Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > being picky vs Lowering your standards      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dedelf6809
Msg: 201
being picky vs Lowering your standardsPage 9 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
People tend to vote for who they feel they "identify" with. They feel that candidate, or party, represents their beliefs. Looking at how someone votes tells you quite a bit about their morals and values. Voting for someone like Trump paints a terrifying portrait of your morals and values and it's not something that can be easily ignored.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 202
view profile
History
being picky vs Lowering your standards
Posted: 6/15/2017 9:29:02 PM
The guy that identified with Bernie just shot a bunch of congressmen. The left is full of people that don't tolerate other people's opinions. That's why these POF men state they won't date you based upon who you voted for. They're haters and snowflakes.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2017 9:57:19 PM

The guy that identified with Bernie just shot a bunch of congressmen.

The left is full of people that don't tolerate other people's opinions.

That's two different, unrelated thoughts - at least there was a sentence break. Should have been a new paragraph.

That's why these POF men state they won't date you based upon who you voted for. They're haters and snowflakes.
I wouldn't date you simply because you are name-calling. I don't give a damn about politics - but name-calling is something grade school kids do - not something a mature adult should see as O.K.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2017 10:20:35 PM
They're not unrelated at all. The correlation was that I showed the man was identifying with Bernie (in response to previous poster), and then acted out based on who he identified with, which is the intolerant left. The man was intolerant, henceforth, the shooting. What is name calling, because I said "snowflake"? You know it's a euphemism and a kinder term for what they are.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 205
Posted: 6/16/2017 5:11:52 AM
So SweetD
How do you feel about finishing up 4th grade?
"There's also Lady Alphas who feel compelled to be c*ck blockers for every group they gather"
 Dedelf6809
Msg: 206
Posted: 6/16/2017 1:52:20 PM

The left is full of people that don't tolerate other people's opinions
We're not intolerant of other people's opinions we're intolerant of those opinions being made into government policy. Your opinions are your opinions and you're entitled to them but for the purpose of this conversation you need to remember that your opinion, when made into government policy or repeated by politicians, has consequences for people. In some cases these opinions made policy cost people their homes, careers and even their lives.

I work in the community mental health field. A field that is funded almost entirely with money from the government. In 2016 6 agencies closed their doors permanently in the area I work in because of cuts to the state's budget by the conservative government. That's just the part of the state I worked in. More agencies closed in other parts of the state but I don't know how many. Because of conservative policies, which are formed on the backs of the opinions of conservative voters (like you), hundreds of mentally ill and intellectually disabled individuals lost the services they need in order to live in the community. I lost a dozen clients because of changes made in order to accommodate the new budget. Two of them have died in the time since then. One died due to not being able to get to her appointments or maintain her medications without the assistance we provided. One died when he had a psychotic episode and the police chose to shoot him instead of try other means to bring the situation under control. And it's going to get worse because even more budget cuts recently went into effect. On top of that we're in the middle of an opioid crisis that we can't deal with because the conservative budget doesn't allow effective options for controlling the crisis to be utilized.

Opinions aren't the problem. It's what happens when those opinions are voted into office. Those opinions are dismantling the field I work in causing instability in the community, causing me to wonder if I'm going to have a job tomorrow and costing people their lives. It shouldn't be too difficult to understand why I would hate people that share conservative values. I mean... your opinion is killing people. If you vote for these people putting these policies in place YOU are killing people.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2017 4:33:55 PM

The guy that identified with Bernie just shot a bunch of congressmen. The left is full of people that don't tolerate other people's opinions.

Yeah, he represents the left just as the guy who shot Gabrielle Giffords -- he must have been on the left because he shot her.

That's why these POF men state they won't date you based upon who you voted for. They're haters and snowflakes.

Exactly. The people on the right are so rational, just as you pointed out. They'd love to date haters and snowflakes! The haters and snowflakes just can't tolerate dating such non-haters. ;)

What is name calling, because I said "snowflake"? You know it's a euphemism and a kinder term for what they are.

Yes, that is actually flat-out name-calling. You know that. :)
 NewYorker58
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2017 5:14:44 PM
I know all about people losing their homes. It happened during the Obama administration.

I'm all for helping those that need it like disabled and mentally ill. Are you providing transportation? I know that Medicare covers some of this and local organizations offer free transportation, like senior centers and other organizations. Did you seek out other avenues for this? It's a shame that families do not help their family members and leave it to the gov't. I don't know that person's situation w/being psychotic, but you can't let someone hurt others because they're mentally ill. Family members love to step forward to sue, but not to help the person when they need it, and I do see that in the news.

Democrats want to help heroin users by opening heroin injection sites. Great, support illegal activities. These people need rehab, but they also need to want it, but they enjoy doing drugs. It's their choice. You can't control people's lives and that's what democrats want to do. Democrats love illegal activity and when there's a problem, they don't want to address it head on. Some people get hooked on opiods from being on pain meds and can address that thru their doctors. Democrats do not believe in personal responsibility.

You summed yourself up very well, you're one of the haters by your own statements. I don't hate you for your beliefs, but feel free to hate me and half of America. You sound very compassionate.
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2017 10:28:18 PM
Please, actually get educated on these topics before you post about them. Those injection places, are medically run. But you clearly can't be bothered to do the research to understand that while yeah, they need rehabilitation, you need to prevent overdoses. You know what someone is going to do when they're going through withdrawal from drugs like that? That's when it's common to "binge" on the drug. It's like the guy struggling with dehydration finally finding water. When you have a chemical dependency, it's not a choice anymore, you can't function without it, literally, if they don't have it, rational thought tends to go away. Their brain is in survival mode, the parts responsible for high level reasoning are shut down. Or we can do it your way, and leave it to the way it is now where overdoses are out of control and people are dying literally because they responsibly took a pain medicine exactly how their doctor prescribed it and fell into a dependence on it, because that's just how it works. That pill your doctor prescribed for your pain, that's heroin, in a pill. There's some chemical differences, but ultimately, they're the same. But don't be bothered to read the millions, yes, literally MILLIONS of studies on addiction and chemical dependence and all those other factors that contributed to why this is a LIFE SAVING IDEA... Just regurgitate what you read on Facebook with absolutely no context. Because your family is perfect, and it'll never be your own kid in that situation, ever....

But anyway, enough with the hypocrisy. So it's wrong to not want to date the kind of person who voted for Trump, because their morals opinions and beliefs that guide how they live their life are reflected by their votes? You know how many profiles I've seen that refuse to date anyone that's not Christian? A belief that's very heavily held by the right???? But that's OK? So, it's fine to not want to date someone because he doesn't share your belief of a god, but it's not ok to not want to date someone because your beliefs and way of life are going to conflict with each other? But it's the left that's intolerant, right? We're not going to get into a political argument, it's fun to argue with smart conservatives, but unfortunately, after reading your post, you're not one of them. You can't argue with ignorance. And it's the same played out lines by all of you Trump crusaders. The right is PERFECT, they shit gold, and every single little problem is all because of the left. Please, princess, leave political arguments for the intelligent, you're making your side look stupid. Plus, just throwing this in there, for common conservative views, you actually had a few candidates that were stronger to your belief, but you voted for entertainment rather than boring politics, for a job in politics. So that plays into it too. It's easier to compromise with a conservative who really understands their views, not what they read on facebook, than it is with someone who honestly believes a wall on the border of Mexico is impossible to just go around, over, or under. You see what I'm getting at? How do you make the compromises required for a healthy relationship with someone who backs the idea that banning people from flying in from a bunch of countries in the middle east, except for specifically the countries that have been responsible for recent terrorist attacks including 9/11 as a solution to deal with an ideology that's recruited our own military members right here at home? One has that analytical thought, the other never thought of "If people from Syria can't go to the US, ISIS can ust recruit people from a European country and send them instead since enough of the world hates us right now." Trump doesn't have solutions, he has entertainment. But all that failure is OK, because at least he's not liberal, because we all know that was the only factor in your vote. That and believing the Fox news hype (because every main stream news source is just for entertainment value and ratings, except for Fox, somehow they're the only exception, they never ever twist the truth) over Hillary and Benghazi investigation 9: The email server that was allowed, by law. Because FOUR AMERICANS, while ignoring the fact that we're still dying in Iraq over oil and a family quarrel...

Now, on topic: There's nothing wrong with not wanting a Trump voter... Because a trump voter is probably fiscally conservative, socially leaning more conservative, strongly religious... What kind of relationship do you see succeeding between that and someone who believes in liberal economics (literally what's responsible for you having the ability to read so that you can read this, btw), someone who believes and supports our tax money being used for programs to help keep Americans on their feet, someone who is religiously more inclusive but might not go to church on Sundays, and doesn't want to send their kids to bible school, maybe not expose them to religion until they're capable of the level of thought to form their own uninfluenced belief? You really think this is a relationship that's going to last? How do you expect home life to be if they have kids? But you never thought of that, did you? You never bothered to think that maybe it's because people who voted for Trump and people who didn't probably have opposite views on a lot of things that just don't work mixed together. Someone that likes to give to charities and someone who prefers to save are going to have fights about how their money is being spent. Or one parent wants their kid to be Christian, the other wants to wait until it's the kid's choice... Do you honestly see no fights happening from this?

So now, go ahead and tell me how that's somehow different than the crap-load of conservatives that refuse to be with someone who's not Christian, because I know you thought of that near the beginning of this post.
 south_city
Msg: 210
Posted: 6/17/2017 7:58:08 AM

They're not unrelated at all. The correlation was that I showed the man was identifying with Bernie (in response to previous poster), and then acted out based on who he identified with, which is the intolerant left. The man was intolerant, henceforth, the shooting. What is name calling, because I said "snowflake"? You know it's a euphemism and a kinder term for what they are.

There are idiots on both sides. Don't generalize an entire group due to some extremists. Back to the topic, voting for a particular candidate isn't necessarily a dealbreaker. The reasons for voting for that candidate might be though. With Trump, some people may have voted for him because they felt he would be good with the economy / jobs or they considered him to be the "lesser of 2 evils". While others may have voted for Trump because of his inflammatory rhetoric about various groups. The first 2 reasons would be okay. The last one would be a dealbreaker.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2017 5:15:36 PM
I know exactly what heroin injection sites are. County by county, they're being voted down by all the liberals here. Call me crazy for thinking it's not a good idea to sanction an illegal activity that harms people. But, one more program for the democrats to start, yah!!!! Oh, and then they get to raise taxes to support the program, happy day for a democrat!!!

I have known people who do heroin. I know all about addiction. You would be wrong, drug addicts have choices. They choose to get sober every day and do so. Rehab is the answer, not encouraging people to do drugs. Maybe you and the other dems don't understand, they're not just getting high, they are in the process of killing themselves. An injection isn't going to keep their kidneys from shutting down. If someone wanted to be revived and just keep doing drugs, they can because they can get that revive drug from the pharmacy here, so they are free to get high and revive themselves all day long, and that is what they are doing. One day someone responds and saves them, and later in the day, they're getting high again. So much for "helping" them.

You seem to see everyone as a problem if they don't share your opinion. People of opposing political views marry all the time, do you live under a rock? More well known are James Cavelle and Maria Shriver. It's not just about dems vs. republicans, they also marry people in the other parties. If a person is childish enough to let who a person votes for be a deal breaker, then so be it. I'm not childish that way and it's never been an issue in a relationship for me.

Don't know what you mean about Christians not getting along with others. That's in your own mind. I'm not going to go back and forth with you, because democrats are nasty these days and conversations with them just get nastier, because they can't tolerate anyone else's opinion, much like you.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2017 5:46:23 PM
NY58:
I'm glad these childish men identify themselves by saying they don't want to talk to someone who doesn't vote like them.
Well, there's a difference between "don't want to talk to someone who doesn't vote like them" and "don't want to talk to someone who's only capable of a procession of oversimplified cheap shots against the other side"..... like you have demonstrated right here. No wonder they move on...I don't blame 'em...I would too.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2017 7:11:35 AM

James Cavelle and Maria Shriver.

James Carville and Mary Matalin. From what I understand, they won't talk politics to each other. She must love his annoying personality. If it were me, I'd have strangled him years ago.
 spot4username
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2017 7:49:38 AM
The recent posts in this thread have made me think of my grandmother. Of course I always think of her on days like today when we are reminded to think of and thank those who have shaped our lives. My grandmother used to say "don't act ugly" She also used to say "water seeks its own level" and one that I remind myself often "consider the source".
 NewYorker58
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2017 8:34:00 AM
Yes, Carville and his wife, but also Maria Shriver and Arnold. I didn't mean Carville and Maria were a couple:)
 jrb1979
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2017 9:31:14 AM
I would lower my standards on what I find attractive as I have done that before. I am very picky when it pertains to the things I do in my free time and if it ends up being I am single for a long time cause of it, so be it. My summer weekends are mostly spent up at my trailer or I am off to an amusement park to ride roller coasters. Its hard to find a woman that wants to do that all summer but I am not about to change any of that. It does make it hard to find some one to date but I would rather stay single then give up what I love to do.
 spot4username
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2017 9:37:02 AM

I am off to an amusement park to ride roller coasters. Its hard to find a woman that wants to do that all summer

Maybe it is because I am in a state that is home to many amusement parks but you will often see them as an interest on both men's and women's profiles around here.
 jrb1979
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2017 9:49:22 AM
I wish I lived in your state. Where I am from a lot of the men and women are either gym rats or homebodies. It does make it that much harder to date here.
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2017 7:52:45 PM

If a person is childish enough to let who a person votes for be a deal breaker, then so be it. I'm not childish that way and it's never been an issue in a relationship for me.

If you're going to say that, then can we agree that refusing to date someone just because they don't believe in the same god as you is equally as childish? If it's wrong for someone on the left to not want to be with someone who's the polar opposite of a lot of their views that are going to be reflected on how they raise their kids, then it has to also be wrong for someone on the right to not want to date someone who doesn't believe in a god. Again, why is it OK one way, but not the other? Seriously, if you're going to talk so much shit, step up and explain this.

You keep calling us intolerant, but like so many others like you, you completely dodged the whole issue of your hypocrisy. What's wrong, too scared to admit that your side and your religion isn't perfect? Not dating someone because they're not christian is pretty intolerant, along with a shopping list of special treatment people who follow that religion demand while stepping all over everyone else's beliefs.

And develop a chemical dependence to something and come back here and say that it's a choice, like it's that easy.

BTW, you're in no position to be commenting on how these people look.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2017 12:33:23 AM
I'm not dodging anything. I don't know what you're talking about with Christians not dating outside their religion. It's simply not true. Look at Trump's daughter, she switched religions and is Jewish now. I really don't care if people want to date in or out of their religion or date someone who belongs to the same political party or not. That's up to them if they want to limit themselves.

Why does someone develop a chemical dependency......they made the CHOICE to do drugs. Don't do drugs and you won't have to worry about dependency issues. So simple.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2017 2:32:42 PM
Oh that's right, Arnold and Maria were on opposite sides of the political fence. I goofed.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2017 9:59:12 PM
I see why you're Purple Rider. I like your ride! I used to have a Yamaha Virago. I loved that bike! I rode everywhere on it, locally for grocery shopping or visiting friends to rides that were hours long to get someplace. I've gone camping with it too. I have a pic of it on my page. It's black w/a lot of chrome, very sharp looking. I can still hear it purring after I started it, and miss the roll on the throttle when the light turns green.
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2017 12:59:48 PM
If posting links to profiles wasn't a good way to get banned, I'd show you. But you can do it for yourself, just search women, especially in the bible belt. It's not uncommon for "MUST LOVE CHRIST!" But you won't, and we all know that. To deny that this happens is complete BS.
 spot4username
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2017 1:06:56 PM
^^^ The vast majority of profiles in my area have something mentioning religion in them. Men and women. When I had my profile "for dating" I have had variations of:
"I chose Non-Religious. For me personally that translates to atheist. If this is a problem for you that is fine and I invite you to click next. "
posted. I got a pretty good sized amount of hate mail because of it. Keep in mind this was just three sentences in a fairly good-sized profile.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2017 2:47:49 PM

"I chose Non-Religious. For me personally that translates to atheist. If this is a problem for you that is fine and I invite you to click next. "

Not to sound like Technical Terry here, but a-theist just means non-theist (just as a-bacterial = non-bacterial). So my point is, it'd be getting ahead of oneself to assume non-religious = non-theist. All theist means is someone who believes God(s) exist, is all. Many of said people are non-religious... and many are folks who aren't that different than the layman who's non-theist too in day-to-day life. A non-religious person many times will fly just fine with a mere non-theist. However, someone who's merely non-religious but theist may not fly so well with an anti-theist (which is the "street term" for a-theist; solid difference between a-theist and anti-theist; like a-bacterial vs anti-bacterial).

I got a pretty good sized amount of hate mail because of it.

A reflection of the results of theist falsely redefined on the street as = anti-theist. "If you're not for us, you're against us," as the saying goes -- being the motive as to why the street-term becomes "the" term for most... hence, you say "atheist" and people gasp as if you dropped the F-bomb - lol.

But I when it comes to politics and religion (and sports) -- it can and should divide people as potential mates. Especially in politics these days, where it's so massively devisive to an extent that makes human society look silly. People are SO bought into a political side of the fence because "I was brought up that way" (as if one should have any Loyalty to that) -- and many times just bought in AGAINST an opposing side (so indirectly so much for the other)... to the extent that Pride (one of the seven deadly sins, if we're going to bring religion into this - lol) underneath it all is the main motive to be that way.

Hopefully some time next decade it'll all die down. In the meantime, it is good when you don't know someone from Adam (except their profile writings) -- to step away from those who seem to be solidly on another side of the political (or religious) fence as you are.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > being picky vs Lowering your standards