Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Where are all the Aging Stoners?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Seki1949
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Where are all the Aging Stoners? Page 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Who allowed them to create this hell? The very people you voted for are the one's responsible for allowing it to continue let alone starting.

The real villains here are the ACLU, the Court system, and advocacy groups that left the American people unable to discriminate between the appropriate policies for a mildly batty 'Aunt Betty' and the next 'Charles Manson'. For the first, leave her alone and for the second, lock him up.

I have always been impressed by the God-like powers attributed to Ronald Reagan by some. (Not necessarily the quoted poster.) Although he was only governor of California for eight years, he single handedly created a national homeless problem that has stretched from Seattle to Boston for multiple decades. This has been a useful straw man for the left for decades. Jerry Brown continued and expanded the same policies in his eight years as governor.

Here are some useful links:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=001063;p=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Hospital

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involuntary_commitment

(Yes, I know two of the links are Wikipedia. Savvy users of Wikipedia can tell the approximate quality and reliability of specific articles. Hint 1: Review the Talk Pages. Hint 2: Follow the links back to the original sources.)
 Seki1949
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Where are all the Aging Stoners?
Posted: 10/12/2015 11:39:00 PM
ohenryx:

"White Bird" was by "It's a Beautiful Day".
Another song long forgotten from that era was "What's wrong with our schools?" by "Sweetwater"

Two groups that got airplay but didn't quite make the major leagues (although they should have.)

The last two times I went to San Francisco it was dirty and unsettling. Some of this is just me aging but some of it is SF is less pleasant to visit with the beggars on the streets.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/13/2015 8:41:57 AM
San Francisco is disappointingly gross. I actually really like the city and the bay area, I used to travel up there for business and was grossed out by the filth and complete nutjobs everywhere. The city is EXTREMELY expensive to live in now, and when I was there you'd be in a 2 million dollar home right next to low income housing and all the squalor that comes with it. SF is very very welcoming and tolerant of transients. I used to watch them in their mentally ill haze twirling around in the streets and the dancing/running to the shops, I ran into human feces on the sidewalks and there was always some guy with a hustle to "watch your car" in a public parking lot who was just a homeless guy shaking down people for money. SF is a beautiful city with beautiful views, I actually like it more than LA, but the transient thing is insufferable. Most of it goes back to the 60's with the migration of drug users/counterculture types who never actually grew out of it and moved on with life. It's sort of all part of the scenery now, the garbage way of life.
 kj521
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/13/2015 9:04:15 AM
Well there you go Ms. LucidTheory......

VK......just answered your query. They are all in San Francisco.

That's the place for you to be! :)
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/13/2015 10:59:48 AM

My dad lives in winnipeg, manitoba.
 Destinnie
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2015 3:44:15 PM
Read their profile and see if 420 is written in their interests.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 4:02:02 AM
Wow - from a potentially interested thread this one sure got off topic. Up here in Canada lots of old stoners around - and I thinking of responsible users not abusers. And lots don't mention it, and 420 is almost unknown. And there are many who choose to say they are not users for a whole range or reasons. I was over at a woman's the other day for Thanksgiving dinner and the subject came up - she was shocked - we had never discussed it. Big in the Anglican Church - so just figured it was not her thing! I think as legalization spreads - could be within in a year right across the country in Canada - it will become more socially acceptable to say you imbibe!
 Bayj
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 4:43:08 AM
right here
smoking since youth
medically approved now
thank god,,,,improves my quality of life immensely
refuse to be stigmatized anymore
only drawback,,,,,,,,,cottonmouth
 Bayj
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 4:47:20 AM
haven't read all posts but references to S.F. seems to associate its use with homosexuality(????)
is disingenuous at best and inflammatory at worst
 Bayj
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 5:14:11 AM
politically incorrect to deride those of that lifestyle but still open season on cannabis users
,,,,,,,,,,well I'm sick of it
 Maleman999
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/14/2015 6:53:42 AM
I wonder how many stoners or ex-stoners are totally against cigarette smoking, but see nothing wrong with pot smoking.
 Bayj
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 6:54:07 AM
,,,after having read some of these comments ,seems to be a cadre of thought that immediately associates cannabis use with only that which the media has programmed them ,i.e. homelessness and homosexuality being two examples
a clear sign of an inability to think critically for themselves especially about subjects of which they know nothing
 Bayj
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 7:06:56 AM
comparisons between the smoking of tobacco,use of nicotine has continually been proven clinically to be adversarial to health but the scant studies of cannabis do not echo these effects automatically translate to cannabinols smoked in a similar fashion.
yardsticks used to compare cannabis with more mainstream drug use, alcohol, tobacco,caffeine fallshort because
it's comparing apples to oranges,,,,totally different that the uninitiated have no frame of reference from which to work so automatically jump to something familiar
 bAc0nflav0redbac0n
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/14/2015 8:09:11 AM
They're in POF forums, making an ass out of their POF pals.

one old desperado in particular is hell-bent on a defending somebody that plays them for a fool. They'll invent socks to praise them and attack and report people for speaking out against that person. It's pretty pathetic.

Jeeze, some peeps just don't have any boundaries...and shame.
 Bayj
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 8:25:06 AM
not following the gist of your comment,,,,huh?
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/14/2015 8:44:27 AM
Bayj, the discussion ended up being about transients in LA and SF, and had nothing to do with homosexuals at all. Can you pull a quote? Would be interesting to read.
 Bayj
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 9:02:14 AM
sorry, made an ass,,,umption
and have read more completely
quite often references made about S.F. are insinuated in that direction but in the instance here I error
The correlation though with cannabis use and homelessness as cause and effect are questionable
 call_me_tater
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/14/2015 9:04:45 AM
Wow, I'm really surprised for the widespread disdain for pot smokers here.

The ones I know are not homeless or even jobless.
All contributing members of society.
Most with grad and advanced degrees.
Lots in medical field since that's the crowd I run with, but toking friends are lawyers, engineers, business owners, even teachers...regular people you wouldn't guess it of.

It's going to be legal soon here in NY.
Right now it's decriminalized, cops can't search your car if they smell unburnt mary jane, medical marijuana is legal.
I believe the only thing holding legalization back is the fact that it's a plant anybody can grow and the gov't wants a way to tax the hell out of it like booze and tobacco.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/14/2015 9:23:44 AM

I believe the only thing holding legalization back is the fact that it's a plant anybody can grow and the gov't wants a way to tax the hell out of it like booze and tobacco.

I have thought this ^ ^ ^ ^ also for a loooonnnggg time!

All contributing members of society.....................Lots in medical field ...........

LOL Sooooo true!
 Ouija2025
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/14/2015 9:58:40 AM
We have great bud here - most people have at least a hoot now and again. Weed not a gateway to much else - well snacks perhaps.
I didn't know people still said stoners.
The scary lost souls are those here using meth :(
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/14/2015 10:06:30 AM
Marijuana is legal in Washington State. With no income tax, WA State has a regressive (hard on the poor) excise tax system to generate income. Food is not taxed.

Curious, I dropped by a new marijuana store in Wenatchee last spring. The high prices were shocking. The owner complained bitterly about the 45% tax rate. "With the high tax rate, we cannot compete with underground pot sellers," he said. According to the WA State Liquor and Cannabis Board website:

"Recreational marijuana sales to the public began July, 8 2014. During the first fiscal year the marijuana industry generated over $64 million dollars in tax revenue. That number will likely increase as the market continues to grow and refine.

"Effective July 1, 2015, tax reforms change the existing marijuana excise tax structure. A 37 percent marijuana excise tax must now be collected exclusively at the retail level. In addition, B&O taxes on the production and local retail sales taxes apply."

"You cannot set up a store within 1000 feet of any elementary or secondary school, playground, recreation center or facility, child care center, public park, public transit center, library, or game arcade that allows minors to enter. Local authorities will also be notified and have an opportunity to object."
 satx78218
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 11:41:01 AM
"A 37 percent marijuana excise tax must now be collected exclusively at the retail level. In addition, B&O taxes on the production and local retail sales taxes apply."

tobacco kills a few 100K Americans every year, and injures 100Ks others, but the BigTobacco owns enough politicians to keep the tax on tobacco low compared to harmless mj.
 Chromis1
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 12:11:47 PM

keep the tax on tobacco low compared to harmless mj.

It's still too early to know if marijuana increases the risk of developing lung cancer.
 prairiefire60
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/14/2015 12:35:28 PM
I think the benefit of maryjane far out weighs the risk of lung cancer just in pain relief treatment alone. There are many medical reasons to use marijuana. Hell, some of the stuff coming from big pharma has worse side effects and can kill you. It's an option. It should be legal everywhere.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/14/2015 12:41:13 PM
I'm guessing it must since inhaling smoke must do something to the lungs.
I'm sure in time, vaping will also be found to increase the risk.

Low tax on cigarettes? Depends on where you live.
Mine are $11 a pack in NY. They're $7 in NH and $5 south of the Mason Dixon.
Of course they are those natural, additive free fancy ones.
Gotta cut the risk somewhere ;).

MJ stands to bring NY lots of revenue.
We tax everything here and that would prob be taxed at a minimum of 50%.
Probably will say the profits will go to schools like they claim the lottery money goes....
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Where are all the Aging Stoners?