Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 revoskeepnus
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful? Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
my ideal weight according to BMI charts is from 126-167.

I am hotter than heck at 170, not a bit fat.

126 I look like an anorexic crackhead (in fact was on meth last time i was that skinny)>

I'm 185... so I'm 15 over what I like to be, but anything 168 and above is considered 'overweight' by that stupid BMI chart which is what medical professionals generally go by.

that's what I meant. anyways, lick my cellulite and let's arm wrestle :P
 yourstillhere
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?
Posted: 11/4/2015 5:38:44 PM
Anything that looks less like a mans shape becomes more attractive to me, and big curvy women are just that, NOT man like.
HOT!
 south_city
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/6/2015 6:50:21 AM

There's this whole confusion with the definition of "curves" mostly created by women who are over weight. To most men the definition of "curvy" is thin waist, thick thighs, nice round booty, and full breasts. It DOES NOT mean rolls of fat! Curvy figures are size 6-10 by today's sizes. These types of figures are most often seen by women who are athletes, workout fairly heavily with weights, squats ect. and/or plastic surgery. Beyonce, Kim K, Jennifer Lawerence, Iggy Azala, Eva Mendes, Christina Hendricks, J-Lo ect. These women are NOT fat. They work out and therefore have muscle tone, definition and gained "thickness" around their thighs and butts because of it. Curvy is height, weight to hip ratio proportionate.

A lot of women try to excuse the fact that their overweight by saying their "curvy". Please stop saying your "curvy" and call it what it is, over weight! It's fine to be over weight if that's what makes you happy but call it what it is!

For the most part, I agree with this. I know body type can be subjective to subjective to some extent. But there are women that claim to be "curvy" or a "few" pounds overweight when they are obviously obese. Having said that, if a person has full body shots are relatively recent and accurate, then other people can make their own assessments.

I'm 185... so I'm 15 over what I like to be, but anything 168 and above is considered 'overweight' by that stupid BMI chart which is what medical professionals generally go by.

I think most doctors know BMI isn't always accurate. Men that are very muscular might be considered to be borderline obese by the BMI.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2019 10:23:01 PM
Actually she wasnt. Mostly she was about 10-12.... Australian. Especially in the later years. At her autopsy she was about 118 pounds at 5'6" .. I heard a guy who has seen her gowns say she was quite small. Her waist was very small and made her hips look bigger...

Size 14 is about average and it depends on where the weight is distributed how a woman looks and her height. .
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2019 10:25:20 PM
revoskeepnus
Case in point. Ignore the weight charts..... If I was the ideal weight according to those charts I would have no boobs and I dont want that.

What height are you?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 2:41:01 PM

She was not.

She was a size 10, which translates to about a size 6 as we have it now - if that.

BINGO! :)
 purplerider1200
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 3:37:48 PM
And the word is "Curvy"

A ball is curvy. So's a car.

The word curvy does not describe convex or concave. Marilyn had a few concave curves. That tiny little bit of information gets left out when some women describe themselves as curvy. An innocent omission, that can be as big as all outdoors. Are their square people? No. (Only in their tastes) So curvy describes everyone.

Care to field "Real women"?
(Another one of those misleading terms that makes people bomb out when dating)
 BendingBough19
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/6/2019 5:26:15 PM
The person who pointed out the difference in sizing between then and now is bang on. I wore a larger size than now in secondary school, despite weighing more now. We are talking about several sizes, not just one. And if I had money to buy more expensive lines of clothing, my size would go down again in many cases. Clothing size is an illusion in lots of cases.
 spectravision
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 9:06:51 AM
It's common practice for clothing manufactures. people who print Apparel to downsize garments for Women so we would make an XL Sweater/T-Shirt into a Large, Large to medium etc ;)

I have personally done it at an old job I was at for years.
 Lindatasy
Msg: 85
Posted: 5/7/2019 10:26:43 PM
Clothing sizes for women are all over the place. I can wear jeans ranging from size 2 to 6, depending on the style, manufacturer, etc. A size 8 is huge on me, and I'm not skinny, so I find it hard to believe that Marilyn was a size 10. She was probably a size 4 or 6. She was not skinny either, but she had "real" curves.
 2ufo
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2019 8:03:25 AM
I wonder if designer clothing or tailor-made for the individual even has sizing...
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2019 8:07:48 AM
^^^

I wonder if designer clothing or tailor-made for the individual even has sizing...

Interesting question.

Size 'zero'?

hahahahaha
 cooldog65
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2019 10:54:44 AM
Marilyn had some curves, but comes up short when compared to Betty Brosmer, Anita Ekberg, Jayne Mansfield, Gina Lollobrigida, Sophia Loren, and Raquel Welch.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2019 4:38:05 PM
Since I would buy for my then wife, (Just to surprise her) I educated myself on the fine art of taking a cloth tape measure with me, and I knew what in inches she was.

Are women's clothing sizes all over the road? About like most drunks are behind the wheel.
 julystorm22
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2019 1:19:35 PM
Sizing is ridiculous. Depending on the length of the clothing and the amount of room for a bust or butt, things may or may not fit. My jeans are size 14 if the waist is high enough. My shirt size is large usually but a lot of large sized shirts won't fit my bust so I have to go bigger. What I was told about older clothing like from Marilyn Monroe's day was that the clothes were smaller in some areas of the body but they left room for the bust and butt. Curves were the norm for clothing back then. In fact, many women without an ample butt or bosom would have to get their clothing taken in. Now so many clothing they make for people without big curves.
 Lindatasy
Msg: 91
Posted: 5/11/2019 10:22:06 AM
Julystorm, yes, sizing is totally ridiculous. It's also impossible to make clothes that fit and flatter all shapes and sizes. I'm top-heavy and short-waisted, so if I wear a lose-fitting top, I look like a balloon. I really have to fit something slightly fitted (not skin-tight, so uncomfortable) to look decent. My shirt size is always bigger than my bottom size, but here, too, I have a protruding butt (thanks sway-back), and thus also a hard time finding jeans that fit well. They either fit my butt or my waist, but rarely both, unless I buy super-stretchy jeans. Also, I always put on a few pounds over the winter regardless of what I eat or if I exercise. As soon as spring comes around, I drop that weight without any effort. I'm weird like that. So I essentially have different sizes depending on the season.
 julystorm22
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2019 10:53:33 PM
Me too, in regards to gaining weight in winter. I have thyroid problems and part of that is my metabolism slowing down when it gets colder and I lack the energy to exercise all the time in the winter.
Posted: 5/12/2019 3:54:02 AM

Marilyn had some curves, but comes up short when compared to Betty Brosmer, Anita Ekberg, Jayne Mansfield, Gina Lollobrigida, Sophia Loren, and Raquel Welch.

Yeah, I have to agree here. Marilyn was nothing to sneeze at, but I would have taken any of the others mentioned here over her.
 cooldog65
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 10:26:41 AM

Yeah, I have to agree here. Marilyn was nothing to sneeze at, but I would have taken any of the others mentioned here over her.

Being the very first Playboy centerfold contributed greatly to her fame and popularity.
 spectravision
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 10:46:14 AM
Didn't the Kennedy's play pass the parcel with her :)

Make me think of this with the chuckle brothers To you, to me.

https://youtu.be/qGZU61k1ibw?t=57

Posted: 5/12/2019 1:43:53 PM
Damn. This short clip has 32 million views. Holy shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0z1Bc-ExVE
 julystorm22
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2019 10:52:50 AM
And you just added one more...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. Are curves beautiful?