Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > If you could ask God one question, what would it be?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 flman2015
Msg: 76
If you could ask God one question, what would it be? Page 4 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)

God commands us to forgive AND forget, we MUST obey.

I'm very pleased you see it that way.

Your delusion commanded the deaths of thousands of people at the hand of the grand inquisitor in ways that cannot be considered any other way but, barbaric. Who knows how many thousands of deaths your delusion is responsible for in the crusades not to mention the millions of Jews that your delusion commanded Hitler to murder and, that is just a small sample of the atrocities your delusion is responsible for.

I can see why your delusion commands you to forgive. It's obviously in your delusion's best interest to command you to do so.

Good thing the first commandment is "thou shall not kill". Remember this:Actions speak louder than words and the shameful actions commanded by your delusion are indelibly written in the pages of history with the blood of millions of innocent people. Your delusion's forgiveness is a synonym of murder.

“forgive and forget”

Rather convenient, particularly the last part but history never forgets.
 kidreason29
Msg: 77
If you could ask God one question, what would it be?
Posted: 11/13/2015 1:04:45 AM

dubya dubya dubya dot we-don't-know-shit.

one eight hundred wah-wah-wah.

Newsflash - This just in: The feller known as God has been arrested. This God feller has been charged with a long list of offenses, which include various kinds of murder, rape, extortion/blackmail, theft, harassment...and on MANY counts each. Though it appears as though he will not stand trial for having been found to be unfit and incompetent for any legal proceedings. This God feller will probably be taken to an asylum for the totally and completely insane.

The feller-formerly-known-as-god is regularly visited by spiritual leaders of various faiths, wishing to provide him the opportunity to atone for his many sins and to ask some higher-power for forgiveness. Due to him being completely insane and mentally ill in almost every way that has been quantified by psychologists, however, any visiting spiritual personage gets poo thrown at them.

The feller-formerly-known-as-god does regularly have other visitors as well. Many who want to be his wife, or simply his closest buddy. His number of visitors of this sort rival those of Charles Manson.

He's not very good at maths either.

Leviticus 11 23

But all other flying insects that have four legs...

Insects that have 4 legs??

You'd think the guy that's supposedly created these creatures would remember how many legs he'd stuck on them. Maybe moses was just to embarrassed to say anything.

Using religious text to bash god is no different than using the texts to uphold god. You are no different.

I don't identify god as the one described in the texts, yet as an atheist you do, which is counter-productive since you don't believe in a god, yet you formed some sort of construction of what god is apparently. This is no different than having a belief. Otherwise all this is again, is religious criticism, which is a simple mans game.
 funchesf
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/13/2015 4:58:15 AM

Posted By: andyaa
It's not plagiarism if you acknowledge and cite the source.

if that was true no one would ever write a term paper again ...they would just embed or encrypt the cite source into their paper and claim the work as their own ...which is why citing the source doesn't stop it from being plagiarism it simply reveals who or where the work was plagiarised from

One thing I've learnt, if you've thought it, many have thought it before you. Why reinvent the wheel

perhaps Humankind was under the misconception that people weren't robots and possess their own originality and individuality ...but then again..."you will be assimilated...resistance is futile...we are PLAGIARISTS"

I don't really want to get into a definition debate

is that an indication that you're not going to "Google Cut and Paste" from wikipedia or the dictionary any more

Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

I am is what God described himself as to moses

Moses said to the Israelites "I Am The Lord" ..."I Am" didn't mean that Moses or Jesus were claiming to be the Lord but a way to inform the people that each was sent by the Lord ...

The Father and I are one.

Any of this ringing a bell?

find a Christian that would claim that they are not one with the Father and you would have found The Anti-Christ

Either your claim is he was lying as he was not God

my claim is that Jesus talked in parables and is not God

but anyway glad to see you using the bible instead of wikipedia and the dictionary to debate the bible
 funchesf
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/13/2015 6:08:00 AM

I don't really want to get into a definition debate

...er...are you sure

WHAT IS PLAGIARISM?

sure seems like a definition debate

ACCORDING TO THE MERRIAM-WEBSTER ONLINE DICTIONARY, TO "PLAGIARIZE" MEANS

it appears that you're so addicted with the "Google Cut and Paste" from wikipedia and the dictionary that you're trying to find ways to justify it as being something other than plagiarism

instead of citing the source or hiding behind the thoughts of the author... why not just invite the author of the works to the forum so that they can answer the questions

this entire matter can be solved it you simply use your own original thoughts .....but alas ...if you can't ..I'll understand
 funchesf
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/13/2015 6:43:03 AM

I wouldn't have to point it out to you.

well actually you pointing it out appears to be beyond your capability... perhaps instead you would "Google Cut and Paste" it out ....

which presents a question to ask God....if one has to google cut and paste from wikipedia...is it Free Will or lack of Will
 funchesf
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/13/2015 11:20:11 AM

Hey, I can only lead a horse to water...

or in your case "Google Cut and Paste" the horse the water and the path from wikipedia

Ask God? God is a false belief, your showing signs of unclear and confused thinking, unable to determine what is real or not... Where's that definition of schizophrenia gone?

Schizophrenic behavior is when a person such as yourself claim that God is a false belief but yet run to wikipedia to find secular definitions to prove that God actually exist in three separate entities as one entity

If it was a lack of Will, there would be no post, logical.

logically it points to a stepford wife, a robot, or one of the BORG continuum posting

God knowing the time of revelations is bound by quantum effects,

jeez...so now a God you claim is not real is bound by quantum effects......are you sure you're not a Scientologist?

that is why when debating about the bible you should get your examples from the bible and then you'll only be guilty of spewing Faith...not insanity
Posted: 11/13/2015 5:00:34 PM
kidreason29 :

Using religious text to bash god is no different than using the texts to uphold god. You are no different.

I don't identify god as the one described in the texts, yet as an atheist you do, which is counter-productive since you don't believe in a god, yet you formed some sort of construction of what god is apparently. This is no different than having a belief. Otherwise all this is again, is religious criticism, which is a simple mans game.

You're missing what's really happening here. We're not bashing god. We're bashing what people believe according to religious texts...and the careless reasonings that they often employ...in order to show that they shouldn't rely on those texts, as well as to show what's wrong with their reasonings.

Moreover, at least to speak of myself, I have no problem with the idea and possibility of a god's existence, and I think that it should be open for discussion. But it should be done with a little more responsibility and intelligence, not with religious dogma and not with the very unscientific and intellectually irresponsible reasonings that are often employed by the religious.

Aprilikeswhiteroses :

It is not that we give ourselves the importance forgiving someone who hurt or humiliates us.

God commands us to forgive AND forget, we MUST obey...

You're missing something vital as well - what you're doing is displacing. You are 'giving yourself the importance'. When you say that it's really god and not you...the problem is - how do you know that it is god? How do you know that god has told you this? Just because you believe or claim that it's god commanding you to do something...does not sidestep the fact that in fact it is you deciding to do so, and you can't claim a non-existent excuse as an excuse.

If you want to forgive, or forget, that would be fine and good. But it should be because you are of good character and understand the ethics of such a thing, not because you claim that your god made you do it. But more to the point here...no one is having a problem with you being a good person, and forgiving and forgetting (as long as it really is good to do so in a particular case), but instead you got the responses that you got because you're exhibiting that weird condescending obnoxiousness of passive/aggressively imposing your larger wacked-out belief structure when interacting with other human beings - the part that is at issue is not the forgiving stuff, but it's all that other crap that it's a part of.

for us human being it is impossible to truly forget sins that have been committed against us.

You need to understand that other people may not have this limitation. We might indeed find it very easy to forget, and without any religion. However, it might not always be such a good thing to just forget. We have brains so that we can accumulate knowledge and remember stuff. If a sin deserves to be forgotten, it may well be 'forgiven'. But if not, then it may not. And that's a very practical and ethical thing - things shouldn't be forgotten and forgiven just for the hell of it...btw, I bet that not one single person in all these forums can comprehensively explain the practical purpose of "apology" and how it should really be done.

andyaa :

Funchesf does that weird thing of at least knowing a little of what he's talking about, but always combining it with some wacked out shyt and simple pointless 'remarks' like he's trying to provoke and troll. Just say no. Don't feed it too much. But then, on the other hand...I haven't made up my mind yet whether or not you deserve such an antagonist.
 gingerosity
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2015 5:22:06 PM

comprehensively explain the practical purpose of "apology" and how it should really be done.

Practical purpose from an evolutionary standpoint? Living in groups, transgressions against others around us are bound to happen quite often. Apology and forgiveness are mechanisms our primate ancestors developed for maintaining peace and social cohesion. How should it really be done? Grooming and bananas, obviously.
Posted: 11/13/2015 5:27:07 PM
Well, you're not wrong. But that ain't it.

And, concerning what I'm talking about, the modern equivalent of grooming and bananas just doesn't cut it for me. Grooming and bananas, when incapable of doing it right and being straight with me, is just more of an insult to me. I really hate the approach of grooming and bananas. Somebody tries to pull the grooming and bananas thing on me...they dig themselves into a deeper hole.
 gingerosity
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2015 5:58:14 PM
Ah, but you have to cut the other apes some slack. They were brought up in a materialistic culture and haven't had the genes and environment that would have allowed them to see the hollowness of such gestures. To them it is indeed a meaningful expression of themselves because that is what they have been told it is.
Posted: 11/13/2015 6:10:03 PM
Yea, I'll just take it and make banana pudding.

But seriously though...well, no. No, I'm not gonna do it. Not gonna explain myself yet. I've made the claim that no one understands what it's really about, so I'll give everyone a few days to prove me wrong instead of jumping the gun. I'd really love for even one single person to do so. That'd give me hope for mankind.

Aprilikeswhiteroses...come on. You're kind of obligated to take a crack at it, since you're so keen on the idea of forgetting and forgiving. When it comes to interpersonal reconciliation, and even on larger scales for that matter...do you know what an 'apology' really is, why it's important, and how it should be executed? (The concept of 'apology' is enlightening to so much more than just apologizing. That's why I bring it up and make it into a big deal. It opens a door to wisdom on lots of other things.)
 gingerosity
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2015 6:34:22 PM

When it comes to interpersonal reconciliation, and even on larger scales for that matter...do you know what an 'apology' really is, why it's important, and how it should be executed?

Well the laypersons definition would be along the lines of an admission of wrongdoing and expression of regret. I'm guessing you want something more than that, since it isn't particularly enlightening.

Wrongdoing depends on your prespective of morality, so you could be asking for an answer such that it is the expressed realignment of one's moral perspective to a position of agreement with that of another.

Or you could be asking for an answer with more psychological jargon like 'displacing'. Banana pudding will experience displacement to my stomach if you leave it around for too long... and that is the door to true wisdom.
Posted: 11/13/2015 6:50:23 PM
Heh, yea...I'm looking for a certain wording. More technical I suppose. Part of the point in that is I feel that if a person can say it a certain way, can explain it in a certain technical way, and of course hitting all the right points, then that would show that they really understand what it's all about.

Stuff like 'admission of wrongdoing and expression of regret' is too easy, too automatic-cliche, and doesn't really explain anything.

We're kind of in that realm wherein people believe that they know it, but they really don't, and whenever it goes right in the real world it's almost just luck and hit-and-miss.

(I'm going to hold on to that phrase, "admission of wrongdoing and expression of regret", for later showing how this is inadequate.)

Post edit btw - another reason why I've ended up focusing on this is because understanding the concept has surprisingly far-reaching effects on the whole world and society all the way up to the largest scales.

But anyway...night night ya'll. I'm going to listen to Hearts of Space.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2015 7:40:07 PM
My understanding of the biblical forgiving is not so much that you actually forgive the person per se, but that you lift the burden of the weight you are carrying because of what the person has done and you give it to G*d to deal with, not you. You take it off of you and give it to him, completely, having faith that he will deal with it as he does. It's not longer your burden to carry.

The ideal is to forgive and forget but as I said it is hard for me to truly forget.

Are you sure you are "supposed to forget". I don't think that is the case.

funchesf
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/14/2015 5:35:06 AM

Posted by: andyaa
You know there are people out there who truly suffer with schizophrenia and would be very sad to see you belittling it with definitions of someone visiting wikipedia.

it can not be disputed that Secular and Religious extremism correlates with delusion, that the more extreme one are the more delusional they will act... which means if you're in the forum trying to prove that Queen Elizabeth is two people in order to prove that God is three people it's extremism and you displaying signs of schizophrenia

Posted By: drinkthesunwithmyface
You're missing what's really happening here. We're not bashing god. We're bashing what people believe according to religious texts..

bashing belief due to religious text is the same as bashing the believer and their God ....at least to thine own self be True

But seriously though...well, no. No, I'm not gonna do it. Not gonna explain myself yet. I've made the claim that no one understands what it's really about,

is your unwillingness to explain yourself a promise or a threat .....or perhaps it's a question to ask God

God why won't "drinkthesunwithmyface" explain himself

do you know what an 'apology' really is,

oh Jeez not another definition debate

Apology is the attempt to absolve oneself of guilt
Forgiveness is the attempt to adorn oneself with power
 gingerosity
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2015 6:24:53 AM

oh Jeez not another definition debate

That's disingenuous apology, not genuine apology. That's the sort of apology you'll see in the media reported as apology. If you see every apology in that light you're saying that people can only ever have manipulative intentions and never just be accepting their errors to take responsibility for their personal development... which would be being overly cynical.
 kidreason29
Msg: 92
Posted: 11/14/2015 8:08:44 AM
[Spirit Science 15 ~ Power of the Heart ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c3AVj66ahg

some might not like how the information is presented. some of it can be deemed pseudo science, such as the thing with the crystals. There is a video that connects everything together, as a theory, which I considered irrelevant, it just brings up interesting things I never knew about, for example the video above on the heart.

Also see video on astral projection.

We are souls with a human body, not humans with a soul.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 93
Posted: 11/14/2015 5:13:59 PM

God why won't "drinkthesunwithmyface" explain himself

You are the funniest guy on the forums. :)
Posted: 11/15/2015 1:27:18 AM
funchesf :

You're missing what's really happening here. We're not bashing god. We're bashing what people believe according to religious texts..
bashing belief due to religious text is the same as bashing the believer and their God ....at least to thine own self be True

You see? This is what I mean about twisted wacked out shyt. I don't know why andyaa bothers with you, or even myself for that matter. I'm obviously guilty as well at the present moment. Paralleling sunshine's comment, it's like you're only here for entertainment and games. I swear, sometimes I think that we indulge you folks too much, and you all are all about the popcorn. But hey, it is funny, and fun, else I wouldn't play along myself. What would the boards be like without certain types? Keep up the good work. Hope you never go away.

Looking at my sentence and your response to it above, the first thing wrong with it is that you're not even responding to it. Not just that you didn't understand it, but like you didn't even read it or think about it at all. Instead, you did that crazy thing of jumping sideways to something quite different. The second thing wrong there is...well, it's something wrong which you're unwittingly pointing out for us - That trait of religion which discourages discussion and examination because it makes it become something so personal, as if it were a personal insult or offense to discuss it. Making it immune from examination and discussion.

But again, that's a very different thing compared to what was being talked about at the moment.

Do you have some kind of Ouija board with dice that you use to just make stuff up when posting?

(kidreason29)

I already mentioned this - We should take a look at this book. Seems like an interesting approach. At least so far:

http://gizmodo.com/a-new-way-of-thinking-about-spacetime-that-turns-everyt-1741498475

funchesf :

I expect to get horseshyt as an answer, but I'm going to ask this again anyway -

...it can not be disputed that Secular and Religious extremism correlates with delusion...

You who use these terms in this way...exactly what are you trying to pretend that they mean, putting them together like this? "secular and religious extremism"?

What is extremism to you? What is secular to you? How do you believe that both of these correlating with delusion cannot be disputed? You like to make up crazy comments...so explain this one. And explain it without just making up more crazy comments with your random Ouija board and dice.
 funchesf
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/15/2015 6:54:58 AM

Posted By: gingerosity
That's disingenuous apology, not genuine apology.

a Rose by any other name is still the same, ...an apology is an apology whether forced coercion or heartfelt the intent is to absolve guilt

Posted By: gingerosity
If you see every apology in that light you're saying that people can only ever have manipulative intentions and never just be accepting their errors to take responsibility for their personal development... which would be being overly cynical.

it sounds more like you are describing "asking for forgiveness"...instead of "giving an apology"

Posted By: kidreason29
We are souls with a human body, not humans with a soul.

and now you are beginning to understand what I meant by ..."The only Absolute Truth is the existence of yourself to yourself because everything else could be a delusion" ....including your body

Posted By: SunshineGirl__
You are the funniest guy on the forums. :)

I don't try to be...stuff just comes out that way

I don't know why andyaa bothers with you

Dude don't blame me if "andyaa" is not giving you quality time

it's like you're only here for entertainment and games.

..er...like...DUH ....and why are you here,.... to get your Master's Degree in Dating Forum-ology

You who use these terms in this way...exactly what are you trying to pretend that they mean, putting them together like this? "secular and religious extremism"?

the term covers all Mankind ..it means that one does not have to be religious to sound and act religiously delusional

the term is in response to "andyaa" when he was trying to use a secular concept of Queen Elizabeth being two separate entities to prove a religious concept of God being three separate entities ...going outside the bible to prove what's in the bible is delusional...aka Secular Extremism

What is extremism to you? What is secular to you?

oh jeez another definition debate ...which one is this, number 12 ...you guys are incorrigible

And explain it without just making up more crazy comments with your random Ouija board and dice.

explain a definition that has multi meanings..seriously? ..but anyway word of advice...never mess with a Ouija Board

Fallacious Reasoning! You can't prove anything from an analogy, only hope to improve informal understanding ie, The concept of the trinity is analogous to the corporate sole

three power rangers jumping on top of each other to form one giant power ranger is also analogous to The Trinity and your secular term of a "Corporation Sole" ...a lot of nutty stuff can be "Secular Analogized" to The Trinity which is exactly why one shouldn't venture outside the bible when debating the bible because they sound nuts

you claim that you don't believe in God but yet state that God is bound by Quantum Effects...you do know that sounds nuts..er...right?
 kidreason29
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/15/2015 12:34:47 PM

you claim that you don't believe in God but yet state that God is bound by Quantum Effects...you do know that sounds nuts..er...right?

it depends on ones concept of god, a god could be limited or have an end. although some would not call it a god since it isn't omnipotent. god is another definition debate, and there are more definition debates to come when you define god.

as for having an idea/concept of god and not believing It, is possible, but if they were to state something as if it were true, then it would be a belief, which would contradict that they don't believe there is a god. for example, I don't believe there is a god, and god is "statement here"; is a contraction

they would have to say, if there were a god, I believe it would be limited. The second part a belief, but the first a hypothetical

oh jeez another definition debate ...which one is this, number 12 ...you guys are incorrigible

we should probably not use relative or subjective words, this would create too many windows of interpretation, sometimes all they do is add icing onto the cake or add to insult
 kidreason29
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/15/2015 1:18:13 PM

I already mentioned this - We should take a look at this book. Seems like an interesting approach. At least so far:

http://gizmodo.com/a-new-way-of-thinking-about-spacetime-that-turns-everyt-1741498475

I will eventually read about such things: philosophy of physics; which could have many implications, heck I'll be taking first year physics over the summer.

As of now I don't have enough knowledge to figure out what could be its implications. But I would assume quantum mechanics is on the forefront of philosophy(as for what It could imply on reality, etc) and science.

what I do know is though, once there is an observer, reality behaves differently. I would have to read that book first though to really say anything
 kidreason29
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/15/2015 1:51:24 PM
there's a good book on chaos theory I'll consider reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Chaos-Making-Science-James-Gleick/dp/0143113453/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447624176&sr=1-1&keywords=chaos
 gingerosity
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2015 1:33:44 AM

Why are the people on this forum so petty?

http://xkcd.com/1458/
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/16/2015 3:58:30 AM

Why are the people on this forum so petty?

Lol...mr grouchy I mean mr swamp dude this is for you.!

https://youtu.be/3P74f5QPQgs

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > If you could ask God one question, what would it be?