Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Opinions on Car Doors      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 51
Opinions on Car DoorsPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

If a woman expects a guy to open and close a car door for her, is it also his job to buckle up her seat belt?

YES IT IS!

When I met my BF, I did not have an "expectation", nor did I demand, that he open doors for me. Nor did I have the "expectation", he would help me with my coat, or chair, or carry my baggage, or groceries/shopping bags. No expectations/no demands.
I discovered thru conversation and when meeting in person that he IS what one would think of as an old fashioned "Gentleman".
HE chooses to opens doors, HE chooses to help me with my coat, etc.
HE has told me, his mother/grandmother taught him to be courteous to others. To be a gentleman.
And no, he is not weak or pathetic. You would be hard pressed to even think a man with 27 yrs of military service is weak or pathetic.
All this talk of what a woman "expects" or what she demands, leaves me in a state of WTF?

Some people, men and women live a life of choices. THEY choose to be kind, considerate, polite, and YES, they choose to open doors!
BF not only opens doors, he helps my 80 yr old aunt get into the car AND he helps her get her seat belt buckled/snapped in!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 52
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/15/2015 1:30:59 PM
I remember the door test...I still try to do it...and
I'm usually surprised when I can't find the lock thingie.
It's not like in the old days. But, I will unlock the door given
the opportunity.

My roommate always opens the door for me when we go
out in his car. He still uses his key, so he unlocks mine
first and opens the door. Me...I just go beep beep and he
opens his own door when we use my car.

I always open and hold regular doors for people...that's
just common courtesy. I've heard on other threads (maybe
this one as well, but I didn't read it all) about women
complaining about men opening any door for them. I don't
know any women like that. They are as mythical to me as the
women that date men just for free eats.

Common courtesy is not gender specific.
 sealady111
Msg: 53
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/15/2015 3:14:15 PM

I wonder.....

If a guy locks HER door with the power lock button on his side, on a first date, will her creepmeter start buzzing when she hears the "click"?

YES^^^^ But what is she doing in his car on the first date?
Nope, not me.
Meet him at a neutral place.

With internet / blind dating, the romance of being picked up has gone.
 mikey7477
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/15/2015 3:25:29 PM
if shes got arms,,she opens the door her self,he he
 BBEisBack
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:10:50 PM

I wonder.....
If a guy locks HER door with the power lock button on his side, on a first date, will her creepmeter start buzzing when she hears the "click"?

YES^^^^ But what is she doing in his car on the first date?
Nope, not me.
Meet him at a neutral place.

With internet / blind dating, the romance of being picked up has gone.

Lots of late Model Cars, automatically lock the Doors, when you reach 15 mph or so...
My last 1st meet, after talking for a few hours, we decided to go to a Burger Place a mile down the road.
We went there in My pickup & the Doors locked themselves as I drove there..

Even if they didn't, I would have locked them, myself, that gives you a bit of time, if someone try's to carjack you...
It's a common safety tip, to give you a chance to drive out of a bad situation......
 Maleman999
Msg: 56
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:55:14 PM
"Even if they didn't, I would have locked them, myself, that gives you a bit of time, if someone try's to carjack you...
It's a common safety tip, to give you a chance to drive out of a bad situation......"

It's a catch 22 situation. Sure-locking the doors prevents carjackings. But the down side is if you're in an accident where you can't get out of your vehicle yourself, and a bystander is near by who could try to get you out if the door is unlocked-as long as the vehicle isn't too badly mangled, where firemen have to cut it open it like a can of tuna.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/15/2015 6:19:57 PM
good point sealady111

There are those women who still risk getting into cars with strangers for a first meet or a date and feel that as they have been so nice online etc and have chatted and exchanged information that they are lulled into a false sense of security. I admit I did it once with no repercussions but afterwards thought what a fool I had been. A guy I met once wanted me to walk him to his car and then get in. I refused and he couldn't understand why. He had shown no real interest in me during the meet and was just wanting a cheap make out session I can only assume.

There has been a woman on here that did it all the time until she was attacked. Hard lesson to learn.
 hemingway234
Msg: 58
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/15/2015 11:04:58 PM
Yes, the men should open doors, pull out chairs, order food. Women today prefer a gentleman.

And the ladies should unlock the car doors when they get in.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/16/2015 4:34:41 AM
If I have dressed up ( dress/skirt and heels), then i think it is the thing a man should do( not to look vulgar climbing in).
If we are in jeans and sneakers........not so much.

Also the type of car/suv etc is also a consideration. If its high, give me a lift. Im not decrepit by any means ,but it shows a man is considerate

Like most things, it depends.
It is a nice gesture regardless but not always warranted.

DEF unlock his door if its doesnt automatically unlock.
If his hands are full of picnic/beach//whatever gear, then open it for him.

Be considerate of all people.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/16/2015 7:32:02 AM
Is it necessary? No. Some women don't care or actively dislike such gestures - others enjoy them. So, what I do depends on who I'm with - and of course matters of practicality in any particular instance.

Most of the time I'll open the door for my wife when she is getting in the car - and usually get a kiss for my effort. We both enjoy this little ritual. I don't open the door when she exits, unless perhaps when it is a special event and she's dressed up.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 61
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/16/2015 7:48:49 AM

Do most of the men you have dated open the car door for you when you go out?

Yes, to go Inside his car.!

Is this something you find important?

It is not Important, but I find the person Uneducated if the person does not do it.

I do the same other poster said, when I go first on a store or wherever, I open the door, and keep it open until the person behind me gets it, or I let them go first with me keeping the door open.
 Maleman999
Msg: 62
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/16/2015 7:50:39 AM
(Msg 59): "Also the type of car/suv etc is also a consideration. If its high, give me a lift."

Say what? So a guy is to not only open the door for you, but pick you up and place you in the seat? Some guys with pickup trucks do jack them up and have super huge tires, where the runner is about two feet off the ground, where getting in one of those is like mountain climbing. But what a guy should do in that case is provide a step stool or small ladder, although I don't know how safe that would be if a woman is wearing high heels.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/16/2015 1:07:22 PM

Yes, the men should order food. Women today prefer a gentleman.

What ever Floats Your Boat..... I prefer to Date Women, not Children......

Though there was a time or 2 that My Wife ordered for Me, in Mexico..
Her Spanish was 87% better than mine.....

Say what? So a guy is to not only open the door for you, but pick you up and place you in the seat? Some guys with pickup trucks do jack them up and have super huge tires, where the runner is about two feet off the ground, where getting in one of those is like mountain climbing. But what a guy should do in that case is provide a step stool or small ladder, although I don't know how safe that would be if a woman is wearing high heels.

I had a Jacked Up 4x4 pickup, when I met My late Wife... And yes, I carried a Rubbermaid 2 step plastic Step Stool...
Though, once We were an Item & I had a Bench Seat in the Truck.... She would get in the Driver's Side & slide over into the Center Spot.....

I would help a dressed up Lady, in & out of the Car... That SHOW is Mine alone, not for the Whole World to See....
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 64
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/16/2015 1:47:35 PM

Her Spanish was 87% better than mine.....

How can you be so sure it was 87, why not 84 since she probably had difficulty rolling her RRRssss.

Hehehehe. Just kidding.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 65
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/16/2015 2:44:08 PM

Women are such hypocrites.

Heah!

They tell you "Don't."

They tell you "Stop!"

And they go and go.

Don't. Stop. Don't!! Stop... Don't ... Stop! Don't Stop! Don't Stop.

See. I don't get it. And then they want you to pull their hair.

Crazy. Crazy. Crazy.
 cooldog65
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/18/2015 12:44:42 AM
I've always enjoyed opening car doors and opening her door when we exit the car. I like to extend my hand when I open the door for her to grab. It's just who I am.

If I get that in your face "I'm independent" or "I can do it myself", I'm out.
 Maleman999
Msg: 67
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/18/2015 6:44:46 AM
Are guys also required to have a pine scent air freshner that's shaped like a pine tree hanging from their rear view mirror? Is it a deal breaker if they don't?
 StarClassic
Msg: 68
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/18/2015 4:11:17 PM
^^^ Ohhh, Ugghhh. Them damn things are naaaasty. The stench is overpowering.
As a joke a friend put one in my truck that looked like a nudie girl. 'Spose to smell like a stripper I guess.
Hot August day with the truck closed up, when I got in my eyes started burning and my nose running.
Had to leave it open for several days to air out. Worst part is, the neighbors cat got in and peed on the carpet.

Can't stand those vent clip things either.
What I found works is a deodorant stick. Poke two-three holes in the cap a stash it behind the seat where it will stay upright.

Back OT:
Yeah, I open doors. My folks didn't raise an uncouth clod. Also remove my hat when I enter someone's home or sit down to the table to eat.
 grover14
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/19/2015 6:42:18 AM
Yep, the gentleman thing is built in to me. I guess if she asked me to stop opening do is, etc, I would.
 sealady111
Msg: 70
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/19/2015 8:57:29 PM
Apparently at Finishing and/or Deportment School they teach how to get in and out of a sports car in a miniskirt and heels.
I never went to such a school so I do not know how it is done.
Certainly not with any elegance.

Whilst I do not expect nor demand a man open a door for me.
If he continuously walked through anything and did not consider me so I was aleays carrying things, having to put my stuff on the ground to be able to go through a door, got slapped in the face with the door, tree branches or whatever after he has walked through before me I would rethink whether I wanted to spend time in his company.
( I have been bush walking with people like that. No fun.)

The same with horses.
Why do trail ride horses walk under branches that they can fit but they know will hit the rider?
 Maleman999
Msg: 71
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/21/2015 10:26:38 AM
^^^BUT: Do you still pay for dates, or do you tell women that since they're so independent and don't need men anymore, they can pay their own way on dates?
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 72
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/22/2015 7:08:33 PM

I would only ever open a door for her if there was something mechanically wrong with it that required me to intervene. Otherwise, she is a "strong, capable, independent woman" and can open her own damn door. I'm not her butler or chauffeur.

Open your own door. Carry your own bags. Sit yourself. Stuff like that.

Women were constantly barking about equality, so I gave it to them. In spades.

They pay their own way.

My SO pays her own way, as do I. but mostly when we go out we each cover our own tabs or expenses.

I've lived my life like that since I was roughly 20-ish. Never looked back. Never will.

I'm not anyone's ATM. I have no obligations to them. NONE. I give them the equality they so long sought after.

Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 73
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/22/2015 7:46:41 PM

Opinions on Car Doors

I find them very practical.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/22/2015 9:59:25 PM
While I agree that as women want equality they should pay their own way in life. No man is obligated to pay for a woman but will do it to gain favour and to have control. Some women will use men and manipulate them to get what they want financially and materially..... but it always takes two to play the game.

I appreciate it when a man who is an innate gentleman offers the courtly gesture as long as it is done with grace and willingly. Not mandatory but appreciated.

As a lot of car doors are automatically locked and unlocked nowadays it is not such an issue as to who opens doors and when.

Maleman999
Msg: 75
Opinions on Car Doors
Posted: 10/23/2015 9:29:07 AM
Here's another area of concern:
What is the proper etiquette when it comes to revolving doors? Ive been to places that have revolving doors, but I don't see anything in the How to Impress Women handbook about how to handle that situation. Are you to share the space between doors as it's revolving-even if it's someone you don't know, or should the guy go first since it takes more energy to start the door revolving if it's idle?

{I know-dumb question. But we can't let this thread die so soon.)
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Opinions on Car Doors