Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Profiles that Turn the Ladies on ???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kj521
Msg: 26
Profiles that Turn the Ladies on ???Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
"how could anyone discern intelligence from looking at a profile with a couple of pics?"

You can't. But you can get an idea or a perception, if you will, based on many factors involving the written word. :)
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 27
Profiles that Turn the Ladies on ???
Posted: 10/14/2015 11:18:20 AM

If you’ve never interacted with the person before, how could anyone discern intelligence from looking at a profile with a couple of pics?

Perhaps if their couple of pics show them holding up their Nobel Prize?
 bAc0nflav0redbac0n
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/14/2015 3:11:05 PM
Intelligence and its application are things that are demonstrated. It's something that can't be necessarily measured in three paragraphs and some photos.

Oh, yah, you get the baconheads that insist they're intelligent and insightful, but they can't have one run away thought to chase, even while sitting in their backyards.
 bAc0nflav0redbac0n
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/14/2015 3:12:06 PM
Bacon. Glorious bacon.
 south_city
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/14/2015 9:08:15 PM
Combination of the following. Good looking. Rich. Tall. LOL.
 Dare to
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/15/2015 1:33:04 AM
I've never read a profile that has turned me on... But for me to be interested the profile has to have something other than the usual cliches. I've met 2 men on POF that I've had significant relationships with. And both had something in the profile about believing in love and romance and wanting to find someone who they could fall in love and grow with. Also both had an element of humour (not trashy humour) (And yes we spell humour like that in Australia). And what happened to those guys??? Well I married one and we were very happy but he got cancer and passed away after we had been together for 8 years.. The other? We are still together after 6 months and going strong :-)

Note: If you are only after sex with ladies you have 'turned on' with your profile... Please let them know that you are just looking for sex and not a relationship so they can make a choice on whether that is what they want too..

Edit: The profiles have also been well written with good spelling and grammar... There's really no excuse except laziness for a badly written profile..
 2ufo
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/15/2015 5:58:15 AM
Ilove2laugh...

I noticed a couple of people mention intelligence. If you’ve never interacted with the person before, how could anyone discern intelligence from looking at a profile with a couple of pics?

An intelligent person recognizes that the profile is an introduction and so puts their proverbial 'best foot forward'. They know that the profile is an 'interaction' with others outside of themselves and they treat it as such. They take care to specify who they are and what they are looking for. They take time to make this a presentation rather than an abrupt list of criteria. They present some of themselves in order to select those people who would find them compatible. This is their first 'introduction' to the other person and they treat it (and by extension the other person) as special.

People reveal a lot more in their profiles than they realize.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/15/2015 10:40:47 AM
A blank face and profile that says "ask me" is not interesting even with good looks. I notice though that the men with an education and an intellectual job (the type I tend to write to) usually have a matching profile, it shows brains, humor, an effort to engage. Such people know how to present themselves, or they wouldn't have their job.
 sealady111
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/15/2015 3:27:35 PM
Judging intelligence from a profile can be a challenge.
However well written with sparkling eyes is a great start.

May I pick on CrookCatcher as an example.
In your brick wall photos you look spectacular.
Bright sparkling eyes and looking very approachable.
The blurrier photos not as much because they are blurrier.

Smiles with lips clamped closed is a turn off for anyone who has met people with rotting stumps for teeth.
(Sorry Bill)
That being said I am meeting a man today for coffee who has a closed mouth and no smile.
I hope he is happier in real life than he comes across.

Some people are much better than their advertising.
 crookcatcher
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:06:41 PM

The blurrier photos not as much because they are blurrier.

Don't understand why they do that, they're not when I select them...but I digress. That was a dress rehersal for my daughters wedding this Sat. I will have professional pics taken then and swap them out. I may be destitute by then but I'll have good pics. ;)
 kj521
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:25:02 PM
Since I have met you in person Mr. Crookcatcher.....

I can honestly say your pics do not do you justice. They cannot capture your lovely personality. :)
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/15/2015 4:30:09 PM

crookcatcher :
Don't understand why they do that, they're not when I select them

Ditch the cell phone. .... to get better quality images, and find someone to help you edit your photos. Most images taken in a dark environment using a cell, usually are blurry and out of focus.

You can find a nice, cheap, point and shoot camera for less than $100. The majority of my images are taken using a four year old Sony Cybershot DSC-W530. For night landscape photography I use a Nikon D-5100.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/15/2015 6:11:43 PM
I like my photos blurry, 'cause then people think they're drunk when they're looking at them. That's a good thing, right? :)
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/15/2015 6:12:23 PM

A guy that goes against the grain ~strong but down to earth and decent

A mix of outspoken but also able to not care how they are perceived

Able to pick up on things that others don't always see and able to hold their own as they are comfortable with themselves

You see it in their eyes~ they are kind but no push over

Charlie Chaplin had that type of strength yet seemed open minded and perceptive :)

Charlie Chaplin?

Seriously?

From The Daily Mail website:

"2,000 lovers of the comedy genius who didn't like women: New book reveals Charlie Chaplin's obsession with young girls - and how cruelly he treated them
Chaplin never trusted women, writes Peter Ackroyd in new book on actor
‘I am not exactly in love with her, but she is entirely in love with me,’ actor said of ideal woman
Distinguished biographer tells of Chaplin's affairs often with women under-18
Ex-wife described him as 'short-tempered' man who treated her like a 'cretin'
 hemingway234
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2015 9:33:18 AM
Pictures of dark chocolate.

(seriously, it's all in the pic - Brad Pitt would not need a written section)
 spot4username
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/17/2015 12:34:26 PM

(seriously, it's all in the pic - Brad Pitt would not need a written section)

He would if he wanted to date me. If I get a message I visit the profile first. Then I check all the photos and then I go back and read the message. If the profile is no bueno I won't have any interest. I don't care how handsome a man appears. Poor spelling and grammar will immediately turn me off the profile. Ranting and angry profiles get a "next". Empty profiles get a "next". You get the idea.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/17/2015 2:14:49 PM
Everybody's different.

Try different, but honest, approaches with your profile.

Some women were turned off by the hand lotion and bottle of wine on a night stand picture I used to have on my profile, while others laughed their a$$es off.

Having a similar sense of humor is important to me, so please ladies, don't be shy about posting a picture of what's on your night stands :)
 spot4username
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/17/2015 3:51:30 PM
^^ You think showing the stack of books will get me a date? I'll try it!!
 NJgirl116
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/17/2015 3:57:07 PM
^^^What about my plush stuffed animal? It's not a teddy bear, it's a brown dog.
 ndm147
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/17/2015 7:52:25 PM
Some of the profiles I have read are very well written; command of the English language and articulate. They might mention some interesting books they have read or are open to debating controversial topics.
 cooldog65
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2015 1:04:41 AM

Not mine...
 a_djentleman
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/30/2015 7:07:36 AM
>>>>> Intelligence.

I wish... LOL.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2015 4:21:18 PM
what gets a woman interested, "turned on" is too strong a term as women are more complex than just needing a picture to feel that IMO.

It is too general a question really. However not rocket science. Taller, goodlooking, literate, intelligent, humorous, available, genuine, employed, fit smiling men....oh wait!! They don't have to trawl dating sites....lol!!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/30/2015 6:53:54 PM

Interestingly, I will read profile with no photos - showing that (to me), no photo is better than bad photos.

Any "success" I may have, hinges on such an attitude.

Intelligence is great.

It used to be appreciated more than it is now.

(i.e. not whining about the past)

Ooops.
 Sweetness_and_Light
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/1/2015 5:11:03 AM

uh, Chromis1's?

(Am I being too shameless? lol. It's really the dog............)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Profiles that Turn the Ladies on ???