Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Where are all the Aging Stoners?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 51
Where are all the Aging Stoners? Page 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Not to sound like a bleeding heart, cause I am far from it but, which comes first. Addiction, mental illness and/or homelessness?

Go ahead, and give it your best guess.
 crookcatcher
Msg: 52
Where are all the Aging Stoners?
Posted: 10/12/2015 3:33:12 PM

Yeah..you know who I feel sorry for? The rest of us who have to live in the hell they are allowed to create.

Who allowed them to create this hell? The very people you voted for are the one's responsible for allowing it to continue let alone starting.

It's no different than crime. Issues are ignored, swept under the rug and everyone turns a blind eye...until it affects them.

Get vocal, call your local politicians out on the subject. Make them responsible for their lack of action.

Homelessness is everywhere. I believe it's Hawaii that either tried or is rounding up the homeless and flying them back stateside to the destination of their choice.

You can keep yours and take ours as well. I'm sure they would love the weather over there. If you give us your address I would make sure to pass it along. Letting them know that they would be more then welcome in that neighborhood.
You do welcome them in your neighborhood?? and we can count on your neighbors to think like you??

Get a grip and lighten up. When this was said.....

Perhaps, a discussion on more funding and expansion for community based mental health facilities is in order since homelessness is linked to the deinstitutionalization movement.

Throwing away or ruining a homeless person's belongings may serve as a method to achieve your goal of making them someone else's problem but it also serves to highlight a lack of compassion and empathy. Very sad.

I'm going to venture a guess this was referring to society in general, local and state agencies responses to complaints from citizens such as yourself. :/
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/12/2015 3:51:59 PM
"The very people you voted for are the one's responsible for allowing it to continue let alone starting."

Actually, I didn't vote for Reagan, nor am I in the habit of blaming politicians for EVERYTHING in life. These scumbags decided to waste their lives and trash this community.

Thanks for the suggestion of putting pressure on our local politicians. Been there, done that. They do not care and are removing themselves from any sort of responsibility. Our local councilman, who is a worthless piece of crap, has completely dismissed our concerns and continues to alienate himself from this district. Our mayor is being a p*ssy and refusing to get tough with this issue, shivering in his shoes over looking discompassionate. The LAPD generally wont touch any of it because their hands are tied. The amount of paperwork and hassle issuing citations and hauling in truckloads of filthy garbage to store as "possessions" is completely impractical and everyone knows it..it's just a way to protect the encampments and herds of dangerous drug users and violent thieves in this area.

Nothing is getting done because *no one wants to do anything*. So it's a stalemate. Meanwhile property keeps getting destroyed, stolen and broken into and I continue to step over passed out alcoholics on the way into the store.
 Walts
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/12/2015 3:56:50 PM

These scumbags decided to waste their lives and trash this community.

You really have no more need to add anything after that line.

Honestly.

You don't.

It's going to take you a lot longer than a "year" to figure this one out.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:04:47 PM
Well..don't send any more of them here but many travel to NYC for the benefits. NYC will house homeless families in hotels and set them up.

There was a guy I used to see 2 blocks away who was sleeping in his car. His car was loaded with all his stuff and he had a cat living in there. We gave him some cat food.

Anyway he was on the news weeks later how he was from Florida and drove all the way up so he could get on the housing list because there are MORE choices here. Mind you, he probably ended up in an apt that is more decent than my dump( NYC housing is old and dumpy lol).

That being said, in my experience MOST of the homeless who are single, and out on the street are mentally ill. Many are veterans even. I have passed many a tour conversing with some of them. Heck, they are more likely to come to your aid than the liberal civilians. Sad really!

In the winter it is illegal for them to be out when the temperature hits a certain point and they are forced into shelters.

That being said throwing away THEIR property is wrong, and technically criminal behavior. They have the same right to having property as you do and I am shocked none of them have punched you in the face yet. You see homeless former vets aren't exactly panzies..you know?

The LAPD generally wont touch any of it because their hands are tied.

Why would they want to? You realize the germs that they carry? Heck if a boss tried to get me to put my hands on a homeless guy I would go "med" 2 minutes later and take 6 months off. No cop in their right mind is going to touch homeless people..we know where they hang out and what they touch.

bamagrl68
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:08:58 PM
LAgoodguy- You are only looking at the problem from when the person is on the street.
That's like going out in a boat with a hole in it and bailing water to stay afloat.
The better approach would be to fix the hole and the best approach would be to keep the hole from happening to start with.
It's a complex issue that starts WAY before they end up homeless/addicted/mentally ill.
When you build a house, you don't start with the roof, you start with the foundation,because the foundation HAS to be there before the rest of the house can go up.
Your ranting about the homeless, ONCE they are homeless is like you standing there fussing because you are mad about that roof not hanging in mid air.
Don't bother shipping anything to me, I wouldn't want to take your time away from pouring smelly fluid all over the last possessions of someone that has nothing else left.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:09:24 PM
I wonder if it was “PC” to shut down all the mental health facilities (loony bins) a few decades ago which greatly increased the number of mentally ill homeless people when they all got tossed out with nowhere to go.

bamagrl68: your post 49 broke my heart.

However, the interesting thing is Amsterdam..it is illegal to be homeless there, thus, the streets are neat, safe and 100% free of transients and drunks. Thing is though, you will NEVER get the US to invest in that much mandatory housing…

Amsterdam puts its criminals in “mandatory housing”? is that a PC term for “prison”
or “loony bin”?

this thread has really opened my eyes.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:14:04 PM
Amsterdam needs to make room for the pot heads and hookers in the windows...I guess homeless don't fit in with that image.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:26:40 PM
Ding..ding..

Perhaps Amsterdam is where the OP will find aging pot heads.
 kj521
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:34:47 PM
Maybe so, Joey. But not free love. ;)
 bamagrl68
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:42:05 PM
Sunshine girl- There were two mental facility's about an hours drive from where I live.
The largest one closed two years ago.
Some were sent to other facility's, others to group homes, still others that had family that were willing to take them.
Many wind up right back on the streets, a lot of the time they wind up in jail,where they serve their time untreated, are released and the cycle starts all over again.

Yeah, it wasn't an easy childhood.
I try to not speak in absolutes, like never, but obviously it's pretty hard to break me. I'm fairly strong and could with stand it, but I don't look down on people who can't.
What I went through is why I chose nursing and why I feel compelled to help others, if I can.
I broke the cycle, at least with me and my children, I guess it's ok to say I'm pretty proud of that, but more than anything, I am forever thankful that someone was there for me and sent me on the right path.
It's not something I'm going to forget or take for granted.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:46:45 PM
Bamagl68.
What you went thru was not easy to say it mildly and you have my respect for that, I do mean it..

Not to go into details of what I do for a living but I work mostly with people that have drug and alcohol addiction.
I'm proud to say that I helped many people to kick off the alcohol addiction. With hopes that they would stay away from it in the long term. For most of them the family and friends cut all contact with them cause they used up all the help available and people don't want to deal with them.
I must also say that many of the people nothing going to help them. They need to hit the bottom and hit it hard before there is a chance for them to try and do something about it.
I'm also a realist when I say you need to pick your battles and know when some people nothing going to change them.
I been to many rehab centers and talked to one or two doctors.
We are talking about homeless people now. Most of them are beyond help. Reason one is mental issues. You cant just pick them up and lock them for there own good so you can give them medication. Unless they are threatening to hurt someone or are violent. Then when they get out they tend to stop taken the medication. Back to where it all started again like a revolving door.
You got some people that actually like living on the street. Its living in a structured life that they have a problem with.
That was the old man I had to deal with.
We do have VETS living on the street but they get a lot more help now.

Back with the homeless conversation. Many of them have problem but it don't mean that everyone has to give up peace of mind and safety.
Here in LA we have homeless that come from all over the country cause we have the better services available to them. Yes as much as everyone thinks LA sucks we have the better services. The problem is that we have more homeless people then NY and a few other large cities put together. We also got the chronic homeless people. They one that you cant help. All you can do is try and feed them and stay on top of it but they are still going to be homeless. Be happy if no one dies or get hurt. Skid row even police would not walk there with no backup. Its worse then you can imagine.
Is there an easy answer for it all no there is not. Lets be honest too when we say they attack and rob people. They break into cars and houses and shit all over the place. How many women would feel safe walking home in the evening after dinner with friends when there is a homeless camp around a corner. So here are some that say we should not be bothered or worried if there are some homeless people camp out in the area. They are just regular people like you and me. NO they are not. Its not safe for anyone to live in that area why would any one want it in the first place.
Some people who drive to the homeless shelters to help feed the needy then they drive back far away to there own little worlds to say how good they are for helping the needy when they don't need to see them till next time.
Same time why would someone like VK have to deal with them at her place. Why should she be afraid to go outside at night?? why should things get stolen from her yard? Why should walking outside she has to smell urine and poop. IF someone says they don't mind that great there are cheap place for sale here in LA for that reason alone
 kj521
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:52:08 PM
Ms. Bamagrl and Ms. Sunshine....

If you want to understand why we have fewer psychiatric institutions just google...deinstitutionalization movement. There were very valid and good reasons for it yet it was also detrimental to a subset of the mentally ill that need institutionalization the most. Nothing in life is perfect.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2015 5:01:37 PM

The problem is that we have more homeless people then NY and a few other large cities put together.

Link your source please.
Not true base on what I read..you just see them more since they aren't sheltered in the high numbers ours are. Per ca-pita though..LA does have more homeless..since it is puny in population compared to NYC(3.5 million vs 8.5 mil).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/29/homeless-sheltered-map_n_4680940.html

www.huffingtonpost.com/joel-john-roberts/who-is-the-homeless-capit_b_4886379.html

Why should walking outside she has to smell urine and poop.

LOL...most of NYC smells like that..even 57th st(billionaie row)
 bamagrl68
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/12/2015 5:08:59 PM
LAgoodguy- I've never been to LA, you are there, so you know far better than I do what it's like.
While I also respect you for working with people with alcohol and drug addiction, it was the comment about pouring smelly fluid on the possessions of the homeless that I felt in my HEART.
God, that's awful.
Some of them are veteran's, I can get fighting mad over anyone doing something like that to a vet,or any human being.
By NO means am I suggesting that stealing from someone, attacking someone, the other things you talk about, is ok.
It's NOT.
If someone steals from you or any one those other things, of course you are going to get mad,it's wrong.
Needless to say, if someone attacks you, you have every right to defend yourself.
It's just that those things things are NOT always done by the homeless, people WITH homes litter, steal, hurt others. etc.
But, last I checked, two wrongs don't make a right.
PLEASE, DO defend yourself and your belongings, I would do nothing less, but just say you won't EVER pour smelly fluid on someone's things that has almost nothing.
That GOT to me.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/12/2015 5:21:19 PM
So OT some of you people are getting, IMO

How did we segue from 'aging stoners' to 'homeless miscreants'?

Surely this, where it is now, belongs in the 'Off Topic' thread.

Most 'aging stoners' just quietly inhale and don't tell~
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/12/2015 5:24:21 PM

Ms. Bamagrl and Ms. Sunshine....

If you want to understand why we have fewer psychiatric institutions just google...deinstitutionalization movement. There were very valid and good reasons for it yet it was also detrimental to a subset of the mentally ill that need institutionalization the most. Nothing in life is perfect.

No, nothing is perfect, and nothing is simple. Without funding understaffed over stressed abuse and horrors I can’t think about in “snake pits.” Not everyone had family and I would imagine some were there because family couldn’t handle it.

There is an old “batwing” building in my area that was a dumping off place for the poor, elderly, mentally ill, etc. it is located in an isolated location, with miles of farmland and state or county land; I can only imagine how isolated it seemed in the early last century, watching family members drive off leaving you there alone with strangers to go on living their lives without you. Ugh..

bamagrl68, you are a real inspiration. You have touched me. Thank you for sharing yourself so openly. :)

So here are some that say we should not be bothered or worried if there are some homeless people camp out in the area. They are just regular people like you and me.

No one has said that.

Edit:

Ask at your local head shop.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/12/2015 5:29:24 PM
We dont have to prove via links that LA has a HUGE homeless problem and that skid row is the largest concentration of homeless in the nation. Splitting hairs like that and trying to compare problems makes no impact on what is actually going on here. It's a waste of time.

The majority of transients in my community have stolen possessions and set up huge encampments filled with garbage in front of businesses. I'd be happy to dump all that crap and get rid of them via a high speed train out to Slab City where they can do meth, set fires and live under prison politics. We live and work under the law. The transients don't.

And just to make it clear..these are not sad, pathetic homeless that just need a little help because they lost a job. These are chronic druggies and thieves who steal everything that isn't nailed down. They continue to try to live in the local park, putting mattresses under the skate ramps the kids use. The gates were finally welded shut on those things and a transient violently attacked the welder who was trying to seal up the hole they made. They also just recently screamed threats at a women saying THIS WAS THEIR PARK, marking their territory. Last time I tried to take my dog for a walk there I ran into a huge encampment with blankets and garbage all over and empty vodka bottles spilled out next to kids playing soccer. I've called and reported all of this to our park ranger captain who is the only Godsend in this hellhole situation, he repeatedly ousts the transients but for every group of 5 he gets out 10 more show up and start shooting up. I remember walking by one guy on a blanket who was convulsing, and seeing 4 of these scumbags pile into a restroom stall together to do drugs. Residents find needles and empty "medical marijuana" bottles in the gutters.

A local mini mart owner told me he went into the restroom there and found a naked transient passed out on the floor with a needle in his leg. He called the police and they did nothing. He is continually dealing with theft, including a homeless woman who screamed at him to call the police and he said why..then she snatched $50 worth of candy off the shelf and ran out the door. He's also had transients threaten people pumping gas at his station next to the mini mart, intimidating them into having them clean their windows for money whether they wanted them cleaned or not. The police do nothing.

My closest friend in the world was recently cornered and threatened by a transient in the bathroom of a restaurant in Pasadena..he threatened my friend who is 69 and not exactly a tough guy, saying he was going to assault him if he didnt give him a blowjob. Luckily someone was in one of the stalls and that got the guy moving out the door, and when my friend yelled to the people at the restaurant to call the police no one did.

Zero sympathy for these asshole scumbags..and I mean ZERO-from me.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/12/2015 5:36:26 PM
CarefreeBeauty- It was mentioned first way back on page one.
This isn't the first thread to go off the rails.
So, to the subject of the thread..............
I'm guessing all of the "aging stoners" are wherever they moved to, currently.
That seems to make sense. :D
I didn't contribute to the thread until it got interesting, IE, went off the rails, because the answer to the ORIGINAL question was slightly obvious.

@ sunshinegirl: Thank you :)
 Brisco414
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/12/2015 5:44:27 PM
^^^ @ VolkanoKing --

I have zero sympathy as well. I also live in L.A. county -- the equestrian part of the valley where a couple of weeks ago I stumbled across a homeless tent on one of the trails while out for a ride. Just a matter of time before more start popping up.

Then we have the sign holders pleading for money ....shopping centers, freeway on-ramps -- everywhere.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2015 6:09:50 PM
First, I'll say I'm not experiencing what Volcano is, and I'm sorry. My view might be different if I was.

Homelessness is not a new problem or just a USA problem. I read a book about Chinese history for 1000 years. They had homeless people and had to decide who was responsible for helping them, their home town (the original method) or the town they were homeless in. They decided that wherever the people were homeless, that municipality was responsible. But notice, the argument was NOT whether or not to help, it was just a matter of which place was responsible for helping. The homeless were taken care of.

Another history book explained that the gangs of brigands in Europe were actually displaced workers banding together in crime. That's what happens when people have no way to support themselves.

We used to have mental institutions. Then they all got closed down, with the promise (haha) of community care. But no one wants to pay for community care, we all want tax cuts instead. We saved money shutting the institutions, but we didn't then allocate that money for community care. There is a continuing struggle here in Michigan over cuts to care for the mentally ill and developmentally disabled. Same story, more cuts, less funding, fewer services, etc.

There used to be rooming houses, but they got zoned out of existence. There used to be welfare for unemployed people, not any more. So in the past, people were institutionalized, or they got a pitifully small welfare check, here it was about $160 a month. Then they paid $100 a month for a room. And at least they weren't homeless.

There are multiple reasons for being homeless. It can start with losing a job, or yes, drugs or alcohol use. Or mental illness. Throw two or three of these together and you get the perfect storm.

But in my job, I saw many cases where the individual was vulnerable through no fault of their own, and relatives wouldn't lift a finger to help. Sometimes I would cajole or shame people into helping. Sometimes I failed. I remember one man who was homeless and needed IMMEDIATE help. His sister refused to take on a task for him, not costing her money, just time. Unfortunately he died outside in the cold. Then after he was dead, she asked our office for money. It was a good thing I was off the day she called.

This evening I went to a fundraiser for homeless women. The proceeds will be used to purchase ladies essential hygiene needs.

Twice a month I go to the inner city of Detroit and help feed the homeless. I'm part of a small non profit that prepares a real hot home cooked meal. We do not hand out bologna or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. It's real food cooked literally at home. The recipients of our efforts are usually polite, appreciative and helpful. When I pull up and park my car, they recognize me, and come over to help carry things. We make it a point to speak to everyone in line with respect, and look them directly in the face. Lots of people avoid their gaze on the street. They usually smile and thank us. Several say bless you. If I get points for that, I should be able to get past St Pete easy. It's a mutual love fest, LOL.

I think this might turn off some of the men I talk to or meet. Few compliment me on my generosity. Recently a men I met expressed concern about going to Detroit. I told him I go to Detroit all the time, for all kinds of things. He said, "Well you have to worry." I said no, I don't worry. Stuff can happen anywhere.

In Florida didn't they pass a law against feeding people on the street?

So no more institutions, no more welfare, no more rooming houses, a sham attempt at community care. Few resources for getting off drugs or alcohol. Fewer still for women and pregnant women.

There you have it.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/12/2015 6:10:34 PM
Brisco..The area you speak of is essentially where I live. This is the area along the wash where about 100 transients live and have ruined the environment. Ironically, just across the street from the huge area of the camp they are building $800,000 luxury homes..and already tools and building supplies left on the property have been stolen. The company that is developing that land right there have no idea what they are in for. The street is what we call the "Zombie Thoroughfare" where the scumbags parade up and back to the main street thru town and back into the wash. The idea of spending almost a million dollars for a home a few hundred feet from a nest of thieves, druggies and crackheads makes me laugh. There are going to be so many problems in the next year.

HalftimeDad
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/12/2015 6:18:56 PM
I remember when we used to be amazed by how expensive the houses in LA were.

Now a million might get you a 1 bdrm and den if you were willing to live a hundred feet from a nest of thieves, druggies and crackheads here in Vancouver.
 Brisco414
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/12/2015 6:19:26 PM
VK -- Yup ...right down in the wash area. Just a matter of time before we get some drought relief to flush them out -- at least I hope so.
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/12/2015 8:38:19 PM
To me it is so sad that possessions are more important than people...not all the homeless are addicts, there was a show on the other day and one of the homeless was a MBA from Stanford who had gotten laid off and couldn't find another position and lost everything. Imagine going thru the hell of being laid off (not your fault) losing everything cause everyone else was laid off and no one was hiring and then have the individuals who have such a disdain for the homeless...all because it affects their property values etc.

As long as in the US we allow the stigmatism to remain on those who are mentally ill --they will continue to fade out of society by going to jail and then becoming homeless and then try to medicate themselves to just get thru the day.....gosh imagine how horrible having a mind that doesn't work correctly and the way our supposed christen nation deals with it is to throw you in jail and then after you get out so now you have a record and no one will hire you--leaving you homeless for the rest of your life...this is such a sad situation

Whoever said there by the grace of god go I--exactly...it could happen to any of us with a couple of bad things happening...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Where are all the Aging Stoners?