Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 51
Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful? Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

I think I know what I would prefer if I were a man. Something soft and curvy in a woman.

A woman can be curvaceous without being overweight. Sofia Vergara is a good example. She's slender at 5'7" and 125 lbs, but has a natural hourglass figure that many men find attractive.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?
Posted: 10/19/2015 12:34:54 PM
The implication that only overweight women can be feminine and attractive really gets on my nerves.

I've worked very hard in the past year, and have lost about 30 lbs. I did this mainly to be healthier, not to be more attractive. I am now very close to a 24 BMI with good muscle tone and excellent fitness.

My husband, who loved and adored me when I was 30 lbs. overweight, likes me even better now and tells me daily how soft and delicious I am. Personally, I know I still have a good twenty pounds of extra fat and would prefer to be 120 lbs. at 5'3" rather than 140. But I also know that I have to get there (if I do), in a sustainable way because I'm not willing to drive myself crazy to be skinny.

If I get there, great. If not, at least I have a healthy weight now.

Being in the obese range is not healthy unless you're a body builder with a massive amount of muscles. And it's not more feminine than being healthy and having hips and breast rather than lumps around the middle. Lumps are not curves, and there's not need to "choose" between being fat and feminine and thin and boyish. There's a middle ground, and moreover, some very slender women still have feminine curves.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/19/2015 12:43:47 PM
Renee Zellwiger (or whatever) was NOT FAT in the first Bridget Jones movie. Anyone who thinks she is may have an eating disorder or a warped sense of body image. She looked like crap in the second movie but apparently the producer wanted to present her as greasy haired, shiny moon faced, and duck footed. Meanwhile Hugh Grant looks like a tanned, fit sex god. IMO. :)

In the books Bridget lamented over weighing 139 pounds. Sure sounds morbidly obese to me. :/

I don’t care what other people weigh, or what other people think of my weight. who cares what other people think is “average,” “fat,” or anything else. Demanding others see life as you do is a futile waste of time. and cruelty is unattractive.

I love the scene when Daniel (Hugh Grant) sees her scary knickers and says “Hello Mummy.” He was quite charming until he wasn’t. :/
 patchjoker13
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/22/2015 8:27:33 AM
I think Mindy Kaling is cute and she is curvy. I think that ladies with some meat on their bones can be very sexy and I know a lot of guys that feel the same way.
 grover14
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2015 9:58:58 AM
Yes, yes, yes, I love curvy women, I even say that in my profile. The key for me is she must have confidence and not have a double chin.
 Meagan06825
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/24/2015 6:15:46 AM
I would love to have curves. I've always been skinny. But the funny thing is there are as many skinny admirers as there are curvy admirers. I think being healthy and fit is beautiful regardless of skinny or curvy. We are the victims of our genetics BUT ONLY UP TO A CERTAIN POINT.

I think men and women who are obese or unhealthy need to own it and work on it. If not willing to do that then just take responsibility and accept the consequences of their choices.
 sealady111
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/24/2015 4:32:06 PM
I have a female friend who is 5'0" and very slight.
She is smaller and skinnier than her 11 year old daughter.

I accidentally walked in on her changing a few months ago and to me her body is that of a pubescent girl.
Note: Her daughter is not her biological daughter. She has never given birth.
And she and the 11 year old used to share each other's clothing.
The 11 year old could not do that any more.

She rarely wears fitting clothing. Always flowing.
Last night for the first time ever she described herself as skinny.
I hope she is alright.

Yes men find her very attractive and yes she is beautiful.
Just about everywhere we go she is approached by men but she is oblivious.

Perhaps we can share. She can have some of my padding.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/24/2015 7:38:33 PM
you need to stop
She is alright
Sheesh
 sealady111
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/24/2015 9:26:31 PM
Agreed.
Time to stop.

Today's first meet date....... underwhelming.

Time to stop.
Where are the cats.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/25/2015 5:55:40 AM
Sometimes when a woman becomes too curvy, she needs to de-curvify herself w/ diet & exercise
 Ouija2025
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/25/2015 6:17:22 AM
yea, and stop the flippin thin shaming. Tearing down someone else to make one feel better isn't a charming trait.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/25/2015 6:31:36 AM
^^^ur right Ouija, we should all embrace what God/Mother Nature gave us & work w/ what we have. Some people are naturally slender, some not.

If one is happy as is, then one should accept it & not complain. But if one complains, obviously one is not happy & should try to elicit a change.

PS- b/w me & my man we have 5 cats & a 6th who comes & goes...so cats have nothing to do w/ it, it's a myth ;0D
 prairiefire60
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/25/2015 9:05:29 PM
So glad to know that my 10 pound weight gain has nothing to do with wine, cheesecake or lasagna. Apparently getting my nails done once a month with OPI polish for the last 15 years is going to kill me. Good thing I don't want any kids, I'm probably sterile too.
 prairiefire60
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/26/2015 6:40:31 AM
I made a lighthearted comment about my recent weight gain. A joke, tongue in cheek, humour.

And if you're going to get all pissy about "trolls", maybe quote an article, give a reference , cite a source. How can anyone read an article, book, magazine, book, paper, etc. if no source is stated.
 o0BrownEyedGirl0o
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/26/2015 1:17:01 PM
Google it, silly.

http://www.ewg.org/research/nailed/nail-polish-chemical-doubles-furniture-fire-retardant
 ThePig0fTheOpera
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/26/2015 2:03:52 PM

I would love to have curves. I've always been skinny. But the funny thing is there are as many skinny admirers as there are curvy admirers. I think being healthy and fit is beautiful regardless of skinny or curvy. We are the victims of our genetics BUT ONLY UP TO A CERTAIN POINT.

You are smoking hot just the way you are.

I ain't lyin'.
 jessebunnies
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2015 7:14:21 AM

men that like thin/athletic women and men who like women with curves.
Online, there are a disproportionate amount of men that seem to prefer the thin/athletic build.

There's this whole confusion with the definition of "curves" mostly created by women who are over weight. To most men the definition of "curvy" is thin waist, thick thighs, nice round booty, and full breasts. It DOES NOT mean rolls of fat! Curvy figures are size 6-10 by today's sizes. These types of figures are most often seen by women who are athletes, workout fairly heavily with weights, squats ect. and/or plastic surgery. Beyonce, Kim K, Jennifer Lawerence, Iggy Azala, Eva Mendes, Christina Hendricks, J-Lo ect. These women are NOT fat. They work out and therefore have muscle tone, definition and gained "thickness" around their thighs and butts because of it. Curvy is height, weight to hip ratio proportionate.

A lot of women try to excuse the fact that their overweight by saying their "curvy". Please stop saying your "curvy" and call it what it is, over weight! It's fine to be over weight if that's what makes you happy but call it what it is!
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/1/2015 7:29:21 AM
They're not their.

You're not your.

Folks can choose how to describe themselves but ultimately the viewers perspective is what matters.

- PoF grammar police
 spot4username
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/1/2015 7:30:54 AM
^^^
I said it before; they are confusing lumps with curves. As a woman who is actually curvy it frustrates me that I feel I can't use the word to describe myself because it has been hijacked by the obese.
 cooldog65
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2015 7:42:04 AM
jessebunnies...

There's this whole confusion with the definition of "curves" mostly created by women who are over weight. To most men the definition of "curvy" is thin waist, thick thighs, nice round booty, and full breasts. It DOES NOT mean rolls of fat! Curvy figures are size 6-10 by today's sizes. These types of figures are most often seen by women who are athletes, workout fairly heavily with weights, squats ect. and/or plastic surgery. Beyonce, Kim K, Jennifer Lawerence, Iggy Azala, Eva Mendes, Christina Hendricks, J-Lo ect. These women are NOT fat. They work out and therefore have muscle tone, definition and gained "thickness" around their thighs and butts because of it. Curvy is height, weight to hip ratio proportionate. 

A lot of women try to excuse the fact that their overweight by saying their "curvy". Please stop saying your "curvy" and call it what it is, over weight! It's fine to be over weight if that's what makes you happy but call it what it is!

I give this statement a standing applause...

The term "thick" also gets the same wrong treatment as "curvy".
 revoskeepnus
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2015 9:19:13 PM
you can be overweight and curvy and not a size 10. you can be 'obese' by doctor's standards and truly healthy/strong.
 o0BrownEyedGirl0o
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/2/2015 4:58:21 AM

PoF grammar police

and it is 'than' not 'then' (in context)

*********ducking**********
 spot4username
Msg: 73
Posted: 11/2/2015 7:12:21 AM

you can be overweight and curvy and not a size 10. you can be 'obese' by doctor's standards and truly healthy/strong.

I am not even sure what this is supposed to mean. I can't tell if you are trying to say that you believe a 10 to be big or small.

A doctor is trained to tell the difference between a healthy/strong person and an obese person. If they honestly believe a person to be healthy they will say so.

I don't see anyone in any of these threads who is overweight and looks "healthy/strong".
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/2/2015 1:29:50 PM
I dunno….I’d think a good man would pay more attention to a woman’s attitude toward and treatment of others over what friggin word she chooses to describe herself.

I don’t think any mature, adult woman needs a scolding lecture on how to do that, either.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/2/2015 4:46:41 PM

As a woman who is actually curvy it frustrates me that I feel I can't use the word to describe myself because it has been hijacked by the obese.

Really? The words you wish you could use to describe YOURSELF (curvy~) are now co=opted by the OBESE? And you feel frustrated by that? So now you believe that if YOU describe yourself as CURVY you will be suspected of being one of those OBESE people who go around co=opting the very language that we use to describe our bodies. And we all know, that just aint right!

How dare they
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?