Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BBEisBack
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful? Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

For the record I think Robin Williams was gorgeous from his Mork and Mindy start all the way through his career.
He could put his boots under my bed any day.

Mindy however was a stick.

Say it isn't so, Sealady, say it isn't so.....

Mork & Mindy, wouldn't have worked without Pam Dawber playing Robin Williams' Straight (Wo)Man...
Most Comedians like Robin Williams, need a Good Straightman, for their Shtick, to work....

It was Pam Dawber, that got me, to tune in Mork & Mindy every Week.......
I'm not sure if it would have been the Hit it was, without her......
It was the Supporting Cast, that let RW's Star shine.........
 sealady111
Msg: 27
Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?
Posted: 10/15/2015 5:22:32 PM
^^ Agree. She was also beautiful and very very skinny.

I still toss eggs in the air and say "FLY. BE FREE"
Brilliant comedy.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2015 5:53:06 PM

^^ Agree. She was also beautiful and very very skinny.

Here we go again, Me disagreeing with the choice of Words.... :)
I just looked at some pics from back then..
I would describe Pam Dawber's build as Average-Slender for that time...
Skinny/thin, to me, would be a Straight Stick, without the Bosom & Hips..
In Fact, I would say She had a Hour Glass Figure, looking at her....
Ratio of Bosom, Waist, & Hips...... She was very Proportional....

Looking at Current Pictures, I would say She has Aged Gracefully & time has been kind to her.....
 Ouija2025
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/15/2015 5:55:51 PM
So now Pam is a stick? sigh If I called a big woman a BSH fur would fly :)
I like that a variety of sizes are embraced in entertainment and now in modeling.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2015 6:11:40 PM
Start watching the women on old black and white tv programs and movies. Watch how they move, a LOT of them wore corsets. I puzzled over that for years, why were they so much slimmer than real life? Then, I saw that they never bent over. Then I saw a woman at a halloween party with one on, and she moved the same way.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2015 6:32:37 PM
Marilyn was much more than just an actress. She was connected to the government and with the mafia and rumoured to be a mind controlled sex slave. She had several pregnancies along the way and a daughter supposedly who has claimed her as her mother.

She knew a lot of dangerous stuff that she diarised and threatened to use. I don't know, it is only what I have read. Well known was her connection to the Kennedy brothers but who knows what the real story is? I heard her psychiatrist had given her an injection in the heart with adrenalin after being drugged. Whether her IQ was actually 168 I am not sure but she was no dumb blonde. Just mentally unstable and insecure with a very difficult childhood including abuse .
 spot4username
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/15/2015 10:08:48 PM
Oh ffs when are people going to stop parroting this garbage? Everyone reading this thread has access to the internet. Look it up. She was tiny. Less than 120 lbs. Five feet five inches tall. Her dresses won't even zip on a size 2 dress form. Why are people so desperate to believe she was fat?
 sealady111
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/16/2015 3:49:53 AM
I just googled Pam Dawber.
There are some photos of her in 2014 with Robin Williams.
She looks magnificent.
Better than the Mork in Mindy days. At least to my eyes.

Maybe it is the big baggy clothing they had her wear back then.
Even now when I look, it seems she is wearing clothing far too big for her other than the belt.
One description of her is waifish.
Fabulous hair, skin and smile.

But then Audrey Hepburn was also super thin and waifish.
Another woman who aged magnificently and considered one of the most beautiful women of all time.
 bAc0nflav0redbac0n
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/16/2015 4:07:06 AM
Marylin Monroe was the quintessential sensualist -- and a bright and savvy business person.

She had the perfect,mperfect figure; shapely and healthy, at least outwardly.

Her body was also racked with pain and discomfort. She has endured so much, in her life

The discussion regarding her body shape and size and whether it matches with standards of today that are so different, really depreciates her value and artistic contribution to art and cinema.

Sadly, people still feel they have the right to consume her -- her body -- posthumously and not appreciate her for what she really contributed....
 ohenryx
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2015 7:38:09 AM

sealady111
I am not sure about Lucille Ball but I think Goldie Hawn had a very long term, loving loving together relationship.

from IMDB
Goldie has been married twice. First to actor/director Gus Trikonis, from 1969 to 1974. In 1975, she married musician Bill Hudson and became a mother, for the first time, in 1976, when she gave birth to their son, Oliver Hudson. In 1979, she had her second child with Hudson, daughter Kate Hudson. The marriage ended in divorce in 1980. Since 1983, she has been in a relationship with actor Kurt Russell.

Since 1983 -- that's 32 years and counting.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2015 1:13:01 PM

I just googled Pam Dawber.
There are some photos of her in 2014 with Robin Williams.
She looks magnificent.
Better than the Mork in Mindy days. At least to my eyes.

Maybe it is the big baggy clothing they had her wear back then.
Even now when I look, it seems she is wearing clothing far too big for her other than the belt.
One description of her is waifish.
Fabulous hair, skin and smile.

Yes Pam Dawber wore baggy clothes sometimes, it was part of the Character She was portraying...
Other Scenes, She had on Form Fitting outfits, like the link below....
Like I said before, in 1978-1980, I would have said She was Average/Slender.....

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/08/16/1227026/550315-91cd499c-237f-11e4-9066-0beb7f687196.jpg

She had a Bust, Waist, & Hips.... I save Skinny for those, that are a Straight Build..
Ones that don't have a Curve in at the Waist...
Not that there's anything wrong with them, either..
 sealady111
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/16/2015 1:32:08 PM
Agreed.
In that photo she is magnificent.
So is he.

christ on a crutch
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2015 9:02:48 PM

It is sad however that the world's most beautiful woman could not find true love.

authenticity and its acceptance are a key to love. but she was an actress, a professional phony, surrounded by professional phonies who valued polished phoniness above all. small wonder someone drawn to that world couldn't manage it.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/17/2015 2:17:00 PM
Curves in the right places are indeed beautiful.

Rubenesque and voluptuous sound like apt choices to describe curvy women :)
 Seki1949
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2015 3:41:47 PM
I never felt any attraction for the big busty sexa bomba's of the 50's-60's. All seem to fall under my personal category of 'Last Woman on Earth.' It's not just my age as I have found other women of that time period to be sexy and/or attractive. YMMV.

As to the comments about Pam Dawber's clothing, Diane Keaton popularized baggy clothes in 'Annie Hall'. Maybe it was just the fashion of the period?

Now I have always had a crush on Diane Keaton, but I understand from reading between the lines that she is, ahem, 'difficult' in personal relationships.
 cooldog65
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2015 1:26:37 AM
For me, I have never understood the fascination with Marilyn Monroe.

Sophia Loren, Gina Lollobrigida, and Raquel Welch had better curves.
 Maleman999
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/18/2015 8:03:57 AM
If Munroe was still alive, she would be 89 years old. I doubt anybody would be talking about her curves if she was alive, unless it was about curvature of the spine. It makes one wonder why people are fascinated with dead celebrities-especially if they died in the prime of their lives. Why isn't there the same fascination with 90 year old celebrities who are still alive, and who were sex symbols in their heyday-when in their 20's and 30's? Why isn't anybody talking about how sexy they looked back then? I never hear anybody talk about how hot and sexy Betty White was back in her younger days, and what size dress she wore-or any other ancient celebrity.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/18/2015 10:49:16 AM

Oh ffs when are people going to stop parroting this garbage? Everyone reading this thread has access to the internet. Look it up. She was tiny. Less than 120 lbs. Five feet five inches tall. Her dresses won't even zip on a size 2 dress form. Why are people so desperate to believe she was fat?

I was wondering the exact same thing. Why are so many folks (mainly other women, it would seem), so desperate to believe Marilyn Monroe was overweight? To feel better about their own size?

She was not only very tiny, but she also had a small bust, so she wasn't particularly curvy, either:

http://www.artvalue.com/photos/auction/0/38/38216/stern-bert-1929-2013-usa-marilyn-monroe-with-orange-and-1303242.jpg
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/18/2015 11:56:54 AM
not saying I'm a fan, but when I see Nicky Manage on a late show or SNL or whatever, I do find I can't look away. In a good way. You wanna talk about curves. She's very intriguing.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/18/2015 2:23:35 PM
Doll you mean Nicki Minaj :) I like her - her attitude and her music. Glad she stopped all those bizarre wig wearing moments.
MM wasn't large.. I don't know why people want to pretend she was.
 sealady111
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/18/2015 4:06:48 PM
Clothing can do a lot to enhance body shape.

I purchased some shapewear on the weekend.
Really smooths some bumps and lumps and shoves others up and out.

Quotes from Bridget Jones movie comes to mind as to what is best to help getting to the crucial moment and what is needed AT the crucial moment. lol
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2015 11:58:57 PM
there again Bridget Jones was hardly overweight. All that talk about being fat was just ridiculous. Renee Zellwegger put on quite a few pounds to make herself average and is now skeletal thin again. I think I know what I would prefer if I were a man. Something soft and curvy in a woman.
 spot4username
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/19/2015 7:41:22 AM
^^ If you lived in a town of Sumo wrestlers morbid obesity would be average. Would it be okay to be that large because it is considered average? People need to stop normalizing obesity. It is not healthy. Stop calling fat people average because there are so many other fat people and you want them to feel good about themselves. They should not feel good. They should want to be healthy. Extremes on either end of the spectrum are unhealthy.

I love my sons too much to allow myself to become obese or drink to excess or do drugs or any of the things that could change their lives because I was selfish.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/19/2015 9:00:45 AM
Finding the average
Finding the average is a very straightforward concept. If you have a set of numbers, the average is found by adding all numbers in the set and dividing their sum by the total number of numbers added in the set.

Stop calling fat people average because there are so many other fat people.

Example: There are 17 women, 5 ft 5 tall, between 120 lbs and 200 lbs, meeting for lunch.

Recommended weight per height:
5'5" (height including 1 in heel)

117-130 small frame

127-141 med frame

137-155 large frame

Give or take the "Average" weight in the room with 17 ladies is 160 lbs.

Googled "Average weight of American women".
166.3 pounds
In 1960, the average American male weighed about 166.3 pounds, which was the average weight for American women in 2010 at 166.2 pounds, which marks about a 18.5 percent increase. The average weight for women in 1960 was 140 pounds, according to the CDC report.Jun 15, 2015
 spot4username
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/19/2015 9:52:25 AM

Finding the average
Finding the average is a very straightforward concept. If you have a set of numbers, the average is found by adding all numbers in the set and dividing their sum by the total number of numbers added in the set.

Yes, I understand how math works. I also understand that I don't want to be average if average is fat. I am also not going to say it is okay to be fat because everyone else is. What a pathetic crutch.

Googled "Average weight of American women".
166.3 pounds

I can't imagine being that large. No thanks. I guess I will just have to be happy going through life not being average.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?