Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Opinions on Car Doors      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Opinions on Car DoorsPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I just think it is a courtesy and I appreciate it. I would do the same for anyone else regardless of gender and especially if they are carrying parcels etc. I think the whole thing about men stepping back in elevators to allow women out first is tedious and not necessary.

Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 27
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/11/2015 9:08:04 PM
In Minnesota, in winter, waiting for car doors to be opened is freaking ridiculous. It's a matter of survival to jump out of a stopped vehicle and into the closest warm building as fast as possible. Nobody waits, and hardly anyone even looks back to see if we are following. The only thing insulting about car doors is NOT hitting the unlock on the remote fast enough for them to dash up, whip the door open and jump in.

I hold doors at building entry points for anyone and everyone. Male or female - Stores, church, the gym, whatever. I think its pathetic when people react to it like it's something special. It shouldn't be.
 gcdeb
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/12/2015 3:21:54 AM

I've never once felt the need to not have a door opened for me because of some raging need to promote women's rights. In fact I've never known any women who felt that way,
Me neither.

what in the world door opening has to do with women's rights I do not know.
Me either. But for me I'm completely competent at opening my own door and would hate to think a man felt obligated to get out of the car and walk around and open my door for me everytime we went somewhere. That would feel completely weird to me.

This thread is a little confused because opening the door to let someone INTO a car is much more common than opening the door to let someone OUT of the car. I open the car door for pretty much anyone who gets into my car. That seems the polite thing to do for a 'guest' in my car. Prior to remote door keys, I think most guys I dated always opened the door for me before getting into the car themselves. I reciprocated the courtesy by leaning over and unlocking their door for them.

If we are out for a night at the opera, I'll happily play the lady and wait for him to open my car door. If we are going to the supermarket, taking the dog to the vet.... I'm not sitting in the car waiting for him to let me out. It's nothing to do women's rights. It's just that, well, I know how to open a door and manage to do so, by myself, competently, every single day.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 29
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/12/2015 11:25:14 AM
Sweet Danimal- Winter? Is that when it gets cold and snows? We have two seasons here in the deep south, January and summer. :D
Anyway, about the door thing:
Again, maybe this is a southern thing, but a LOT of door opening goes on here.
I hold the door open for ANYONE coming behind me, man or woman, it's just simple courtesy.
It's nice when I am dating a man who opens doors for me, but I don't consider it a deal breaker if they don't.
I just don't get upset by that sort of thing, I save my temper for when it REALLY matters. ;)
Opening a door?! MEH, just not that big a deal, to me.
 Brisco414
Msg: 30
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/12/2015 12:41:31 PM
I always a appreciate a gentleman opening the car door for me. Not necessary but it is is appreciated. When they do, I reach over and open the driver's side for them.
 carolann0308
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/12/2015 12:52:01 PM
It's a very kind thing to do, but I don't expect it.

The one rule of etiquette that I have always followed was removing your hat indoors. My Grandmother used to say "You'd better be a Cowboy and at a Rodeo if you expect to keep your hat on around me"
 BBEisBack
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/12/2015 1:55:10 PM
It is all situational... If I'm pushing the cart full of Groceries, then I would have expected my Wife to unlock & open the car.
With all my years Loading & Driving Big Rigs, I have an 'Eye' for packing a given amount of items into a given area... So, most times, I'm the one to load the stuff up.......

I was playing Bass in a Band. The keyboard Player had split with his GF, & lost the MiniVan, too.... He bought a POS Old Geo Metro. After a Gig I was helping him carry out His Gear & load it up. He was so impressed with how I packed all his Gear in that Little Car. When he got home, he drew a Diagram, of how I loaded everything, so he could repeat it....

For entrance Doors to places, I tend to hold it open for anyone close behind me. Hopefully one of them will take over for me. Once people are far enough away, that the door won't slam in their face. Then I let go & go on in..... this is not age or gender dependent....

ETA: I've left a Home Depot or Costco & see someone struggling to place an item in the vehicle... If I have the time, I'll offer to help... I like to think I'm building Good Karma & someone will help Me, when I'm in need....
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 33
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:06:56 PM
Sweet_Danimal wrote:
In Minnesota, in winter, waiting for car doors to be opened is freaking ridiculous. It's a matter of survival to jump out of a stopped vehicle and into the closest warm building as fast as possible. Nobody waits, and hardly anyone even looks back to see if we are following. The only thing insulting about car doors is NOT hitting the unlock on the remote fast enough for them to dash up, whip the door open and jump in.

Thanks for the laugh! And SO TRUE! (Yes , I live in MN, too<) Almost makes up for the fact that the season is almost upon us< Brrrrrrr ;-)
 purplerider1200
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/12/2015 5:16:40 PM
I do. My father taught me well.
 sealady111
Msg: 35
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/12/2015 6:51:47 PM
Purple,
how do you open the door on a motorcycle?
 Meagan06825
Msg: 36
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/12/2015 7:19:41 PM
I think it is a kind gesture but not necessary in today's world.

So many trivial things can be looked at to test a person as to rule them out as a potential partner.
 ozarkguy
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/13/2015 8:09:06 AM
I've had dates (that apparently weren't used to this) ask me "Do you always open doors?"

My standard reply is always "Just for the cute ones".

Kinda sets the tone for the rest of the evening ........
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 38
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/13/2015 8:29:36 AM

Again, maybe this is a southern thing, but a LOT of door opening goes on here.
I hold the door open for ANYONE coming behind me, man or woman, it's just simple courtesy.

Yeap, this is so true. And it's any door and for all types of folks.

Another thing is elevators. Letting ladies in first. And it's interesting to note that many Northerners then comment that people talk to you in elevators in the South, while they never did that up north.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/13/2015 9:00:31 AM
i've been known to open my date's door.

then boot her out.

while doing the speed limit.
 Maleman999
Msg: 40
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/13/2015 9:07:09 AM
^^^At least you weren't breaking the law by not going over the speed limit. That's good.
 south_city
Msg: 41
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/13/2015 9:07:48 AM
I would if she was wearing nice clothes for a formal event. Not all the time though.
 d2d42
Msg: 42
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/13/2015 9:28:50 PM
This is something I have always done. Not just with the S/O but also my two daughters. Been doing it my whole life. Actually, annoys me when they grab the door before I get there. LOL. It would be something I tell any potential date that door opening is my job. Their hands don't touch doors. They wait in the dry while I get the car if it is raining.
It allows me to show respect and deference to them and that they are important.
 d2d42
Msg: 43
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/13/2015 9:33:07 PM
"Again, maybe this is a southern thing, but a LOT of door opening goes on here.
I hold the door open for ANYONE coming behind me, man or woman, it's just simple courtesy."

Absolutely! Coming out of the building as well. Been called the door monitor quite a few times. No particular reason other than I was there in most cases.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/14/2015 12:23:11 AM

^^^At least you weren't breaking the law by not going over the speed limit.

well, of course. that would be WRONG.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/14/2015 2:41:22 PM

This is something I have always done. Not just with the S/O but also my two daughters. Been doing it my whole life. Actually, annoys me when they grab the door before I get there. LOL. It would be something I tell any potential date that door opening is my job. Their hands don't touch doors. They wait in the dry while I get the car if it is raining.
It allows me to show respect and deference to them and that they are important.

I swear, if My Adult Daughter's BF said this, I would have some Serious Concerns for Her. This goes Way Beyond someone wanting to be a Gentleman. To Me, it reads as someone who has Real Issues, Issues relating to Control & controlling the actions of others.

The difference between this & Telling Women they should wear a Burka, is only in the Degree of Control.
 bAc0nflav0redbac0n
Msg: 46
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/14/2015 3:17:20 PM
I think it's gracious, and if that's something a dude wants to give me -- that level of chivalry-- I won't criticize him for it. It should be optional and not mandatory. If it makes him feel happy, then I'm all for it. I don't expect it, though.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 47
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/14/2015 7:49:07 PM

Opinions on Car Doors

My opinion is that car doors are very useful for entering and exiting a vehicle.

I have no problem opening car doors, or any door for that matter, for anyone.
I also have no problem with other people, including ladies, opening their own doors if they so choose.
 d2d42
Msg: 48
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/14/2015 8:27:58 PM
TO BBEisBack
LOL I can see how that might look to a stranger who does not know me. But, since they all like the fact that I do that for them and the annoyance is more playful than actual, it is not an issue. In all seriousness, if a potential date or S/O had an issue with it, I would be fine letting them open the doors for themselves. I can see how that would sound odd to you. I express myself better in person than in writ sometimes. Sometimes, it just sounds better in my head than it ends up as I write. :). As for controlling others? Who wants that mess? I know there are people who are control freaks, meet plenty of them in my day to day. No thanks. Thanks however, for pointing out what may be taken different than what I intended. I'll have to try and analyze that better in the future.
 Maleman999
Msg: 49
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/15/2015 5:15:41 AM
If a woman expects a guy to open and close a car door for her, is it also his job to buckle up her seat belt?
If a woman wants the window rolled down or up, should a guy reach over and do that for her?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 50
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/15/2015 10:09:03 AM

If a woman expects a guy to open and close a car door for her, is it also his job to buckle up her seat belt?
If a woman wants the window rolled down or up, should a guy reach over and do that for her?

I wonder.....

If a guy locks HER door with the power lock button on his side, on a first date, will her creepmeter start buzzing when she hears the "click"?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Opinions on Car Doors