of a vacation, it's over before it began. Pathetic. What do they do for the rest of snow season? Stuff their face in front of the TV watching our sports teams almost accomplish something again?

I think these people are the same 'Boat Barnacles' or 'Biker Chicks' that only care about the freeloading lifestyle in the summer, too - because there is a definite seasonality to when you see the same faces online looking for a 'Relationship'.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 309
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2017 11:31:40 AM
Chuck, why didn't you arrange to have another day in Cuba and pay for a room? When I flew with my dog to Texas for surgery for her, my flight was leaving later in the day on the way out, so I asked the hotel for an extended checkout time which they granted me. I did this when I booked the room. There was no extra cost for that, but if there was one, I just would have paid it.

Being in Washington State, I have traveled all around the region from California and Oregon and Idaho up to British Columbia, which became like a home-away-from-home to me. I have been to a Vancouver Island and up to British Columbia numerous times every year. My thing is I love warm waters and I love to go snorkeling so I have traveled extensively in the Caribbean and have been to Hawaii a few times and to the island of Cozumel off the tip of Cancun. In the US, I would like to go to Utah, and in Canada, I would like to spend time in Banff and Jasper. Eventually, I would like to do a combo trip to Italy and Switzerland. I feel very lucky that since I moved to Washington state, every day feels like I'm on vacation here, because the state is so beautiful and there is so much to see here. When I speak to residents of Washington State, so many times they don't know the places I visited here because people don't even leave their own town. I could never live that way.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 310
Posted: 9/21/2017 11:35:31 AM
^^^^

One of the guys I went with booked the trip - another lesson learned there !
 sun___flower
Msg: 311
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2017 4:37:59 PM
Sour Dan
From an online dating perspective, the people here that want to travel with someone ONLY care about that trip they take for a week in February. That's all that matters. For the WHOLE winter. If you don't 'match' on their idea of a vacation, it's over before it began. Pathetic.

You cannot be this clueless. Pro tip: if someone gives you a pathetic excuse, they're not interested in you.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 312
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2017 5:35:34 PM
Chuck, I would never let anyone plan a trip for me. I let my ex plan a simple camping trip once and it nearly turned into a tragedy. He didn't check the tide so we couldn't cross a deep and fast running river to get back onto the trail after camping the next day. We had to go through a forest that had no trail. We passed a small spot where you can put a tent because the rest of the place was all dense shrubbery, and so I said let's just put the tent up here for the night and forge ahead the next day, and luckily we were eventually able to find our way out of the Olympics.

Dan, I think if a biker could find a woman that would just sit on the back of his bike and go along on trips with him, he would be a very happy camper. You're too worried about thinking women are taking advantage of men. If both parties are happy, no one is taking advantage of anyone. Do you think men with boats really care all the women they get to come on them are focused on the boat? He's just glad he can attract them and is having a great time.
 deconspire
Msg: 313
view profile
History
being picky vs Lowering your standards
Posted: 9/21/2017 5:41:08 PM
If you really know what you want, it's not that complicated, and there is no settling or whatever - you can afford to be patient. As you should be, and if not, re-compartmentalize your needs.

Everyone has standards. No hate.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 314
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2017 5:55:53 PM

Minnesota has been given the dubious title of 'Most Miserable Winters' in America several times.

And now the Minnesota Golden Gophers have a HC who cheated on his wife with a gal from a car dealership from the area of previous college he coached at. Minnesota gets 'em all, including PJ Fleck. :)

http://deadspin.com/wmu-boosters-wife-sues-message-board-posters-over-****-1684191151
(replace **** with the f word.)

BTW: It wasn't so much a rumor; and there never was a specific woman at car dealership in all the talks, but a lawsuit happened because he did end up with a gal when married, from the car dealership. Just interesting info for Minn folk! :)

Do you think men with boats really care all the women they get to come on them are focused on the boat?

Row the Boat! #RTB

Not unless after some drinks they'll be open to all sorts of stuff. It's like throwing a party. They're focused on going to a cool party. Average Joe in looks throws a big house party, and invites hotties because it's known to be a cool party. Yeah, coming in they're focused on the party, not to see Joe himself. But Joe uses this to get some trickle-down action. I'm sure if Joe never gets any action as a result nor any connections to get some action after several boat-parties -- he'll be frustrated (or if he's really old and is just fine getting mild female attention and seeing them dancing in bikinis).
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > being picky vs Lowering your standards