Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Where are all the Aging Stoners?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bayj
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Where are all the Aging Stoners? Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Touché,,,,,,, and bingo,,,,,,,,,
right on both counts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
but in these test bed states (that's what they are) the smell of the money is beginning to out weigh all the other trumped up arguments against legalization and yes THEY want to get a firm hold on that money aspect it happens
 Walts
Msg: 102
Where are all the Aging Stoners?
Posted: 10/14/2015 6:26:30 PM

It's still too early to know if marijuana increases the risk of developing lung cancer.

Just for information sake, you actually don't have to smoke the stuff to benefit from the herb. Of course, that doesn't help those that like to argue about the "evils" of the plant. I've heard em all, and more. It started in the late 60's with me and the shiat that we have been fed still comes out as ca ca.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 103
Posted: 10/14/2015 7:41:45 PM
Walts- I've been in favor of legalization of marijuana for a long time.
Prison's are far too over crowded and I would MUCH rather keep a violent offender in jail than someone there for drug charges.
It's medicinal uses are many.
Particularly for people suffering from a lack of appetite due to cancer or some other debilitating disease.
A lot of unnecessary suffering goes on.
It's a little looney tunes to me to with hold ANYTHING from someone who is dying/suffering, that helps them.
MANY medical professionals are in favor of it.
I would have NO problem giving it to someone if I knew that would mean that's the first time that day that they kept down their meal.
 Seki1949
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2015 8:50:11 PM
Did LH get nuked again?
 scorpioinOregon
Msg: 105
Posted: 10/15/2015 1:10:13 AM
Let me tell you where they are. They have all moved to Oregon.

Oregon just legalized it for recreational use and the people they show on the news on TV aren't young people. They are over 40 but look to be over 50. There are dispensaries everywhere in the bigger cities. This has been a medical state for years.

The 25% tax the state is going to put on the recreational sales will go to police and schools. Let me tell you, Oregon needs the money. There is no sales tax here. The state is broke.
 Bayj
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2015 9:47:03 AM
Anyway as it pertains to pof I don't mention it in my profile and the profiles I have msged that has it mentioned in them didn't get me in the door based on that common interest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but then nothing seems to get me in the door with any of the women on here,,,,,,,,,,,been her a long time and have only had one date off from here ,
heck ,,,,don't even get any responses,,,,,,,,,maybe I ought to put that in my profile and see what happens,,,,,
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 107
Posted: 10/16/2015 10:32:33 AM
^^ lighten up on the commas-you realize that a comma is a signal to stop! So maybe eliminate them from your profile cause you are sending a negative mental message.

Im basically just joking with you but there is a profile review forum that might be able to help you ...I think clearer pictures might be an asset.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2015 8:57:17 AM
I would imagine they are spread all over the country and the whole gamut of societal strata. I was a bit young to head to Haight & Ashbury and hope to catch a seat on Ken Kesey's bus "Further". I loved the humor of Cheech & Chong and reading about the adventures of Fat Freddies cat and the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 109
The Dude Abides
Posted: 10/18/2015 11:37:38 AM
She's not my special lady, she's my fvcking lady friend.

I'm just helping her conceive, man!
 call_me_tater
Msg: 110
Posted: 10/18/2015 11:52:27 AM
Yes, Bayj, go to profile reviews and get some help.

That disclaimer: When you join a site, you give it certain permissions that you cannot override by this hoax statement.
Only thing it show is that people are gullible and ignorant to hoaxes without investigating whether it's even true or enforceable.
It's neither.

FYI:

UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) 1-308-11 308-103 is is a set of laws relating to business and commercial transactions. Citing it on a website or any instrument will not give you the ability to invoke extraordinary legal rights.
What does this have to do with POF or any other social media

The Rome Statute (of the International Criminal Court) establishes genocide, war crimes, crimes of aggression, and crimes against humanity. It permits the ICC to prosecute these types of crime if the states involved are unwilling or unable to do so.
Is using a freely shared photo on a private website (with granted permissions) in the same league as war crimes?
 Bayj
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2015 6:58:39 AM
Thanks for the advice Sunny Gal,will take it to heart.seems like all this is little more than a flow of consciousness expressionand mine takes a break on occasion,,,,,,,,(that's me thinking) probably from all that DOPE I SMOKE,HHHHAAAAA
 LexiInMDR
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2015 10:11:20 AM
All the stoners I remember from my high school days must have decided 20 or so years out that the lifestyle wasn't worth it... I see a few of them around now and then. Some of them just stand there and forget what they were talking about as they laugh to themselves... those are the ones who really fried their brains... but the others have that bitter look on their face, sort of like life gypped them. Kind of sad either way.
 StarClassic
Msg: 113
Posted: 10/21/2015 12:04:47 PM

Some of them just stand there and forget what they were talking about as they laugh to themselves...

You forgot the "faraway vacant stare" look. Not the one combat vets get. The "my hubcaps fell off, lost in the fog" stare.
I've worked with a few like that. What's funny as 'ell is you walk over to tell them something and start talkingreallyfast, and part way through, s l o w w w a y y d o w w w n.
 sisterevil
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2015 10:39:09 PM
Just going out now for a quick smoke....hardly a wake n baker tho, maybe 1-2 times a week!
 Branes
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2015 6:14:11 PM

I find it hard that your 59 old friend spent 15 years in a hippie commune. He would have been born in 1956, and been 9 years old in 1965, add 15 and its 1980 well into the hard rock era.

Actually, there were still communes in rural communities in the late 70's and probably early 80s. I know of a Christian commune in rural Pennsylvania in 1978 because I have been there. And I heard that years later it was still there. What you are talking about was the media hyped hippie phenomenon. Being a hippie fell out of favor after Altamont and the Manson killings. The Haight/Ashbury area of San Francisco became a gang and addict infested slum. As most of the free services shut down, the "hippie" street people moved on. And a lot ended up getting back into mainstream society. But that doesn't mean they all just vanished. Hippie culture morphed and become the environmental movement, veganism, vegetarianism and other social and political sub-groups. But some of the communes that began in the 60's went on to become organic farms with some communal aspects. The famous Hog farm of Woodstock fame is still in existence. Wavy Gravy, one of the farms founders ( I met him in Berkeley in 1974, when I was an antiwar activist after I got out of the Marines) wrote a book called " Good for a Change: Random Notes on Peace Thru Living" about communal living. This was in 1992. He was the goofy guy in the Woodstock movie who made all the announcements.
The hippie movement is still alive and well At least in its philosophies. It just grew up, as did we all.
It could be argued that Greenpeace began as a hippie movement, although its more radical aspects have their roots in the radical political movements of the 60's like the Weathermen and SLA.
I no longer smoke marijuana because where I live it's still illegal. But if I were allowed to, smoke and to grow my own,.I"d have a hydoponic garden tomorrow. It is still the best relaxant I've ever used. It is far more safe and enjoyable than alcohol, despite all the negative propaganda we've been hearing for over 50 years.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/4/2015 6:39:31 PM
Going to the Judas Priest concert this weekend...so it is likely aging stoners will be seen there.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 117
Posted: 11/4/2015 6:51:26 PM
^^^^
Hold your breath dude when that cloud comes wafting over your head, lmao!
 hearton64
Msg: 118
Posted: 11/5/2015 7:18:59 AM
Well this thread sure took a turn.

Aging stoner here.

Not homeless or brain dead.

Still love Led Zeppelin and 90's grunge bands!

Love creating art in most mediums.

Gardening is my passion.

Nature is my religion and earth is my church.

I dislike alcohol but enjoy relaxing my mind and body
at the end of a long day so weed suits me.

No shame in my game.

Never bothered to wait until my state made it legal.

Left LA for good reason 3 decades ago!

To each their own.

Laughing at the generalizations, condemnation
and stereotyping that comes with smoking pot.

Whatever.

Oregon looks pretty!

And very GREEN!

Breakin' the law,breakin',the law,breakin 'the law!
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 119
Posted: 11/6/2015 1:00:00 PM
I prefer a good bottle of wine.

Yet do not mind some good stuff.

However, while people have this image of stoners as a bunch of useless, no goal driven losers, you should go to some of the parties where I have encounter stoners, and several of them were News Network producers, a couple of business owners, one owns a trucking company, the other owns several antique companies from Miami to Atlanta, a couple of them own advertising agencies, a photographer, a writer, a creative director and attorney. Talk about a bunch of losers, right.

Instead of Stoners what society needs to worry is about the new statistics about mortality rate that have gone through the roof for White Middle Aged men. They are dropping like flies to Alcoholism, Drug Overdose, Diabetes related diseases, heart Disease, and get this one suicide.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/6/2015 1:04:00 PM
I dunno.

We can live like there's no tomorrow or be healthy and live longer.

Gotta find a compromise somewhere...
 Maleman999
Msg: 121
Posted: 11/6/2015 3:10:29 PM
The aging stoners are in nursing homes, getting high on delusions caused by dementia.
 VMinRVA95
Msg: 122
Posted: 11/6/2015 8:24:30 PM
A lot of stoners from our youth have just walked away from the dope all together. Others have replaced it with legal dope addiction or alcoholism. I recalled the "wonderment" I got from pot yearly on, some time later it just became a foggy dullness, after that it was mostly one light puff for the taste (superior to tobacco in my opinion) and then thanks but no-thanks. I think that smoking pot can be addictive - for some - and when those people come off of it they are very irritable if not down right violent. But brain chemistry is such a mystery and certainly varies between people.

I see a new stoner cult today and tragic to see the amount of intoxicated and addicted people on SSRIs and Benzodiazepines - legal MDMA and a heroin respectively. Prescribed by doctors on reference passed along by social worker trained "therapists". What an Orwellian scam. These drugs One wonders how many marriages and families have been wrecked by drugged out spouses. It is well documented that not only do these provide sexual dysfunction but also an emotional dis-attachment and impulsive behaviours. Now a new study I read last week confirms that anti-depressants are prescribed by doctors knowing that there patients have not be adequately tested for depression at a rate of 2 out of 3 cases.

The eX had a brother in law tagged on a DUI (falling down drunk and a medical doctor at that). He got out of a two month stint at some big money treatment center so stoned on something that he could not operate a vehicle. He was now brain-washed with the AA false-religion. Oh, but he was sober!

An interesting read on addictions is the Prentiss father and son book on Alcoholism and Drug Addiction Cure. They discuss the entire neurological network as the "brain" and how it re-wires itself to adapt to the new chemicals and that this new adaptation becomes the basis of the addiction (not some personal weakness and Godless-ness that AA espouses). For folks dealing with chemical addiction - please know there are more intelligent and effective treatments that do not rely on pseudo-religious cults.
 VMinRVA95
Msg: 123
Posted: 11/6/2015 10:24:18 PM
"Instead of Stoners what society needs to worry is about the new statistics about mortality rate that have gone through the roof for White Middle Aged men. They are dropping like flies to Alcoholism, Drug Overdose, Diabetes related diseases, heart Disease, and get this one suicide."

Right on Gorrilla! I discussed the Male Suicide Epidemic in a couple of other threads and it is about time it is discussed some more. This is and has been a big deal and getting worse. And lets roll in Chemical abuse and eating disorders (which causes Diabetes and Hypertension) as a slow Suicide variant. All the articles mention mental health, but they do not or too cowardly get to the root issues: economic distress, cultural decline, and loneliness.

These articles that have hit the pathetic mainstream news media all roll the cause into some amorphous "mental health" canard. Ok, being perpetually alone and possibly penniless would cause mental health issues - agreed. But mental health picture is just a naturally occuring result and a stage to viewing a life no longer worth living. Drink yourself to death, eat yourself to death, go violent on a cop, ex, or go traditional and go violent on yourself. So many men reach an age where if they are alone the statistics are that they will be alone for the rest of their lives and God has seen fit to make it a short one. Yes, there are accompanying studies that also conclude that a majority of men living alone at age 50 will be alone for the rest of their lives and that their lives are upwards of 10 years shorter than marriage/hooked up men.

Real causes: Pick one, a few, or all even.
We have a surplus of males compared to females for populations under 65 years old - world wide. Overall an estimated 80 million Surplus Men - world wide.
Hypergamy rules in effect so that only a certain archetype of a man will get "action" or get love even. So more males are thrown into the Surplus-hood.
We now have so many men compared to too few living wage jobs.
We have a short "life expectancy" of most employment- average job last approximately two years.
We have so many men devastated by the divorce industry/drugged out spouses/their children being raised by someone else/insane child support judgements.
We have culture in our society of hating competent men and then assigned them guilt for other people/peoples incompetencies.
We have so much decay culturally that it is depressing and possibly dangerous to go into most parts of town, or what used to be good neighborhoods.
He so much wants to have, raise, love his children but very likely has none, and cannot have one (single men cannot not legally adopt)

So a Surplus Male gets to a certain age (mid 40s it seems). All the good works and righteous living got him a dead-end life. Everywhere he goes it is more single guys or married couples or old ladies. He experiences the gender disparity in the dating market and date shaming. Everything good he has built, or his Father and his Father's Fathers built before him is in decay or in expropriation. A class of Traitors in his own society have shipped good jobs to Authoritarian countries. His country goes into debt for perpetual wars and the overthrow of stable societies elsewhere. He most likely has no children but if so they are with someone else. He is not respected for the good work he has done.

But the Surplus Man does have options though, just none of them good.
 Walts
Msg: 124
Posted: 11/7/2015 4:08:33 AM

All the good works and righteous living got him a dead-end life.

All relative to what you believe isn't a "dead-end life", correct? Being single, divorced, separated or married does NOT define EVERY person's (man or woman's) life. Unless, the individual themselves does the defining. So, if you decide your life is a "dead-end" one, it's the individual that does it, not any one else. Though, I will give you that it is much easier to point at others for the reasons why you are what you are.

But the Surplus Man does have options though, just none of them good.

Again, some will define them a "not good" and other's won't. And again, it's up to the individual to see the light instead of the darkness. In my lifetime, I really don't know many that don't have a sob story to tell. The difference being is that a lot of people understand that we all go thru shiat, and when some of have to face it, we deal with it and carry on. Others have to make sure everybody and their uncle knows about all our "problems", as if no one else is dealing with the same type of crap.

Some people really should learn to take some from of accountability of how they "deal" with the "stuff" that comes towards them. And if you can't, maybe head to a professional and talk about why you can't instead of the old finger pointing routine. It's boring.
 VMinRVA95
Msg: 125
Posted: 11/7/2015 9:52:11 AM
"Being single, divorced, separated or married does NOT define EVERY person's (man or woman's) life. Unless, the individual themselves does the defining."

Who else is doing the defining? We are talking about Suicide not homicide. Yes, most of the adults who snuff themselves are doing the defining themselves. Maybe weak minded little girls might snuff themselves because of a facebook attack. But that is another topic.

"everybody and their uncle knows about all our "problems", as if no one else is dealing with the same type of crap"

So you have a child support judgement for - lets say having 3 children - that results in 70% of your take home pay extracted from you? That makes you automatically homeless and a bench warrant for your arrest for not being able to cough up the loot to support your kids, your eX, her new partner, their cruise ship vacations, their new house and car, ... Well? Are you?

Don't laugh I just described in the scenario above is very common. As are others. Your self-righteous demeanor is indicative of either an easy life or one where you just don't get out much. I know up in easy liv'in Canada you have draconian Man-killing, family destroying, divorce industry like we have through out the dying-out Western world. But blame these victims some more if you please. Just as long as you have had it easy then you must assume everyone else has it easy (with a few ups and downs naturally). No, some people have it really hard and their is little likely-hood of any "light", and you can not even come close to empathising with them. I can and I do.

Finally, of the 40,000 + men a year committing hard suicide (USA), and 100,000s killing themselves more slowly, maybe suicide is the personally responsible "accountability" action to take? I think it is cowardice that this epidemic was swept under the carpet for so long AND I like a number of men and even a few women are working to change the SYSTEM that provokes so much of this! But you can continue to point YOUR finger and spout "coffee mug" expressions.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Where are all the Aging Stoners?