Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > If you could ask God one question, what would it be?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kidreason29
Msg: 326
If you could ask God one question, what would it be? Page 14 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)

How about a question of 'why does God allow bad things to happen?'

1. because we let it happen
2. because everyone is god
3. because for there to be free will there must be good and evil
4. without the bad you would not recognize the good
5. wrong question
6. because everything suffers
7. because god doesn't intervene
8. because we call it 'evil' when to god there is no evil

these are some the answers I've heard
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 327
view profile
History
If you could ask God one question, what would it be?
Posted: 5/5/2016 11:44:08 PM

Very poor argument for one who took Philosophy 101 (not saying you, but those who say, as you point out). There are supposed to be ups and downs, WTH and Hell Yes, etc. Of course. That's a non-literal good & evil, but can certainly feel the same way emotionally in the present. But for most folk, it's not about that stuff -- it's about what runs deeper in the engine -- where you still have that, but where it's Unnecessary. That's where fundies fail. There can still be a 'god', don't get me wrong -- but the fairy-tale Middle Eastern God (Xianity/Judiasm/Islam) fails when taken Literally.

4. without the bad you would not recognize the good

Same concept. You don't need an unnecessary wiping disease or asteroid or easy-to-come-up-with 'bad' to nix that argument.

8. because we call it 'evil' when to god there is no evil

Or in another sense, it Can't be evil -- because it's god's universe, thus, it can't be bad/evil/etc. It must be good, and we define good as what Is. If that's not brainwashing, I don't know what is, when they say that.

7. because god doesn't intervene

That's the best & reasonable argument. It nixes the notion of god playing any sort of hand in our game, answering any prayer, defeating any evil, etc -- where in this infinitesimally small blip of time due to an afterlife (allegedly) being eternal that's good/bad/in-between levels, it doesn't matter that you suffer, so it doesn't matter that He doesn't intervene. If there is an eternal life on any level of truly You, then your life would be the equivalent of having 1 moment of on-your-own in the kitchen grabbing a cup. So? Me, God, doesn't intervene. Why is that bad? You have Paradise coming to you.... or I'm just the creator -- I don't create the snowball effect to intervene to control your destiny (see Star Trek of advanced civ vs primitive).
 kidreason29
Msg: 328
Posted: 5/6/2016 1:48:54 AM

Very poor argument for one who took Philosophy 101 (not saying you, but those who say, as you point out). There are supposed to be ups and downs, WTH and Hell Yes, etc. Of course. That's a non-literal good & evil, but can certainly feel the same way emotionally in the present. But for most folk, it's not about that stuff -- it's about what runs deeper in the engine -- where you still have that, but where it's Unnecessary. That's where fundies fail. There can still be a 'god', don't get me wrong -- but the fairy-tale Middle Eastern God (Xianity/Judiasm/Islam) fails when taken Literally.

It is the wrong question to ask, therefore it leads to an absurd answer.

The most fundamental question in philosophy should be, "What should be the question I ask?".
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 329
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2016 9:32:13 AM
Why does god let bad things happen?

A good beginning to the answer is in the recent batman vs superman movie - which bads should he address? Which people or group of people get chosen against? As soon as such an entity starts waving his magic wand, he unavoidably 'sides' with someone over another. And that can get really tricky.
 kidreason29
Msg: 330
Posted: 5/7/2016 1:15:50 AM

It depends on the words good and evil, but supposing that these concepts can be absolutes, then to say:

If only in heaven there is an absolute good, means there has to be no free will as there would be no other choices to make in heaven other than what must be the absolute good.

Unless that is to say, you can only be in heaven, if you always did the absolute good thing, by will, and if you didn't you would get sent out, thereby keeping heaven 'an absolute good'.

Good and evil aren't the words I would use today as they along other words have scrambled meanings to other people. You would first have to define good and evil before you have used them, before assuming the reader knew what you meant.

I wouldn't use 'good and evil', rather I would use 'negative and positive energy'. As to what causes negative emotions, irregular/abnormal heartbeats, abnormal states of conscoiusness
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 331
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2016 1:27:19 AM
At this point I'd have to be technical in the sense of saying to not get good/bad confused with good/evil.
 GlacialEyez
Msg: 332
Posted: 5/7/2016 7:40:01 AM
I would ask "Please Lord will you have mercy on these people, they know not what they do"
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 333
Posted: 5/7/2016 3:44:15 PM

Please Lord will you have mercy on these people, they know not what they do

There will be no mercy bequeathed upon those who cannot duly claim ignorance as an excuse for their wanton disregard and mockery of the universal "source" whence our embodiment & consciousness is drawn.
 xlr8ingme
Msg: 334
Posted: 5/7/2016 4:58:23 PM
^ I might not agree with a lot of what you may post, but I personally believe this to be 100% correct.
 mark/1948
Msg: 335
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2016 1:11:57 PM
well since your g-d is all powerful and vengeful, how about g-d making his presence to everybody. g-d could produce a guide in a public place w/verification of every religion and every political group present. just like in the movie the ten commandments, except this time make it public. to not have that is akin to having drumpf carry on about his winning ways, and how to trust him. to have faith in an entity that has caused wars, famine, disease, and mistrust in all of mankind is foolish, live the golden rule and it will have the same results w/out the hocus pocus. ok g-d the ball is you court. 1...............................2.............................3....................................i'll hang up and wait for your answer.
 kidreason29
Msg: 336
Posted: 5/9/2016 5:54:28 PM

well since your g-d is all powerful and vengeful, how about g-d making his presence to everybody

If god did so, everyone would ask god for something: intelligence, love, money, desires, etc. Then it would just defeat the purpose of life, when you have an entity that could just grant any wish. It would just bring Chaos if god should his presence. People would probably start sacrificing others to have the god come back. Society/life wouldn't make sense if god was always there... think about it.

to have faith in an entity that has caused wars, famine, disease, and mistrust in all of mankind is foolish

So god is to blame for all of this? Another reason why a god wouldn't show is presence, everyone would blame the negative on it because it is capable of making it avoidable. Life wouldn't make sense if everything was 'perfect'. It makes sense that a god wouldn't make show its presence. Humans would go nuts
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 337
Posted: 5/10/2016 6:41:05 PM

well since your g-d is all powerful and vengeful,

and yours isn't?

how about g-d making his presence to everybody.

who did "g-d" make his presence known to so far?

to have faith in an entity that has caused wars, famine, disease, and mistrust in all of mankind is foolish,

then why are you afraid to state (or write) his name.

live the golden rule and it will have the same results

the "same" result as what?
 funchesf
Msg: 338
Posted: 5/11/2016 12:35:36 PM

Posted By: kidreason29
If god did so, everyone would ask god for something: intelligence, love, money, desires, etc

isn't asking God for stuff the reason why people pray .....for instance asking for desires... oops ..er.. I meant asking for Love is why God created "Christian Mingles'

Posted By: kidreason29
So god is to blame for all of this?

well The Lord Almighty did intentionally create the situation with prior knowledge of the outcome..he even admitted to creating most of them and that in itself makes him "guilty as charged"

but you're welcome to become God new defense attorney to perhaps get him off the hook for causing Famine, Earthquakes, Tsunamis and other general nuisances .... his last defense attorney was a tad bit hostile and was actually posting things in his defense that aided in The Lord Almighty's conviction for crimes against humanity

why did you make the Lake of Fire only 7 times hotter and not 8
 mark/1948
Msg: 339
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2016 5:59:38 PM
1. no, i choose to live by a code of doing (trying) no harm, and hope for the same. 2. people claim to speak for him, and w/him and know what his feelings are (him i just for convenience). 3. i am not afraid to write g-d's name, it's just a show of respect to some people. ok, her goes..GOD....whew that was close. 4. the same results as following any religion, for they all have that (rule) as a tenet of their faith.
 xlr8ingme
Msg: 340
Posted: 5/11/2016 6:09:23 PM
Most religions started with someone having a private idea / dream / or encounter with an angel. That single someone then spread their truth.

Jesus spent three years traveling, preforming miracles, and teaching in public.
He was executed in public. The public tomb he was laid in was found empty after three days.
Jesus showed he was still alive publicly. Then it was the public that spread these truths.

In this dispensation of grace (where even all the posters that do not believe may find forgiveness for eternity),
GOD does not cause famine, nor anything else mentioned. Humans have caused many of these these things to happen. We as man continue to destroy the earth, and nature has a way of destroying man. I dislike the way many dissect portions of biblical scripture to suit their debates, but do not believe a word of what they are quoting.

I have posted the simple road to Christian salvation many times. If anyone is interested look it up. Its all over the internet.

Peace out, and I sincerely hope everyone is content with what they choose to believe, not believe, or what ever they choose.

mark/1948
Msg: 341
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2016 7:16:10 PM
see therein lies the problem. all the sand religions are based on abraham being the father. do the people of this blue marble need and entity to guide them? maybe thousands of years ago. now we know the difference between good and evil. and it's not a god or a devil. your statement is so hollow about christian salvation, as if no one cane live in peace w/out christ. if that works for you fine, but don't condemn or feel sorrow for someone who choose's to not believe. to you jesus is/was alive because a book told you so, but if you really looken into it, it's just a rehash of other stories. the question was what would you ask g-d?????????????????? why not show yourself and give everyone the benefit of your spirit, or are you just toying w/us? since g-d is supposed to be everywhere, he would read this and answer, but instead he will make a piece of toast look like jesus, or make a picture weep.
 kidreason29
Msg: 342
Posted: 5/11/2016 8:12:28 PM
Zen, Tao, Buddhism, etc are going to be the only 'religions' of the future, eventually the Abrahamic religions will die out. that's my prediction
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 343
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2016 1:49:30 AM
Oh Lord why don't you buy me a Mercedes Benz? Take care Janis.
 basilisk123
Msg: 344
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2016 2:05:28 AM
"What is up with the contradiction of giving us humans free-will if you are just going to smite us whenever we do anything you don't like?"
 kidreason29
Msg: 345
Posted: 5/17/2016 5:56:43 PM

"What is up with the contradiction of giving us humans free-will if you are just going to smite us whenever we do anything you don't like?"

is your idea of god really that from the holy bible, or are you just pretending to be a Christian?
 basilisk123
Msg: 346
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2016 12:33:46 AM
It is as far as the rhetoric I hear almost every other day by "real" christians. Burning lake of fire and all that nonsense.
 kidreason29
Msg: 347
Posted: 5/19/2016 8:58:10 PM
yo mama soo fat... you are unable to differentiate the difference between her being there and not being there, because she is everywhere
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 348
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2016 5:35:38 PM
yo mamma so fat...she has an event horizon.
 kidreason29
Msg: 349
Posted: 5/21/2016 5:51:24 PM
yo mamma soo fat... when they study her they learn the laws of astronomy
 gingerosity
Msg: 350
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2016 6:15:37 PM
Your mother is so fat... general relativistic corrections have to made to adequately describe the precession of objects in her vicinity.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > If you could ask God one question, what would it be?